Adopt the FIBA rules (Poll Added)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Should the NBA adopt FIBA's rules to improve D and showcase athletic shotblockers and shooting bigs?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 113

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Re: Adopt the FIBA rules 

Post#81 » by crkone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:57 pm

CoachD wrote:
crkone wrote:
CoachD wrote:
How effective was that system when Ibaka drained elbow jumper after elbow jumper in every regular season game against the Bucks and in the playoffs? Ibaka led the league in % from that spot, and still was left wide open...

And then Gasol draining 3s and being left open to facilitate the offense....

This was a BIG reason the Bucks got backdoor swept...

So no, it wouldn't be the way you describe.

It couldn't be that they completely took away Giannis from scoring in the paint. No it couldn't be that. :lol:

Yup, that's a huge piece. But they also had to score. And WHERE were they finding points when Bud was trying to use similar paint protection to the Raps?

Van Vleet shot 57% on 25 open and wide open 3s in the conference finals. Gasol was wide open and shot 41%. That's still worse than a wide open shot at the rim.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Zaschrona
Sixth Man
And1: 1,324

Re: Adopt the FIBA rules (Poll Added) 

Post#82 » by Zaschrona » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Also another thing what speaks for NBA adopting FIBA rules: all young players around the world learn playing the sport with quite a bit different rules. How does that help them then when they come play in the NBA? It is almost like if soccer Premier League had bigger penalty boxes, 108 minutes long matches, a rule that no player can stay in the inner penalty box for longer than 3 seconds, you could make more fouls before getting a red card, etc. Just does not make real sense for a sport having so big differencies in the rules. It would just be a different sport. It is quite clear that NBA makes it harder for players to come to play in this league, the league somehow limits its potential talent pool in this way, as it takes time for players to adapt and some of them fail in this.

In my opinion all of basketball basically needs the same basic rules all around the world as well as in the biggest league, it is just nonsense for a sport to have different rules in other leagues. Football, tennis, even ice hockey is going to have all have the same rules around the world with rinks getting smaller in the Europe. NBA and basketball fails in this.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,456

Post#83 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:FIBA's rules make for a less enjoyable game. The last thing we really need is more post play. And the very idea of even having positions in the allstar game is beyond dated. Bringing back the CENTER to the allstar game? Get out of here!

The NBA's rules and reffing have made it an extremely soft league. It's like pansies playing basketball. Just about every single decent professional basketball league in the world is much more physical than the NBA, and doesn't allow endless wide open dunks and layups like the NBA does with the defensive 3 seconds rule.

Look at any other decent pro basketball league, and the refs allow physical contact and the players to play, the NBA on the other hand mainly only allows physical contact if an offensive player is piling his way into the defenders, or lowering his shoulder to knock defenders over.

The scary thing about that is, this NBA way of controlling how good players are though reffing, is starting to creep into FIBA, with how in the Greece - New Zealand game, the refs kept giving Giannis drawn fouls for him bowling into the defense - something only seen in the NBA, and not in any other league or competition. In several of the recent FIBA tournaments, the refs were also making it so that defenders couldn't even touch Pau Gasol - something we never saw before in FIBA.

Slowly but surely, this NBA methodology of making games a foul drawing contest (James Harden, Dywane Wade, and so forth), and all about "creating stars", is going to taint worldwide basketball, if it isn't reversed.

As soon as you called the league soft, I knew you didn't have much to add. And it only went down hill from there. If you like a league that lets talentless hacks play, there are options for that.
Je K
Rookie
And1: 1,647

Post#84 » by Je K » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:46 pm

CoachD wrote:
Je K wrote:
Zeno wrote:I actually like the idea of having a slightly different set of rules for the two conferences. Maybe East plays FIBA and West play current NBA rules and when the two conferences play, they play with the home conferences rules like in MLB. It would deepen the talent pool available and be a way to level the conferences plus add to intrigue come the finals.

That quirk is awful in the MLB and it would be just as awful in the NBA

I agree. Why do pitchers still hit????

I want the FIBA rules for the whole league, not just the East

I think I'm in the minority but I don't like the DH. But I would still prefer that every team uses a DH rather than having different rules.
"We’re not dysfunctional."
-Alex Lasry
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#85 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:48 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
CoachD wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:No it isn't. The rules haven't changed all that much from 10 years ago. Hell, you could say even 20 to 30 years ago.

The only two differences from years ago is the emergence of players like Curry and other elite shooters and the emphasis on the importance of 3pt shots and the refs calling games softer now. Outside of handchecking and a couple of other rules, not much else has changed.

Well, I guess you could count the flopping as well that the Euro's brought from overseas.

Your facts are so wrong, I don't even know where to start

Go ahead and start then. Educate me. Don't just say some vague stuff and move on.

Players are getting better, they're jacking up more 3's and running more, and there are advanced stats now that shows the best and most effecient ways to score.

But sure, lets let people swat the ball off the rim because someone didn't swish the shot. So exciting.

There are more 3s because

A) up until the early 2000s, most coaches still say the 3 as a gimmick
B) you cannot touch anyone on the perimeter and they are free to launch whatever they want

If players were still handchecking and playing physical perimeter D, the amount of 3FGA would be WAY down.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#86 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:37 pm

CoachD wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
CoachD wrote:I saw someone post this on Facebook, and I full co-sign on this idea.

The NBA needs to adopt the FIBA defensive rules.

No defensive 3 or (2.9 as NBA coaches and players refer to it) should be a must. Stop punishing shot blockers for eating up space and being big. If you want them out of the key, move them the old fashioned way... by putting them in P&R actions or running sets or having big bodies throw screens at them.

The goaltend rule and the physicality in the key should also be adopted. I'd much rather see tough physical play rather than this "don't touch me" crap that we currently have. I'm not just talking about the jockeying for position under the rim. That is STILL a physical war in the NBA that is virtually never called. A streaking ball handler coming through the lane however will almost always draw a foul when the opposing big even waves at them.

The bigs are so nerfed in the NBA it's ridiculous. They don't even have their own All Star position, yet the skillset of a center is so different.

The 3 second rule doesn't prevent bigs from protecting the paint, but they do need to be able to move their feet fast enough. Do we need to change the rules to make the game easier for slow-lumbering bigs who's primary talent are that they're really tall or heavy?

I love the idea of eliminating rules and simplifying the game whenever possible, but after legalizing zone defenses this does not seem like a good idea for the NBA.

It totally opens up the lane. Just look at Giannis's FGA per game in the NBA versus FIBA

If Gobert is watching the middle, and is mentally in tune with the 2.9, he slides out of the key and gets BURNED on the weakside or by a ball handler going right down the middle. By the time he recovers it's either too late, or he's created an And One because any contact NEAR the rim is considered a foul in the NBA

If Draymond can get there in time to contest, and Rudy cannot ... I guess I'm just not seeing the problem.

The NBA has nerfed big men numerous times over the years because fans just don't want to see games turned in to a slogfest. The fact Rudy Gobert just won DPOY would seem to demonstrate that things haven't swung too far.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#87 » by CoachD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:44 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
CoachD wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
The 3 second rule doesn't prevent bigs from protecting the paint, but they do need to be able to move their feet fast enough. Do we need to change the rules to make the game easier for slow-lumbering bigs who's primary talent are that they're really tall or heavy?

I love the idea of eliminating rules and simplifying the game whenever possible, but after legalizing zone defenses this does not seem like a good idea for the NBA.

It totally opens up the lane. Just look at Giannis's FGA per game in the NBA versus FIBA

If Gobert is watching the middle, and is mentally in tune with the 2.9, he slides out of the key and gets BURNED on the weakside or by a ball handler going right down the middle. By the time he recovers it's either too late, or he's created an And One because any contact NEAR the rim is considered a foul in the NBA

If Draymond can get there in time to contest, and Rudy cannot ... I guess I'm just not seeing the problem.

The NBA has nerfed big men numerous times over the years because fans just don't want to see games turned in to a slogfest. The fact Rudy Gobert just won DPOY would seem to demonstrate that things haven't swung too far.

Gobert is the best rim protector in the game... and he averaged 2.2 blocks per game.

Before the 2.9 rule existed, 6'7" Ben Wallace averaged over 3 blocks per game.

I'd rather see Rudy block 3 -5 shots per game and make the game more of a battle / chess match rather than just a war of attrition
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#88 » by vagelis » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:12 pm

The fiba rules are more fair. It does not matter who the player is, he will be treated the same like the others
Nba treats players with different rules.
Nba does not need to allow the defenders hand checking their opponents but it is also unacceptable to allow players push defenders with shoulder and arms and sending them to the line for an and1.
This makes the defenders to not try blocking the attacking player and thats a reason that we see wide open defenses.
Defenders have not the right to protect the rim against specific players, they need to keep away
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#89 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:14 pm

CoachD wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
CoachD wrote:

Gobert is the best rim protector in the game... and he averaged 2.2 blocks per game.

Before the 2.9 rule existed, 6'7" Ben Wallace averaged over 3 blocks per game.

I'd rather see Rudy block 3 -5 shots per game and make the game more of a battle / chess match rather than just a war of attrition

Ben also had ridiculous hops and timing and it seems to me making it harder for a player to succeed based on just extreme height/length makes it more of a "chess match". If anything Rudy would seem to be the proof that things haven't swung too far away from the 7-footer.

Personally, I think the league should be very cautious about making major changes and should allow time for teams to adapt to the changes already shaking out across the league. The process is pretty slow and IMO a lot of big games are won with basically junk offense and defense designed to exploit a weakness in the other team.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#90 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:23 pm

sure, if you want everyone to stop watching basketball. The physical defense and screens was allowed back in the 90's and led to 80-83 scoring games as the normal. Ratings were down. WE changed from illegal d, to illegal defensive 3 in order to get rid of confusion and stop dominant big men from being the only way to play. WE got rid of physical screens to speed up the game and we got rid of hand checking to free up the game. Then the NBA got rid of contact near the 3 and gave more free throws. every single thing the NBA does is to increase scoring.

WE can wish for FIBA rules all we want but they have 0 chance of happening. Full zone defense will reduce Giannis type MVP's and make it even more of an outside shooters game. And will lower points scored. The NBA will never do anything that reduces points scored. That's what makes it exciting. A Wiggins scores 20ppg, he must be a star!
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
peja_the_legend
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#91 » by peja_the_legend » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 pm

I dont know if NBA has to adopt every FIBA rule(goaltending in FIBA seems silly to me for example)..But defensive 3 seconds absolutely have to go.Teams should have the right to defend however the hell they want as long as they dont commit fouls.This rule never made sense to me."Hey nice defense you play there but you are 2.9 secs in the key,step out so that your opponent scores an uncontested lay up
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#92 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:29 pm

peja_the_legend wrote:I dont know if NBA has to adopt every FIBA rule(goaltending in FIBA seems silly to me for example)..But defensive 3 seconds absolutely have to go.Teams should have the right to defend however the hell they want as long as they dont commit fouls.This rule never made sense to me."Hey nice defense you play there but you are 2.9 secs in the key,step out so that your opponent scores an uncontested lay up

Get rid of Defensive 3 seconds and Tacko Fall goes from 15th man to starting center in the NBA.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
peja_the_legend
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#93 » by peja_the_legend » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
peja_the_legend wrote:I dont know if NBA has to adopt every FIBA rule(goaltending in FIBA seems silly to me for example)..But defensive 3 seconds absolutely have to go.Teams should have the right to defend however the hell they want as long as they dont commit fouls.This rule never made sense to me."Hey nice defense you play there but you are 2.9 secs in the key,step out so that your opponent scores an uncontested lay up

Get rid of Defensive 3 seconds and Tacko Fall goes from 15th man to starting center in the NBA.

No he doesnt.Stiffs like him arent useful in FIBA ball either.You still got to be mobile to guard in perimeter,defend pick n rolls etc.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#94 » by asdfgh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:The NBA should absolutely adopt those rules you mentioned. But the NBA is obviously only concerned with making tall freak athletes look like great basketball players - whether they can even dribble or shoot, or have any scoring moves or not, is irrelevant. And also just concerned with making guys stars if they can simply shoot 3 pointers, whether or not they could actually compete with real physical play and defense is also irrelevant to what the NBA wants.

Giannis Antetokounmpo was the NBA's MVP, and he looked absolutely awful the entire tournament, whenever he had to go against a set defense in the half court. But the NBA rules and reffing made him look like Superman up until game 3 of the eastern conference finals. It's a joke, it really is.

But the NBA's marketing gimmicks want it that way. They can just create any story line they want, as long as they have these rules and reffing criteria, which makes the NBA something like a 50/50 combination of competitive sports and the WWE. They don't want an actual real sporting competition, like say the FIBA World Cup.

Giannis didn't look awful. I thought you only hated his brother, but I see you hate Giannis too. Stop it. Just stop it.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#95 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 pm

LKN wrote:If people think NBA players would really have that much trouble scoring under FIBA rules you are basically admitting that they really aren't that great and are made to look that way by NBA officiating.

Personally I don't think that's true - I think NBA players ARE that good and things would be fine under FIBA rules.

Only some NBA players. It depends on their skills, fundamentals, basketball IQ, and decision making. Many NBA players needed the NBA rules changes to look like they do in NBA now. If there were not many NBA players that would struggle without those rules changes....the NBA never would have changed the rules. They changed the rules specifically because so many NBA players were not developing the proper skills.

Giannis is the most glaring example of this ever. He looks unstoppable in the NBA regular season, then looks overrated in the playoffs against a good defensive team like the Raptors, that decided to cut off his drives to the basket from the open court, then looks almost unplayable in the half court under FIBA rules with Greece's national team.

The difference is so incredibly obvious.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#96 » by asdfgh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:35 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
CoachD wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:God no...

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion. Care to explain?

FIBA's rules make for a less enjoyable game. The last thing we really need is more post play. And the very idea of even having positions in the allstar game is beyond dated. Bringing back the CENTER to the allstar game? Get out of here!

I grew up watching the NBA in the 90s when post play still existed, and I really miss that type of basketball.
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,297

Post#97 » by Side beard » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:41 pm

JayMKE wrote:FIBA isn't fun basketball to watch.

Which part of the iso drive to the basket -> foul is fun to watch exactly?
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#98 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:42 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:No it isn't. The rules haven't changed all that much from 10 years ago. Hell, you could say even 20 to 30 years ago.

The only two differences from years ago is the emergence of players like Curry and other elite shooters and the emphasis on the importance of 3pt shots and the refs calling games softer now. Outside of handchecking and a couple of other rules, not much else has changed.

Well, I guess you could count the flopping as well that the Euro's brought from overseas.

In case you are not aware, flopping is banned in EuroLeague and FIBA competitions. It's banned. It's only generally allowed in the NBA actually. Add that to the list of rules the NBA needs to adopt from FIBA. The NBA needs to ban flopping, just like it's banned in FIBA.

However, as long as the NBA allows flopping, then certain "stars" can use it to their unfair advantage, again something the NBA does to help certain players.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#99 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:54 pm

The first FIBA rule I would adopt is the shorter length games. I suspect 40 minute NBA games could be popular with both players and fans.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#100 » by yellowknifer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Zeno wrote:I actually like the idea of having a slightly different set of rules for the two conferences. Maybe East plays FIBA and West play current NBA rules and when the two conferences play, they play with the home conferences rules like in MLB. It would deepen the talent pool available and be a way to level the conferences plus add to intrigue come the finals.

I would love to see that. It will never happen though imo.

Return to The General Board