Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#1 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:51 pm

He probably only said this because it isn't during the NBA season. If he said it during the NBA season, he probably would get an enormous fine.

https://clutchpoints.com/fiba-world-cup-news-tomas-satoransky-reacts-to-giannis-antetokounmpo-fouling-out/

Tomas Satoransky reacts to Giannis Antetokounmpo fouling out

“In Europe, they’d probably call it,” Satoransky told Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press. “In the NBA, they wouldn’t call it, obviously, because they protect stars.”
so_bored
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,053

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#2 » by so_bored » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:00 pm

People need to realize NBA is no longer a genuine sport. It's an entertainment show now. There are simply too much money involved now from both league and players perspective to change that. It's really unfortunate, but it is what it is.
GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,269

Post#3 » by GusT15 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 pm

In the NBA they called it in the 3d game of the ECF in the 2nd OT and then the Bucks lost and eventually got backdoor swept from the eventual champions Toronto Raptors.

The only difference is in the ECF it was a 50-50 call with Giannis on the defensive end.
In the World Cup vs the Czechs,it was NOT an offensive foul with Giannis on the offensive end.

raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,003

Post#4 » by raptor jesus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:04 pm

NBA officiating does have some annoying quirks - superstar calls, swallowing whistles down the stretch, etc. But when you watch other basketball - NCAA, FIBA - you realize how good they are, relatively speaking.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,036

Post#5 » by queridiculo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:07 pm

To me that's a no call either way.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,568

Post#6 » by homecourtloss » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:He probably only said this because it isn't during the NBA season. If he said it during the NBA season, he probably would get an enormous fine.

https://clutchpoints.com/fiba-world-cup-news-tomas-satoransky-reacts-to-giannis-antetokounmpo-fouling-out/

“In Europe, they’d probably call it,” Satoransky told Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press. “In the NBA, they wouldn’t call it, obviously, because they protect stars.”

So...are you saying Giannis without specifically “NBA rules” would be an average player? Good player? Same player? Which One? What about Curry or Durant or Brown or Davis or Kawhi or Embiid or Harden?
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Je K
Rookie
And1: 1,647

Post#7 » by Je K » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:12 pm

It's true that NBA refs tend to favor star players, but that play is a bad example. That was a bad call in any league.
"We’re not dysfunctional."
-Alex Lasry
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#8 » by leolozon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:14 pm

What's the rule in International basketball? Because I don't see how that was an offensive foul, the defender didn't really have position and was moving.

I just wish the refs didn't decide the outcome of games and in this case, it seems to me that they probably did exactly that.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,792

Post#9 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Yeah that should've been a no call.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#10 » by crkone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Yeah that was a terrible call in any league on this planet.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,726

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:25 pm

I'm a strong 'superstar call' skeptic--always seems to me that superstars know how to draw fouls (a big reason why they're superstars) and that at most the officials maybe keep a closer eye on them since they're so often fouled. I also think we pay way more attention when a bad call is made that favors Harden, Wade, etc because we're looking to confirm the 'star call' narrative, while we brush aside bad calls that benefit Thomas Bryant or Aron Baynes or Darren Collison or whoever because we don't have anything we're looking for with them.

Beyond that the main reason I'm skeptical is that the league actually telling refs 'you must call more fouls to pad star stats' would require a big conspiracy that would 100% inevitably come out, and the backlash from it would be more damaging than the benefit of stars getting an extra ppg or 2. Seems like a losing strategy and I strongly doubt an image conscious league would make that calculation.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:31 pm

GusT15 wrote:Image

In the NBA they called it in the 3d game of the ECF in the 2nd OT and then the Bucks lost and eventually got backdoor swept from the eventual champions Toronto Raptors.

The only difference is in the ECF it was a 50-50 call with Giannis on the defensive end.
In the World Cup vs the Czechs,it was NOT an offensive foul with Giannis on the offensive end.

Like Satoransky said, in Europe they call that. Because they don't allow "stars" to lower their shoulder into the defender, like they do in the NBA.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#13 » by drosereturn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:38 pm

HotelVitale wrote:I'm a strong 'superstar call' skeptic--always seems to me that superstars know how to draw fouls (a big reason why they're superstars) and that at most the officials maybe keep a closer eye on them since they're so often fouled. I also think we pay way more attention when a bad call is made that favors Harden, Wade, etc because we're looking to confirm the 'star call' narrative, while we brush aside bad calls that benefit Thomas Bryant or Aron Baynes or Darren Collison or whoever because we don't have anything we're looking for with them.

Beyond that the main reason I'm skeptical is that the league actually telling refs 'you must call more fouls to pad star stats' would require a big conspiracy that would 100% inevitably come out, and the backlash from it would be more damaging than the benefit of stars getting an extra ppg or 2. Seems like a losing strategy and I strongly doubt an image conscious league would make that calculation.

Not all stars are created equal. Guys like Harden basically abuse the rules and get so much unfair calls I lost total respect.
Giannis seemed to benefit a lot from these superstar calls although he did not intended to.
Players like D Rose, Luka seems to translate very well in Fiba considering they focus on making good plays instead of intentional contact for free throws.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#14 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:40 pm

- 1st I saw that play... yeah. It's a bad call. Some of the worst calls in sports have happened in international competitions, and on grander stages than the qualification round of FIBA.

- As for NBA officiating, "superstar treatment" has been a hot-button issue for literally decades. At least the league no longer employs a guy fixing games for the mob (that we know of)... so progress!
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,492

Post#15 » by Duffman100 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Neither plays were charges haha.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,186

Post#16 » by brownbobcat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:51 pm

leolozon wrote:What's the rule in International basketball? Because I don't see how that was an offensive foul, the defender didn't really have position and was moving.

I just wish the refs didn't decide the outcome of games and in this case, it seems to me that they probably did exactly that.

I'm not a fan of battering ram basketball - just because the defender is still moving his feet doesn't mean you should be able to lower your shoulder and run full speed into him. With the ECF blocking call, that was Giannis as the defender putting himself in Siakam's path without being set. In contrast, the FIBA play had Giannis as the offensive player swerving back into the defender's body with his shoulder.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:52 pm

As Satoransky said, in EuroLeague that's either a no call, or they probably call the offensive foul. They don't allow offensive players to recklessly drive into the defender, and then lower their shoulder. The defender being in position or not is secondary to that.

That's the difference, NBA rules are geared to make it an offensive league, favoring the offense, and favoring the "stars", since that type of rule interpretation will benefit them.

Now we have the forum judging FIBA calls, based on how NBA refs interpret them.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#18 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:55 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:He probably only said this because it isn't during the NBA season. If he said it during the NBA season, he probably would get an enormous fine.

So...are you saying Giannis without specifically “NBA rules” would be an average player? Good player? Same player? Which One? What about Curry or Durant or Brown or Davis or Kawhi or Embiid or Harden?

You know he's trolling. He actually thinks the Euroleague is on the same level as the NBA.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,184

Post#19 » by kenwood3333 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:57 pm

so_bored wrote:People need to realize NBA is no longer a genuine sport. It's an entertainment show now. There are simply too much money involved now from both league and players perspective to change that. It's really unfortunate, but it is what it is.

When was it a genuine sports? It was always labeled as sports entertainment, by the NBA themselves.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#20 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
GusT15 wrote:Image

Like Satoransky said, in Europe they call that. Because they don't allow "stars" to lower their shoulder into the defender, like they do in the NBA.

Lol at the use of the " for stars. You're going to have to get over the fact that Giannis is one of the best players in the WORLD, maybe the best. With or without superstar calls.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.

Return to The General Board