Magic Exercise 20-21 Options On Markelle Fultz, Mo Bamba, Jonathan Issac

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Magic Exercise 20-21 Options On Markelle Fultz, Mo Bamba, Jonathan Issac 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:17 pm

The Orlando Magic have exercised their third-year team option on center Mo Bamba and their fourth-year team options on guard Markelle Fultz and forward Jonathan Isaac. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed. Bamba, Fultz and Isaac are all now signed through the 2020-21 season.

“Mo (Bamba), Markelle (Fultz) and Jonathan (Isaac) have each demonstrated a strong work ethic, while exhibiting a commitment to team values,” said Weltman. “We look forward to exciting futures with them as part of the Magic family.”

Bamba (7’0”, 231, 5/12/98) appeared in 47 games (one start) during his rookie campaign last season with Orlando, averaging 6.2 ppg., 5.0 rpg. and 1.36 blkpg. in 16.3 minpg. He ranked among all NBA rookies in rebounding (sixth) and blocked shots (third). Bamba was originally selected in the first round (sixth overall) of the 2018 NBA Draft by the Magic.

Fultz (6’4”, 209, 5/29/98) played in 19 games (15 starts) with Philadelphia last season, averaging 8.2 ppg., 3.7 rpg. and 3.1 apg. in 22.5 minpg. He was by Orlando in a trade with the Sixers in exchange for Jonathon Simmons, a 2020 protected first round draft pick and a 2019 second round draft pick on Feb. 7, 2019.

Originally selected by Philadelphia in the first round (first overall) of the 2017 NBA Draft, Fultz has appeared in 33 career NBA regular season games (15 starts), all with Philadelphia, averaging 7.7 ppg., 3.4 rpg. and 3.4 apg. in 20.6 minpg. He has also played in three career playoff games, averaging 1.7 ppg., 1.7 apg. and 1.0 rpg. in 7.6 minpg.

Isaac (6’10”, 230, 10/3/97) played in 75 games (64 starts) last season with Orlando, averaging 9.6 ppg., 5.5 rpg., 1.1 apg. and 1.31 blkpg. in 26.6 minpg., while shooting .815 (110-135) from the free throw line. He also appeared and started in five playoff outings, averaging 6.6 ppg., 6.2 rpg. and 1.00 blkpg. in 27.3 minpg.

Via RealGM Staff Report

donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Re: Magic Exercise 20-21 Options On Markelle Fultz, Mo Bamba, Jonathan Issac 

Post#2 » by donemilio21 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:34 pm

OK. I was big on Fultz when he was in college too, but he has nothing to show for so far, and it is astounding that Magic is committing to pay him $12.3M next year.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Post#3 » by A BETTER DJ » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:28 pm

donemilio21 wrote:OK. I was big on Fultz when he was in college too, but he has nothing to show for so far, and it is astounding that Magic is committing to pay him $12.3M next year.

I'm guessing the Magic have seen some things from Fultz that made that move the thing to do. There has been nothing at all in the media about his progress and it wouldn't surprise me to see him ready to play at a level worthy of a first overall pick.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,048

Post#4 » by Lalouie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:04 pm

aside from greg oden's, is fultz's the easiest multi million, dollars per on court time contract?
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:21 pm

Lalouie wrote:aside from greg oden's, is fultz's the easiest multi million, dollars per on court time contract?

Oden played over 3 times as many minutes as Fultz has to this point.... and at a higher level for the most part. Oden earned about $24M in his career. Fultz will have earned about $37M by the end of this contract. You do the math.
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#6 » by Popsicle1228 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:42 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Lalouie wrote:aside from greg oden's, is fultz's the easiest multi million, dollars per on court time contract?

Oden played over 3 times as many minutes as Fultz has to this point.... and at a higher level for the most part. Oden earned about $24M in his career. Fultz will have earned about $37M by the end of this contract. You do the math.

The math can more accurately be completed when Fultz’s career is over and all the data that can be collected is collected.
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#7 » by jayrehme » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Seeing as Orlando had no caproom anyways, the only ones paying are the owners... a win for team and fans
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,650

Post#8 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:18 pm

jayrehme wrote:Seeing as Orlando had no caproom anyways, the only ones paying are the owners... a win for team and fans

This is for next year. They would have cap space next year if fournier doesn't exercise his option. They just about made sure with this that they have no cap space.

I really don't get this move at all.
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#9 » by jayrehme » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:59 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
jayrehme wrote:Seeing as Orlando had no caproom anyways, the only ones paying are the owners... a win for team and fans

This is for next year. They would have cap space next year if fournier doesn't exercise his option. They just about made sure with this that they have no cap space.

Don't get taking a 1 year risk on a player with immense talent at their position of need?... ok
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#10 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:45 am

Johnny Bball wrote:

In what world would Evan Fournier turn down a $17M pay day? He isn’t getting that on the open market.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#11 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:02 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

In what world would Evan Fournier turn down a $17M pay day? He isn’t getting that on the open market.

In the same world Jonas Valanciunas just turned down a 17M pay day.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#12 » by LloydFree » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:07 am

Markelle Fultz's agents deserve the medal of Honor. Managed to collect the whole rookie deal.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#13 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:19 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

JV took less money per year. Evan will not.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#14 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:26 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Dude ...

JV is 35 years old. He took LESS money per year in order to get his last multi-year deal.

Fournier is 26. He can collect $17M next year and still likely sign two more multi-year contracts.

smh

Lol. Jv's 27. Exactly what fournier will be. I'm not going to get anything I don't know out of this exchange obviously.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:40 am

Popsicle1228 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

The math can more accurately be completed when Fultz’s career is over and all the data that can be collected is collected.

True... but that doesn't change my point. He said "aside from Oden" when Fultz has been far more expensive per minute thus far.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#16 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:11 am

Johnny Bball wrote:

Fournier isn't exercising his option lets be realistic here.extremely low risk move by orlando keeping Fultz
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#17 » by TheCage4 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:53 am

I love how everyone concerns themselves with cap room as if big name free agents are chomping at the bit to sign with them.

We as NBA fans have to realize if we’re not in a big market, we’re not getting the big names. Therefore using cap room on young talent that can potentially blossom into star-type players is the only alternative to tanking for picks.

Good moves by Orlando. I hope these kids pan out.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
F-Stop
Sixth Man
And1: 85

Post#18 » by F-Stop » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:34 pm

TheCage4 wrote:I love how everyone concerns themselves with cap room as if big name free agents are chomping at the bit to sign with them.

We as NBA fans have to realize if we’re not in a big market, we’re not getting the big names. Therefore using cap room on young talent that can potentially blossom into star-type players is the only alternative to tanking for picks.

Good moves by Orlando. I hope these kids pan out.

excellent point
The champs were unable to acquire a big freeagent and they had 30 FGA's walk out the door.
Make them respond to your way of playing not the other way around
Wolf of Ball St
Junior
And1: 519

Post#19 » by Wolf of Ball St » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Magic quietly putting together a solid young core. Player development will drive success in the future.

Return to Wiretap Discussion