And1: 2,561

Re: Tracking Former Wizards 3.0 

Post#1601 » by pcbothwel » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:28 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Is that a Sean Taylor jersey he's wearing?

Yes it is, here’s a better picture.
Before the fight, on his way to the game.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Even bigger Mike Scott fan now.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/mike-scott-reason-brawl-eagles-fans-revealed/

So these weak body Iggle fans tried to be funny by having a casket at the tailgate with Sean Taylors Jersey on it.
Mike Scott didnt take kindly to it... Good.
Philly is a dump and their fans are just as bad. Good riddance
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#1602 » by Kanyewest » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:39 am

nate33 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:I concur with bball reference.

Webber always seemed overrated to me. His stats didn't translate into playoff wins and he wasn't so great at the things that didn't show up in the box score. He was "talented" without necessarily being "great". His team only got past the 2nd round of the playoffs once.

Wallace is the opposite. He was arguably the best player on a championship team (and a team that made the ECF's 4 years in a row). He didn't score, but his rebounding and defense were monstrous. He may be the best pick-and-roll defender of all time and is a top 5 overall defensive player of all time.

When you look at their respective career achievements, Wallace has Webber beat. Each guy was a 5-time All-NBA player, and hung around the 5-10 range in MVP voting for a few years. The big difference is that Wallace was also a 5-time All Defensive 1st teamer, and a 4 time DPOY. And of course, Wallace has a ring.

Getting to the Conference Finals in the West is like getting to the NBA Finals. Plus that series was rigged for anyone who watched and Webber and Bibby should be NBA champions. They were also on their way to beating the Mavs in 2003 in the 2nd round before Webber suffered his career altering injury.

The East/West disparity wasn't quite so large back then. During Webber's 6-year run with Sacramento, the West's winning percentage versus East teams was 51.8%. To be fair, in the 2001-2002 season when Sacramento made the WFC's, the West was indeed unusually strong, with a 54.3% winning percentage over the East.

Webber getting hurt isn't a caveat. Staying healthy is a skill. Webber often had injury issues. It's another reason I rank Wallace above him. In Wallace's 6 year run with Detroit, he missed a grand total of 22 games.

The Kings lost to the Lakers 3 times in a row who ended up winning the championship 3 times in a row. As an 8th seed, the Kings won as many games as the 2000 Indiana Pacers in a 5 game series while the Pacers got to play in a 7 game series. The Blazers took the Lakers to 7 that season. Webber averaged 26, 9.6, and 5 against the Lakers.

In 2001, the 76ers did manage to sneak a game off the Lakers- more than the entire West. Maybe you could argue that there was a layoff. Also the Kings had 55 wins that season, 1 less than the 76ers who made it to the Finals. If the Kings played in the East, they could have made it to the finals especially since they would have been the #1 seed like the 76ers.

In 2002, the Kings took the Lakers to 7 games. The Nets didn't take a single game from the Lakers. Again the West was stronger. Plus the Kings should probably have a ring if the series was officiated fairly.

Also, Webber made it to two conference finals- one with the Pistons- although he wasn't the same player but he was a certainly was a positive factor with a ws/48 of .134. Hell Webber even put up 20 and 7 in game 5 in the game where LeBron James went off against the Pistons.

But then again, I think the injury against the Mavericks was an unfortunate where Webber got injured. I guess we have to agree to disagree that it was bad luck rather than the ability to stay healthy. And also the fact that Webber played 37 minutes per game and played essentially the same number of minutes as Wallace when they were both 34. Also the Kings were the favorites that year

Both Ben Wallace and Chris Webber deserve to be in. I will say I'm not even sure if Wallace is more durable given that they played the same amount of minutes when they were both 34. Webber had to carry a much bigger load, I'm not sure if Ben Wallace would have been healthy playing 37 minutes per game like Webber.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#1603 » by verbal8 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:44 pm

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#1604 » by closg00 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:23 am

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#1605 » by montestewart » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:07 pm

closg00 wrote:

35,000 square feet? That's not even a quarter acre. He must not have a family.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1606 » by closg00 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:55 pm

closg00
RealGM

Post#1607 » by closg00 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 pm

"Kelly Oubre Jr. Suing Ex-Girlfriend, You Stole My Dogs!"
https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/19/kelly-oubre-jr-suing-ex-girlfriend-stole-dogs/
closg00
RealGM

Post#1608 » by closg00 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:10 pm

I wonder if Ernie is still in DC?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#1609 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:43 pm

The Bulls Plan to Load Manage Otto Porter

“We will manage him appropriately,” Boylen said. “He will not play over 30 minutes in anything we do to get going here. We’ll manage him on the off days in a real respectful way. Obviously, he’s a big piece. He’s our starting 3, a big wing. And we need him.”

The Bulls have a set of back-to-back games in this first week of the regular season, with their home opener against the defending NBA champion Raptors coming Saturday following a game at the Grizzlies Friday.

“We’ll see how he feels,” Boylen said. “It might be a situation where we manage him the first night in order to play him the second night. Or manage him the first night and the second night he feels maybe a night he doesn’t play. But we have a plan. It’s rough because it’s depending on how he feels.”

The decision to let Porter go is looking better and better. $28M a year for a guy who can only play maybe 2000 minutes a season is a lot of money. I didn't like the return for the trade. I really wish we would have traded him for a filler contract and a pick rather than for two "high upside" guys who we ended up not keeping, but the decision to trade him appears to be the correct one.
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#1610 » by smoothSeph » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Of course he's finishing with his right now smh
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1611 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:38 pm

smoothSeph wrote:

I don't think he's all that much of a bargain at 2-years $30M, so these highlights don't make me all that envious.

But that said, we could have retained him if we had refrained from signing Ish and trading Dwight for CJ. I'd prefer Oubre to that combo. A starting lineup of Brown, Beal, Oubre, Hachimura and Bryant would be very interesting. Though we can't ignore that Ted saved money and avoided the tax by trading Oubre.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1612 » by closg00 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:47 pm

nate33 wrote:The Bulls Plan to Load Manage Otto Porter

“We will manage him appropriately,” Boylen said. “He will not play over 30 minutes in anything we do to get going here. We’ll manage him on the off days in a real respectful way. Obviously, he’s a big piece. He’s our starting 3, a big wing. And we need him.”

The Bulls have a set of back-to-back games in this first week of the regular season, with their home opener against the defending NBA champion Raptors coming Saturday following a game at the Grizzlies Friday.

“We’ll see how he feels,” Boylen said. “It might be a situation where we manage him the first night in order to play him the second night. Or manage him the first night and the second night he feels maybe a night he doesn’t play. But we have a plan. It’s rough because it’s depending on how he feels.”

The decision to let Porter go is looking better and better. $28M a year for a guy who can only play maybe 2000 minutes a season is a lot of money. I didn't like the return for the trade. I really wish we would have traded him for a filler contract and a pick rather than for two "high upside" guys who we ended up not keeping, but the decision to trade him appears to be the correct one.

Sad to read this, Otto, aka "Grimace" , will be out of the NBA after his current contract expires
closg00
RealGM

Post#1613 » by closg00 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:50 pm

smoothSeph wrote:

Always thought KO would be more successful than Otto, good pick by Ernie :D
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#1614 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:31 am

closg00 wrote:Always thought KO would be more successful than Otto, good pick by Ernie :D

??

Oubre had a pretty good game against the Kings. Nothing to hang his hat on or get over-excited about, but a good game all the same. & he had some games like that with us too. But, the idea that he's been "successful" at all -- let alone "more successful than Otto" -- is incorrect, & it's not even close.

Otto had a couple of tremendous seasons, of a kind it's hard to imagine Oubre ever approaching. But, he certainly does seem to be injury-prone. Maybe that's what you saw, closg00, that he would be hurt a lot? I don't recall you or anyone mentioning that concern back around that draft. I certainly didn't see it.

Aside from that, the idea that you give up 2 R2 picks to move up 4 spots & pick a guy, & then you trade him for essentially nothing 3.5 years later, & then someone calls that a "good pick by Ernie" is kind of mind-blowing.

Don't get me wrong: I supported the move at the time. But, I was altogether mistaken. Now, if he'd traded down & picked Larry Nance Junior & Kevon Looney... that would have been good work!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1615 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:07 am

closg00 wrote:
nate33 wrote:The Bulls Plan to Load Manage Otto Porter

Sad to read this, Otto, aka "Grimace" , will be out of the NBA after his current contract expires

Well really Otto just has to hold it together this season and he can opt-out for one last big deal next summer.

But yeah , whoever gives him this next contract better hope and pray his hips don’t give out.. it’s a shame , I would be surprised if he’s still a starting caliber player past age 30
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#1616 » by Rafael122 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Sato will be a backup by the All-Star break if not sooner. Coby White has been playing really good ball. And the Otto thing, still would have liked to get a pick back but it really does sound like he's damaged goods. It makes no sense for him to opt out if he can't deal with the day to day NBA grind. He'll opt in and then go from there.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1617 » by nate33 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:29 pm

payitforward wrote:Aside from that, the idea that you give up 2 R2 picks to move up 4 spots & pick a guy, & then you trade him for essentially nothing 3.5 years later, & then someone calls that a "good pick by Ernie" is kind of mind-blowing.

Don't get me wrong: I supported the move at the time. But, I was altogether mistaken. Now, if he'd traded down & picked Larry Nance Junior & Kevon Looney... that would have been good work!

It was a good pick. Drafting a guy good enough to earn a 7-figure-a-year 2nd contract is a good thing. Oubre was a useful rotation player while he was here, and has become a useful starter. That's a good pick.

Oubre is better than Looney or Nance - or certainly the market thinks he is more valuable based on the contract they gave him last summer. The only reason one might like Nance or Looney more is because they signed much cheaper 2nd contracts. That has nothing to do with Ernie's draft day decision. Surely you're not arguing that EG should have drafted a worse player so that he'd be cheaper on his 2nd contract.

The only problem with Oubre is that he happened to hit free agency during a year when there was a lot of money floating around and their was a high demand for wings. If we could have ultimately retained him for $12M a year or so, I'd have been happy to do so. But at $15M per year, I can understand letting him go.

All that said, I'd rather have Oubre at $15M than Ish + CJ + $3M in spare luxtax room. If we had played our cards right, there would have been just enough money to retain him. I would have really enjoyed a starting 5 of Brown, Beal, Oubre, Hachimura and Bryant, with Bertans as 6th man. That's a rock solid team.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1618 » by closg00 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:40 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Aside from that, the idea that you give up 2 R2 picks to move up 4 spots & pick a guy, & then you trade him for essentially nothing 3.5 years later, & then someone calls that a "good pick by Ernie" is kind of mind-blowing.

It was a good pick. Drafting a guy good enough to earn a 7-figure-a-year 2nd contract is a good thing. Oubre was a useful rotation player while he was here, and has become a useful starter. That's a good pick.

Oubre is better than Looney or Nance - or certainly the market thinks he is more valuable based on the contract they gave him last summer. The only reason one might like Nance or Looney more is because they signed much cheaper 2nd contracts. That has nothing to do with Ernie's draft day decision. Surely you're not arguing that EG should have drafted a worse player so that he'd be cheaper on his 2nd contract.

The only problem with Oubre is that he happened to hit free agency during a year when there was a lot of money floating around and their was a high demand for wings. If we could have ultimately retained him for $12M a year or so, I'd have been happy to do so. But at $15M per year, I can understand letting him go.

All that said, I'd rather have Oubre at $15M than Ish + CJ + $3M in spare luxtax room. If we had played our cards right, there would have been just enough money to retain him. I would have really enjoyed a starting 5 of Brown, Beal, Oubre, Hachimura and Bryant, with Bertans as 6th man. That's a rock solid team.

:nod: *Sigh*, no Mahinmi too and we perhaps could have made it work
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#1619 » by mhd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:17 am

Otto has got be hurt. He's been horrible to start the year. I wish we could have gotten something of longterm substance.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#1620 » by tontoz » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:43 am

mhd wrote:Otto has got be hurt. He's been horrible to start the year. I wish we could have gotten something of longterm substance.

Seems pretty rare when he isn't hurt. Horrible start to the season.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards