If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 30?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

If Tom Brady get's a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan?

Yes ranked above Jordan
49%
No still below Jordan
51%

Total votes: 581

D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,268

If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 30? 

Post#1 » by D.Brasco » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:12 pm

Right now they are both tied with 6 rings a piece but with the recent AB signing many are thinking the Pats are almost guaranteed a 7th this year.

What it takes to get and contribute for a championship differs in the NBA and NFL but does Brady with 7 rings solidify him as the most successful North American modern athlete?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,462

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#2 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:27 pm

6 superbowls is far more impressive than 6 NBA championships.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,968

Re: If Tom Brady gets a 7th ring this year do you put him above Jordan as the most successful/winning player of the last 

Post#3 » by RCM88x » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:28 pm

Hard to compare between sports imo.

I'd probably put both Woods and Williams above either, but if we're just talking about team sports then I guess both would be at the top.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,128

Post#4 » by levon » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:30 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:6 superbowls is far more impressive than 6 NBA championships.

as someone who doesn't watch football, why do you say that? my understanding is that individual NBA players influence the outcome in basketball more than individuals in football?
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,505

Post#5 » by Dominator83 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:44 pm

levon wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:6 superbowls is far more impressive than 6 NBA championships.

as someone who doesn't watch football, why do you say that? my understanding is that individual NBA players influence the outcome in basketball more than individuals in football?

Probably because in the NFL playoffs, every series is best of 1. So if you have a bad day in game 1, there is no game 2. So there are far more upsets and randomness in the NFL
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
IgorK
Veteran
And1: 4,786

Post#6 » by IgorK » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:50 pm

levon wrote:

Brady's 6 is already greater than Jordan's 6. It's more difficult to win in football for many reasons - 1-and-done playoff format, less control (Brady only plays offense, so he has no say on the defensive end, unlike basketball players), and the fact that you have 50+ teammates you need to rely on (whereas in basketball you're playing with a 12-man roster which shrinks to about 8 during playoffs).
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#7 » by LeMasta » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:53 pm

From a team standpoint, I would agree. It's kind of weird to compare them in the first place if you're using that to measure individual success.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#8 » by Optms » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:53 pm

No one cares about Brady outside of the United States, much less football, so no. Jordan dominated the sport and took it global. Call me when we get Euro's and the Chinese picking up footballs.
IgorK
Veteran

Post#9 » by IgorK » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:56 pm

Optms wrote:No one cares about Brady outside of the United States, much less football, so no. Jordan dominated the sport and took it global. Call me when we get Euro's and the Chinese picking up footballs.

The question wasn't about who is more popular globally, the question is who is the most successful winning-wise.
"You want me to own a team and deal with these rich, spoiled stubborn athletes, and try to get them to perform? No thank you." - Kobe

AMG
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,543

Post#10 » by lonzo_pelota » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:57 pm

considering he only has to play one side of the ball, no
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#11 » by freethedevil » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:59 pm

Lol how is this a question. Jordan doesn't have a clearly better case than kaj, russell, or lbj. Brady literally has the best longetivty, the most winning, and the highest peak.

Brady>>>>>>>jordan and honestly might have a case vs gretsky when we consider orr.

Like seriously, make a case against brady for goat, try to. He's the best/arguably the best at everything.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,997
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#12 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:00 pm

Eh. It's too team oriented to vault him over Jordan. Tom Brady's first superbowl he was 16-27 with 145 yards and 1 touchdown. They won because the defense held the greatest show on turf to 17 points. They've blown two because the offense was mediocre. They just won their latest with 13 points from their offense, and none from brady.

Jordan has been put out in the playoffs, but none of it was because of he had a series equivalent to putting up 13 points as an offense, or not getting a touchdown, or having the gaffes they did against the Giants.

Tom's Superbowl against Atlanta was probably the most dominant half of football I've seen by a QB, and he definitely has some huge playoff wins too.

TLDR; Jordan was more directly dominant in all the wins, and the losses. Tom has had way more instances where he was off, but his teammates sealed the deal, than Jordan did. THat's not really a knock, it's football, it's just different. Tom might have been off more, but his performance is more directly tied to how well his teammates play as well, so it's not really his fault at times if protection is breaking down too soon, or his receivers just aren't holding up their end.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,505

Post#13 » by Dominator83 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:03 pm

IgorK wrote:
levon wrote:

Brady's 6 is already greater than Jordan's 6. It's more difficult to win in football for many reasons - 1-and-done playoff format, less control (Brady only plays offense, so he has no say on the defensive end, unlike basketball players), and the fact that you have 50+ teammates you need to rely on (whereas in basketball you're playing with a 12-man roster which shrinks to about 8 during playoffs).

I agree with the 1st part, every game being game 7 makes it much more random and theres zero margin for a bad day in the NFL playoffs, whereas in the NBA you see the better team lose game 1 alot and just shake it off and adjust for game 2 and so on.

But the 2nd part could be a counter agrument.... That he only impacts one side of the ball, and needs to rely on others moreso than in basketball
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,053

Post#14 » by Crives » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:07 pm

Well... Jordan and his team wasn’t found guilty of cheating multiple times
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,128

Post#15 » by levon » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:08 pm

Dominater wrote:
IgorK wrote:
levon wrote:as someone who doesn't watch football, why do you say that? my understanding is that individual NBA players influence the outcome in basketball more than individuals in football?

I agree with the 1st part, every game being game 7 makes it much more random and theres zero margin for a bad day in the NFL playoffs, whereas in the NBA you see the better team lose game 1 alot and just shake it off and adjust for game 2 and so on.

But the 2nd part could be a counter agrument.... That he only impacts one side of the ball, and needs to rely on others moreso than in basketball

Yeah that makes no sense to me. He needs like 30 other people to get things right yet he's somehow credited individually with someone that won titles in a team that went maybe 8 deep in playoff runs?

Just because superbowls are somehow more "difficult" to attain doesn't make Brady the better individual player in his respective sport. I mean he may be, I just don't know if that's an argument. Also wasn't he kind of meh in his last superbowl?
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,036

Post#16 » by Lalouie » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:11 pm

levon wrote:

one could take the opposite approach and say that is exactly why the football rings are harder. ie if the basketball player has dominion over the court and a star player for sure, then it is easier for him to control the outcome than a football player. if you take the extreme of a non-team athlete who has total control over everything, then the basketball athlete is the closest thing to a team player having a similar dominance as an individual athlete.

in any case bill russell has 11 rings, mj 6
brady ALREADY has more rings than any football player in history

=
brady is the more "successful winning" player in fball than mj is in bball
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,384

Post#17 » by TheNG » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:13 pm

freethedevil wrote:Lol how is this a question. Jordan doesn't have a clearly better case than kaj, russell, or lbj. Brady literally has the best longetivty, the most winning, and the highest peak.

Brady>>>>>>>jordan and honestly might have a case vs gretsky when we consider orr.

Like seriously, make a case against brady for goat, try to. He's the best/arguably the best at everything.

I saw what you did there :nonono:
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
IgorK
Veteran

Post#18 » by IgorK » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:13 pm

levon wrote:
Dominater wrote:
IgorK wrote:

Yeah that makes no sense to me. He needs like 30 other people to get things right yet he's somehow credited individually with someone that won titles in a team that went maybe 8 deep in playoff runs?

Just because superbowls are somehow more "difficult" to attain doesn't make Brady the better individual player in his respective sport. I mean he may be, I just don't know if that's an argument. Also wasn't he kind of meh in his last superbowl?

That's a valid point, but actually works in Brady's favor too. He is easily the greatest in his sport - there's pretty much no argument to be made.

There's more debate to be had in the case for basketball GOAT (MJ/Russell/KAJ/LeBron)

AMG
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,669

Post#19 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:14 pm

levon wrote:
Dominater wrote:
IgorK wrote:

Personally, I'm not the right person to claim who's the better player because I haven't followed either enough.

However, like you mentioned, it doesn't make sense to use the argument that it is harder to win a Superbowl than an NBA championship in defense for Brady as he relies far more on his teammates/Coach/franchise in general. Jordan impacted the game both on the offense and defense while playing roughly 83% of the entire game.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#20 » by Optms » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:14 pm

IgorK wrote:
Optms wrote:No one cares about Brady outside of the United States, much less football, so no. Jordan dominated the sport and took it global. Call me when we get Euro's and the Chinese picking up footballs.

The question wasn't about who is more popular globally, the question is who is the most successful winning-wise.

Well, then its still Jordan. The game was tailored around post play during his era. Big men in general were thought to be a vital component of a title team. Much like how 3 point shooting and spacing is thought of today to be the key to an elite team.

No one thought it was even possible for a scoring guard to come in and be the center of a championship team, much less a dynasty. Jordan forever changed the game in an era where the game was heavily in favor of the big man. Imagine a dominant post big man coming in to today's game and winning 6 titles. It would be the equivalent to what Jordan did during the 90's.

Return to The General Board