ImageImageImage

OT: Remembrance of September 11, 2001

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,806

OT: Remembrance of September 11, 2001 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:12 pm

September 11, 2001

I had just walked into the cafeteria, at my school. A Curious event. A plane had flown into the World Trade Center, in New York City. As I watched, a second plane, flew into the other tower!!!

The reporter was so shocked, that he swore on live television. “Oh Sh**!!!”

That picture keep going through my freaked out mind. I didn’t have time to figure it out though. Because within 15 mins, an alarm sounded. "EVACUATION!!!"

They said, that it was a “Terrorist” attack. Never heard that before. Not on U.S. soil. -- Yet, All the municipal buildings in Boston were evacuated.

I took the Commuter Rail, to go see my family. It was normally a one hour ride. – This day though, it took hours longer. The train keep stopping . . . waiting.

I had one of those handheld tv’s, back then, before the frequencies were changed. I was shocked at what I heard. We all were.

I think that I got a couple of hours of sleep that night.

The next day, I picked my 6-year old up from his Mother's house. I asked him, “Do you know what Happened?”

He replied, with his hands held out, “How could I Not know???”

A 6-year old.

Nowadays, the Statue of Liberty is dwarfed by one of the Tallest buildings in World. One World Trade Center, aka the "Freedom Tower". – Which stands at a symbolic height, of 1776 feet.

FREEDOM.

It’s a BIG thing . . .

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: OT: Remembrance of September 11, 2001 

Post#2 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:44 pm

i was a sophomore in high school...i still remember talking to the girl who i was dating at the time and where i was. my class immediately after that the teacher put the news on the television and was told my one of the principles to turn it off due to the serious nature of it and how living somewhat close to nyc there could be student's parents involved or other loved ones.

crazy to think it has been 18 years already. time flies. it is something that can't be forgotten.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#3 » by greenroom31 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:45 pm

I was in Boston after graduating from college and had recently broken up with a former girlfriend who lived in NY with her Dad working near the towers. I called her to check on her. Couldn't believe it was happening in the moment and still feels a bit surreal.

Here are a couple of stories of heroes from that day:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2002/02/11/the-real-heroes-are-dead

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=11505494&sf219232012=1
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,674

Post#4 » by Tatumfor2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:31 am

I woke up in my apartment in Queens to a message from my mom saying she thought she heard something about a plane hitting the WTC. I flipped on the news, by then they had both fallen, and ran to my rooftop to see for my own eyes two towers of smoke. No calls were coming in or out of the city by then, so we couldn't let people know we were ok.

Bomb scares were shutting down buildings left and right during the following week. The restaurant/bar I worked at would be packed all day with people drowning in margaritas. It was a scary time. My wife and I left the city a year later. We didn't leave entirely because of 9/11, but it played a part in the decision. I try to remember that some people live with that fear all the time. My heart breaks for them and all the people who lost loved ones.
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#5 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 am

I was living in Calgary at the time. Sleeping on my day off. Girlfriend calls to tell me that "New York is under attack!!". Flip on the TV just as the first tower falls. For the rest of the morning, I'm watching CNN in shock. My buddy calls me up a few hours later asking if I want to do something. Turns out he's got some free time on his hands because his whole building got evacuated. He was working in the Petro Canada building, which at that time, was the tallest building in Calgary. They were terrified that this was going to happen here too.

We go to the mall. Half of the stores are closed because apparently, we were also afraid that a plane was going to come crashing there too. Scooped up the Blueprint, which IMO, is still Jay-Z's best album. Smoked a ton of weed that day zoning out to the album, and then watching more CNN. Still seems unreal to me. Absolutely hated the fact that Bush used it as an excuse to invade Iraq. Did love the fact that Bin Laden was eventually killed though.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#6 » by return2glory » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 am

It’s hard to believe it’s been 18 years. It’s something that’s hard to ever forget as far as where you were when it happened.

My thoughts are with the families their loved ones and to everyone that helped save lives that day. Especially to the NYFD. Some of those firefighters still have health issues today from all day.

It’s still tough to imagine those people that were caught on the floors and their only hope was to jump out of the windows from near the top of the building.

Also, Osama Bin Laden was never captured by US military. He was murdered years before what the US claimed. And US military had nothing to do with his murder. But that’s a whole other topic in itself.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#7 » by Green89 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:01 am

A remembrance day for sure, for the deceased, the heroes, and the family and friends of all affected, and anyone still affected/injured.

On that morning, I was getting my car inspected and the mechanics in the garage were talking about it after hearing the radio news. At the time, it was just the one plane and everyone was thinking freak accident. I then went into a nearby hospital and as I walked by the main waiting area, I saw about 20 people all with their heads glued to the television that was high in the upper corner of the waiting room. I knew it was bad and saw another plane had hit the second tower.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#8 » by jfs1000d » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Crazy how much that day changed the world.

We have been in a state of emergency for 18 years.

Add in the Afghan and Iraq wars, Both which still require troops, and it’s been about as consequential event In American history as Pearl Harbor.

To think, there are seniors in high school who weren’t born when this happened.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#9 » by canman1971 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:38 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Crazy how much that day changed the world.

We have been in a state of emergency for 18 years.

Add in the Afghan and Iraq wars, Both which still require troops, and it’s been about as consequential event In American history as Pearl Harbor.

To think, there are seniors in high school who weren’t born when this happened.

9/11 is the reason why I went back to school to become a social studies teacher. I teach a unit every semester about it and last year was the first year all my students weren't born yet. This year, even moreso. Crazy how time goes by.

Return to Boston Celtics