Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen will win an MVP during his career

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Ayman78
Sophomore
And1: 51

Lauri Markkanen will win an MVP during his career 

Post#1 » by Ayman78 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:45 am

As my title says I really believe that the Lauri Markkanen will win an MVP award and perhaps multiple. The key factors for him are health and a mental edge. Health is obvious availability is one of the best asset an athlete can have. Markkanen needs to develop the mental desire to want to take over a game, he has shown flashes of this, but it needs to be consistent.

What do you think? Can Markkanen be an MVP caliber player in the league? If you don't think he could ever win an MVP, what do you think is/will holding him back?
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 729

Re: Lauri Markkanen will win an MVP during his career 

Post#2 » by Hold That » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 am

I don’t see it. Nor do I see him developing into the type of player that would be the best player on a championship contending team.
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#3 » by keloms » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:06 am

Not a chance. Best case scenario to hope for is perhaps making top 40 and hoping a season or two closer to top 30.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,536

Post#4 » by PaKii94 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:14 am

Ayman78 wrote:As my title says I really believe that the Lauri Markkanen will win an MVP award and perhaps multiple. The key factors for him are health and a mental edge. Health is obvious availability is one of the best asset an athlete can have. Markkanen needs to develop the mental desire to want to take over a game, he has shown flashes of this, but it needs to be consistent.

What do you think? Can Markkanen be an MVP caliber player in the league? If you don't think he could ever win an MVP, what do you think is/will holding him back?

Dirk is iconic as the first GOAT stretch 4. Fully healthy I think Lauri will be the next GOAT pure stretch 4. But he has hopefully many great years left in his career to prove that
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,793

Post#5 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:17 am

Ayman78 wrote:As my title says I really believe that the Lauri Markkanen will win an MVP award and perhaps multiple. The key factors for him are health and a mental edge. Health is obvious availability is one of the best asset an athlete can have. Markkanen needs to develop the mental desire to want to take over a game, he has shown flashes of this, but it needs to be consistent.

Of course, as Bulls fans, I'd love for it to happen, but I think at his absolutely peak, we are looking at a top 15 player at best, and even that would be a stretch.

He will need to be healthy. The offensive system he plays under, would need to feature him as the primary scorer. He would need to become not a great defender, but an adequate defender.

Essentially, his offensive potential is his greatest asset, so he really needs an offense and team to cater around that, and with that, you hope that he continues to build confidence and becomes one of the best offensive players in the league.
Why so serious?
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#6 » by gardenofsound » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:21 am

PaKii94 wrote:

Dirk is iconic as the first GOAT stretch 4. Fully healthy I think Lauri will be the next GOAT pure stretch 4. But he has hopefully many great years left in his career to prove that

I'm not really sure how you can have multiple GOAT stretch 4's. "Greatest" implies that only one can have the title
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,536

Post#7 » by PaKii94 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:25 am

gardenofsound wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

I'm not really sure how you can have multiple GOAT stretch 4's. "Greatest" implies that only one can have the title

Yes and I think he'll be the one to take it. Older players get superceded by the younger. Same way there was a GOAT before MJ took the throne and I'm sure there will eventually be another player to take it from him.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#8 » by donaldtrump_00 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 am

Are we serious. Markkanen as the goat. Id rather lavine get these type of praises. He needs to get stronger and work on another go to move. Dirk had many moves in the post and a great face up game. Also got to the line. Tbh Lauri has more of a chance to be near porzingis level. I just don't see him being our first option ever. He can if he just over powers everyone and that's years from now
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,852

Post#9 » by nomorezorro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:55 am

it would definitely be cool if he did!
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,852

Post#10 » by nomorezorro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:56 am

that being said, you have to face a hard reality: statistics show the vast majority of players who have entered the nba — both active and retired — have actually not won an mvp during their career
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#11 » by JimmyJammer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:13 am

He is not even the MVP of his own team now, so this is a hard one to predict. His numbers were higher last season but his efficiency did not go up. His usage, however, was up. He has above average ball handling skills for a big man and he is a streaky shooter from deep, but he lacks a real feel for the game that is required for most MVP players. His moves around the basket lacks coordination and his footsteps are sub-par, but that's something he can definitely work on. My greatest concern, above all, is his inability to recognize what's around him. He'll never drop a pass to a teammate in position to score, and he has a problem recognizing double-teaming. But, the great thing is he is only 21.
DorO
Junior
And1: 201

Post#12 » by DorO » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:22 am

Lauri has no chance to be MVP even that I hoped to be wrong. But he has a chance to get one or more ASG game if he can be consistent and stay healthy.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Post#13 » by sco » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Sure. Why not.
:clap:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,624

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:35 pm

I don't think he has any chance to win MVP.

He isn't a dominant athlete which sets him at a massive disadvantage.

He isn't dominantly skilled to make up for the above.

The game has moved away from where a player of his type is a likely MVP candidate even if he somehow improves in the second of those categories.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#15 » by kingkirk » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Hell no.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#16 » by MGB8 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Highly unlikely. But.... But...

With the trend in the NBA - the embrace of the fact that 3 points is 50% more points than 2 points - with shooters routinely shooting over .400 on high volume from 3, so that you'd have to shoot at over .600, really, near .700, on high volume from 2 to equal that productivity (something impaired by the allowing of zones)...

With Markkanen's height advantage on most 4s, his athleticism to match up at the 4, and his range... in the context of this changed game... his upside may be quite a bit higher than what we've might immediately think based upon impressions shaped by the "old" NBA...
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#17 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:25 pm

Kawhilaugh.gif
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#18 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:26 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Yes and I think he'll be the one to take it. Older players get superceded by the younger. Same way there was a GOAT before MJ took the throne and I'm sure there will eventually be another player to take it from him.

No chance in hell there will be better player than Jordan ever. I mean Lebron as good as he is, isn't good enough to lick him shoes.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,441

Post#19 » by CBS7 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:02 pm

While chances are obviously slim to none that this actually happens, a couple of not so huge stretches happening this season could make it seem not so cra?Imagine he puts up 24/11 this season (not that big a stretch, he put up 21/10 per 36 last season and 25/12 for over a month) and the Bulls win 50 ish games (a bigger stretch, but lots of people are predicting they'll be around .500, Lauri making a big 3rd year leap could push them near 50 wins), he could end up top 5 in voting.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#20 » by drosereturn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:05 pm

keloms wrote:Not a chance. Best case scenario to hope for is perhaps making top 40 and hoping a season or two closer to top 30.

He is already closer to top 50 than many realizes and have broken the top 100 mark.
I still think LM can avg similar production to Dirk at his best but with less efficiency.
He used to be untradeable even for Luka but no longer that kind of status now that he is 1 yr closer to his new contract.
Still more untapped potential than Tatum but some long ways to go.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!

Return to Chicago Bulls