Kevin Durant Hoped To Return To Oklahoma City Before Receiving Poor Treatment Upon Leaving

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Kevin Durant Hoped To Return To Oklahoma City Before Receiving Poor Treatment Upon Leaving 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:17 pm

The way people within the Oklahoma City Thunder franchise and fans in that area reacted to Kevin Durant's decision to leave for the Golden State Warriors in 2016 forever altered his feelings on the team he played for during the first nine seasons of his career.

"Such a venomous toxic feeling when I walked into that arena," said Durant about his first game back with the Warriors. "And just the organization, the trainers and equipment managers, those dudes is pissed off at me? Ain't talking to me? I'm like, Yo, this is where we going with this? Because I left a team and went to play with another team?"

Durant had hoped to return to the Thunder at some point in his career, but that now appears almost impossible.

"I'll never be attached to that city again because of that," said Durant. "I eventually wanted to come back to that city and be part of that community and organization, but I don't trust nobody there. That s--t must have been fake, what they was doing. The organization, the GM, I ain't talked to none of those people, even had a nice exchange with those people, since I left."

Via J.R. Moehringer/Wall Street Journal

RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 203

Re: Kevin Durant Hoped To Return To Oklahoma City Before Receiving Poor Treatment Upon Leaving 

Post#2 » by RipCityKJ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 pm

If I weren’t dyslexic I would have the hardest time reading KD quotes, luckily his inability to speak a complete sentence in a proper form works for my reading style.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Re: Kevin Durant Hoped To Return To Oklahoma City Before Receiving Poor Treatment Upon Leaving 

Post#3 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:20 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:If I weren’t dyslexic I would have the hardest time reading KD quotes, luckily his inability to speak a complete sentence in a proper form works for my reading style.

:lol:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#4 » by moocow007 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:23 pm

So just because a handful of people were angry he left (hmm...a superstar franchise player that was around since even before the Thunder were the Thunder leaves...why would any fan be upset?) he no longer sees the entire city and the entire fanbase that way again? Come on. I don't know that his issue is not being able to form complete sentences only. I think it's also getting carried away with everything as if it was all just about him.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Why do these guys insist on writing in the same manner in which they speak? I know it’s because they are either truly uneducated or simply posturing posers, but enough already.

I understand that “news” is news and we all love when there is updated content, but let’s start filtering out the quoted nonsense and just summarize the dialogue.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 232

Post#6 » by tigerae » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Talk about being out of touch with reality. He didn't just leave, he basically joined the enemy. He left after he let the team down and couldn't lead them past the Warriors after being up 3 to 1. Only to join those same Warriors.

He also basically said he wants to stay in OKC his whole career while he was there:

"I love it here, man. I love my teammates, I love the city, I don't really think about anywhere else, I hear it all the time, don't get me wrong, and once you hear it you're kind of like [looks up, thinking]. But for me, I love staying in the moment, and I'm one of those guys that would love to stick it out with one team my whole career.

Kobe [Bryant], Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki type. That's awesome, but you never know what the future holds sometimes and how teams may feel about you after a while, but I love it here and I would love to get my jersey retired here."

He did what's best for him and that's fine, but he also let the entire city down. He's dillusional if he thinks the city and organization was going to welcome him with open arms.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#7 » by jamesnamida » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Fans can be salty all the want.
But I’d forgive over time since Kd did spend 9 years there and left in free agency. Who cares if he left to the warriors, that’s just an excuse to hate. Warriors and okc aren’t rivals/enemies, they don’t care about each other after 2 years. It’s short term memory in the nba.

But for the organization to shut him off just cause he played his contract and left is a bad look.
Especially since every org treat most of their players like trading chips.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#8 » by Throwback24 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:47 pm

tigerae wrote:Talk about being out of touch with reality. He didn't just leave, he basically joined the enemy. He left after he let the team down and couldn't lead them past the Warriors after being up 3 to 1. Only to join those same Warriors.

He also basically said he wants to stay in OKC his whole career while he was there:

"I love it here, man. I love my teammates, I love the city, I don't really think about anywhere else, I hear it all the time, don't get me wrong, and once you hear it you're kind of like [looks up, thinking]. But for me, I love staying in the moment, and I'm one of those guys that would love to stick it out with one team my whole career.

Kobe [Bryant], Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki type. That's awesome, but you never know what the future holds sometimes and how teams may feel about you after a while, but I love it here and I would love to get my jersey retired here."

He did what's best for him and that's fine, but he also let the entire city down. He's dillusional if he thinks the city and organization was going to welcome him with open arms.

Westbrick is to blame for that
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#9 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:55 pm

This is KD talking trash. Those fans in OKC worshipped him. It's insulting KD thinks people might even buy his b.s.

What a load of malarkey! "Oh. I was gonna go back, but I saw how they reacted." The man has game, but he a snake.
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#10 » by Joel Embust » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 pm

Snake in the grass.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 232

Post#11 » by tigerae » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Throwback24 wrote:
tigerae wrote:Talk about being out of touch with reality. He didn't just leave, he basically joined the enemy. He left after he let the team down and couldn't lead them past the Warriors after being up 3 to 1. Only to join those same Warriors.

Westbrick is to blame for that
Not at all. Westbrook didn't make him go to the Warriors. Had he not liked Westbrook, he could have gone to management and told them it is either me or him (ala Kobe with Shaq).

He also had other options to go elsewhere. For example, the Clippers, who had CP3, Blake and DJ at the time. With KD they could have been a definite contender. There were a couple other options where him joining would have made those teams contenders.

Instead he chose to take the easiest road and join the 73 win favorites who knocked his team out of the playoffs.

Again, his choice, but he didn't even give OKC a chance to change whatever he thought was wrong with the team. So this bs he's saying now is just that, bs. Snake 100%.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#12 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:55 pm

KD choked, quit, joined the 73-win team he choked and quit against, and still expected red carpet treatment from OKC? It's not even funny anymore, he is seriously delusional.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#13 » by Disinformation » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Poor, poor KD. OKC hurt his wittle feelings. :(
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,379

Post#14 » by WestbrookGOATed » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 pm

He's completely delusional. There isn't a fanbase in sports that wouldn't have acted that way in that situation. He made the biggest move of cowardice in sports history. "Hey KD welcome back!! Hope you win a few rings with that 73 win team you just choked against and left us high and dry for! We'll probably never win a championship now but oh well! Glad to have you back ol buddy!" **** that guy.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#15 » by likashing » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:28 am

Not saying KD isn’t a drama queen but Clay moved the team to OKC on a bunch of lies and deceptions. What do you expect from such an organization?
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#16 » by BigTex » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:16 am

I view it a bit differently. The team can’t control the fan’s reactions. But there is no excuse for team personnel not to be cordial to a departed player. Or any NBA player. You NEVER burn a bridge. It’s just foolish to do so. You never know what might happen down the road. Allowing your emotions to override your judgment is simply a lack of professionalism.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#17 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:32 pm

likashing wrote:Not saying KD isn’t a drama queen but Clay moved the team to OKC on a bunch of lies and deceptions. What do you expect from such an organization?

This argument has always been pure whataboutism from people who can't actually defend KD's weak move on its own merits. Two wrongs don't make a right.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#18 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:34 pm

BigTex wrote:I view it a bit differently. The team can’t control the fan’s reactions. But there is no excuse for team personnel not to be cordial to a departed player. Or any NBA player. You NEVER burn a bridge. It’s just foolish to do so. You never know what might happen down the road. Allowing your emotions to override your judgment is simply a lack of professionalism.

The Thunder didn't burn that bridge. Durant did, not only by quitting on them and making such a weak move, but also by using burner accounts to make highly unprofessional comments about their organization on social media.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#19 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:16 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
BigTex wrote:I view it a bit differently. The team can’t control the fan’s reactions. But there is no excuse for team personnel not to be cordial to a departed player. Or any NBA player. You NEVER burn a bridge. It’s just foolish to do so. You never know what might happen down the road. Allowing your emotions to override your judgment is simply a lack of professionalism.

The Thunder didn't burn that bridge. Durant did, not only by quitting on them and making such a weak move, but also by using burner accounts to make highly unprofessional comments about their organization on social media.

I think this is a great post. KD's mess is self inflicted.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#20 » by The_Hater » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Did he really expect everyone to cheer him and welcome him back with open arms?

Pretty clueless KD.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Wiretap Discussion