Image ImageImage Image

Derrick Rose "I am a Hall of Famer. Not in everyone's eyes but to the people I grew up with. I made it."

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Re: Derrick Rose 

Post#61 » by dice » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:18 pm

jacoby1us wrote:Ton of Negatrons on this board, it is actually pretty sad indeed. Name me a player that have more of an impact wearing a Chicago Bulls jersey after the MJ/Scottie era?

impact for a single season? none more than derrick rose. obviously. but unicorn seasons do not guarantee HOF status. particularly when they don't result in a championship

and the fact that there haven't been a lot of great bulls since the dynasty isn't really relevant to derrick rose's HOF chances. the voters certainly don't care, nor should they

his unprecedented play as a Rookie, the NBA had to implement a rule named after him when it comes to extending Rookie contracts for max salary

the "rose rule" had jack to do with his play as a rookie, which was hardly unprecedented. hell, a couple of rookies have won MVP. neither was named derrick rose

he literally brought our team out of the Baby Bulls era by himself

he did that neither literally nor figuratively. we would not even be having this conversation if not for the excellent but unspectacular supporting cast that helped derrick win MVP in the first place. because as we all well know as bulls fans, the MVP often does not go to the best player in the league. it DOES typically go to the best player on the best team in the league if there is a clear best player on that team. perhaps the best example of this is charles barkley, who was a significantly better player in philly, but won MVP in phoenix because they won the most games
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#62 » by AKfanatic » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:39 pm

Had Rose remained remotely healthy, or come back from injury resembling somewhat the player he was before injury, he’d of likely turned into a lock for the HOF.

But given he didn’t and doesn’t have an impressive non-NBA basketball résumé, he likely won’t make the HOF (he shouldn’t on his current résumé) barring him really shocking the basketball world and stringing together a few all star caliber seasons.

It’s possible voters play a “What if” game with him and vote him in on the concept of “he was the youngest MVP and had he not been injured he’d of been amazing...” but that really seems unlikely.

Bill Walton is somewhat of a similar narrative, but Walton had his days at UCLA... college champion, NBA champion, MVP, college player of the year, finals MVP, sixth man of the year, and numerous NBA broadcasting accolades on his resume before getting into the HOF...,

Right now, Rose is light on the accomplishments for the HOF
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#63 » by League Circles » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:44 pm

AKfanatic wrote:Had Rose remained remotely healthy, or come back from injury resembling somewhat the player he was before injury, he’d of likely turned into a lock for the HOF.

But given he didn’t and doesn’t have an impressive non-NBA basketball résumé, he likely won’t make the HOF (he shouldn’t on his current résumé) barring him really shocking the basketball world and stringing together a few all star caliber seasons.

It’s possible voters play a “What if” game with him and vote him in on the concept of “he was the youngest MVP and had he not been injured he’d of been amazing...” but that really seems unlikely.

Bill Walton is somewhat of a similar narrative, but Walton had his days at UCLA... college champion, NBA champion, MVP, college player of the year, finals MVP, sixth man of the year, and NBA broadcasting on his resume before getting into the HOF...,

Rose has a very impressive non NBA resume. 2 state titles in HS, a ncaa final, and two gold medals in fiba world championships.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#64 » by AKfanatic » Mon Sep 9, 2019 9:48 pm

League Circles wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:Had Rose remained remotely healthy, or come back from injury resembling somewhat the player he was before injury, he’d of likely turned into a lock for the HOF.

Bill Walton is somewhat of a similar narrative, but Walton had his days at UCLA... college champion, NBA champion, MVP, college player of the year, finals MVP, sixth man of the year, and NBA broadcasting on his resume before getting into the HOF...,

Rose has a very impressive non NBA resume. 2 state titles in HS, a ncaa final, and two gold medals in fiba world championships.

that’ll obviously be taken into account, and may be seen as enough to put him in. For me, I’d say no, but I can see (and respect) the arguments saying he’s got enough.... it’s not like there aren’t plenty of others in the HOF that at first (second, and third) glance don’t really look like they belong.

Side note: the NBA really needs their own HOF
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,696

Post#65 » by madvillian » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:37 pm

Derrick is a weird guy. He clearly can't leave his past behind and it haunts him. Feel sorry for him really.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,691

Post#66 » by NZB2323 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:56 pm

Mitch Richmond made the hall of fame. I just want people to make sure they know what the barometer is, because some people think that Chris Bosh won't make it. Does Mitch Richmond really have a better basketball resume than Derrick Rose?
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Re: Derrick Rose "I am a Hall of Famer. Not in everyone's eyes but to the people I grew up with. I made it."  

Post#67 » by StunnerKO » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:08 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
madvillian
RealGM

Post#68 » by madvillian » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:10 pm

StunnerKO wrote:Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not even close really.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,610

Post#69 » by jacoby1us » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:46 pm

NZB2323 wrote:Mitch Richmond made the hall of fame. I just want people to make sure they know what the barometer is, because some people think that Chris Bosh won't make it. Does Mitch Richmond really have a better basketball resume than Derrick Rose?

Exactly
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
jacoby1us
General Manager

Post#70 » by jacoby1us » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:50 pm

dice wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:Ton of Negatrons on this board, it is actually pretty sad indeed. Name me a player that have more of an impact wearing a Chicago Bulls jersey after the MJ/Scottie era?

impact for a single season? none more than derrick rose. obviously. but unicorn seasons do not guarantee HOF status. particularly when they don't result in a championship

and the fact that there haven't been a lot of great bulls since the dynasty isn't really relevant to derrick rose's HOF chances. the voters certainly don't care, nor should they

his unprecedented play as a Rookie, the NBA had to implement a rule named after him when it comes to extending Rookie contracts for max salary

the "rose rule" had jack to do with his play as a rookie, which was hardly unprecedented. hell, a couple of rookies have won MVP. neither was named derrick rose

he did that neither literally nor figuratively. we would not even be having this conversation if not for the excellent but unspectacular supporting cast that helped derrick win MVP in the first place. because as we all well know as bulls fans, the MVP often does not go to the best player in the league. it DOES typically go to the best player on the best team in the league if there is a clear best player on that team. perhaps the best example of this is charles barkley, who was a significantly better player in philly, but won MVP in phoenix because they won the most games

I actually stopped entertaining your response once you stated Rose only impacted the Bulls organization for one season. Obviously that’s not true, he won ROY and MVP in separate seasons.

It’s unfortunate the hate you have towards him. The relevancy for Rose resurrecting the Bulls is for his jersey being retired.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
dice
RealGM

Post#71 » by dice » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:56 am

jacoby1us wrote:
dice wrote:

I actually stopped entertaining your response once you stated Rose only impacted the Bulls organization for one season.

you actually never started reading, because i didn't say that

It’s unfortunate the hate you have towards him.

now you're just trolling. be gone!
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,512

Post#72 » by DuckIII » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:37 am

Derrick Rose has impacted the game not only nationally but globally. Due to his unprecedented play as a Rookie, the NBA had to implement a rule named after him when it comes to extending Rookie contracts for max salary. Youngest MVP, multiple All-Star appearances, he literally brought our team out of the Baby Bulls era by himself after the failed Twin Tower experiments with Chandler/Curry, the Jason Williams injury, failed Tyrus Thomas draft. He deserves a chance to get HOF and his jersey retired with the Bulls.

We may NEVER know the full extent of what happened between Rose and the Bulls IRT him returning to the court, all I can do is speak from personal experience and note that mental strength is just as important as physical. If you are not mentally prepared your physical will ultimately not be ready.

That’s nice and everything for you as a Bulls fan but it has nothing to do with HOF credentials.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,395

Post#73 » by TheGOATRises007 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:08 am

madvillian wrote:Derrick is a weird guy. He clearly can't leave his past behind and it haunts him. Feel sorry for him really.

I think it'd haunt everyone.

Youngest MVP with his whole career in front of him and loved perhaps more than any other athlete by a fan base at the time.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#74 » by madvillian » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:51 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
madvillian wrote:Derrick is a weird guy. He clearly can't leave his past behind and it haunts him. Feel sorry for him really.

I think it'd haunt everyone.

Youngest MVP with his whole career in front of him and loved perhaps more than any other athlete by a fan base at the time.

Yea it's the highest of highs and then the bottom fell out.

Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#75 » by Axl Rose » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:08 am

Rose just got hurt at the wrong time. if had just managed to get in 2-3 more years of prime play before he got injured he would undoubtedly be a HOFer. He would have won a gold medal that summer and added 2-3 more All-Star/All-NBA's to his résumé.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,811

Post#76 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:13 am

Axl Rose wrote:Rose just got hurt at the wrong time. if had just managed to get in 2-3 more years of prime play before he got injured he would undoubtedly be a HOFer. He would have won a gold medal that summer and added 2-3 more All-Star/All-NBA's to his résumé.

Pretty much.

Another 2-3 seasons as a MVP contending player, he would be a shoe-in by now, but his peak was simply too short and since, he has been basically a role player.
Why so serious?
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,512

Post#77 » by DuckIII » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:16 am

Axl Rose wrote:Rose just got hurt at the wrong time. if had just managed to get in 2-3 more years of prime play before he got injured he would undoubtedly be a HOFer. He would have won a gold medal that summer and added 2-3 more All-Star/All-NBA's to his résumé.

No doubt about it.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
jacoby1us
General Manager

Post#78 » by jacoby1us » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:51 am

DuckIII wrote:

Derrick Rose has impacted the game not only nationally but globally. Due to his unprecedented play as a Rookie, the NBA had to implement a rule named after him when it comes to extending Rookie contracts for max salary. Youngest MVP, multiple All-Star appearances, he literally brought our team out of the Baby Bulls era by himself after the failed Twin Tower experiments with Chandler/Curry, the Jason Williams injury, failed Tyrus Thomas draft. He deserves a chance to get HOF and his jersey retired with the Bulls.

We may NEVER know the full extent of what happened between Rose and the Bulls IRT him returning to the court, all I can do is speak from personal experience and note that mental strength is just as important as physical. If you are not mentally prepared your physical will ultimately not be ready.

That’s nice and everything for you as a Bulls fan but it has nothing to do with HOF credentials.

Basketball fan in general, we have many questionable people in the HOF. Does anyone know what the credentials are to become eligible for the HOF?

Seems like their are not many restrictions/requirements especially when you have Tracy McGrady in over Chris Webber.

Most of the people on this board are still upset with Rose for not playing when cleared by the Bulls medical staff whom have proved to be subpar. Don’t let that cloud your memories of what Derrick Rose meant/did for this organization and LEAGUE when he was healthy.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
jacoby1us
General Manager

Post#79 » by jacoby1us » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:53 am

dice wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:
dice wrote:impact for a single season? none more than derrick rose. obviously. but unicorn seasons do not guarantee HOF status. particularly when they don't result in a championship

I actually stopped entertaining your response once you stated Rose only impacted the Bulls organization for one season.

You can’t be serious, that Bulls team that surrounded Rose was handicapped. He literally did everything on offense for this team.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
dice
RealGM

Post#80 » by dice » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 am

jacoby1us wrote:
dice wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:

You can’t be serious, that Bulls team that surrounded Rose was handicapped. He literally did everything on offense for this team.

what are you even responding to at this point?

but since you bring it up, defense matters. and the bulls had the best defense in the league. they are nowhere close to the best team in the league without that defense. they would have been a mid-seeded playoff team WITHOUT derrick the year he won MVP. and even better the following season (18-9 when derrick was out injured). how many teams can say that w/o their best player? A: not too damn many. that was an EXCELLENT supporting cast. because of the defense. one of the best benches in the league w/ kyle korver as the only scorer (and he was more shooter than scorer). because of the defense

Return to Chicago Bulls