Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player?

Moderators: PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, bwgood77, Dirk, Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus

Is Tatum a franchise player?

Yes
111
24%
No
356
76%
 
Total votes: 467

TheRealKaboom
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,407
And1: 1,324
Joined: May 09, 2017

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#161 » by TheRealKaboom » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:10 am

mtron929 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:He averaged 14/5/1 his rookie year. How was that fantastic and incredible?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app


Scored 2nd most points for a rookie in playoff history behind Jabbar.


This can be misleading right? Most high profiled rookies get picked by crappy teams and as such, they don't even make the playoffs. Taytum might have scored 2nd most points for a rookie but his rookie season doesn't even crack top 50 in best rookie seasons.

Tatum played 19 games in the playoffs his rookie year. Michael Jordan played 4. Guess who scored more points?
CoP
Starter
Posts: 2,122
And1: 2,236
Joined: May 04, 2017
       

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#162 » by CoP » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:26 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:
CoP wrote:
Asif16 wrote:Dude I remember them clear as day. Im sure others as well.

Link a handful of threads on the GB started by Celtics fans that compared Tatum to Kobe or Brown to Pierce. Shouldnt be hard since you claimed they were all over the GB.

Link or GTFO


What he’s saying to you is that he’s not bothered to provide these links because like a number of posters have already said in this thread, that was truly the case last year on the GB, and I’m another one of those voices affirming it.

For the record, only because I suspect someone might go “you Raptors fans are all the same”, please believe me when I, the hardest Raptors critic I know, says it has absolutely nothing to do it. And if you don’t want to believe me, like I said, other posters have affirmed what Asif16 has said as well in this thread alone.

And what I am saying is if that was truly the case on the GB, then it should be easy enough to provide a few threads started by Celtics fans that compare Tatum to Kobe or Brown to Pierce. Link or GTFO
Tiny ball
Veteran
Posts: 2,557
And1: 828
Joined: Jul 31, 2016
Location: Some island in Philippines
         

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#163 » by Tiny ball » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:01 am

TheRealKaboom wrote:
mtron929 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Scored 2nd most points for a rookie in playoff history behind Jabbar.


This can be misleading right? Most high profiled rookies get picked by crappy teams and as such, they don't even make the playoffs. Taytum might have scored 2nd most points for a rookie but his rookie season doesn't even crack top 50 in best rookie seasons.

Tatum played 19 games in the playoffs his rookie year. Michael Jordan played 4. Guess who scored more points?
The fact that Tatum played that many playoff games as a rookie shows a lot. No one thought that the Celtics would get that far with 60 million dollars not playing.
teeozz
Freshman
Posts: 60
And1: 36
Joined: Feb 11, 2017

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#164 » by teeozz » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:15 am

If he doesn’t take a massive leap this season I don’t think so
TerryTate
Analyst
Posts: 3,257
And1: 1,364
Joined: May 22, 2008
Location: The 6ix
   

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#165 » by TerryTate » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:02 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:
mtron929 wrote:
This can be misleading right? Most high profiled rookies get picked by crappy teams and as such, they don't even make the playoffs. Taytum might have scored 2nd most points for a rookie but his rookie season doesn't even crack top 50 in best rookie seasons.

Tatum played 19 games in the playoffs his rookie year. Michael Jordan played 4. Guess who scored more points?
The fact that Tatum played that many playoff games as a rookie shows a lot. No one thought that the Celtics would get that far with 60 million dollars not playing.


The Celtics played extremely well during those playoffs ..... and that's why Tatum's value was at an all time high right after those playoffs. I mean that dunk on Lebron was like a cherry on top.

I mean Tatum's "value" kinda fell back to earth a bit after this past season. I mean those playoffs was a good flash of his potential. He still has a few holes in his game before he becomes true perennial all-star, this season showed us that.
Image
CoP
Starter
Posts: 2,122
And1: 2,236
Joined: May 04, 2017
       

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#166 » by CoP » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:39 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
CoP wrote:
Asif16 wrote:Dude I remember them clear as day. Im sure others as well.

Link a handful of threads on the GB started by Celtics fans that compared Tatum to Kobe or Brown to Pierce. Shouldnt be hard since you claimed they were all over the GB.

Link or GTFO


What he’s saying to you is that he’s not bothered to provide these links because like a number of posters have already said in this thread, that was truly the case last year on the GB, and I’m another one of those voices affirming it.

For the record, only because I suspect someone might go “you Raptors fans are all the same”, please believe me when I, the hardest Raptors critic I know, says it has absolutely nothing to do it. And if you don’t want to believe me, like I said, other posters have affirmed what Asif16 has said as well in this thread alone.

OK, so since it appears that neither you nor Asif are capable of performing a simple search on this site, I did it for you. Here's a search for all threads on the GB where both Kobe and Tatum are mentioned in the topic title: search.php?keywords=%2Btatum+%2Bkobe&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=6&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

There were only two out of four that could be considered comparing Tatum to Kobe.

This thread - Tatum the next Kobe? - was started by a Raptors fan.

This thread - Scary Times! Kobe Bryant and & Jayson Tatum Working Out Together!! Hide the Women and Children!! - was started by a Kobe stan.

I guess I'll still wait for you and Asif to link me all these threads started by Celtics fans which littered the GB a year ago, but my guess is that you won't find them. Cheers.
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 24,182
And1: 22,956
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#167 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:09 pm

CoP wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
CoP wrote:Link a handful of threads on the GB started by Celtics fans that compared Tatum to Kobe or Brown to Pierce. Shouldnt be hard since you claimed they were all over the GB.

Link or GTFO


What he’s saying to you is that he’s not bothered to provide these links because like a number of posters have already said in this thread, that was truly the case last year on the GB, and I’m another one of those voices affirming it.

For the record, only because I suspect someone might go “you Raptors fans are all the same”, please believe me when I, the hardest Raptors critic I know, says it has absolutely nothing to do it. And if you don’t want to believe me, like I said, other posters have affirmed what Asif16 has said as well in this thread alone.

OK, so since it appears that neither you nor Asif are capable of performing a simple search on this site, I did it for you. Here's a search for all threads on the GB where both Kobe and Tatum are mentioned in the topic title: search.php?keywords=%2Btatum+%2Bkobe&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=6&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

There were only two out of four that could be considered comparing Tatum to Kobe.

This thread - Tatum the next Kobe? - was started by a Raptors fan.

This thread - Scary Times! Kobe Bryant and & Jayson Tatum Working Out Together!! Hide the Women and Children!! - was started by a Kobe stan.

I guess I'll still wait for you and Asif to link me all these threads started by Celtics fans which littered the GB a year ago, but my guess is that you won't find them. Cheers.


viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1751987&hilit=tatum+kobe

You only had to look at the first three posts here to see there's more than a few Kobe comparisons. So I guess he doesn't have to GTFO.
CoP
Starter
Posts: 2,122
And1: 2,236
Joined: May 04, 2017
       

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#168 » by CoP » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:30 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
CoP wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
What he’s saying to you is that he’s not bothered to provide these links because like a number of posters have already said in this thread, that was truly the case last year on the GB, and I’m another one of those voices affirming it.

For the record, only because I suspect someone might go “you Raptors fans are all the same”, please believe me when I, the hardest Raptors critic I know, says it has absolutely nothing to do it. And if you don’t want to believe me, like I said, other posters have affirmed what Asif16 has said as well in this thread alone.

OK, so since it appears that neither you nor Asif are capable of performing a simple search on this site, I did it for you. Here's a search for all threads on the GB where both Kobe and Tatum are mentioned in the topic title: search.php?keywords=%2Btatum+%2Bkobe&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=6&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

There were only two out of four that could be considered comparing Tatum to Kobe.

This thread - Tatum the next Kobe? - was started by a Raptors fan.

This thread - Scary Times! Kobe Bryant and & Jayson Tatum Working Out Together!! Hide the Women and Children!! - was started by a Kobe stan.

I guess I'll still wait for you and Asif to link me all these threads started by Celtics fans which littered the GB a year ago, but my guess is that you won't find them. Cheers.


viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1751987&hilit=tatum+kobe

You only had to look at the first three posts here to see there's more than a few Kobe comparisons. So I guess he doesn't have to GTFO.

That thread is not on the GB, which is what Asif was talking about. Try again.
Roddy B for 3
Veteran
Posts: 2,705
And1: 645
Joined: Jan 13, 2012
       

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#169 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:48 pm

Tatum may become a franchise player, but is not currently
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Wilfried
Veteran
Posts: 2,938
And1: 1,004
Joined: May 24, 2007

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#170 » by Wilfried » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:52 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:
mtron929 wrote:
This can be misleading right? Most high profiled rookies get picked by crappy teams and as such, they don't even make the playoffs. Taytum might have scored 2nd most points for a rookie but his rookie season doesn't even crack top 50 in best rookie seasons.

Tatum played 19 games in the playoffs his rookie year. Michael Jordan played 4. Guess who scored more points?
The fact that Tatum played that many playoff games as a rookie shows a lot. No one thought that the Celtics would get that far with 60 million dollars not playing.


And we all thought they would go a bit further with all those dollars playing, together with the superstar Tatum.

Celtics fooled themselves a bit by beating the even less experienced Sixers and losing to probably the worst EC champion in recent history.
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 24,182
And1: 22,956
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#171 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:48 pm

CoP wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
CoP wrote:OK, so since it appears that neither you nor Asif are capable of performing a simple search on this site, I did it for you. Here's a search for all threads on the GB where both Kobe and Tatum are mentioned in the topic title: search.php?keywords=%2Btatum+%2Bkobe&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=6&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

There were only two out of four that could be considered comparing Tatum to Kobe.

This thread - Tatum the next Kobe? - was started by a Raptors fan.

This thread - Scary Times! Kobe Bryant and & Jayson Tatum Working Out Together!! Hide the Women and Children!! - was started by a Kobe stan.

I guess I'll still wait for you and Asif to link me all these threads started by Celtics fans which littered the GB a year ago, but my guess is that you won't find them. Cheers.


viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1751987&hilit=tatum+kobe

You only had to look at the first three posts here to see there's more than a few Kobe comparisons. So I guess he doesn't have to GTFO.

That thread is not on the GB, which is what Asif was talking about. Try again.


Oh... so it's if those only heard those references on the general board ...and people need to remember exactly where they read everything now because that's a completely sane request (I'm not going to ask everyone to recall it if that's ok). I'm don't have to try again to know those comparisons were made all over the place. But continue being ignorant of it, or arguing minutia all you want.
GiannisAnte34
Pro Prospect
Posts: 819
And1: 453
Joined: Jun 19, 2019
 

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#172 » by GiannisAnte34 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:53 pm

Tatum is Rudy Gay AKA not a franchise player
User avatar
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
Posts: 21,094
And1: 27,086
Joined: Jul 29, 2003
       

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#173 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:16 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
CoP wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1751987&hilit=tatum+kobe

You only had to look at the first three posts here to see there's more than a few Kobe comparisons. So I guess he doesn't have to GTFO.

That thread is not on the GB, which is what Asif was talking about. Try again.


Oh... so it's if those only heard those references on the general board ...and people need to remember exactly where they read everything now because that's a completely sane request (I'm not going to ask everyone to recall it if that's ok). I'm don't have to try again to know those comparisons were made all over the place. But continue being ignorant of it, or arguing minutia all you want.


CoP isn't wrong here. Here's what he was responding to.

Asif16 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Asif16 wrote:
You guys were literally hyping up Tatum and Brown as the second coming before last season. Also while shouting Tatum is "only 13yrs old" on top of that.

What goes around comes around


What has gone around or came around? He had an average season, average playoffs, wasn't anything crazy, but was't bad either. Our entire team was a mess and obviously we saw it in the media as well, roles weren't defined enough(which is on Brad a bit), it was a bad(average) season for us last year. Both Brown and Jayson still have the chance to at the very least all-stars, it's up to them.


Im talking in regards to makign stupid threads. Celtics fans where washing the GB with threads like Tatum is the next Kobe, Jaylen brown is the Paul Pierce, if not better.

You dont have to explain to me just how Medciocre the the celtics were last year. And I already said in a post above that Tatum an Brown will most likely still be solid NBA players moving forward. But thats about it
CoP
Starter
Posts: 2,122
And1: 2,236
Joined: May 04, 2017
       

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#174 » by CoP » Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:21 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
CoP wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1751987&hilit=tatum+kobe

You only had to look at the first three posts here to see there's more than a few Kobe comparisons. So I guess he doesn't have to GTFO.

That thread is not on the GB, which is what Asif was talking about. Try again.


Oh... so it's if those only heard those references on the general board ...and people need to remember exactly where they read everything now because that's a completely sane request (I'm not going to ask everyone to recall it if that's ok). I'm don't have to try again to know those comparisons were made all over the place. But continue being ignorant of it, or arguing minutia all you want.

Not sure what to tell you. If you want to join in the conversation, you might want to know the context of the discussion. Asif said that Celtics fans were washing the GB with threads comparing Tatum to Kobe and Brown to Pierce. When I asked him to link me some of those threads, he ghosted. I figured that if Celtics fans were truly washing the GB with these kinds of threads, then he (or Raps fans like yourself who came here to defend him) could very easily provide me with links to several of those threads. But nope. Nothing yet. Just crying about minutia at this point.
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 46,001
And1: 10,894
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: nyc

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#175 » by blueNorange » Mon Sep 9, 2019 6:28 pm

he had all the chances in the world to be the man last season for the celtics but wanted nothing part of it.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Tiny ball
Veteran
Posts: 2,557
And1: 828
Joined: Jul 31, 2016
Location: Some island in Philippines
         

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#176 » by Tiny ball » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:03 pm

Wilfried wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:
TheRealKaboom wrote:Tatum played 19 games in the playoffs his rookie year. Michael Jordan played 4. Guess who scored more points?
The fact that Tatum played that many playoff games as a rookie shows a lot. No one thought that the Celtics would get that far with 60 million dollars not playing.


And we all thought they would go a bit further with all those dollars playing, together with the superstar Tatum.

Celtics fooled themselves a bit by beating the even less experienced Sixers and losing to probably the worst EC champion in recent history.
Well we had Kryee this year and Hayward was no where near 100%.
Pelon chingon
Starter
Posts: 2,252
And1: 2,924
Joined: Jan 07, 2018

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#177 » by Pelon chingon » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:05 pm

The GB has spoken.
PistolPeteJR
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,126
And1: 3,442
Joined: Jun 14, 2017
 

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#178 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:27 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
Tiny ball wrote: The Celtics always or near always played better when Irving did not play. All you have to do is look at last years wins and losses.


Yeah, let’s look at what happened in the regular season to gauge whether the Celtics were truly better when it matters without Kyrie.

You’re doing exactly what GS fans did with KD out with the “they’re better without KD!” narrative. Just, no.
I watched every Celtics game but one last year. I have went back and looked at the won lost of games with Kryeee and without Kryee. The Celtics were just lots better without him. Every time he would sit they would go on winning streak. He would come back and the loses would pile up. He was a total cancer to the Celtics organization. Thank God he is a net and not a Celtic.


Once again, who cares about the regular season dude? It doesn’t mean a damn thing. I can’t believe this is your argument. I’m done here if you’re going to keep using that as your barometer.
PistolPeteJR
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,126
And1: 3,442
Joined: Jun 14, 2017
 

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#179 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:29 pm

CoP wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
CoP wrote:Link a handful of threads on the GB started by Celtics fans that compared Tatum to Kobe or Brown to Pierce. Shouldnt be hard since you claimed they were all over the GB.

Link or GTFO


What he’s saying to you is that he’s not bothered to provide these links because like a number of posters have already said in this thread, that was truly the case last year on the GB, and I’m another one of those voices affirming it.

For the record, only because I suspect someone might go “you Raptors fans are all the same”, please believe me when I, the hardest Raptors critic I know, says it has absolutely nothing to do it. And if you don’t want to believe me, like I said, other posters have affirmed what Asif16 has said as well in this thread alone.

And what I am saying is if that was truly the case on the GB, then it should be easy enough to provide a few threads started by Celtics fans that compare Tatum to Kobe or Brown to Pierce. Link or GTFO


“GTFO! GTFO!”
Think you’ve said that 12 times to me and others in this thread. If you can’t accept the fact that multiple people recall this, which suggests there is no point for someone to take the time to go back about a year and bring these up for you, can’t help you. Have a good day.
old skool
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,920
And1: 1,541
Joined: Jul 07, 2005
Location: Chi

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#180 » by old skool » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:49 am

It is kind of pointless to try to figure out a player's ceiling before playing a season at age 21.

Some players look like franchise players from the start - like Shaq and Lebron. Others take longer to unfold - like Steph and Kawhi.

None of us have a crystal ball.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board