Which 2 players to build around?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Which 2 players to build your team around?

Kobe Bryant
17%
Kevin Durant
22%
Steve Nash
5%
Dirk Nowitzki
33%
Chris Paul
10%
Dwyane Wade
13%

Total votes: 87

udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Re: Which 2 players to build around? 

Post#21 » by udfa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:12 am

Kobe/Dirk would have been an amazing duo. If Kobe had gotten Dirk instead of Pau in 2008 they could have won 4 straight titles.

If we're talking about a dynasty, Kobe/Dirk is my unhesitating choice. They were both one team guys. I can imagine them playing 10 years together because there wouldn't be a fight over credit (probably). However, if we're talking about one season then 2008 Kobe/2017 Durant. Those are the two most unstoppable players on the list, in the playoffs they would smash the league right now. Whether they would be able to get along well is another question. They're both great professionals and all-time great talents and would be able to respect each other basis, but KD is sensitive while Kobe is in-your-face. There might be alpha BS going on too. I'd risk it for a season but not for dynasty.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,131

Post#22 » by CodeBreaker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:26 am

Wade and Durant.

I'd love that wing duo.
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#23 » by Odinn21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:43 am

This feels like a two questions combined in one;
- Which wing/guard player would you pair up with Nowitzki?
- Which wing/guard duo would you choose over a pair with Nowitzki?
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Whopper_Sr
Pro Prospect
And1: 898

Post#24 » by Whopper_Sr » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:08 am

Odinn21 wrote:This feels like a two questions combined in one;
- Which wing/guard player would you pair up with Nowitzki?
- Which wing/guard duo would you choose over a pair with Nowitzki?

Dirk being the only big skews the question a bit.

Since it seems Nash is the odd man out, I could've replaced him with someone like Anthony Davis maybe?
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,830

Post#25 » by bledredwine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:07 pm

Kobe Durant. Good luck.
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#26 » by oceanlife » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:25 pm

My instinct is to grab Dirk and Durant. Multiple seven foot shooters would make life miserable for any defense. But I get the impression we are supposed to pick a big and a wing. I'll take Durant over Dirk just because of the increased mobility for defense.

For the wing I would discount Chris Paul and Steve Nash because even though I love their games because they are small and didn't win at the highest level. Which leaves Wade and Kobe. If this were NBA2K I would take Kobe over Wade in a heart beat, but in the real world I'd take Wade over Kobe because you can trust Wade not to shoot your team out of a game.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,333

Post#27 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Can't imagine any choice but Dirk/Paul. Next would be Dirk/Nash. You are going to want someone who can run PNR with Dirk knowing your offense is unstoppable. Plus that's the strongest defensive combo as well with Dirk and Paul. Plus Dirk's durability means Paul's injuries are managable.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Bruh Man
Analyst
And1: 743

Post#28 » by Bruh Man » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:35 pm

bledredwine wrote:Kobe Durant. Good luck.

100%, just take the 2 best players very simple choice.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#29 » by limbo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Can't imagine any choice but Dirk/Paul. Next would be Dirk/Nash. You are going to want someone who can run PNR with Dirk knowing your offense is unstoppable. Plus that's the strongest defensive combo as well with Dirk and Paul. Plus Dirk's durability means Paul's injuries are managable.

Agree with this, pretty much.

But if Dirk wasn't the 'easy' option, and we remove him from the picture, i'd go Durant/CP3. You really can't mix guys like Nash, CP3, Kobe and Wade together because there's a lot of diminishing returns if these guys don't have the ball on offense and a lot of what they do overlaps.

Though Durant doesn't really play like a Big (he plays mostly on the perimeter, has a tendency of stopping ball-movement, likes to isolate, the pick n' roll is not really his game), he's still the most compatible out of the rest of the guys. Then it's all about which two players get the least in each other way. You let CP3 do the playmaking and Durant the scoring, but both can still play off each other to a strong degree because of their off-ball ability.
kendogg
Starter
And1: 512

Post#30 » by kendogg » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Kobe is the best player in the group. So him and whoever. Dirk I guess though Durant would work well also. Pairing Kobe with a Point Guard would be the least optimal pairing since it's practically useless in pick/roll and both players want the ball. Wade would be forced to play PG alongside Kobe since young Kobe is too small to play SF and even if he did bulk up early he's undersized for the position alongside Wade who is also undersized. No thanks. Wade might be the 2nd best player but he's a bad fit.

Return to Player Comparisons