Who is to be blamed for USA failure in FIBA world cup?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who is to be blamed for USA failure in FIBA world cup?

Coaching stuff being outcoached
11%
Players playing ISO ball
15%
Superstars refusing to represent their own country
40%
No one. They're just not good enough
16%
No one cares about FIBA world cup
18%

Total votes: 597

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,072

Re: Who is to be blamed for USA failure in FIBA world cup? 

Post#281 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:19 am

I honestly think the NBA has a problem with home-grown next generation talent. The number of top 5 picks who haven't panned out has been too high since AD was drafted.

Guys like Porzingis, Donic, Joker, Gorbert, and Giannis came from outside the college system and the country. Even Embiid, who played a year of college ball, came from outside the U.S. Those are the biggest young names in the game.

Mitchell and Tatum are nice young players but that's not enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#282 » by Bayside » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:23 am

Competition is too good now to run team USA like its going to be a push over. Some of these teams play together consecutive tournaments. I bet they take it as a slight that team USA treats it like its a pickup game and they bring it. World Tournaments are great. And unfortunately USA doesn't really get into the vibe of them... With the exception of Olympics. Shame really. Missing the point of being international "world" citizens. Love world cup events..Good times. Way to go France. Well played.
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#283 » by DeRoma » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 am

Why isn't there a choice on kyrie on the poll?
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,297

Post#284 » by Side beard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:38 am

I can not believe superstar choice is leading the poll. Did USA really need Lebron and Curry to win a game against France? Or a better coach with better rotations and player choices for the team?
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,249

Post#285 » by Nuntius » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:54 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
Yall kill me with this KAT is from DR ****

Meh, formally I'm right

KAT isn't from DR, he plays for them but that dude is from New Jersey :lol:

He can't even speak Spanish. I agree that a lot of the young elite talent is from outside the US though, the biggest problem for the US moving forward is the lack of quality centers coming from here.

The main point, though, is that KAT can't compete for team USA since he has already represented the DR. So, he isn't available for your NT which is what this thread is about.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,324

Post#286 » by Bolivar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:14 am

Side beard wrote:I can not believe superstar choice is leading the poll. Did USA really need Lebron and Curry to win a game against France? Or a better coach with better rotations and player choices for the team?

You can't just show up with a team of borderline stars and Celtics players and expect them to win. You can't do it in the NBA and you can't do it in FIBA either (these days for sure). "Curry and LeBron" is obviously a bit over the top but the team needed someone (anyone) with superstar mentality who can pull it off.

Of course, it's not like they were overly far away. There's no dominant team in the world cup and USA could have won it too, with little things going their way.
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,385

Post#287 » by TheNG » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:25 am

It looks like if they took their players just from two NBA teams (even not the best ones(, they could have played better together.
Maybe they should change the rules so both teams arrive to the finals must provide all their players to the US national team :D
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#288 » by DavidDunn21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:37 am

Khris Middleton.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#289 » by Spens1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:09 am

LofJ wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:13 Draft - best player Giannis, Greece
14 Draft - best player Embiid, Cameroon
15 Draft - best player KAT, Dominican Republic
16 Draft - best player Simmons, Australia
17 Draft - best player Mitchell
18 Draft - best player Doncic, Slovenia

Not a lot of top level talent from US in recent years

KAT didn't even visit the DR for the first time until he was 17 years old. Someone on Team USA needs to convince him to represent the country he was born and raised in.

He'd be a second or third string centre on team U.S.A if everyone actually turns up though.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,793

Post#290 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:17 am

jbk1234 wrote:I honestly think the NBA has a problem with home-grown next generation talent. The number of top 5 picks who haven't panned out has been too high since AD was drafted.

Guys like Porzingis, Donic, Joker, Gorbert, and Giannis came from outside the college system and the country. Even Embiid, who played a year of college ball, came from outside the U.S. Those are the biggest young names in the game.

Mitchell and Tatum are nice young players but that's not enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Draft classes from 2013 through 2017 were pretty bad overall
:reporter:
Spens1
RealGM

Post#291 » by Spens1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:33 am

Pennebaker wrote:Superstars do not refuse to represent their country. They do so with much enthusiasm and honor at the Olympics.

The issue is that basketball is trying to mimic soccer but nobody cares about a FIBA world cup and you cant force anyone to care just because you've created it.

The only country that has had multiple superstars drop out is the U.S, everyone else has had most of their teams come out (and the only one from an international team that i can tell that dropped off was Simmons for Australia and he got crucified for it as well).
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#292 » by JN61 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 am

Arrogance.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#293 » by andyhop » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 am

In pretty much every other country it is a massive honour to play for your national team, in the US its a marketing opportunity for players to play for the national team but only in the Olympics because that is the only time that there is an audience in the US
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Spens1
RealGM

Re: This is Kyrie's fault Team USA lost to France 

Post#294 » by Spens1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 am

reload141 wrote:It’s raining in Melbourne, Australia atm.

It’s Kyries fault.

What a fault he is. The faultiest fault alive.

If Patty Mills is any indication. Kyrie made the mistake of his life not playing for the boomers, could you imagine him playing in this australian system, he'd be an absolute god averaging about 35-40 per game.
BIG FURB
Sixth Man
And1: 134

Post#295 » by BIG FURB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:27 am

Archx wrote:Coaching staff made a lot of bad decisions. This team still had enough talent to get into the finals but something just wasn't clicking. Having only 1 true playmaker on the team was also risky as hell.

Also Americans not being used to FIBA style of rules or defense, made life harder for them. But like i said, their tactics and poor sub patterns are mostly the reason why they lost. Barnes playing hero ball and messing up everything ( just like in Dallas ), having small guys guarding Gobert also didn't make any sense. Kemba playing bad and no real replacement for him, etc.

The guy only took 3 shots, one of them being a pretty big 3 in the 4th before things got out of hand. He even had 4 assists this game. I’m not seeing the hero ball you’re speaking of. Kemba’s outstanding defense on a very hot Mitchell in the 4th was a major factor
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,643

Post#296 » by PlatinumState » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:44 am

I watched every USA game in this fiba world cup and the thing I've noticed in every game is the players seemed uninterested for long stretches. They just didnt care enough. Lack of motivation. Also Im sure they came in every game with the "this is gonna be easy" mentality
trending
Junior
And1: 238

Post#297 » by trending » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 am

Spens1 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:Superstars do not refuse to represent their country. They do so with much enthusiasm and honor at the Olympics.

The issue is that basketball is trying to mimic soccer but nobody cares about a FIBA world cup and you cant force anyone to care just because you've created it.

The only country that has had multiple superstars drop out is the U.S, everyone else has had most of their teams come out (and the only one from an international team that i can tell that dropped off was Simmons for Australia and he got crucified for it as well).

are you joking? what about canada !!
which ones will you take ?
rj barrett, wiggins, jamaal murray, powell, trey lyles, c.joseph, shai, tristan thompson, stauskas, ennis, nicholson, olynyk, dillin brooks, boucher, etc.

and all they get is khem birch and joseph. and they still matched up well with australia (who are missing only 1 major nba player).
theedgeam.com every saturday night
the inventor of bball was born in canada and the inventor of the phone is buried in canada
i'm also from canada
trending
Junior
And1: 238

Re: This is Kyrie's fault Team USA lost to France 

Post#298 » by trending » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 am

Spens1 wrote:
reload141 wrote:It’s raining in Melbourne, Australia atm.

It’s Kyries fault.

What a fault he is. The faultiest fault alive.

If Patty Mills is any indication. Kyrie made the mistake of his life not playing for the boomers, could you imagine him playing in this australian system, he'd be an absolute god averaging about 35-40 per game.

he moved to the USA when he was 2. steve nash is more south african than he is australian.
theedgeam.com every saturday night
the inventor of bball was born in canada and the inventor of the phone is buried in canada
i'm also from canada
BIG FURB
Sixth Man
And1: 134

Post#299 » by BIG FURB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:03 am

Archx wrote:
codydaze wrote:
Archx wrote:
Whatever, watch the entire tournament, cba go into details from every game.

Not counting Tatum since he only played in two games, Barnes was 3rd in PPG, 4th in Player Efficiency, 3rd in +/-, 1st in SPG, T-4th in RPG, had the third most FT attempts with the highest % of the top 3.

Yeah that's cool, but still, i'm not sure you realize how bad his stats are for FIBA play. He almost played top minutes for the US team and was one of the main guys Pop relied on, yet he had a total of 6 assists, 4 of which (by some miracle) came against France. Still, that doesn't erase the fact that he botched one of the most crucial possessions. You could argue that that's on coach, who put Barnes on Gobert for some reason, but that's another story.
Anyway, for a guy who is being paid almost superstar money, we sure can expect more. Same obviously goes for Middleton or Kemba, etc..

Barnes was actually posting up someone else that play and Gobert came over and provided timely help defense, but ok. I’m starting to see what Boogietime was talking about when he made that thread about the weird Barnes hare around here. As codydaze showed, Barnes was pretty damn solid the entire tournament
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#300 » by mixerball » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:11 am

Nate505 wrote:
mixerball wrote:
Nate505 wrote:It is relevant though. The US is far and away the best basketball country in the world, both currently and historically. The tournament they value does matter for the prestige of it. If Germany, Brazil, Argentina, and France stopped sending their best players to the World Cup, the prestige of that tournament would go down as well.

no its not. the world would keep playing basketball and they woudl still compete and people would still watch. dont think if the us doesnt care about a thing that the rest of the world is the same.
like this WC for example. US obviously doesnt care as you can see by their roster. does it seem like the rest of the world doesnt care as well? no, they want to win no matter who stands oppose to them.

i presume you were talking about football WC? right... wc, not olympics.

Sure the world would keep playing it. And without the most relevant country in terms of basketball the prestige of the tournament means less.

In soccer the WC is the premier international tournament. It means something. It would mean a lot less if European teams focused on the Euro Cup and sent B teams to the World Cup.

the world would keep playing with the same passion(no prestige lost) with US present or not. it only means less in your head. can you be more arrogant with this narrative... "i dont care about the world cup(but thats only me, all the others care) and with me being there with b team, there is no prestige present."

european soccer teams are focused on euro cup and world cup the same. dont project your attitude towards everyone. if one(1) country(even if that would be brazil for example) didnt care about the world cup and sent b team to play world cup, thats their loss. the others would still care. the cup wouldnt lose any prestige and others would fight like dogs to get it. see how this looks.
just because you, american, dont see it, doesnt means its not there.

Return to The General Board