Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc) 

Post#1 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:01 am

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27588999/clips-arena-deal-include-100m-inglewood

"The Clippers, citing public records, called it the largest commitment of funding for community programs made in connection to a sports or entertainment venue in California, with $80 million of it going toward affordable housing, assistance to renters and first-time homebuyers, and $12.75 million going toward school and youth programs."

Ballmer also over the last 3+ years has renovated 350 basketball courts in LA. He's doing phenomenal with community work. Apparently the most a sports team in Cali has invested/donated prior was 18 million from the Warriors.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
poomaster
Senior
And1: 701

Re: Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc) 

Post#2 » by poomaster » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:05 am

Something tells me a construction company owned by Uncle Dennis will be getting a large chunk of those contracts.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,898

Re: Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc) 

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:07 am

Ballmer will go down as one of the greatest and most respect owners in the history. His passion is why players want to play for him and obvious LA gives him an edge too.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,365

Post#4 » by Dominator83 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 am

poomaster wrote:Something tells me a construction company owned by Uncle Dennis will be getting a large chunk of those contracts.

Or a judge....
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,008

Post#5 » by levon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 am

Inglewood:
Black or African American: 41.81%
White: 26.67%
Other race: 25.34%
Two or more races: 3.73%
Asian: 1.52%
Native American: 0.79%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.15%

Would love to see the numbers 20 years from now after this "investment".
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,147

Post#6 » by itrsteve » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:48 am

When you get to a certain level of wealth, philanthropy becomes the new pissing contest.

Glad he’s putting it back in the community. Can’t fault him on any account.

levon wrote:Inglewood:

Let’s suppose you’re right and it turns into a ultra-yuppie neighborhood. You’ll likely have a few generations kids off on a good foot and parents that aren’t forced to make bad decisions for the sake of survival. There’s a impact to starting off on the right foot which can have lasting effects for generations.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#8 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:54 am

really always a wonderful thing when a guy who has too much money for his own good actually uses it for good.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,868

Post#9 » by LakersLegacy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:55 am

Crazy that the national debt spends more than a 100 million per day JUST ON INTEREST.

I would rather be solving problems every day with the money wasted on interest. Glad Balmer is moving the team and investing in that community.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,008

Post#11 » by levon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:32 am

itrsteve wrote:When you get to a certain level of wealth, philanthropy becomes the new pissing contest.

Let’s suppose you’re right and it turns into a ultra-yuppie neighborhood. You’ll likely have a few generations kids off on a good foot and parents that aren’t forced to make bad decisions for the sake of survival. There’s a impact to starting off on the right foot which can have lasting effects for generations.

I'm not faulting him, I'm just very skeptical of any and all construction even if it's packaged as helping housing/the community. I've witnessed the effects of "affordable housing" firsthand in the bay area, where it's regularly packaged in to the local legislature as bills supposedly aiding the housing crisis, when in reality it's just generating hundreds of millions of dollars for tycoons and skyrocketing rent. The fact that it's tied to the construction of a giant entertainment complex certainly doesn't help my skepticism.

Those generations will be "getting off on the right foot" at the expense of the displaced folk indigenous to that community, who will then dip into the poverty line because they can't keep up with rent.
fianchetto
Starter
And1: 2,997

Post#12 » by fianchetto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:51 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27588999/clips-arena-deal-include-100m-inglewood

"The Clippers, citing public records, called it the largest commitment of funding for community programs made in connection to a sports or entertainment venue in California, with $80 million of it going toward affordable housing, assistance to renters and first-time homebuyers, and $12.75 million going toward school and youth programs."

Ballmer also over the last 3+ years has renovated 350 basketball courts in LA. He's doing phenomenal with community work. Apparently the most a sports team in Cali has invested/donated prior was 18 million from the Warriors.

I love Ballmer. OP reppin' the clips HARD since they got Kawhi :lol: . Love the passion.
“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,673

Post#13 » by dorkestra » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:55 am

fianchetto wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27588999/clips-arena-deal-include-100m-inglewood

I love Ballmer. OP reppin' the clips HARD since they got Kawhi :lol: . Love the passion.

I also admire his passion, but this has extended through tougher periods in Clippers history that preceded Kawhi. He was posting all about Gilgeous-Alexander last year.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
fianchetto
Starter

Post#14 » by fianchetto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:57 am

dorkestra wrote:
fianchetto wrote:

I also admire his passion, but this has extended through tougher periods in Clippers history that preceded Kawhi. He was posting all about Gilgeous-Alexander last year.

Fair. My comment wasn't meant to be disparaging. I just see the excitement more now lol
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,084

Post#15 » by JB2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 am

Not to take anything away from Ballmer, but in CA it is required when building multi-housing dwelling to incorporate low income housing no matter the size, scale, or price point of the project.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,124

Post#16 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:21 am

it's funny dude, black people are already being priced out of inglewood. why do you think the likes of ballmer are so keen on 'investing' there?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 am

levon wrote:
itrsteve wrote:When you get to a certain level of wealth, philanthropy becomes the new pissing contest.

I'm not faulting him, I'm just very skeptical of any and all construction even if it's packaged as helping housing/the community. I've witnessed the effects of "affordable housing" firsthand in the bay area, where it's regularly packaged in to the local legislature as bills supposedly aiding the housing crisis, when in reality it's just generating hundreds of millions of dollars for tycoons and skyrocketing rent. The fact that it's tied to the construction of a giant entertainment complex certainly doesn't help my skepticism.

Those generations will be "getting off on the right foot" at the expense of the displaced folk indigenous to that community, who will then dip into the poverty line because they can't keep up with rent.

LOL...yes...'affordable housing development just opened up next to me...$3200 for an 1 bedroom 800sq ft apartment...

affordable housing my ass
fianchetto
Starter

Post#18 » by fianchetto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:30 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:

it's funny dude, black people are already being priced out of inglewood. why do you think the likes of ballmer are so keen on 'investing' there?

I don't get your comment... are all black people poor? And what are you trying to say about Ballmer? honestly just don't get it
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#19 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:32 am

fianchetto wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:

I don't get your comment... are all black people poor? And what are you trying to say about Ballmer? honestly just don't get it

because when a filthy rich **** comes in and 'invests' in new housing in poor black communities, one of two things happen:

- either he's Donald Sterling and dude just turns into a slumlord

- or he's Steve Ballmer, who'll eventually price out the people that were and have been renting there
fianchetto
Starter

Post#20 » by fianchetto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:33 am

clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:it's funny dude, black people are already being priced out of inglewood. why do you think the likes of ballmer are so keen on 'investing' there?

because when a filthy rich **** comes in and 'invests' in new housing in poor black communities, one of two things happen:

- either he's Donald Sterling and dude just turns into a slumlord

- or he's Steve Ballmer, who'll eventually price out the people that were and have been renting there

lazy cynicism. Well done. **** donald sterling why compare him to ballmer for hyperbole

Return to The General Board