OKC - MIN: Bad stuff + 2 1sts for Paul, Gallo, and Noel

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

OKC - MIN: Bad stuff + 2 1sts for Paul, Gallo, and Noel 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:28 pm

Minnesota trades: Andrew Wiggins, Gorgui Dieng, Jeff Teague, 2020 MIN 1st (haggle on protections), 2022 MIN 1st (haggle on protections)
Oklahoma City trades: Chris Paul, Danilo Gallinari, Nerlens Noel

Wiggins has one more year than Paul, Dieng has one less. Paul can help you win, Wiggins and Dieng ... don't (well, Wiggins doesn't, Dieng is meh, but useful). This is probably the only trade where getting a first for Paul seems plausible, but they also flip Gallo for a 1st. Minnesota, OTOH, keeps their best young assets, but builds an excellent supporting cast around Towns.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,073

Re: OKC - MIN: Bad stuff + 2 1sts for Paul, Gallo, and Noel 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:38 pm

I think Minnesota would need some time of assurance that Gallo would be resigned at a fair price.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#3 » by meekrab » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:54 pm

The Thunder already have 9 draft picks over the next 4 years, I don't think Andrew Wiggins is the grossly overpaid faux-star guy they want in the locker room with those young players. At least Chris Paul's brand of basketball (as bad as his whining and flopping are) results in winning games.

Also this trade doesn't work in the ESPN trade machine for salary reasons, though it could still be using the 2018-2019 transactions.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:04 pm

nate33 wrote:I think Minnesota would need some time of assurance that Gallo would be resigned at a fair price.

Maybe? I think Dieng + Wiggins + 1st for Paul is pretty reasonable. Teague + 1st for one year of Gallo/Noel isn't great, but it isn't crippling if Gallo and/or Noel don't stay.

Towns/Noel/Reid
Gallo/Vonleh
Roco/Layman/Diop
Culver/Okogie/Wallace
Paul/Napier

That looks like a really good team to me. They certainly wouldn't be the favorites to make it out of the West, but if they did it wouldn't be shocking. Obviously backup point guard is a bit of a concern.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,694

Post#5 » by Domejandro » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:05 pm

meekrab wrote:The Thunder already have 9 draft picks over the next 4 years, I don't think Andrew Wiggins is the grossly overpaid faux-star guy they want in the locker room with those young players. At least Chris Paul's brand of basketball (as bad as his whining and flopping are) results in winning games.

Also this trade doesn't work in the ESPN trade machine for salary reasons, though it could still be using the 2018-2019 transactions.

It doesn't work in the Trade Machine because Jeff Teague's salary is broken and acts as if it is a minimum contract. This has, unfortunately, been an issue since his signing.

Better site: https://tradenba.com/
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:06 pm

meekrab wrote:The Thunder already have 9 draft picks over the next 4 years, I don't think Andrew Wiggins is the grossly overpaid faux-star guy they want in the locker room with those young players. At least Chris Paul's brand of basketball (as bad as his whining and flopping are) results in winning games.

It should work.

Paul + Gallo + Noel ~ $62 million
Wiggins + Teague + Dieng ~ $63 million

Per your point, that makes some sense, but it seems just as plausible that an unhappy Chris Paul (and this isn't to pass judgement on him, I think it would be the same situation for any mid-30s star player) is just as likely to cause major problems (if not more). But I certainly understand why OKC wouldn't want to do this trade, I just think the list of suitors is going to be very small (Miami, Minnesota, maaaybe Detroit).

JColl
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#7 » by Resistance » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:08 pm

I thought that Minnesota was going to a younger team and wanted to set things up so Towns would be the leader. This trade goes in the opposite direction.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#8 » by Domejandro » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:16 pm

Protections would mean everything to me here; Nerlens Noel can be sent elsewhere for a second back to OKC as well.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,792

Post#9 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:11 pm

We’ve had different iterations of this tossed around, and I don’t hate it as much as some others do. I think Presti would probably go for Wiggins. Ideally I would probably rather give a pick instead of getting two and try to get Culver, but this could work as well. I think I could go for lotto protected in 20 and top 10 in 22.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#10 » by meekrab » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:33 pm

Domejandro wrote:

It doesn't work in the Trade Machine because Jeff Teague's salary is broken and acts as if it is a minimum contract. This has, unfortunately, been an issue since his signing.

Better site: https://tradenba.com/

Ah, wasn't aware of that.
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#11 » by SmokeyPaw » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:25 pm

Seems shortsided directionally for the wolves. Two aging/ injury prone vets who might get you to the playoffs this year. But how good are they (assuming Gallo resigns) by season 3? You are staring at a rebuild about the time KAT is thinking about his next contract having given up two 1sts.

I'm hoping minn does something more sustainable than this.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#12 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 am

Domejandro wrote:Protections would mean everything to me here; Nerlens Noel can be sent elsewhere for a second back to OKC as well.

You don't want Noel? Especially after losing Dieng?
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:28 pm

nate33 wrote:I think Minnesota would need some time of assurance that Gallo would be resigned at a fair price.

I would think getting out of wiggins would be a big thing even if Gallo does not come back!
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:32 pm

There is something wrong on the trade machine when looking at Minn.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#15 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:35 pm

My problem with Wiggins is that he thinks he's a star and he is paid like one but he's not a good player.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:50 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:My problem with Wiggins is that he thinks he's a star and he is paid like one but he's not a good player.

Well, if that weren't the case, this wouldn't be on the table.

JColl
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,013

Post#17 » by shrink » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:10 pm

SmokeyPaw wrote:Seems shortsided directionally for the wolves. Two aging/ injury prone vets who might get you to the playoffs this year. But how good are they (assuming Gallo resigns) by season 3? You are staring at a rebuild about the time KAT is thinking about his next contract having given up two 1sts.

Exactly.

1. MIN just got rid of many of it’s vets (Taj, Tolliver, Tyus, Saric to improve a rookie pick, Derek Rose), in favor of young, upside players that match KAT’s timeline. They have no bench, and they are not win now.

2. MIN needs talent for 3-4 years down the road, when KAT has the leverage to demand a trade. This deal gives them win now talent and cap space, but the most likely way for MIN to add talent is through the draft.

3. IMHO, Chris Paul is the least likely player for the Wolves to trade for. After the Jimmy Butler debacle, I feel there is no way they would trade for another alpha male, especially one that demanded the ball from James Harden. He’s a skillful player, at least if he can hold on a bit longer, but they would never put that ego in their locker room, especially at the cost of Towns’ buddy Wiggins,
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#18 » by Domejandro » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:38 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Protections would mean everything to me here; Nerlens Noel can be sent elsewhere for a second back to OKC as well.

Definitely not, Minnesota has a massive glut at the big-men positions. All of the following players are on the roster:

PF: Robert Covington, Jordan Bell, Keita Bates-Diop, Jake Layman
CE: Karl-Anthony Towns, Noah Vonleh, Naz Reid

(Minnesota is going to play small-ball significantly more this season)
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#19 » by Resistance » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:45 pm

shrink wrote:
SmokeyPaw wrote:Seems shortsided directionally for the wolves. Two aging/ injury prone vets who might get you to the playoffs this year. But how good are they (assuming Gallo resigns) by season 3? You are staring at a rebuild about the time KAT is thinking about his next contract having given up two 1sts.

Exactly.

1. MIN just got rid of many of it’s vets (Taj, Tolliver, Tyus, Saric to improve a rookie pick, Derek Rose), in favor of young, upside players that match KAT’s timeline. They have no bench, and they are not win now.

2. MIN needs talent for 3-4 years down the road, when KAT has the leverage to demand a trade. This deal gives them win now talent and cap space, but the most likely way for MIN to add talent is through the draft.

3. IMHO, Chris Paul is the least likely player for the Wolves to trade for. After the Jimmy Butler debacle, I feel there is no way they would trade for another alpha male, especially one that demanded the ball from James Harden. He’s a skillful player, at least if he can hold on a bit longer, but they would never put that ego in their locker room, especially at the cost of Towns’ buddy Wiggins,

Rosas came from the Houston FO and should have quite a bit of insight about CP3. CP3 has been available on the trade market all summer and I haven't heard any stories about Minnesota being interested in trading for him.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#20 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

Definitely not, Minnesota has a massive glut at the big-men positions. All of the following players are on the roster:

PF: Robert Covington, Jordan Bell, Keita Bates-Diop, Jake Layman
CE: Karl-Anthony Towns, Noah Vonleh, Naz Reid

(Minnesota is going to play small-ball significantly more this season)

I would have Noel better than everyone except KAT and RoCo though. I would rather just cut a min guy out of that group.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.

Return to Trades and Transactions