Wolves-Knicks-Blazers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Wolves-Knicks-Blazers 

Post#1 » by Mykhyn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Wolves out: Covington + Dieng
Wolves in: DSJ + Nassir Little + Marcus Morris

Knicks out: DSJ + Marcus Morris + Bobby Portis
Knicks in: Simons + Whiteside + +Blazers 2020 top 20 protected 1st(then 2 2nds) + Dieng

Blazers out: Simons + Little + Whiteside + 2020 top 20 protected 1st(then 2 2nds)
Blazers in: Covington + Bobby Portis

Wolves get a couple promising prospects and a stop gap for Covington. This gets them younger while keeping them competitive and cuts a year off Dieng

Knicks get a better prospect and a potential 1st for DSJ and guys they signed to trade.

Blazers go for it now assuming Nurkic comes back. Dame/Cj/Covington/Collins/Nurkic with Bazemore/Hood/Portis/Gasol off the bench gives them a great playoff lineup.

Who says no?
Tornelyus
Sophomore
And1: 83

Re: Wolves-Knicks-Blazers 

Post#2 » by Tornelyus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Where Dieng goes?
Mykhyn
General Manager

Post#3 » by Mykhyn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Tornelyus wrote:Where Dieng goes?

China

I mean the knicks

oops
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:53 pm

No from this Blazer fan. I would like Covington on the Blazers( Portis is a mediocre PF and little more than filler). This costs the Blazers to what essentially amounts to 3 first round picks(Simons, Little and the first) and their starting center. Simons is especially well liked as a prospect by Blazer fans and I don't see him being traded without it being an absolute winner of a deal. My counter offer would be Little, lottery protected first and salary filler as needed
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
SmokeyPaw
Starter
And1: 1,163

Post#5 » by SmokeyPaw » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Pass from Wolves. Yes the wolves need a point going forward so credit to the OP for thay. But lack confidence that DSJ is that guy. Rather see what's available in 2020 draft and keep Covington.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#6 » by Rockazoids » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 pm

OP should know this suck for the Knicks. Hell they need a 1st just for taking on Dieng last year a about $17.2 M. Also
why would NY want Whiteside & Dieng taking minutes from Robinson?
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
Mykhyn
General Manager

Post#7 » by Mykhyn » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:44 pm

Rockazoids wrote:OP should know this suck for the Knicks. Hell they need a 1st just for taking on Dieng last year a about $17.2 M. Also

Buyouts and the bench exist.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#8 » by Rockazoids » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
Rockazoids wrote:OP should know this suck for the Knicks. Hell they need a 1st just for taking on Dieng last year a about $17.2 M. Also

So your saying they should pay $17.2 M for a top 20 protected 1st or 2 2nd picks just to get some 6'3 SG?
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#9 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:26 am

Rockazoids wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:

So your saying they should pay $17.2 M for a top 20 protected 1st or 2 2nd picks just to get some 6'3 SG?

Couple things:

1. Taking on 15-20 million has been the going rate for FRP's in the 20's the past several years and historically keeps going upwards. Whiteside is more useful than many players dumped with picks. Although I will note usually the per-year hit is less than 15-20 which makes a difference and gives New York some leverage. Edit: I was going off your number, it looks to me like the Knicks are taking on over 32 million - 15 this year and 17 next. So yeah, ignore the above they definitely deserve more than a pick for that.

2. There is a pretty big delta between how the Blazers value Simons and how the rest of the league may value him. We value him so much that our GM literally has him as the ONLY guard off the bench. Yeah, I don't expect other teams to value him that much but we do, which is why this trade is a no for the Blazers.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,962

Post#10 » by Domejandro » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:59 am

Cut out New York, and I'd be willing to talk.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#11 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Three first round picks and a useful player w/ a giant expiring is a big cost for Covington. A cost I wouldn't pay.

Even if I would, the deal is DOA as it would leave Portland with someone off the junk heap like Lin as our backup PG.

Simons is one of those classic guys that is worth way more to PDX than any other team. He is being handed a ton of responsibility as a sophomore w/o and college experience, and the FO is tremendously supportive and confident in him. I don't see any real way he gets traded.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#12 » by shrink » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:08 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Three first round picks and a useful player w/ a giant expiring is a big cost for Covington. A cost I wouldn't pay.

Even if I would, the deal is DOA as it would leave Portland with someone off the junk heap like Lin as our backup PG.

Simons is one of those classic guys that is worth way more to PDX than any other team. He is being handed a ton of responsibility as a sophomore w/o and college experience, and the FO is tremendously supportive and confident in him. I don't see any real way he gets traded.

I can understand this position, but this is Simons, the 2019 25th pick, and a Top 20 protected 2020. With Covington filling their one gaping hole at SF, I’d imagine this makes POR a true contender, and the pick even later in the 20’s. Whiteside may be your starter and an expiring, but at $27 mil, he is not an asset.

I truly doubt that MIN is going to trade Covington this season. He’s KAT’s buddy, and he single-handedly made them a good defensive team when he played. His skill set is a perfect compliment to what the team needs. However, with several teams in the West that are one SF away from a chance at the Finals, it is possible that one would go for it, and make a bid that forced MIN to trade him. I like Simons just fine, but if this was the offer, I think any rational GM would talk to DEN, UTA, LAL, GSW, HOU etc, and say, “We are considering trading Covington to your rival POR. Do you want to beat this offer?” There are simply too few SF’s in the NBA to go around to all the teams that consider themselves contending this year.

EDIT: If your concerns about your starting center (until Nurkic returns) and back up PG are a bigger deal to you than your starting SF, then I imagine a Wolves package could include Shabazz Napier with Covington and Dieng for Whiteside plus “incentive.” We could debate the incentive. Whiteside would need to be routed to a third team, since his attitude and limited minutes behind KAT would make for a bad locker room situation - something MIN will do everything to avoid after Jimmy Butler.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
expatbayern
Senior
And1: 213

Post#13 » by expatbayern » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Domejandro wrote:Cut out New York, and I'd be willing to talk.

Yeah, if PDX absorb Dieng instead of sending him to NYK and then get to hold onto Simons, I think there's a viable deal there.

Whiteside, Little, and the 1st for Covington and Dieng?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#14 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:03 pm

This deal I would do. I value Simons more than Little + 2020 FRP. I am hesitant to believe MIN would pull the trigger, albeit I do think moving KAT to PF and adding a defensive anchor like Hassan could help them quite a bit. Its the type of shake up positionally that could pay off well. I still don't think you can win with a guy as poor on defense as KAT playing C. If Hassan is playing as well as I think he can (I think 16-18ppg, 12-14rpg, 2.5bpg and elite advanced metrics), this could be both a win no and later deal for MIN.

For PDX is simple, they cash in on Hassan since resigning him isn't tenable w/ Nurkic already on the roster. This sort of consolidation makes sense if Jusuf is back playing and healthy. Gets a great SF fit and a overpriced but playable backup C.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#15 » by shrink » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:14 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

This deal I would do. I value Simons more than Little + 2020 FRP. I am hesitant to believe MIN would pull the trigger, albeit I do think moving KAT to PF and adding a defensive anchor like Hassan could help them quite a bit. Its the type of shake up positionally that could pay off well. I still don't think you can win with a guy as poor on defense as KAT playing C. If Hassan is playing as well as I think he can (I think 16-18ppg, 12-14rpg, 2.5bpg and elite advanced metrics), this could be both a win no and later deal for MIN.

For PDX is simple, they cash in on Hassan since resigning him isn't tenable w/ Nurkic already on the roster. This sort of consolidation makes sense if Jusuf is back playing and healthy. Gets a great SF fit and a overpriced but playable backup C.

I can’t imagine MIN doing this deal. Everything MIN does at this point has to be viewed through the lens of maximizing Towns. KAT is a Center, and it is the only position where there is hope that he can reach superstar potential. They aren’t going to push KAT farther, by moving him out of his favorite position, especially to put locker-room-problem Hassan Whiteside in it. Moreover, two picks in the 20’s, maybe, and moving a year of Dieng is not going to encourage the team to lose Covington, their second best player.

I imagine most contenders would outbid this offer, and they would need to for MIN to consider losing RoCo.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,962

Post#16 » by Domejandro » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:43 pm

expatbayern wrote:

Yeah, if PDX absorb Dieng instead of sending him to NYK and then get to hold onto Simons, I think there's a viable deal there.

Simons being taken out of the deal is a deal-breaker.
SmokeyPaw
Starter

Post#17 » by SmokeyPaw » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:42 am

expatbayern wrote:

No thats not close. Its 2 late firsts essentially for Covington.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,449

Post#18 » by Myth » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:09 pm

SmokeyPaw wrote:
expatbayern wrote:

Plus an upgrade of Whiteside for Dieng with a shorter contract.
SmokeyPaw
Starter

Post#19 » by SmokeyPaw » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Whiteside isnt that important. He'd be a backup 5 playing 10-12 minutes behind KAT in a rebuilding year. And before someone brings this up no the wolves arent moving KAT from his best and preferred position at the 5, or throw out the strategy to play small and fast, to accomodate Hassan Whiteside.

The point is Covington is the 2nd most important piece on the wolves when you consider impact on defense, line up flexibility and culture. But whats being offered are basically backup pieces. Its not close at all.
expatbayern
Senior
And1: 213

Post#20 » by expatbayern » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:35 pm

SmokeyPaw wrote:
expatbayern wrote:

Absorbing Dieng is worth something like another first, and Whiteside has some value beyond his expiring. You could probably move him at the deadline for a couple 2nds or a minor prospect, maybe a late first if a contender gets desperate for an injury replacement.

So it's more like 3-4 firsts worth of value for Covington. If Minny thinks they'll get more than that at the deadline they could hold onto him, but I'm guessing it's not too long before he gets tired of playing babysitter on a losing team like Butler did.

Return to Trades and Transactions