ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: UFC 242 Khabib vs. Poirier

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,649

Re: OT: UFC 242 Khabib vs. Poirier 

Post#21 » by hype_2004 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:24 pm

jimross wrote:
Joker wrote:
jimross wrote:Khabibs been my favorite fighter for a long time and hes a beast, #1 P4P imo but Tony Ferguson is going to give him a run for his money.

Poirier showed two weaknesses Khabib has:

1) When you pressure Khabib hes like a fish out of water. Poirier and Michael Johnson have both clipped Khabib by being the aggressor.

2) Khabib leaves himself exposed to different submissions while attempting takedowns.

Ferguson is awesome at applying crazy amounts of pressure and is a black belt jujitsu practitioner who is a savage off his back. Not to mention he has the best cardio in MMA imo.

Khabib should still be the favorite in this fight but Tony will be his toughest opponent by far. Matchup wise, this fight is one of the greatest MMA fights of all time.

Khabib has mauled BJJ black belts thus far --- Poirier and RDA come to mind.

Neither one of them offered the combination of pressure, craftiness, awkwardness, cardio and huge reach advantage Tony offers.

Nope, neither of them are 10th planet black belt, who specializes in rubber guards and Triangle chokes.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#22 » by Danny1616 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:24 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Khabib is the GOAT.

And once he beats Tony, he'll be the undisputed GOAT.

El Cucuy has a legit shot at pulling off an upset, but Khabib is just too good. I can't see this man ever losing. If you watch the Anatomy of a Fighter series, you'd understand why. Even Will Harris who went down to Dagestan to train with Khabib & his team said there's no one that'll ever stop him.

6:30

Jon Jones would still be the GOAT.

Peds, being a **** human, etc...

He's still the best fighter on the planet.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#23 » by vini_vidi_vici » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:49 pm

Honestly at that weight, id take only Gaethje as a top tier talent in that weight class to challenge (and possibly win) Khabib.

Im not a fan of the guy as a person, but as a fighter he is elite (albeit just the wrestling, the striking is mediocre).
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,812

Post#24 » by Reeko » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:57 pm

Tony could beat Khabib due to his unpredictability in all phases of the sport whether that be striking or submissions. Tony also possesses an ability similar to Nate Diaz where he can apply pressure from the first bell to the last seemingly without getting tired. With that being said, I think the chances of Tony actually pulling off the upset are not great. One thing I due envision though is Khabib coming out of that fight the most damaged we've ever seen him because of Tony's ability to throw elbows whether that be standing on the feet or off of his back. At this point you just have to pray to the MMA Gods that they allow this fight to happen.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#25 » by Joker » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:02 pm

Khabib's coach Javier Mendez said that he was laughing in his head while Khabib was getting guillotined, because he's never seen khabib tap to a submission attempt in practice (against D1 wrestlers no less) and knew dustin was blowing his arms out.
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#26 » by GordanFreeman » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:14 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

Having tested positive twice disqualifies him from goat status. The fact that he's a **** human being makes it even easier for both fans and analysts to dismiss him when the topic comes up.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#27 » by Danny1616 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:23 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:

Having tested positive twice disqualifies him from goat status. The fact that he's a **** human being makes it even easier for both fans and analysts to dismiss him when the topic comes up.

I don't doubt he's an idiot, but he's still the most dominant fighter in the history of the sport who has dominated legends.
jimross
Sixth Man
And1: 2,476

Post#28 » by jimross » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:28 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

I don't doubt he's an idiot, but he's still the most dominant fighter in the history of the sport who has dominated legends.

Khabib has lost ONE round in 28 fights. Hes by far the most dominant fighter.

Jon was using peds for most of his career and hasn't looked dominant in the fights without them. He nearly lost to Santos who blew his knee out in the 1st round.
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#29 » by TerryTate » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:33 pm

jimross wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:

Jon was using peds for most of his career and hasn't looked dominant in the fights without them. He nearly lost to Santos who blew his knee out in the 1st round.

PEDs champs... I mean TJ & Jones.... GSP was right when he said people were doping.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#30 » by Danny1616 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:02 pm

jimross wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:

Khabib has only had 12 fights in the UFC and most of his early fights were against no names.

Jon Jones had had 20 UFC fights and beat legends like Bader, Rua, Rampage, Evans, Belfort, and Cormier.

What are you smoking? What was crazy after the Santos fight is that Jones didn't even attempt to take Santos to the ground where he would have easily won. He wanted to beat Santos at his own game since Santos is an elite Muay Thai fighter,

He did the same thing against Cormier. He wanted to show that he could beat Cormier in his 1st fight on the ground, just to show he was as good of a wrestler when Cormier was considered arguably the best wrestler in the weight class.

Crazy dominance man.

Khabib is one of the best ever, but Jones is the GOAT and it's not even a question. Khabib has a long way to go before being in that conversation with Jones.

Jones will try to beat a fighter at his own game. That would be like Khabib intentionally fighting and beating Mcgregor and Poirier on the feet. Khabib plays to his strengths and he's incredible at what he does, but he's not on Jones level.

Jones will try to beat you at your own game just to prove he's better then you at something you practiced your whole life while he's high on cocaine.

I respect Khabib more as a person compared to Jones, but I still think Jones is by far the GOAT.
omar36
Analyst
And1: 4,708

Post#31 » by omar36 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:06 pm

i love khabib but the goat talk is a bit premature. His resume isnt very impressive. conor was his biggest fight and tho he destroyeed him, i think mcgregor is overrated af.

jones/dc/gsp/silva are still ahead imo. JOnes wheter he cheated his whole career or not, im not sure but hes beaten a ton of great guys and still remains undeafted.

i really want gsp to come back to fight khabib. the wrestling between the two would be amazing. Id take gsp since its likely at 170 and gsp is just so freaking big lol.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,998

Post#32 » by kalel123 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:23 pm

omar36 wrote:i love khabib but the goat talk is a bit premature. His resume isnt very impressive. conor was his biggest fight and tho he destroyeed him, i think mcgregor is overrated af.

jones/dc/gsp/silva are still ahead imo. JOnes wheter he cheated his whole career or not, im not sure but hes beaten a ton of great guys and still remains undeafted.

i really want gsp to come back to fight khabib. the wrestling between the two would be amazing. Id take gsp since its likely at 170 and gsp is just so freaking big lol.

I kinda remember GSP saying he wanted to fight Khabib at 155 to be champ-champ-champ but UFC didn't want that.

But yeah, Khabib's not at the level of Jones/GSP/Silva. And I know his life has been a giant mess but Jon Jones still is the GOAT.
Northface82
RealGM
And1: 59,711

Post#33 » by Northface82 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:29 pm

jimross
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by jimross » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:57 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
jimross wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

Khabib has only had 12 fights in the UFC and most of his early fights were against no names.

Jon Jones had had 20 UFC fights and beat legends like Bader, Rua, Rampage, Evans, Belfort, and Cormier.

What are you smoking? What was crazy after the Santos fight is that Jones didn't even attempt to take Santos to the ground where he would have easily won. He wanted to beat Santos at his own game since Santos is an elite Muay Thai fighter,

He did the same thing against Cormier. He wanted to show that he could beat Cormier in his 1st fight on the ground, just to show he was as good of a wrestler when Cormier was considered arguably the best wrestler in the weight class.

Crazy dominance man.

Khabib is one of the best ever, but Jones is the GOAT and it's not even a question. Khabib has a long way to go before being in that conversation with Jones.

Jones will try to beat a fighter at his own game. That would be like Khabib intentionally fighting and beating Mcgregor and Poirier on the feet. Khabib plays to his strengths and he's incredible at what he does, but he's not on Jones level.

Jones will try to beat you at your own game just to prove he's better then you at something you practiced your whole life while he's high on cocaine.

I respect Khabib more as a person compared to Jones, but I still think Jones is by far the GOAT.

I said Khabib was the more dominant fighter, not the GOAT. Anyway you slice it, through 12 UFC fights he's lost one round. He's yet to be in a single fight that was even close.

Santos was fighting on a torn ACL, MCL, PCL and meniscus as well as injuring his his other knee, both needing surgery after the fight. If you watch the fight Santos was struggling to move through most of it. Even then he won on a judges score card. This is the second extremely close fight of Jones career after his first Gustaffson fight.

Lastly, a guy on PEDs cannot be the GOAT imo. He had to cheat to gain an advantage over his opponents. Who knows how he would have performed without them.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,150

Post#35 » by Mehar » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:16 pm

After Tony Ferguson, you have the Gaethje/Cerrone winner, at LW. Gaethje/Cerrone winner will most likely face Conor next, with the winner facing Khabib. Khabib is 2 fights away from cleaning out the division. His father had mentioned that he wants Khabib to retire young, after he has cleaned out the division. At that time, a fight with GSP or even the 170 pound champ might be Khabib's last fight ever. Khabib even mentioned about retiring young after he has cleaned out LW.

If he wins his next 3 fights- there is no doubt that i would put Khabib as the greatest fighter ever if he goes undefeated. Jones has been busted for PED's twice. Same with Anderson Silva, who has also lost twice to Weidman. GSP has lost twice in title fights, even if he has avenged his losses. One thing to go undefeated and never to taste defeat like Khabib.
5playersnot1
Junior
And1: 352

Post#36 » by 5playersnot1 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:00 am

jimross wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:

Not really. Jon said he chose to stand with Santos just to prove he was a better striker knowing that was Santos's game. Look who Jon has smashed and compare that list to Khabib's. He could get there, he's a freak just like Jones, but he's got to defend that belt a lot longer to challenge Jones for the Pound for Pound GOAT
jimross
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by jimross » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:09 am

5playersnot1 wrote:
jimross wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:

Not really. Jon said he chose to stand with Santos just to prove he was a better striker knowing that was Santos's game. Look who Jon has smashed and compare that list to Khabib's. He could get there, he's a freak just like Jones, but he's got to defend that belt a lot longer to challenge Jones for the Pound for Pound GOAT

Firstly Jon's excuse of keeping it standing doesn't negate the fact that Sanots was fighting on one blown out knee and another that needed surgery as well, Santos was barely mobile in that fight and still made it a split decision. Definitely not dominant. Khabib has dominated every single fight he's been in aside for Gleason Tibeau who was juiced to gills (like Jones) and was eventually popped a few fights later.

Secondly Jones has been on PEDs for most of his career. The guy cheated to win, simple as that. That alone drops his out of the GOAT contention. One of the PEDs he got caught for allows you to keep your strength and endurance through a weight cut, that's a MASSIVE advantage when preparing for a fight.

I don't get how people just gloss over the facts he was on PEDs for most of his career. If he didn't need them he wouldn't continue to risk his career taking them.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,812

Post#38 » by Reeko » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:26 am

jimross wrote:
5playersnot1 wrote:
jimross wrote:

Firstly Jon's excuse of keeping it standing doesn't negate the fact that Sanots was fighting on one blown out knee and another that needed surgery as well, Santos was barely mobile in that fight and still made it a split decision. Definitely not dominant. Khabib has dominated every single fight he's been in aside for Gleason Tibeau who was juiced to gills (like Jones) and was eventually popped a few fights later.

Secondly Jones has been on PEDs for most of his career. The guy cheated to win, simple as that. That alone drops his out of the GOAT contention. One of the PEDs he got caught for allows you to keep your strength and endurance through a weight cut, that's a MASSIVE advantage when preparing for a fight.

I don't get how people just gloss over the facts he was on PEDs for most of his career. If he didn't need them he wouldn't continue to risk his career taking them.

The PED argument doesn't invalidate a fighter's career. Look at who was considered the GOAT before Silva, Jones, and Khabib, it was Fedor and in all likelihood he was on PEDs fighting for PRIDE an organization that encouraged PED usage. Vitor Belfort is still considered an all time great even though he was openly using TRT in the latter half of his career. And Anderson Silva will still be on almost every MMA fan's Mount Rushmore even though he's tested positive.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,509

Post#39 » by S.W.A.N » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:41 am

I still take GSP. I see Dana didn't dismiss a GSP Khabib match during last round of interviews which is a change of policy for him. Those superfight dollars might finally be dancing through Dana's head.
We the North
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#40 » by tor1234567 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 am

GordanFreeman wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Khabib is the GOAT.

And once he beats Tony, he'll be the undisputed GOAT.

El Cucuy has a legit shot at pulling off an upset, but Khabib is just too good. I can't see this man ever losing. If you watch the Anatomy of a Fighter series, you'd understand why. Even Will Harris who went down to Dagestan to train with Khabib & his team said there's no one that'll ever stop him.

6:30

Keep him on the PEDs. Who cares.

I wanna see him go up to Heavyweight and try his luck with Stipe Miocic.

Stipe would probably eat like 50 punches and knock Jones the F out.

These Eastern European guys like Miocic and Khabib are scary man.

Return to Toronto Raptors