NBA Teams And NBA Era Team USA Have Lost 36 Times To International Teams

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Re: USA Teams With 12 NBA Players Have Lost 10 Times In FIBA Play Since 2002 

Post#61 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Showtime23 wrote:Whats really shocking is a team with 12 NBA players (most of them stars) cannot even make it to the finals.
This FIBA tourney is making me rethink whether NBA is the best league in the world.
If Luka is already a lock at MVP in the NBA for the foreseeable future, maybe Euroleague isnt that far off.

:lol:

Luka is a Lo- :rofl: Thanks needed the laugh.

Who were the stars on Team USA? Kemba Walker was the only All-Star on the team. Really interested to see your list because your post reeks of an agenda.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#62 » by JN61 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:52 pm

USA starting to have problem on their talent I feel. quality of basketball training must have gone down on past 10-15 years. Medium talent is simply not there anymore and more and more European talent is dominating that talent pool even in NBA, and I won't even go to entitlement of American NBA players with their attitudes, for now.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#63 » by JN61 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:Whats really shocking is a team with 12 NBA players (most of them stars) cannot even make it to the finals.
This FIBA tourney is making me rethink whether NBA is the best league in the world.
If Luka is already a lock at MVP in the NBA for the foreseeable future, maybe Euroleague isnt that far off.

Who were the stars on Team USA? Kemba Walker was the only All-Star on the team. Really interested to see your list because your post reeks of an agenda.

If one is to believe this board NBA is by far the most talented league. So to be significant starter in NBA is definition of star world wide.

- Also Middleton was all-star if you want to use narrow thinking of only NBA all-stars matter.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#64 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:59 pm

JN61 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:

If one is to believe this board NBA is by far the most talented league. So to be significant starter in NBA is definition of star world wide.

- Also Middleton was all-star if you want to use narrow thinking of only NBA all-stars matter.

You're right, forgot about the guy that rode Giannis' coattails to the All-Star game. My bad. I'll take that L.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#65 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:If we want to break it down to individual players doing the most damage to beat USA , we have: (official games are in bold)

2002 against Argentina - Manu Ginobili

2002 against FR Yugoslavia - Peja Stojakovic

2002 against Spain - Juan Carlos Navarro

2004 against Italy - Gianluca Basile

2004 against Puerto Rico - Carlos Arroyo

2004 against Lithuania - Sarunas Jasikevicius

2004 against Argentina - Manu Ginobili

2006 against Greece - Vassilis Spanoulis

2019 against Australia - Patty Mills

2019 against France - Rudy Gobert

Hmm. I see a trend here. It seems to me that 5 of the 8 players that were bolded were NBA players. Most of them All-Stars (Ginobili twice, Gobert, Peja) and one decent role player (Arroyo.) Yep, checks out since the NBA clearly has the best talent, so I believe this list.
loveandbeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,275

Post#66 » by loveandbeer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:06 pm

If I were American I'd just be straight up embarrassed to be honest.

Guys here saying otherwise are just salty. Just take the L. It can happen but for sure it's embarrassing as hell.

No shame in admitting it IMO.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,384

Post#67 » by The4thHorseman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Which players on the team do you think are considered NBA stars?
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#68 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:11 pm

loveandbeer wrote:If I were American I'd just be straight up embarrassed to be honest.

Guys here saying otherwise are just salty. Just take the L. It can happen but for sure it's embarrassing as hell.

You're trying to make it something that it's not. If you were American you wouldn't care, just like the rest of us. FIBA just doesn't mean a thing to us. I'm not even sure where/if they televised the games over here. Not even sure Canada cares either. We have much better quality of basketball in the NBA that means more to us.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,384

Post#69 » by The4thHorseman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:11 pm

loveandbeer wrote:If I were American I'd just be straight up embarrassed to be honest.

Most Americans don't even know the tournament is taking place.
The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#70 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:14 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:

I didn't even know the US was playing France and I've been cheering for and keeping tabs on Fournier as a Magic fan. He's been destroying the competition.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#71 » by BallerTalk » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Are you really counting prep games?
Isn't that like counting preseason games in the NBA?

Yep, no desperate agenda here.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#72 » by jinxed » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:If we want to break it down to individual players doing the most damage to beat USA , we have: (official games are in bold)

Every single one of these players played in the NBA.
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Re: USA Teams With 12 NBA Players Have Lost 17 Times In FIBA Play Since 2002 

Post#73 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:53 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:

Hmm. I see a trend here. It seems to me that 5 of the 8 players that were bolded were NBA players. Most of them All-Stars (Ginobili twice, Gobert, Peja) and one decent role player (Arroyo.) Yep, checks out since the NBA clearly has the best talent, so I believe this list.

So how do you explain Juan Carlos Navarro, Gianluca Basile, Sarunas Jasikevicius, and Vassilis Spanoulis all causing Team USA so many problems? All of those players are considered to be so-called "EuroLeague level players" by 95+% of this forum.

So 4 of the 9 players were "EuroLeague level players" according to this forum. 4 "EuroLeague level players" caused havoc to Team USA's that were consisting of 12 NBA starters. Gianluca Basile and Vassilis Spanoulis did it while playing on their own teams which had zero NBA players.

So....Italy (prep game) and Greece (official elimination game), with zero NBA players on their rosters, and led by "a EuroLeague level player", both beat teams consisting of 12 NBA starters? Does not add up at all, it simply does not compute, if the NBA is actually at the level this forum says it is, when compared to other leagues in the world.
Pumpkin17
Junior
And1: 451

Post#74 » by Pumpkin17 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:06 pm

The thing with NBA and Euroleague is that with the NBA becoming more and more open to foreign players, the best talent from Europe will come more and more to the NBA. Now you already have all euro top talents coming to the NBA, you cannot have anymore a Bodiroga level talent stay in europe for all his career.

So not only NBA is better now, but it's going to be increasingly better in the future.
jinxed
Starter

Post#75 » by jinxed » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:

So how do you explain Juan Carlos Navarro, Gianluca Basile, Sarunas Jasikevicius, and Vassilis Spanoulis all causing Team USA so many problems? All of those players are considered to be so-called "EuroLeague level players" by 95+% of this forum.

So 4 of the 9 players were "EuroLeague level players" according to this forum. 4 "EuroLeague level players" caused havoc to Team USA's that were consisting of 12 NBA starters. Gianluca Basile and Vassilis Spanoulis did it while playing on their own teams which had zero NBA players.

So....Italy (prep game) and Greece (official elimination game), with zero NBA players on their rosters, and led by "a EuroLeauge level player", both beat teams consisting of 12 NBA starters? Does not add up at all, it simply does not compute, if the NBA is actually at the level this forum says it is, when compared to other leagues in the world.

All of those guys played in the NBA. They are by definition, NBA level players.

The USA and NBA have the best players. Basketball isn't just about a collection of players. It's a team game and chemistry matters. All those teams had far greater chemistry than the US.

The question you need to ask yourself is..how come none of those Euroleague stars were anything more than bench players in the NBA?
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Re: USA Teams With 12 NBA Players Have Lost 17 Times In FIBA Play Since 2002 

Post#76 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:15 pm

jinxed wrote:All of those guys played in the NBA. They are by definition, NBA level players.

The USA and NBA have the best players. Basketball isn't just about a collection of players. It's a team game and chemistry matters. All those teams had far greater chemistry than the US.

The question you need to ask yourself is..how come none of those Euroleague stars were anything more than bench players in the NBA?

I don't believe that Gianluca Basile ever played in the NBA. I don't remember him ever being in the NBA.

Also, a lot of NBA starters have gone to the EuroLeague and been terrible players. So ask yourself the question, why is that?
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,420

Post#77 » by scrabbarista » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:34 pm

I don't know whether non-Americans really understand how little Americans in general care about the FIBA World Cup. It's almost non-news. But for me personally, this loss still stings. I think I'm in a teeny, tiny, nerdy, hardcore minority, though. So yeah, personally, I'll take the L like one poster wanted. But I don't know whether this loss will get much notice, in general, in America. For example, I had no clue the US had lost eight FIBA games in the last seventeen years. Even after learning it, my reaction is kind of a shrug. I do wish Americans took the FIBA competitions more seriously, because as a fan I'd benefit - and because I think that pride in your country is a good thing (when it's based in a semblance of reality, of course). So, if any non-American feels the need to lord this over someone, I guess I'm your man. I mean, the way I see it, losing is still losing and it's still not as good as winning.
jinxed
Starter

Post#78 » by jinxed » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
jinxed wrote:All of those guys played in the NBA. They are by definition, NBA level players.

I don't believe that Gianluca Basile ever played in the NBA. I don't remember him ever being in the NBA.

Also, a lot of NBA starters have gone to the EuroLeague and been terrible players. So ask yourself the question, why is that?

Like who? At their prime? As in they could have been an NBA starter, but then went to Euroleague and sucked?

Are you talking about all the past Euroleague MVP's?

2019 - Jan Vesely - NBA washout
2018- Doncic -- 18 years old.
2017 - Sergio Llull-- very good player, wouldn't start in NBA. That's why he won't come over.
2016 - Nando De Colo - Role player in NBA.
2015 - Bjelica - role player in NBA
2014 - Sergio Rodriguez - role player
2013- Spanoulis - couldn't get off the bench.

Dude, I like the Euroleague. I watch it. It's a very good league. The NBA is still way better.

valrond1
Senior
And1: 513

Re: 12 NBA Players Team USA's 9 Losses In FIBA Play Since 2002 

Post#79 » by valrond1 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:15 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:I'm starting to get an Anti-American vibe from these threads. Every. Single. Loss. Is brought up and made into a thread this summer. I don't even know of anyone that's excited or watching the team this year. No one in America seems to care about Fiba. Only the Olympics. People get so excited after every loss. I haven't watched a second of a Team USA game and I know they lost at least 3 times and another time to a G-League squad in practice, just because of the amount of threads. I haven't seen a thread about a win though.

The only thing I cared about this Fiba Tournament was how Montenegro, Nigeria, and France was doing because of Nikola Vucevic, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Evan Fournier. That's it.

For some reason, 90% of this forum always puts the Olympics and FIBA as two separate things.......however, FIBA runs and controls the Olympics basketball. It's the same exact thing. The Olympics only has a say in where the tournament is held, and how many teams can play. FIBA controls everything else.

It really makes no sense why American NBA fans consider it to be separate things. It isn't, the Olympics basketball is part of FIBA, not a separate entity.

Understood. But clearly we in the US don't care about just the Fiba portion of it. We like the bigger spectacle of the Olympics much more. Not just fans, but the players. If that weren't true, LeBron, AD, KD, Curry, Leonard, etc, would all be out there during this. But no one in the US cares. It's cool to celebrate a teams wins, but these threads are clearly about celebrating the US losing.

You were saying?

https://basketball.realgm.com/national/teams/1/United-States/rosters/2006/2/FIBA-World-Cup

4 Forward Joe Johnson 1981 Atlanta Hawks
5 Guard Kirk Hinrich 1981 Chicago Bulls
6 Guard LeBron James 1984 Cleveland Cavaliers
7 Forward Antawn Jamison 1976 Washington Wizards
8 Forward Shane Battier 1978 Houston Rockets
9 Guard Dwyane Wade 1982 Miami Heat
10 Guard Chris Paul 1985 NO/OKC Hornets
11 Center Chris Bosh 1984 Toronto Raptors
12 Center Dwight Howard 1985 Orlando Magic
13 Center Brad Miller 1976 Sacramento Kings
14 Forward Elton Brand 1979 Los Angeles Clippers
15 Forward Carmelo Anthony 1984 Denver Nuggets
Sabas11
Senior
And1: 385

Post#80 » by Sabas11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:
The4thHorseman wrote:

I didn't even know the US was playing France and I've been cheering for and keeping tabs on Fournier as a Magic fan. He's been destroying the competition.

God.Family.Country.Basketball.

Return to The General Board