ImageImageImageImageImage

Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#1 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Sep 8, 2019 4:49 pm

This will be fun

https://nypost.com/2019/09/07/derrick-rose-phil-jacksons-meddling-doomed-my-knicks/

Derrick Rose: Phil Jackson’s meddling doomed my Knicks
By Derrick Rose and Sam Smith September 7, 2019 | 9:03pm

This excerpt of “I’ll Show You,” by Derrick Rose with Sam Smith, is presented with permission from Triumph Books. For more information or to order a copy, please visit http://www.triumphbooks.com/derrickrose

With the basketball, the way Phil [Jackson] had talked, and with [Joakim Noah] and [Carmelo Anthony], I really thought we were going to do something.

But when it came to the basketball, I knew right away that we were s–t.

I played through it, 60-some games, but I could tell right away it wasn’t the season I was expecting. Lot of different priorities. Melo’s there. You know how he plays. Can’t change that. That’s what I realized being there. And he’s a great dude; I loved being around Melo. He ain’t gonna rub you the wrong way. Great dude, great spirit, great person, great teammate.

I don’t say much, but Phil could tell. Phil was telling me to be patient. He said I had a lot going on with the trial and all. He was honest with me. Everything he talked to me about, he was honest, I’ll say that.

Our relationship was a little weird, though. He was cool the whole time I was there, but he wanted that $60 million he was owed by the Knicks.

As for me, I liked Phil, but, come on, man, you’re still running the triangle? He was still forcing them to run it. I’m a slasher, a driving point guard. The triangle is okay, but not for the personnel we had. Melo couldn’t play that way, didn’t want to.

With me leaving Chicago, I really was into the game, really wanted to do something. New York with Jo and Phil and Melo and leaving Chicago, it just sounded like it was going to be special. Getting back to winning. I had high expectations and I wanted to perform. I felt the spark. But we never had a flow on the offensive or defensive end. I felt like being there we never did the extra things to win the game, make the hustle play or the extra pass. We played numerous games where we’d hit a point where it just all fell apart. We had an alright start, playing around .500 ball into December, but you could tell it was getting worse. We knew it was only a matter of time.

Coming in, especially in the East, a team like that you know can compete, a team with that talent. They were trying to do it for Melo; he didn’t want to start over so they wanted to get the veterans for him. But he can’t play with a lot of guys, he’s gotta be the main guy. Supposed to be a top-five team. You should just fall into winning games with that much talent, but we were struggling to stay in it at halftime. It was frustrating, but at the same time all of it was out of our control. Jo and I used to talk about that all the time. Phil wanted us to play a certain way and we had to listen. What can you do?

Early on in the season, Phil really didn’t force anything. But as time went on, it converted all the way to the triangle and we played through that almost the whole year. For the team we had, I think deep down [coach Jeff] Hornacek really wanted to play that more up-tempo style. But being in that position, being a new head coach, having to listen to the front office, it’s hard on that coach to say something. He’s moved around, he’d been fired in Phoenix. I guess Hornacek got tired of hearing about it, having meetings about it, so he just said, “We’re gonna do it and see.”

It also took a lot out of us. It’s hard to go into games knowing there’s a point during the game where the game slips away. You can feel it. The whole team can feel it. But that was every other night.

There were times during a game where we would play free. And it didn’t matter what we did. We’d end up coming back, and Phil would be like, “What’s that?” I remember one time we beat Boston and he told Hornacek he didn’t like the way we finished that game. We ended up winning the game. Melo got kicked out the game or something like that, something crazy, but Phil didn’t like the way we finished that game. It’s like, “Damn, in the league you’re happy to get a win.”

Most coaches come in and they’re like, “That was ugly, but bring it in! Enjoy your night. Nothing crazy tonight.” You know what I mean? Enjoy it because it’s hard to even get one win in this league. I’ve talked to Kobe [Bryant] about the triangle — you saw it with the Bulls and [Michael Jordan], you can do it and it works — but we were a new team with new players and a new coach, and because of Melo and the way he played, we needed to do something now, and you need some time with that offense.

I actually loved my experience being in New York. Cool place. With the way things were the last couple of years in Chicago, I saw I needed a break.

When I left the Knicks that day in January 2017, that’s what it was about. I just needed to go home.

I went to the crib with my mom. Everybody came over to the house to talk. That’s the first time, one of the few times, where we sat down as a whole family and had a serious discussion like that.

I had decided I was done playing. I saw the same thing that was happening with the Bulls was going on with New York. I could tell that the season wasn’t going to be the season everyone thought, that I thought. I didn’t know if I wanted to hoop anymore. Especially when it started to feel like a business. Of course, you know it’s a business. They always say that. But you know it’s also hoopin’. But it had started to feel like all business, no joy. That’s when I wanted out. I wasn’t having fun.

The court case probably had something to do with it when I think back on it, but the love wasn’t the same. I had too many distractions.

Yes, a lot of that falls on myself. I didn’t have to leave, but at the time it felt like I was the only one going through what I was going through. My family talked me into going back.

It was the family, a long conversation, a lot of crying, yelling. It was crazy, but it’s good to know they were behind me. It was a mixed feeling in the room; they know me and they know I know what I want to do. You got one group saying that and you got one group who’s like, “F–k that! You gotta get through. You gotta play the games.”

That’s when I realized it was a game within the game. I wasn’t good at playing the game, at bullsh–ing. Like I said, with me growing up where and how I did and seeing everything, I tried to avoid becoming someone who did that. But the profession I was now in kind of demands it.

I feel like I played great, but then had to have surgery again at the end of the season with the Knicks. By then I had changed my way of thinking. I really was in a great place. I wanted to be a Knick. It was just I had to have a surgery again. I had to prep myself for a rehab again. But I was now working with Judy Seto, this great lady who worked for the Lakers, the Dodgers, and I knew I would come out of this right.

I should have said something to someone that I was leaving to go home that day, but it was me just being me, me doing what I wanted to do. Looking back, I understood it probably worked against me with them. They felt they couldn’t trust me, maybe. I wanted to go back to my family. Phil knew they — the Knicks — wouldn’t have understood where I was coming from. Phil was always the coolest for me to deal with. But even my family didn’t understand where I was coming from at that time. That’s why I really needed to do what I wanted to do. And then come back because it was what I wanted to do after we all talked about it.

But the whole experience did open my eyes to a lot of things. New York, they could have given me my Bird rights before getting rid of me. That or working some kind of deal where, “Derrick, we’re thinking of going in another direction. We’re thinking of this Ntilikina kid in France. We respect you, but we wanna go in another direction.” I would’ve respected that. Maybe something like what Sacramento did for George Hill, keep a veteran around to help the kids get going. Sacramento paid him and knew he was going to be the backup to De’Aaron Fox. You know what I mean? They looked out for him.

New York could have done the same thing. I would have done that. Me stepping away from the team that day had nothing to do with them; I was good with New York. But they didn’t sign me, didn’t even talk to me. No communication. I thought, “I just gave y’all 18 a game. At the point guard position. And you go draft a point guard?”

Steve Mills is talking all this black dude stuff with me, like we’re brothers and all this. He’s saying that s–t, making me think it’s going to make us closer. Come on, be yourself.

I loved New York. We were losing but I felt I was playing great. I felt like they still could have built something — or attempted to. They got rid of me but I definitely wanted to stay there.

It was a new way of basketball life for me, to not be sure where I was going to play next. I knew I’d be playing, so I just focused on working out, keep up with rehab, get in shape, and have to show you again.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,605

Re: Derrick Rose authored a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#2 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Sep 8, 2019 4:52 pm

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Re: Derrick Rose authors a book with a chapter on the Knicks 

Post#3 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sun Sep 8, 2019 4:55 pm

It's insane to me how Rose thought he was playing great and scoring 18ppg was some sort of accomplishment.

Everything he said was mostly true, but he needs to hold himself accountable. He was trash from the 3pt line, defensively, and playmaking he constantly didnt see the open man. He doesnt realize that he also contributed to that losing season and wasn't playing winning bball.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,352

Post#4 » by F N 11 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 4:59 pm

The triangle aspects works for the Warriors fine tho we just sucked and D Rose was one of the main reasons.

I know we should of switched how we play but you can’t do that with you and Melo refusing to change your game.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
prolific96
Junior
And1: 118

Post#5 » by prolific96 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:07 pm

Sounds like more of an indictment of Melo than Phil.

"Melo’s there. You know how he plays. Can’t change that..."

"Melo couldn’t play that way, didn’t want to..."

"They were trying to do it for Melo; he didn’t want to start over so they wanted to get the veterans for him. But he can’t play with a lot of guys, he’s gotta be the main guy."
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#6 » by Da_Mane_Man » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:10 pm

Two big takeaways from that:

1. Everyone knew Melo was a selfish player and wasn't gonna change. Phil was right to trade him, and probably should've done it sooner. Can't build a team around a guy like that.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:

2. STEVE MILLS IS AN IDIOT AND HE'S STILL HERE AND HE'S EVEN MORE POWERFUL!
Steve Mills is talking all this black dude stuff with me, like we’re brothers and all this. He’s saying that s–t, making me think it’s going to make us closer. Come on, be yourself.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Honestly guys, we're f**ked. We're not going anywhere as long as Mills is here.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,959

Post#7 » by Capn'O » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:26 pm

Derrick Rose was there. You know how he plays. Can't change that.

Rose was straight awful here.

BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,217

Post#8 » by Hes_On_Fire » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:34 pm

Rose is not the first nor the last player to criticize Melo's style of play.

Nor is he the first and last player to criticize Steve Mills and Phil/the Triangle.

Don't see much wrong with what he said even if i didn't like him as a player.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#9 » by AllanHoustonFan » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:51 pm

All this stuff he is saying about Melo is funny to me. We all know Melo was out to get his but Derrick Rose still thinks he is "2011 MVP Rose" to this day.
#MKGA
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#10 » by Capn'O » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:52 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:Rose is not the first nor the last player to criticize Melo's style of play.

Nor is he the first and last player to criticize Steve Mills and Phil/the Triangle.

Don't see much wrong with what he said even if i didn't like him as a player.

So, you think the part where he says the team should have extended and traded him is just fine? Or where he could have stayed on as a mentor?

I'm sorry, his entire self evaluation in that passage is absolutely delusional.
BAF Clippers

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#11 » by dakomish23 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:04 pm

Sounds like an indictment on everyone but the man in the mirror

He was awful on both ends of the floor.

Glad he dragged Pjax for what he was. His way or the highway
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#12 » by Capn'O » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:17 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Glad he dragged Pjax for what he was. His way or the highway

His triangle obsession was one of the weirdest things I've seen in sports. Really undermined Fish too. I figured he'd eventually figure out he wasn't the coach and move past it but he didn't.
BAF Clippers

NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,442

Post#13 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:21 pm

That season was horrible lol. Thought melo would carry over his 4+ assist type play from the previous year but nope lol. Like he said we finally got a PG so now I can go back to getting mines lmao.

Rose was straight trash when it came to running the team. He could get his but the team suffered
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,605

Post#14 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:29 pm

It’s cool that Rose spoke highly of the Knicks to Taj Gibson. Noah too..even though I still don’t like him for not giving a damn when he was here
He claims that two unlikely sources provided positive reviews: ex-Bulls teammates Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah. Their respective stints in New York were disappointing, especially Noah’s.
“For years and years I’ve been asking about the Knicks. I always see different guys. My old teammates, Joakim, Derrick, they spoke highly of the Knicks even though things didn’t go the way they wanted to go. I just thought it was an opportunity. A lot of guys shy away from the opportunity. I didn’t shy away from it. I took it on.”
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,001

Post#15 » by god shammgod » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:43 pm

the guy who put these pieces together is the same guy who tried to forced them to play a way that none of them liked and undermined the bad coaches he hired. is there really anybody else at fault ? rose was washed when we traded for him. noah was washed when we grossly overpaid him. melo was a year or two away from being done. lee was overpaid and doesn't get minutes on a bad team (so he might be washed too now). jennings was washed. willy was bad. lance was terrible. kyle was mostly bad (that's right). kuz wasn't an nba player. sasha wasn't an nba player. ron baker wasn't an nba player. ndour wasn't an nba player. that's what he put together. he thought that was good. why blame the players at all ?

the kp pick is thee only thing that saved him. and we all know, if we're being honest, that was really the god kevin wilson. thank you.
VECTORMAN
Ballboy
And1: 57

Post#16 » by VECTORMAN » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:52 pm

I guess Rose didn't use a ghost writer or a co-author. Not the smoothest read.

But of course... anyone with half a brain knows Melo was probably our biggest problem, despite all of Rose's flaws, despite Noah being too lit, and despite the triangle fiasco. I've always maintained, it was Melo's refusal to share the ball that doomed us more than anything. No defense and no teamwork from your "best player" = no chance.
VECTORMAN
Ballboy
And1: 57

Post#17 » by VECTORMAN » Sun Sep 8, 2019 6:53 pm

god shammgod wrote:the guy who put these pieces together is the same guy who tried to forced them to play a way that none of them liked and undermined the bad coaches he hired. is there really anybody else at fault ? rose was washed when we traded for him. noah was washed when we grossly overpaid him. melo was a year or two away from being done. lee was overpaid and doesn't get minutes on a bad team (so he might be washed too now). jennings was washed. willy was bad. lance was terrible. kyle was mostly bad (that's right). kuz wasn't an nba player. sasha wasn't an nba player. ron baker wasn't an nba player. ndour wasn't an nba player. that's what he put together. he thought that was good. why blame the players at all ?

the kp pick is thee only thing that saved him. and we all know, if we're being honest, that was really the god kevin wilson. thank you.

Stealth tank, baby!!!
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,001

Post#18 » by god shammgod » Sun Sep 8, 2019 7:00 pm

our biggest problem was the team was terrible. if melo passed more how many more wins do you think we would have got with that terrible roster ? maybe 5

it's 3 years ago and most of the roster is out of the league or doesn't play really. what does that tell you ?
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,190
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#19 » by BKlutch » Sun Sep 8, 2019 7:18 pm

VECTORMAN wrote:I guess Rose didn't use a ghost writer or a co-author. Not the smoothest read.

But of course... anyone with half a brain knows Melo was probably our biggest problem, despite all of Rose's flaws, despite Noah being too lit, and despite the triangle fiasco. I've always maintained, it was Melo's refusal to share the ball that doomed us more than anything. No defense and no teamwork from your "best player" = no chance.

If you've ever heard Rose talk, you know he DID use a ghost writer. Maybe the ghost writer was awful, or wanted us to thing (yeah, right) it was Rose writing.

Oh, Gee, I see we're playing D. Powered by the after-Burner

HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#20 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 7:19 pm

but but why he being black balled tho :lol:
This is why people hate Dolan. He stepped in and brought Me-low here. He hired Phil. He loves himself some Mills and Isiah. And why the F is Mills still here? Dolan is fine when he doesn't impose himself into basketball operations, and the team will be fine too.

As for Rose, he was never a playmaker or a floor general, he was a scoring PG. He was essentially who we thought we were getting. In the marburry/Westbrook mold. To hold him accountable to anything Jason Kidd type is really unfair.

Return to New York Knicks