Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

wutevahung
Pro Prospect
And1: 665

Re: Tomas Satoransky States The Truth About The NBA And Its Reffing Agenda 

Post#41 » by wutevahung » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:55 pm

I am not knowledgable enough about other sports so hopefully someone knows here. do other sports like soccer, tennis, baseball, ping pong and etc also have this problem with differences in rules and officiating with the popular league and international play?
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#42 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 pm

wutevahung wrote:I am not knowledgable enough about other sports so hopefully someone knows here. do other sports like soccer, tennis, baseball, ping pong and etc also have this problem with differences in rules and officiating with the popular league and international play?

Not that I can think of. I think it's just something the NBA has come up with.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#43 » by asdfgh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Giannis shouldn't have fouled out. That was a terrible call by the refs.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,161

Post#44 » by Pelon chingon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 pm

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#45 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Lol at the use of the " for stars. You're going to have to get over the fact that Giannis is one of the best players in the WORLD, maybe the best. With or without superstar calls.

He sure wasn't anything remotely approaching the best player at the 2019 FIBA World Cup, without those superstar calls.

That’s not true. He was clearly one of the best in FIBA. Unless you want to tell me Patty Mills was better because he scored more points
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#46 » by Showdown » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:27 pm

So their president isn't only Czech talking **** today
Zaschrona
Sixth Man
And1: 1,324

Post#47 » by Zaschrona » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:43 pm

Yeah, he is right. NBA is a soft league that awards free throws for moves that would be offensive fouls here in Europe.
Coach Carter
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Post#48 » by Coach Carter » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:35 pm

When a call is 50-50 you don't disadvantage one of the two sides by omitting a key player. I couldn't care less about fiba but that Raptors series, game 3, giannis was keeping his team alive at least on the defensive end. Kawhi did what he did only after giannis was no longer in the game.
In reference to our title winning year
Coach Carter wrote:This year is a wash and most of us know it.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#49 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 pm

raptor jesus wrote:NBA officiating does have some annoying quirks - superstar calls, swallowing whistles down the stretch, etc. But when you watch other basketball - NCAA, FIBA - you realize how good they are, relatively speaking.

relatively speaking to amateurs. because ncaa is amateur and FIBA has 3rd hand officials. you wanna watch real reffing watch euroleague
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#50 » by TheFinishSniper » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:As Satoransky said, in EuroLeague that's either a no call, or they probably call the offensive foul. They don't allow offensive players to recklessly drive into the defender, and then lower their shoulder. The defender being in position or not is secondary to that.

That's the difference, NBA rules are geared to make it an offensive league, favoring the offense, and favoring the "stars", since that type of rule interpretation will benefit them.

Now we have the forum judging FIBA calls, based on how NBA refs interpret them.

that means lebron james is a scrub by euroleague or euro refs definition. because he made career out of lowering his shoulder on his drives. Love european basketball
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#51 » by clyde21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:00 pm

superstar calls are a thing, but let's get one thing straight Tomas...ain't no one ever said 'i wanna go watch Tomas Satoransky play basketball'...they come to watch Giannis, not you.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#52 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:29 pm

the thing i hate most about the nba. Lebron, now Giannis, can just put shoulder down, plow through the defense like walter payton, get 2 pts and a free throw.

Gordon Hayward who is also very strong does it, and is an offensive foul every single time. Even if the defender is moving or not set, the offensive guy can't just clear him out with forearm or shoulder.

That call was iffy still, but I would be a happy man if players weren't rewarded for looking like a roided up muscle builder plowing into defenders and were instead rewarded for more skill.

Probably my only real problem with officials and refs over the last 10 years.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,077

Post#53 » by axeman23 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:superstar calls are a thing, but let's get one thing straight Tomas...ain't no one ever said 'i wanna go watch Tomas Satoransky play basketball'...they come to watch Giannis, not you.

After watching Satoransky vs the Boomers, maybe people SHOULD watch more of him. He had a huge game, and kept the Czechs in it most of the way. He certainly opened my eyes to how good of a player he is...
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,677

Post#54 » by homecourtloss » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:55 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Cool, give him the Bucks roster in the tournament and lets see how he does. Not the bums he had to play with.

The Bucks players on Team USA didn't fare that well in the tournament either. Looks like the Bucks best players just aren't that great without NBA rules and reffing.

So, even money for all teams, you wouldn’t pick the Bucks’ playoff roster (minus Ilyasova and Mirotic if you want—find similar level replacements for them) to win the FIBA WC? If so, it’s delusional because that team would absolutely dominate.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#55 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:57 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Cool, give him the Bucks roster in the tournament and lets see how he does. Not the bums he had to play with.

The Bucks players on Team USA didn't fare that well in the tournament either. Looks like the Bucks best players just aren't that great without NBA rules and reffing.

So, even money for all teams, you wouldn’t pick the Bucks’ playoff roster (minus Ilyasova and Mirotic if you want—find similar level replacements for them) to win the FIBA WC? If so, it’s delusional because that team would absolutely dominate.

That team wouldn't win any medal as long as it based around Giannis. Giannis is almost useless in FIBA competitions in the half court against a set defense.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,811

Post#56 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:02 am

so_bored wrote:People need to realize NBA is no longer a genuine sport. It's an entertainment show now. There are simply too much money involved now from both league and players perspective to change that. It's really unfortunate, but it is what it is.

If you think favouritism only started recently, you're wrong. The 'star' treatment has been going on for decades.

What Tomas said is not a revelation, but a simple fact. Once the league realised to sell the product, it had to sell it's players, that's when they began to start giving the star players favorable treatment because fans would come out to see the specific stars play.
Why so serious?
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,811

Post#57 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:04 am

clyde21 wrote:superstar calls are a thing, but let's get one thing straight Tomas...ain't no one ever said 'i wanna go watch Tomas Satoransky play basketball'...they come to watch Giannis, not you.

That is essentially the point he was making. The NBA is a star driven league, so they are going to give the star players favorable treatment, because as you said, fans don't come out to watch the average players.
Why so serious?
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#58 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:07 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

That team wouldn't win any medal as long as it based around Giannis. Giannis is almost useless in FIBA competitions in the half court against a set defense.

Gobert was BY FAR the biggest reason France beat the US... And you say Giannis is almost "useless"? How does that work?
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
balrog27
Sophomore
And1: 149

Post#59 » by balrog27 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:17 am

lol, honestly I think ya'll are spoiled, there are plenty of **** officiating not in the NBA, might actually be worse.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#60 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:24 am

I don't like when the player initiates contact and that's the only contact and yet the initiator gets award the FT

In Raptor Ball I Trust

Return to The General Board