Iggy to Denver

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Iggy to Denver 

Post#1 » by giberish » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:47 am

Denver trades Will Barton and Porter Jr to Memphis for Andre Iguodala and one of Allen/Brooks/Melton - (Memphis' choice, just included for position/roster balance)

Denver does this for the win-now value of adding Iggy to their rotation. They've got plenty of depth so he won't have to play big minutes but can give them very effective minutes, especially in the playoffs. They also get out of the later years of Barton's deal giving them more room in their budget going forward (wherever they set it at).

Memphis does this for the upside of Porter. Obviously there are questions but he should have 1st round pick value. If he does work out his size and shooting could make a good forward combo with Clarke or Anderson. Memphis can also play him through early-career growing pains easier then a title-contending Denver team. Barton's under contract a couple more years but he's not dead-weight salary as he provides a veteran SG option that they currently don't have.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,530

Re: Iggy to Denver 

Post#2 » by Alatan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 am

Not interested in a 35 year old who is making 17 m a year.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,170

Post#3 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Don't see Denver giving Porter Jr away for Igoudala. They are loaded at the guard position I don't think they make this move especially giving up Barton as well
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#4 » by E S V L » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Not obvious for Memphis either.
FK NFL
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,791

Post#5 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Memphis should do this without question. Iggy has some value but really not much. Barton is a bad deal but not that bad. Iggy should be a Denver target, but I'd say Barton, prot 1st works.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#6 » by Mamba4Goat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:04 pm

I would try to do Hernangomez/Beasley before I do Porter if I'm Denver.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:I would try to do Hernangomez/Beasley before I do Porter if I'm Denver.

I was trying to think of a way to make Beasley work, because I think that's the right piece for both sides.

Barton, Beasley, Hernangomez for Iggy, Brooks, UTA 1st? The interesting protections on the Utah pick give it decent value.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#8 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:11 pm

I would try to do Hernangomez/Beasley before I do Porter if I'm Denver.

I think Beasley is pretty clearly above Hernangomez and Porter in terms of value. He is a uber athletic, good defender and clips 40% from 3. IDK why he is so undervalued on this board.

As for this deal, I like it for Denver but I have zero faith in MPJ, who if healthy is closer to Austin Daye than Kevin Durant or even Rashard Lewis IMO.

A veteran playoff guy like Iggy could be extremely valuable to Denver if they want to make a deep run this year. The West is wide open, dealing a unknown like MPJ for an old guy that regularly elevates his game in the playoffs isn't a crazy notion.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#9 » by Mamba4Goat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:28 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:I would try to do Hernangomez/Beasley before I do Porter if I'm Denver.

I was trying to think of a way to make Beasley work, because I think that's the right piece for both sides.

Barton, Beasley, Hernangomez for Iggy, Brooks, UTA 1st? The interesting protections on the Utah pick give it decent value.

Utah 1st seems too rich. Maybe a 2nd if that.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
giberish
RealGM

Post#10 » by giberish » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:58 pm

I'd value Beasley way above Porter. I don't see Hernangomez having enough value to make a deal work. For Denver, I really don't like them owing multiple future 1sts (they already owe one to OKC), they need to bring in new guys as their current young/cheap guys move out of rookie contracts.

Right now for Denver, I don't see Porter being good right away - I'd put Milsap, Grant, Craig, Barton, possibly Hernangomez and Vanderbuilt, Beasley playing a few SF minutes and Plumlee playing some PF all better options for PT at SF and PF for a win-now Denver team. He's the expendable guy one the roster with some trade value.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#11 » by loserX » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:38 pm

I am convinced there is a Memphis/Denver deal out there. Memphis has multiple defensive 3s that could fit great in Denver: Iguodala, Crowder, Hill (in obviously decreasing order of quality, and all on expiring deals).

And Memphis, who may have trouble getting buckets, could at least get some use out of Barton during his contract.

But settling on the sweetener Memphis gets has proven difficult. Denver has some young faces that could be of interest but it's tough to strike the right balance.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#12 » by Mykhyn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Does Denver really want Iggy back after how it ended last time?
giberish
RealGM

Post#13 » by giberish » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Cklbmk wrote:Does Denver really want Iggy back after how it ended last time?

The entire roster and coaching staff have turned over.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#14 » by psimanic1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 am

Nope, Denver is not willing to give young guys for Iggy, atleast they shouldn't be...Iggy is a guy that will get bought out one day for sure, he will get his buyout one way or the other and then if he wants to sign with Denver he can, if not, what makes you think he would want to play for Denver and get to training camp if he is traded to Denver? And you would give real value for him? Thanks but no thanks..
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,381

Post#15 » by Myth » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:37 pm

giberish wrote:

Yeah, I doubt that part would be the issue. The people and trajectory of the team are completely different. If Lakers can take Dwight back, I'm sure Denver and Iggy could figure it out.
Mykhyn
General Manager

Post#16 » by Mykhyn » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Myth wrote:
giberish wrote:

Yeah, I doubt that part would be the issue. The people and trajectory of the team are completely different. If Lakers can take Dwight back, I'm sure Denver and Iggy could figure it out.

How are the Lakers and Dwight comparable? Dwight was on his way out of the league after getting dumped at negative value by the last 4? teams he's played for.

Basically every team wants Iggy.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
Myth wrote:
giberish wrote:

How are the Lakers and Dwight comparable? Dwight was on his way out of the league after getting dumped at negative value by the last 4? teams he's played for.

The point is that if Denver, who has a need at the three and could use a strong veteran like Iggy, thinks he could help, all that stuff from years ago is not going to matter. Teams are smarter than that. Which is why the Lakers are also bringing Dwight back. Because he can help. And that situation was way worse.
Mykhyn
General Manager

Post#18 » by Mykhyn » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:06 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
Myth wrote:Yeah, I doubt that part would be the issue. The people and trajectory of the team are completely different. If Lakers can take Dwight back, I'm sure Denver and Iggy could figure it out.

The point is that if Denver, who has a need at the three and could use a strong veteran like Iggy, thinks he could help, all that stuff from years ago is not going to matter. Teams are smarter than that. Which is why the Lakers are also bringing Dwight back. Because he can help. And that situation was way worse.

You're looking at it from the team perspective.

Do you think iggy wants to go back there? Do you think he's going to try his best? Or do you think he's just going to constantly ask for a buyout like in Memphis?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:

Do you think iggy wants to go back there? Do you think he's going to try his best? Or do you think he's just going to constantly ask for a buyout like in Memphis?

I can't speak for Iggy but with totally different people in charge, a system that maximizes his talents, and a chance to win the West, I think he should be open to it.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,381

Post#20 » by Myth » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

I can't speak for Iggy but with totally different people in charge, a system that maximizes his talents, and a chance to win the West, I think he should be open to it.

Yeah, I view it the same way. There is no reason to believe he has beef with the current management, so why would he ask for a buyout from a team considered to be in contention?

Return to Trades and Transactions