ImageImageImage

Im Expecting a Big Season From....

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,372

Im Expecting a Big Season From.... 

Post#1 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:38 am

Its very dead around here, so i figured i would see who you all think will have a big season and who your expecting to improve? Ill start...

J - Rich i think his efficiency is going to be sky high here in Philly as compared to Miami. Thats who im expecting to have an excellent season. His defense has a chance to be all nba caliber in his role here. But i really want to see him improve as a closer and on his iso game, that would be huge for us. I also believe Ben is going to have a breakout year and establish himself as a superstar, on 19-20 8rbs and 9ast and a much improved perimeter game.

Im expecting big things from Al as well, not numbers wise but just shear impact. Tobias has a chance to up his scoring and really be a good 2nd option, he should be around 22-23 ppg this year on high efficiency. But we really need him to be our best and most reliable shooter and i think he should be an allstar.

And finally Joel im expecting to establish himself as a true top 5 player and MVP candidate. I think he is really going to be a force this year after what happened in the playoffs. He should be in his best form this year heading into his true prime years. Im expecting nothing less than him being an MVP finalist and a defensive player of the year finalist.

I like the construction of this team i really dont see many holes. We should be the best team in the east by a decent margin. This is Bretts make or break year. I love Brett but if he cant maximize this roster and atleast put them in the finals then its clear we should move on from him.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Im Expecting a Big Season From.... 

Post#2 » by LloydFree » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:38 pm

Of all the 76ers' starters, I think I have the least amount of questions about Josh Richardson and how he can fill his role. He's already good at the things they're going to ask him to do. He already defends PGs and disrupts the opposing offense. He already shoots catch-and-shoot 3's at a high volume, and he attacks close-outs.

The guy I anticipate will have the biggest jump is Tobias Harris. They didn't utilize him at all last year. Tobias Harris is one of the best pick-n-roll initiators in the NBA, but he couldn't do it with us last year because Jimmy Butler needed to do that. He and Al Horford will work well together out of that. Tobias Harris is also a player who scores well out of the dribble-handoff, but he wasn't used for that, because those designs were for JJ Redick. He and Embiid should be able to work that. He's also an over 40% corner 3 shooter. Honestly, I expect Tobias Harris to easily get back to the 20 something ppg player he was with the Clippers.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#3 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:35 pm

I'd put my money on Tobias. His usage should increase and I expect we'll actually run sets that'll allow him to get to his spots instead of him being reduced to a catch-and-shoot guy like he was during stretches last year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#4 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:40 pm

Team defense would be my answer. So many folks are talking about the potential of the clippers D but imo we've got more defensive talent than them and it's gonna so interesting to see how it all comes together on the floor.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#5 » by kuclas » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:23 pm

I think we will see big things from Simmons. Not in terms of shooting. But more post ups. More short jump hooks. He’s gonna to up his offensive game 10 foot and in. That will be an improvement from his 5 foot and in shooting/dunks.

That’s all Ben really needs. He doesn’t need a 3 pointer to be elite. He needs a 10 foot game. Baby steps. But that is the big baby step we will see. Opening up 5 feet of space would be huge.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#6 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 am

After we traded for Al, my belief was we has set a stage for all of Ben, Biid and Tobi to perform, by creating mismatches and 4 out offense. I see Al as having that Iguodala role during the Warriors championship run. Old but gold. Put him in and we have a line-up that will be a match-up nightmare for every team.

Ben. Personally, I dont think he has improved after his rookie year as a 21 year old. For me, a part of the reason why we traded Jimmy was to not waste Ben’s talent. And lastly, changing his mind to not play for the national team after being paid the max, shows that he’s committed to make a jump next season.

Biid, personally, I find him shrinking in the play-offs. He can be the second best 3pt shooter on the team behind Tobi. Many are focused on ben’s shooting, but truth be told, we can end the problem if Biid lives up to his upside as a shooter.

“Sixers don’t have a closer.” That’s where Tobi comes into the picture. He is a 3 level scorer with almost close to elite shooting %s. A match-up problem for most forwards and has a budding PnR game, which we should see a lot more with the departure of Jimmy.

I dont think J-Rich will have the same usage as what he had with the Heat. He was used as a first option to jack up his trade value, and it ultimately hurt his %.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#7 » by Chris76 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:47 pm

kuclas wrote:I think we will see big things from Simmons. Not in terms of shooting. But more post ups. More short jump hooks. He’s gonna to up his offensive game 10 foot and in. That will be an improvement from his 5 foot and in shooting/dunks.

That’s all Ben really needs. He doesn’t need a 3 pointer to be elite. He needs a 10 foot game. Baby steps. But that is the big baby step we will see. Opening up 5 feet of space would be huge.

An improvement in Ben's midrange game could be huge.

Many think he didn't improve much last year, but he started to initiate contact before finishing, Embiid also.

Ben could of had 8 to 10 more points a game. It was frustrating to watch him flip a shot and miss several feet from the basket. However, he easily got to his spots against most defenders.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#8 » by ivysixer2000 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Brett Brown.

This is a team clearly built to make it to the Finals, but will we fall short again. We can sit here and blame such and such player cause of their shortcomings, make excuses, whatever if we lose.

At the end of the day, with all the long term contracts we have now with players locked in for multiple years, all eyes will and should be on Brett.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,155

Post#9 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:11 pm

I think it's Ben or Tobias (or both). I think each player can be optimized with the way the roster is built. I was all for keeping Jimmy, but replacing him with Horford really opens things up for those two. I expect Tobias to carry a huge offensive load and Ben to jump into that top 15-17 player tier. Barring injuries, it's Finals or bust this year.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#10 » by blargh » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:46 pm

I think the Sixers will “load manage” Embiid all season long: I expect all of his counting stats to be down, with Tobias picking up a lot of the slack. I think Joel will anchor us in big games/playoffs.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#11 » by rzzzzz » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:51 pm

blargh wrote:I think the Sixers will “load manage” Embiid all season long: I expect all of his counting stats to be down, with Tobias picking up a lot of the slack. I think Joel will anchor us in big games/playoffs.

definitely i'm hoping for a fit, healthy Biid who will finally fulfill the dominance that Sam saw in him. kudos to Elton for putting together the right support to encourage going big through the playoffs.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#12 » by Simmons25 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:30 am

I think Tobias. Redick and Jimmy got a lot of the shots and they aren't there anymore. I can see Tobias being our 2nd/3rd option on offense rather than 4th/5th like he was last year.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#13 » by snoopdogg88 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:44 pm

I think people expecting Tobias to take some major step are going to be disappointed.
Sure, he’s more acclimated to the system and his teammates, and I expect him to fit better without Jimmy.

But he’s not magically going to becomes a closer at the end of games and be some clutch star. He’s not that, never has been. He’s gonna continue to shrink and disappear in the big moments. It’s one of the reasons LA was fine with dumping him , as clippers fans tried to warn us. They know he’s a fake star.

Our championship chances start and end with Joel and Ben taking the next step. Period.

With that said, I think Zhaire and Matisse could be bigger contributors that people realize. I think they both have bright futures in this league.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#14 » by Chris76 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Simmons25 wrote:I think Tobias. Redick and Jimmy got a lot of the shots and they aren't there anymore. I can see Tobias being our 2nd/3rd option on offense rather than 4th/5th like he was last year.

I agree Tobias and Richardson should benefit greatly with more opportunities.

Simmons should be more aggressive in attack mode this year. PFs will have to defend Horford leaving a smaller defender on Simmons.

Hopefully, Simmons adds an efficient 15 ft jumper when teams sag off. With his size, guards should be at a huge disadvantage.
JJJgoat
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#15 » by JJJgoat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:23 am

Embiid wants MVP, there is bigger season possible but the one this man could deliver.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers