Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,115

Re: Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc) 

Post#81 » by Edrees » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Hopefully this doesn't price the current residents out of there. Someone posted that Inglewood passed rent control laws, how effective has that been in past examples of gentrification?

fianchetto wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
because when a filthy rich **** comes in and 'invests' in new housing in poor black communities, one of two things happen:

- either he's Donald Sterling and dude just turns into a slumlord

- or he's Steve Ballmer, who'll eventually price out the people that were and have been renting there

Apparently some people here have never heard of gentrification....

The same thing is going on here in Milwaukee. Tons of expensive lofts, apartments & “renovations” are being made near the new arena. It’s only matter of time before those people near the arena get priced out.

If you don't like gentrification, move to Russia.

If you think people should move out of the country just for having a different opinion than you, move to North Korea
TurinTurambar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,971

Re: Steve Ballmer to invest 100 million dollars into Inglewood as part of arena deal (affordable housing etc) 

Post#82 » by TurinTurambar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Forte IV wrote:Love people ignoring what I posted while continuing to assume things without actually asking the people of Inglewood their thoughts.

The overall problem with low income housing increasing is not the fact housing prices go up. It's that salaries don't.

I mean, good for the one or two Inglewood residents of Realgm that you talked to who are excited that they'll make a profit when they sell their property, I guess. That doesn't mean Clyde and others are wrong.

Maybe those people should think a little bit more about the circumstances that are leading to their good fortune, and what its going to do to countless others in the city they all call home.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#83 » by Forte IV » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:19 pm

TurinTurambar wrote:
Forte IV wrote:Love people ignoring what I posted while continuing to assume things without actually asking the people of Inglewood their thoughts.

The overall problem with low income housing increasing is not the fact housing prices go up. It's that salaries don't.

I mean, good for the one or two Inglewood residents of Realgm that you talked to who are excited that they'll make a profit when they sell their property, I guess. That doesn't mean Clyde and others are wrong.

Maybe those people should think a little bit more about the circumstances that are leading to their good fortune, and what its going to do to countless others in the city they all call home.

I wasn't referring to people of realgm when I was referring to people in Inglewood.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,548

Post#84 » by ken6199 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 pm

This is not a bad thread by any means. Let's be more respectful of both sides of the opinions. Less condescending, less "my way or no way", or we re-direct this thread over to the CA board. If you think you know it all, run for the president instead, don't waste time typing here.

Remember this: your name calling can ruin a perfectly fine thread with lot of great opinions chimed in by others. Don't deprive us of those.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
TurinTurambar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,971

Post#85 » by TurinTurambar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Forte IV wrote:
TurinTurambar wrote:

I wasn't referring to people of realgm when I was referring to people in Inglewood.

Oof! Sorry about that. I think it was ClipsFanSince98 who said something about talking to Inglewood homeowners here who were excited about their properties going up in value earlier in the thread.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#86 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:32 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:Balmer's a fun guy

seems like the LAC got more than one fun guy now :cry:
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#87 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:i mean literally a 12 page thread here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1531405

but sure go ahead keep on with whatever you're on, dog

Yeah because that's twelve pages about THIS specific investment and this update which is a new thread. But whatever, you just keep having bad reading comprehension skills. Or just keep up with the slants. Whichever it is. :roll:

"Johnny Bball wrote:
Not even a thread or mention on the clippers board, but of course an arena investment needs its own entire thread on the general board."

thread or mention

thread or mention

thread or mention

lol.

It astounds me that you're accusing someone of bad reading comprehension. It's like you didn't even read your own post. The thread is there and the mention is there, right in the thread. Like oh, wow a huge thread about ballmer's arena in inglewood, i wonder what that could be about? Anyone with common sense would clearly realize there's some info about all this in there.

But rather than actually click on it or use some basic logic and infer that this info is in the thread, you decided to make something up and spout nonsense. Honestly, just admit you wanted to jump on the bandwagon about too many clipper threads. You looked over the thread titles, decided it was easier to just make some crap up and clicked back to the GB and started your post.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#88 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:12 pm

If this was a Donald Sterling press release, I'd have very little confidence that the funding/investing would benefit the current residents of Inglewood more than it would benefit Donald Sterling. But it's Steve Ballmer, I think we're going to have to see how it turns out (or more details are revealed) before we can draw any judgments.

I was not a fan of Ballmer or Bill Gates back when they were running Microsoft. But Bill Gates has basically devoted the rest of his life to philanthropy, and Ballmer has at the very least been a very passionate and enthusiastic team owner since buying the Clippers. Buying the Clippers was more about basketball than money for Ballmer (not that it was an act of charity), and hopefully this project is more about the city than it is about the money.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#89 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:14 pm

nickhx2 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:i mean literally a 12 page thread here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1531405

but sure go ahead keep on with whatever you're on, dog

Yeah because that's twelve pages about THIS specific investment and this update which is a new thread. But whatever, you just keep having bad reading comprehension skills. Or just keep up with the slants. Whichever it is. :roll:

"Johnny Bball wrote:
Not even a thread or mention on the clippers board, but of course an arena investment needs its own entire thread on the general board."

thread or mention

thread or mention

thread or mention

lol.

It astounds me that you're accusing someone of bad reading comprehension. It's like you didn't even read your own post. The thread is there and the mention is there, right in the thread. Like oh, wow a huge thread about ballmer's arena in inglewood, i wonder what that could be about? Anyone with common sense would clearly realize there's some info about all this in there.

But rather than actually click on it or use some basic logic and infer that this info is in the thread, you decided to make something up and spout nonsense. Honestly, just admit you wanted to jump on the bandwagon about too many clipper threads. You looked over the thread titles, decided it was easier to just make some crap up and clicked back to the GB and started your post.

Whatever clipsfan. The point was that any previous thread could have been used and it didn't need a new one. You can get hung up on only one person posting about it in that thread by that time, like it matters. Where it's all one thread. Like I said, you didn't get my point from the start. So you stay hung up on one post. And I really don't care and am exhausted with the propaganda. Do we need a new thread on the general board for every arena update? Only one guy seemed to even care enough on the clips board, and it isn't OP. And since I really don't care for your ****, this will be the last time I read one of your posts.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#90 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:17 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:If this was a Donald Sterling press release, I'd have very little confidence that the funding/investing would benefit the current residents of Inglewood more than it would benefit Donald Sterling. But it's Steve Ballmer, I think we're going to have to see how it turns out (or more details are revealed) before we can draw any judgments.

I was not a fan of Ballmer or Bill Gates back when they were running Microsoft. But Bill Gates has basically devoted the rest of his life to philanthropy, and Ballmer has at the very least been a very passionate and enthusiastic team owner since buying the Clippers. Buying the Clippers was more about basketball than money for Ballmer (not that it was an act of charity), and hopefully this project is more about the city than it is about the money.

by 'philanthropy' you mean running population control tests on Africans? the same guy who said he wants to stop immigration from Africa to Europe?

that guy?
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#91 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:21 pm

clyde21 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:If this was a Donald Sterling press release, I'd have very little confidence that the funding/investing would benefit the current residents of Inglewood more than it would benefit Donald Sterling. But it's Steve Ballmer, I think we're going to have to see how it turns out (or more details are revealed) before we can draw any judgments.

by 'philanthropy' you mean running population control tests on Africans? the same guy who said he wants to stop immigration from Africa to Europe?

that guy?

Well, I guess I have some research to do...if you have any links for me to start with I would love to see them.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,427

Post#92 » by Jcity08 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

that guy?

Well, I guess I have some research to do...if you have any links for me to start with I would love to see them.

https://c-fam.org/friday_fax/bill-gates-thinks-many-africanscalls-population-control/

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#93 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

that guy?

Bill Gates Thinks There are Too Many Africans/Calls for Population Control

https://c-fam.org/friday_fax/bill-gates-thinks-many-africanscalls-population-control/

this is literally what he and wife are doing in Africa...literally trying to stop Africans from having babies and calling it philanthropy.

here he is warning about immigration from African into Europe:

Bill Gates warns that Germany's open door policy to migrants will overwhelm Europe and urges leaders to 'make it more difficult for Africans to reach the continent via current routes'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4665198/Bill-Gates-warns-open-door-migration-overwhelm-Europe.html

can we stop pretending these people are good people?
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,528

Post#94 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:28 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:Crazy that the national debt spends more than a 100 million per day JUST ON INTEREST.

I would rather be solving problems every day with the money wasted on interest. Glad Balmer is moving the team and investing in that community.

Who did they borrow money from in order to occur such a ridiculous high interest rate, and why is that interest rate so high ??

In Raptor Ball I Trust
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#95 » by G35 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 pm

levon wrote:
itrsteve wrote:When you get to a certain level of wealth, philanthropy becomes the new pissing contest.

Glad he’s putting it back in the community. Can’t fault him on any account.

levon wrote:Inglewood:

Would love to see the numbers 20 years from now after this "investment".

Let’s suppose you’re right and it turns into a ultra-yuppie neighborhood. You’ll likely have a few generations kids off on a good foot and parents that aren’t forced to make bad decisions for the sake of survival. There’s a impact to starting off on the right foot which can have lasting effects for generations.

I'm not faulting him, I'm just very skeptical of any and all construction even if it's packaged as helping housing/the community. I've witnessed the effects of "affordable housing" firsthand in the bay area, where it's regularly packaged in to the local legislature as bills supposedly aiding the housing crisis, when in reality it's just generating hundreds of millions of dollars for tycoons and skyrocketing rent. The fact that it's tied to the construction of a giant entertainment complex certainly doesn't help my skepticism.

Those generations will be "getting off on the right foot" at the expense of the displaced folk indigenous to that community, who will then dip into the poverty line because they can't keep up with rent.

Damned if you do

Damned if you don't......
I'm so tired of the typical......
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#96 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
LakersLegacy wrote:Crazy that the national debt spends more than a 100 million per day JUST ON INTEREST.

I would rather be solving problems every day with the money wasted on interest. Glad Balmer is moving the team and investing in that community.

Who did they borrow money from in order to occur such a ridiculous high interest rate, and why is that interest rate so high ??

Its not, it's that the principal amount is so high (and growing.)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#97 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:16 pm

some people need to read some Anand on this topic.

“Profitable companies built in questionable ways and employing reckless means engage in corporate social responsibility, and some rich people make a splash by “giving back”—regardless of the fact that they may have caused serious societal problems as they built their fortunes.”

“Elite networking forums like the Aspen Institute and the Clinton Global Initiative groom the rich to be self-appointed leaders of social change, taking on the problems people like them have been instrumental in creating or sustaining.”

“Yet we are left with the inescapable fact that in the very era in which these elites have done so much to help, they have continued to hoard the overwhelming share of progress, the average American’s life has scarcely improved, and virtually all of the nation’s institutions, with the exception of the military, have lost the public’s trust.”
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,124

Post#98 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:37 pm

karkinos wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
fianchetto wrote:
I don't get your comment... are all black people poor? And what are you trying to say about Ballmer? honestly just don't get it

because when a filthy rich **** comes in and 'invests' in new housing in poor black communities, one of two things happen:

- either he's Donald Sterling and dude just turns into a slumlord

- or he's Steve Ballmer, who'll eventually price out the people that were and have been renting there

well technically how would you propose investing into properties and upgrade them but then charge people the same rent? sounds like a bad business plan.

'bad business' is sometimes 'good for society.' what's good for a few landlords is often at odds with what's good for a community. but you do make a good point: this is how development is done, via the private sector, and done to serve the investors rather than the community. in the case of inglewood, the inversion toward YUP has already begun. YUPs still want to live in LA en masse, and santa monica, venice, playa del rey, culver city etc have already 'come up' and inglewood/hawthorne/gardena is next. even beyond that, homes in compton are selling for 600k. LA is basically unaffordable to most normal people, good thing there's san bernadino!
fianchetto
Starter
And1: 2,997

Post#99 » by fianchetto » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:38 pm

Edrees wrote:Hopefully this doesn't price the current residents out of there. Someone posted that Inglewood passed rent control laws, how effective has that been in past examples of gentrification?

fianchetto wrote:
Antinomy wrote:
Apparently some people here have never heard of gentrification....

The same thing is going on here in Milwaukee. Tons of expensive lofts, apartments & “renovations” are being made near the new arena. It’s only matter of time before those people near the arena get priced out.

If you don't like gentrification, move to Russia.

If you think people should move out of the country just for having a different opinion than you, move to North Korea

Come on... it was sarcastic. In Russia they’ll just kick you out of your house. I don’t think I stated any opinion about gentrification at all, so why assume.

I hear North Korea is nice in the summer. We have it so bad guys.
“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,612

Post#100 » by DimesandKnicks » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:43 pm

Which would like...make low income housing increasing like...a bad thing.

Return to The General Board