Image ImageImage Image

Lauri to get more time at C

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,536

Re: Lauri to get more time at C 

Post#61 » by PaKii94 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:50 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
GrowingHorns wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
It already did slow him down last season. He was also clearly less explosive - instead of going for dunks every time like before, Lauri went up with all kinds of soft twisting layups like he was Kris Dunn.

Maybe, maybe. There's also the little thing of elbow injury... I might take easier with dunks for that season...

Do you have actual stats on this, because I thought he actually dunked more frequently his second year than his first and it helped that he was stronger, that he had more confidence to attack the rim more aggresively.

He actually had half the dunks second season (31 vs 63) and attempted them at twice the rate freshman year (.079 vs .040)
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#62 » by ZOMG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:35 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
GrowingHorns wrote:
Maybe, maybe. There's also the little thing of elbow injury... I might take easier with dunks for that season...

Do you have actual stats on this, because I thought he actually dunked more frequently his second year than his first and it helped that he was stronger, that he had more confidence to attack the rim more aggresively.

He actually had half the dunks second season (31 vs 63) and attempted them at twice the rate freshman year (.079 vs .040)

Yup.

Lauri was slower, more groundbound and more tentative. When he realized he was lacking footspeed and explosion, he started relying heavily on the driving hesitation move that already looked like a crutch by the end of the season.

IMO he should tone down that old man crap and start banging on fools again.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,536

Post#63 » by PaKii94 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:56 pm

ZOMG wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

Yup.

Lauri was slower, more groundbound and more tentative. When he realized he was lacking footspeed and explosion, he started relying heavily on the driving hesitation move that already looked like a crutch by the end of the season.

I'm in the "he was passive because of injury recovery" camp. It was already a lost season so he might as well have worked on the old man moves. Those help extend careers :P. But I want definitely want to see an aggressive Lauri again who's not afraid to let it fly
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Post#64 » by sco » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:11 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Yup.

I'm in the "he was passive because of injury recovery" camp. It was already a lost season so he might as well have worked on the old man moves. Those help extend careers :P. But I want definitely want to see an aggressive Lauri again who's not afraid to let it fly

Yeah - I'm fine with dunking on cuts and breaks, but that's it. He should focus on taking and making 3's. Do not need him posting up.
:clap:
85Bears
Pro Prospect
And1: 135

Post#65 » by 85Bears » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Bulls are going to try and win as many games as they can. When it is crunch time, we want our best, most experienced players on the floor.

I expect the “closing” 5 to be:

Sato
Lavine
Porter
Young
Lauri

That would put Lauri at the 5 to finish games. I would be fine with this. Best case is WCJ is awesome and cracks that lineup instead of Young but I don’t expect that until 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sco
RealGM

Post#66 » by sco » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:32 pm

85Bears wrote:Bulls are going to try and win as many games as they can. When it is crunch time, we want our best, most experienced players on the floor.

Sato
Lavine
Porter
Young
Lauri

That would put Lauri at the 5 to finish games. I would be fine with this. Best case is WCJ is awesome and cracks that lineup instead of Young but I don’t expect that until 2020.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if WCj supplants Lauri in the closing line-up by end-of-year, but it doesn't really matter. Point is more about minutes not played by bad players over course of game.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by ZOMG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:07 am

sco wrote:
85Bears wrote:Bulls are going to try and win as many games as they can. When it is crunch time, we want our best, most experienced players on the floor.

Sato
Lavine
Porter
Young
Lauri

It wouldn't surprise me at all if WCj supplants Lauri in the closing line-up by end-of-year, but it doesn't really matter. Point is more about minutes not played by bad players over course of game.

Lauri has been one of the clutchest Bulls players over his career and is a 7 footer who's always a threat from the outside. It would make absolutely zero sense to leave him out of crunch time lineups.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by ZOMG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 am

sco wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
Yup.

Yeah - I'm fine with dunking on cuts and breaks, but that's it. He should focus on taking and making 3's. Do not need him posting up.

It doesn't work like that. When the other team can prevent Lauri's perimeter looks by planting a smaller dude inside his jersey, he needs to have a plan B - taking the defender into the post. That's just NBA 101.

You're making it seem like he's a 7 foot Kyle Korver.
sco
RealGM

Post#69 » by sco » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:38 pm

ZOMG wrote:
sco wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

It doesn't work like that. When the other team can prevent Lauri's perimeter looks by planting a smaller dude inside his jersey, he needs to have a plan B - taking the defender into the post. That's just NBA 101.

Plan B be should be to learn to shoot contested 3's over smaller dudes.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by ZOMG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm

sco wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
sco wrote:Yeah - I'm fine with dunking on cuts and breaks, but that's it. He should focus on taking and making 3's. Do not need him posting up.

I don't know what you're talking about. If anything, Lauri has always been better at shooting contested threes. It's the wide open ones he always seems to miss.

Still, generally NBA defenders are way too athletic. If a defender really wants to run you off the perimeter, you're not getting a good shot off, period. You need other weapons, and Lauri is missing a major one.

This "he doesn't need any post moves" is just a really baffling take.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,302

Post#71 » by HoopsterJones » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:29 pm

Is this when WCJ isn’t playing the C? Ideally I would want both of them on the floor at the same time with WCJ anchoring the defense and Lauri playing the stretch 4 role.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
sco
RealGM

Post#72 » by sco » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:47 pm

ZOMG wrote:
sco wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about. If anything, Lauri has always been better at shooting contested threes. It's the wide open ones he always seems to miss.

Still, generally NBA defenders are way too athletic. If a defender really wants to run you off the perimeter, you're not getting a good shot off, period. You need other weapons, and Lauri is missing a major one.

This "he doesn't need any post moves" is just a really baffling take.

I agree that Lauri misses too many open 3's. I disagree that he shouldn't be able to shoot 3's contested by guards.

To give Lauri credit, he has good vision and passing, and unlike past seasons, having 4 other capable offensive players on the court should create passing opportunities. IMO, the paint should be reserved for WCj posting-up and cutting from the other 4 guys. I like Lauri as a cutter a lot more than I want him to be a regular post-up target.

Return to Chicago Bulls