Adopt the FIBA rules (Poll Added)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Should the NBA adopt FIBA's rules to improve D and showcase athletic shotblockers and shooting bigs?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 113

Je K
Rookie
And1: 1,647

Re: Adopt the FIBA rules 

Post#21 » by Je K » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Zeno wrote:I actually like the idea of having a slightly different set of rules for the two conferences. Maybe East plays FIBA and West play current NBA rules and when the two conferences play, they play with the home conferences rules like in MLB. It would deepen the talent pool available and be a way to level the conferences plus add to intrigue come the finals.

That quirk is awful in the MLB and it would be just as awful in the NBA
"We’re not dysfunctional."
-Alex Lasry
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#22 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:18 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
CoachD wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:The Sixers win the next 3 titles if they played with FIba rules, a frontcourt of Al Horford and Embiid in a matchup zone where Embiid can stand in the paint all game would lead to some horrific scores.

Disagree.

Brilliant coaches like Stevens, Bud and Nurse would run complex zone offenses and find backdoor layups over and over again

Stevens? His offense is pretty crude, and the current Celtics don't have the passers to pull that kind of thing off.

Bud & Nurse, sure if they had the personnel for it, but as constructed neither team is really built to beat a matchup zone that has Embiid in the middle just guarding space. The Jazz would be monsters as well just because Gobert wouldn't have to get out and guard in space.

Stevens was a college coach, that saw every form of zone imaginable and had success.

Nurse uses offenses predicated on ball movement. I bet alot of his man sets would be very effective against a matchup zone for just that reason
JimmerAllStar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,743

Post#23 » by JimmerAllStar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:19 pm

NBA == AND1

FIBA is real basketball. NBA is just a gimmick for fans who like to see trick shots.
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Je K wrote:
Zeno wrote:I actually like the idea of having a slightly different set of rules for the two conferences. Maybe East plays FIBA and West play current NBA rules and when the two conferences play, they play with the home conferences rules like in MLB. It would deepen the talent pool available and be a way to level the conferences plus add to intrigue come the finals.

I agree. Why do pitchers still hit????

I want the FIBA rules for the whole league, not just the East
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:20 pm

JimmerAllStar wrote:NBA == AND1

FIBA is real basketball. NBA is just a gimmick for fans who like to see trick shots.

Sadly this is true.
The next best thing is the NCAA in terms of real ball, but the talent level is just so much better at FIBA.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#26 » by rugbyrugger23 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:22 pm

The NBA doesn’t care what ‘collective us’ posting here think — not because we are degenerate message board trolls — but because we are die hard NBA fans. We are the smallest percentage of what makes up their viewing population (viewing being mostly TV but, ok, in arenas too).

Any league has to appeal to their number one fan population — the passive sports fan. The largest population of fan. These are the people who sit to the right of the die hard fan and to the left of person who doesn’t care about sports and won’t watch anyway.

This is why the NFL is king. Their games are a all welcoming social event and sports entertainment spectacle with a 1 week buildup to the main event (the Super Bowl being the Super Bowl of this entertainment product). Passive fans can get involved in a weekly event. They can and will watch on any forum — more so if a social setting involved (bar, party, tailgate).

The passive NFL fan can follow an organization a lot easier than a star (like NBA). NBA showcases their stars, and although NFL does too, the franchise blood runs deeper — even for passive fan. And more than likely passed down from one generation to the next (how many passive NFL fans do you know cheer for a specific team because “my dad or mom did?”)

Example: The passive NFL fan may be a Cowboys fan (puke) because they are “America’s Team” or because they like the uniform or because Jerry Jones (laugh) or because they reside in Dallas — but nothing specifically due to Dak, Tony, Troy, Roger — as those stars have come and gone over the years. (Not that those names are not important part of Cowboys history and legend, just not the end all be all of fandom for passive NFL fan).

A good NBA example is Bulls fans. How many less Bulls and NBA fans are there today vs. when Jordan played? Millions less. Why? The passive Bulls/NBA fan was able to attach themselves to Jordan. When the star left the building, so did that passive NBA fan.

Note: I know NFL fantasy football and NFL betting are a huge part (maybe bigger part) of NFL being king of sports entertainment, but that is a thread (or two) in itself!
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#27 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Forte IV wrote:The ball on the rim rule is dumb. Imagine if a 76er was allowed to tip Kawhi's shot off the rim. I hate it. Everything else I agree with.

That's just how US sports announcers say the rule works. It isn't like that. The ball can't have breached the cylinder. If someone knocked Kawhi's shot off the rim, after how it had been over the cylinder - under the FIBA rule, it would be automatically counted as a made basket.
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:22 pm

UcanUwill wrote:There are few FIBA rules I love. THe fact you cant call time out when balls in play, and assists counting rules.

As a coach, I used to HATE this rule, because it takes the game out of your hands a little bit. At first I thought, they are reducing my opportunity to strategically impact the game .... but that's simply not true.

The idea that in crunch time, you get rewarded with a saved possession AND advancing the ball to the front court for doing NOTHING but hugging the ball and calling time is a joke.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#29 » by crkone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:22 pm

So instead of having to be big and athletic enough to recover to guard the paint you just need to be a big stiff? Get out of here with that. In fact I'd rather see the 3 point line moved back with a larger restricted area to open it up even more.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,691

Post#30 » by Zeno » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Je K wrote:

Maybe, personally I like a little variety in style of play. It would also likely eliminate this talk of lowering the amount of playoff teams in the East and increase the desire of teams to get the #1 overall seeding to get homecourt in the finals. If it doesn't work and people hate it then you could always change one of the leagues back after a few year no problem unlike MLB where the PA will never let that happen in a million years. Yes I no none of this will ever happen too.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,022

Post#31 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm

CoachD wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
CoachD wrote:

Disagree.

Brilliant coaches like Stevens, Bud and Nurse would run complex zone offenses and find backdoor layups over and over again

Stevens? His offense is pretty crude, and the current Celtics don't have the passers to pull that kind of thing off.

Bud & Nurse, sure if they had the personnel for it, but as constructed neither team is really built to beat a matchup zone that has Embiid in the middle just guarding space. The Jazz would be monsters as well just because Gobert wouldn't have to get out and guard in space.

Stevens was a college coach, that saw every form of zone imaginable and had success.

Nurse uses offenses predicated on ball movement. I bet alot of his man sets would be very effective against a matchup zone for just that reason

I haven't been impressed by Stevens offense in the least bit, to me he seems like an excellent defensive coach that can draw up some great out of bounds plays but his actual offensive sets aren't anything to write home about.

Nurse is a great coach, doesn't change the fact that the roster is in flux with multiple expirings coming up, don't see how they'd be able to compete with the Sixers inside of a 3 year window in the hypothetical universe where the NBA adopts the Fiba rules this year.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#32 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:29 pm

crkone wrote:So instead of having to be big and athletic enough to recover to guard the paint you just need to be a big stiff? Get out of here with that. In fact I'd rather see the 3 point line moved back with a larger restricted area to open it up even more.

With the current NBA rules, NBA teams do not guard the rim.
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:32 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
CoachD wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

I haven't been impressed by Stevens offense in the least bit, to me he seems like an excellent defensive coach that can draw up some great out of bounds plays but his actual offensive sets aren't anything to write home about.

Nurse is a great coach, doesn't change the fact that the roster is in flux with multiple expirings coming up, don't see how they'd be able to compete with the Sixers inside of a 3 year window in the hypothetical universe where the NBA adopts the Fiba rules this year.

The Raps will be #1 or very close to it in passes per game this year. They were last year when Kawhi wasn't on the floor - and now they have a full year of Gasol. Their roster this season is very good. Going forward, who the hell knows - but I watched Nurse run BEAUTIFUL actions with a bunch of schlubs on Team Canada last month, so I have a LOT of faith in him
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
crkone wrote:So instead of having to be big and athletic enough to recover to guard the paint you just need to be a big stiff? Get out of here with that. In fact I'd rather see the 3 point line moved back with a larger restricted area to open it up even more.

With the current NBA rules, NBA teams do not guard the rim.

Correct

Despite the fact that blocked shots are only rivaled by huge dunks as crowd energizers
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:35 pm

False.

If a guy sits in the paint to just guard the rim, the NBA now has a HUGE array of centers that shoot mids and 3s...

Every NBA team puts plodding centers / shotblockers into pick and roll actions - this doesn't change that. If the center decides to sit back on it, and ICE the ball handler, they are leaving shooters WIDE open
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:37 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:The NBA doesn’t care what ‘collective us’ posting here think — not because we are degenerate message board trolls — but because we are die hard NBA fans. We are the smallest percentage of what makes up their viewing population (viewing being mostly TV but, ok, in arenas too).

Any league has to appeal to their number one fan population — the passive sports fan. The largest population of fan. These are the people who sit to the right of the die hard fan and to the left of person who doesn’t care about sports and won’t watch anyway.

This is why the NFL is king. Their games are a all welcoming social event and sports entertainment spectacle with a 1 week buildup to the main event (the Super Bowl being the Super Bowl of this entertainment product). Passive fans can get involved in a weekly event. They can and will watch on any forum — more so if a social setting involved (bar, party, tailgate).

The passive NFL fan can follow an organization a lot easier than a star (like NBA). NBA showcases their stars, and although NFL does too, the franchise blood runs deeper — even for passive fan. And more than likely passed down from one generation to the next (how many passive NFL fans do you know cheer for a specific team because “my dad or mom did?”)

Example: The passive NFL fan may be a Cowboys fan (puke) because they are “America’s Team” or because they like the uniform or because Jerry Jones (laugh) or because they reside in Dallas — but nothing specifically due to Dak, Tony, Troy, Roger — as those stars have come and gone over the years. (Not that those names are not important part of Cowboys history and legend, just not the end all be all of fandom for passive NFL fan).

A good NBA example is Bulls fans. How many less Bulls and NBA fans are there today vs. when Jordan played? Millions less. Why? The passive Bulls/NBA fan was able to attach themselves to Jordan. When the star left the building, so did that passive NBA fan.

Note: I know NFL fantasy football and NFL betting are a huge part (maybe bigger part) of NFL being king of sports entertainment, but that is a thread (or two) in itself!

Do you know what CASUAL NBA fans say?

They make fun of how "easy" it is to score and say the whole game is meaningless except the last 2 minutes. THIS rule change brings back some of the smashmouth nature that is so popular in Football
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,022

Post#37 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:38 pm

CoachD wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
CoachD wrote:

The Raps will be #1 or very close to it in passes per game this year. They were last year when Kawhi wasn't on the floor - and now they have a full year of Gasol. Their roster this season is very good. Going forward, who the hell knows - but I watched Nurse run BEAUTIFUL actions with a bunch of schlubs on Team Canada last month, so I have a LOT of faith in him

Eh, I think they'll make the playoffs but the roster isn't that great and it's completely dependent on Siakam taking the next step as a scorer. You lost your two best wing defenders, top scorer and top 3 point shooter, that's not something you recover from easily, especially not if you think they will be able to compete with the Sixers.
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
CoachD wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Eh, I think they'll make the playoffs but the roster isn't that great and it's completely dependent on Siakam taking the next step as a scorer. You lost your two best wing defenders, top scorer and top 3 point shooter, that's not something you recover from easily, especially not if you think they will be able to compete with the Sixers.

Kawhi is an excellent defender (obviously) but during the regular season he was barely a net positive. He coasted.

Danny was a great net rating guy, but he didn't lock anyone down. He essentially funneled guys into doubles a lot. That's all Nurse.

Stanley Johnson is an above average wing defender. Hollis Jefferson is a solid defender.
Lowry, OG, Van Vleet, Powell, McCaw and Siakam are all excellent wing defenders

Toronto will have a top 5 defense.

All of the advanced metrics suggest they will be very, very good
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,569

Post#39 » by JayMKE » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:45 pm

FIBA isn't fun basketball to watch.
FREE GIANNIS
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#40 » by LKN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:46 pm

If people think NBA players would really have that much trouble scoring under FIBA rules you are basically admitting that they really aren't that great and are made to look that way by NBA officiating.

Personally I don't think that's true - I think NBA players ARE that good and things would be fine under FIBA rules.

Return to The General Board