ImageImageImageImageImage

15 Weird NBA Rules

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

15 Weird NBA Rules 

Post#1 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 am

https://www.thesportster.com/basketball/15-weird-rules-the-nba-forces-on-its-players/

This was something different to read at least.

Number 1 was the most interesting to me. I always wondered what would happen if there was a horrific accident were to happen to a team. The NBA has a rule.

This is by far the craziest written rule the NBA will ever have, and it is rather genius. If a tragic accident were to happen in which five or more players from a team were to die, an emergency disaster draft would be held. Each of the other teams would only be allowed to protect five players, and the team affected by the disaster would be able to draft from the pool leftover from the teams. This is sort of the expansion style type draft, but with far less players protected by the other teams due to the severity of the situation. The fact that the NBA has a contingency plan if this were to happen is crazy, and hopefully will never have to be enacted. This rule was put in place due to the almost catastrophe of the 1960's Lakers, were ten players almost died in a heavy snow storm. The pilot was able to somehow land in the middle of a cornfield, avoided a complete disaster, as well as the first disaster draft.
ChimRichalds
Junior
And1: 679

Re: 15 Weird NBA Rules 

Post#2 » by ChimRichalds » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:25 am

Literally half the league could improve their rosters by having their current starting lineups die in a plane crash
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#3 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:41 am

ChimRichalds wrote:Literally half the league could improve their rosters by having their current starting lineups die in a plane crash

Heard the Knicks were trying to sign this guy:

ChimRichalds
Junior

Post#4 » by ChimRichalds » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:06 am

Here’s my three step plan for an easy NBA championship for any GMs lurking this board

1. Sign 5 homeless bums as your 9th-13th men
2. Have them fly separately and down their plane
3. Get 5 free starting quality players to replace them in the disaster draft

You’re welcome
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#5 » by fbalmeida » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:18 am

Each of the other teams would only be allowed to protect five players, and the team affected by the disaster would be able to draft from the pool leftover from the teams.

Hey. Lets do this. Take, for instance, the Phoenix Suns. Lets pretend they've lost their entire roster, say, in a plane that crashed straight into the Grand Canyon.

Each remaining 29 teams can protect 5 guys and the Suns can pick their full roster. What would would their team look like?

I'm going to give this a shot.

EDIT: A quick way to go about this would be to just pick the 12 best sixth-men in the NBA that would be likely to be left unprotected.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Duckrice
Junior
And1: 872

Post#6 » by Duckrice » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Calling some of these rules weird is a major stretch, but the disaster draft and the six men out of the timeout can definitely classify.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#7 » by bluerap23 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:51 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
Each of the other teams would only be allowed to protect five players, and the team affected by the disaster would be able to draft from the pool leftover from the teams.

Hey. Lets do this. Take, for instance, the Phoenix Suns. Lets pretend they've lost their entire roster, say, in a plane that crashed straight into the Grand Canyon.

Each remaining 29 teams can protect 5 guys and the Suns can pick their full roster. What would would their team look like?

I'm going to give this a shot.

EDIT: A quick way to go about this would be to just pick the 12 best sixth-men in the NBA that would be likely to be left unprotected.

A team like the clippers would probably protect Lou and Harrell. Also have to consider salary
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#8 » by fbalmeida » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Yup. Difficult to work through based on that alone. The Raptors would likely protect Lowry, VanVleet, OG, Siakam, and Ibaka, leaving Gasol unprotected. They'd be unlikely to pick Gasol.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
siakamthemvp
Freshman
And1: 88

Post#9 » by siakamthemvp » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:57 pm

I think making jokes about death is inappropriate. Even if it's not remotely serious. Even the 'sign 5 homeless guys' - they are still people just like these multimillionaire basketball players
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#10 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:06 pm

siakamthemvp wrote:I think making jokes about death is inappropriate. Even if it's not remotely serious. Even the 'sign 5 homeless guys' - they are still people just like these multimillionaire basketball players

That was my first instinct, but then I thought it can be okay as long as no one goes into deep analysis of the subject and makes jokes that are lighthearted and more funny than cruel
ChimRichalds
Junior

Post#11 » by ChimRichalds » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:19 pm

siakamthemvp wrote:I think making jokes about death is inappropriate. Even if it's not remotely serious. Even the 'sign 5 homeless guys' - they are still people just like these multimillionaire basketball players

How politically correct can you be? Joking about the deaths of imaginary, non-existent people? Cry me a river, comedy nazi.
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,799

Post#12 » by RyderMike » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:37 pm

The no punching the ball is interesting and something I never thought of. I have done that in pick up, where I might not be able to intercept a pass or something, I'll punch it so it goes somewhere else instead of the intended target

Reminds me of this play. In a similar situation, i might've been tempted to punch the ball to get it out of the way
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#13 » by lolwut » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:22 pm

I guess you wouldn't be a fan of this movie

2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#14 » by lolwut » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:25 pm

ChimRichalds wrote:Here’s my three step plan for an easy NBA championship for any GMs lurking this board

You’re welcome

And you keep doing that until every other NBA team's roster is depleted. Eventually you'll have LBJ/Curry/Davis/Kawhi/Giannis versus Drew League call-ups.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
gpoon
Pro Prospect
And1: 717

Post#15 » by gpoon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:06 pm

ChimRichalds wrote:Here’s my three step plan for an easy NBA championship for any GMs lurking this board

You’re welcome

just cause they are homeless doesn't make their lives meaningless... you are a sick individual.
ChimRichalds
Junior

Post#16 » by ChimRichalds » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:12 pm

gpoon wrote:

You’re welcome

just cause they are homeless doesn't make their lives meaningless... you are a sick individual.

And you're a braindead moron
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,829

Post#17 » by Duffman100 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:52 pm

ChimRichalds wrote:
gpoon wrote:

You’re welcome

Personal attack. --Duff

ChimRichalds
Junior

Post#18 » by ChimRichalds » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:54 pm

gpoon wrote:you are a sick individual.

not a personal attack lol
gpoon
Pro Prospect
And1: 717

Post#19 » by gpoon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:03 pm

ChimRichalds wrote:
gpoon wrote:

You’re welcome

:nod:
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#20 » by howlin mad axer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:11 pm

F the 14 second shot clock reset.

Return to Toronto Raptors