ImageImageImage

Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Re: Who Will Emerge As The Team's #3 Scoring Option This Season? 

Post#21 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:40 am

Strength and attitude is exactly why you play Boban next to KP to start the game and smash the other team in the mouth with dominating size insuring that the rim is completely protected so nobody has a free path to the basket.

With DeLon defending the other teams PG's and being the top defender of the perimeter and with Luka and Seth tearing it up on the offensive end of the floor we could start every game by getting up 20 points on the other team by the end of the 1st quarter.

The fire power this team has now is unstoppable our only weakness is on the perimeter defense we put out there and with better 3 point shooting we could simply out shoot the other team with Seth KP and Luka dropping in 3's far more consistently.

ho do you guard with those 3 scoring at will. They can dump it inside to Boban or a streaking Powell for the easy lob and nobody is looking for it with the defense stretched to cover Seth and KP on the 3 point line. DeLon has the athletic ability to punish teams with drives to the basket and he may get back to 36% from 3 this season.

The PNR game the inside out game whatever you want to throw at the other team its going to work most of the time and that will allow us to relax a little and coast during parts of the game when the 2nd team is in there.

If the starters are who I already mentioned above then we have the deepest bench in the league so we probably will extend the lead when the bench is in the game.

Brunson Barea
THJ Ryan Lee
Jackson DFS
Powell
Kleber

If either rookie develops into something then we are going to be able to trade someone and make moves to get a 3rd stud. All we have to do is wait and that piece is going to come our way and then we are the contender that will be around for many many years just like GSW was.
Fuerza1
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#22 » by Fuerza1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:38 pm

If we want a successful season (at least .500), I think we need Brunson or Jackson to be the 3rd scoring option; they offer the most upside given their youth. Brunson has a better chance but it may not come this year.

My guess is that it will be more of a 3rd scorer by committee. Possibly multiple guys in that 12-14 ppg range neck-and-neck with one another. I'd rank it Brunson; THJ; Seth; Powell; Jackson.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#23 » by Darren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:38 am

Darren
RealGM

Post#24 » by Darren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:50 am

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#25 » by Teffer10 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:06 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Strength and attitude is exactly why you play Boban next to KP to start the game and smash the other team in the mouth with dominating size insuring that the rim is completely protected so nobody has a free path to the basket.

With DeLon defending the other teams PG's and being the top defender of the perimeter and with Luka and Seth tearing it up on the offensive end of the floor we could start every game by getting up 20 points on the other team by the end of the 1st quarter.

The fire power this team has now is unstoppable our only weakness is on the perimeter defense we put out there and with better 3 point shooting we could simply out shoot the other team with Seth KP and Luka dropping in 3's far more consistently.

ho do you guard with those 3 scoring at will. They can dump it inside to Boban or a streaking Powell for the easy lob and nobody is looking for it with the defense stretched to cover Seth and KP on the 3 point line. DeLon has the athletic ability to punish teams with drives to the basket and he may get back to 36% from 3 this season.

The PNR game the inside out game whatever you want to throw at the other team its going to work most of the time and that will allow us to relax a little and coast during parts of the game when the 2nd team is in there.

If the starters are who I already mentioned above then we have the deepest bench in the league so we probably will extend the lead when the bench is in the game.

Brunson Barea
THJ Ryan Lee
Jackson DFS
Powell
Kleber

If either rookie develops into something then we are going to be able to trade someone and make moves to get a 3rd stud. All we have to do is wait and that piece is going to come our way and then we are the contender that will be around for many many years just like GSW was.

I don't see Boban starting but I wouldn't mind seeing RC going with more of a "jumbo" lineup at times (Luka/Wright/Maxi/KP/Boban) to attempt to disrupt opposing chemistry.

I do agree the strength of this team could be it's bench this season, but as we saw in Toronto 2 years ago, benches don't win championships. When they upgraded their SL (Kawhi and Gasol) they won it all.
We do need someone to step up to either be that guy or become valuable enough to be part of a big deal.
I'm still hoping for Reaves because I still think he has the most upside of anyone on our team.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Teffer10 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Fuerza1 wrote:If we want a successful season (at least .500), I think we need Brunson or Jackson to be the 3rd scoring option; they offer the most upside given their youth. Brunson has a better chance but it may not come this year.

My guess is that it will be more of a 3rd scorer by committee. Possibly multiple guys in that 12-14 ppg range neck-and-neck with one another. I'd rank it Brunson; THJ; Seth; Powell; Jackson.

Pretty much the way I see it too.
I do think Brunson and Jackson need to step up to make us legit PO contenders but I honestly think both, along with DFS, Maxi, and Powell, are playing at or near their ceilings. Reaves, Roby and Wright are all big question marks and the ones with the most upside imo.
I also agree that it will most likely be by committee because this team is basically KP/Luka and a bunch of decent role players and I could see any of those role players being the 3rd top scorer on any given night.
However, my guess is that Seth will have the most games as a top 3 scorer outside of KP and Luka.
Darren
RealGM

Post#27 » by Darren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:Strength and attitude is exactly why you play Boban next to KP to start the game and smash the other team in the mouth with dominating size insuring that the rim is completely protected so nobody has a free path to the basket.

Brunson Barea
THJ Ryan Lee
Jackson DFS
Powell
Kleber

I don't see Boban starting but I wouldn't mind seeing RC going with more of a "jumbo" lineup at times (Luka/Wright/Maxi/KP/Boban) to attempt to disrupt opposing chemistry.

I do agree the strength of this team could be it's bench this season, but as we saw in Toronto 2 years ago, benches don't win championships. When they upgraded their SL (Kawhi and Gasol) they won it all.
We do need someone to step up to either be that guy or become valuable enough to be part of a big deal.
I'm still hoping for Reaves because I still think he has the most upside of anyone on our team.

If Zinger could not play uptempo game at all, I am all for putting Boban and Curry in the starting lineup. Just coming up with the best spacing on the floor with the starting unit. Using 3 ball-handlers to control the pace. With a second unit with Powell, Maxi, Barea, DFS, Brunson. That is simply a running unit.

By the way, I don't like what I see from Hardaway who rarely stops Curry on perimeter nor stops Delon driving to the paint. Out of shape? Disinterest? To make it worst, Hardaway doesn't score much against the duo in 2-on-2 in the video. From the Delon-Curry one-on-one session, I think Curry is good enough as a starter barring on what the coach wants to achieve. Surely, Curry is more dependable than Hardaway as a scoring punch as well.
Darren
RealGM

Post#28 » by Darren » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:43 pm

Hardaway does make uncontested long shots from both side a lot better. More likely than not, the coach puts Hardaway into Wes Matthews shoes - no more playmaking, just make open shots please.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Teffer10 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:10 am

Darren wrote:

Hardaway does make uncontested long shots from both side a lot better. More likely than not, the coach puts Hardaway into Wes Matthews shoes - no more playmaking, just make open shots please.

I'm beginning to think Hardaway will be our 5th starter on opening night and the job will be his to lose as the season progresses.

A lot of people are high on Jackson but I just don't see a lot of talent there. He will probably hang around the league for several years but I see him as more of a Najera type player with that type of career.

Hardaway has the skills to be our 3rd best player (similar to Fin) if he plays with the right attitude and stays within the boundaries of his role.

Luka/Brunson/Barea
Wright/Seth/Lee
THJ/Jackson/Broekoff
KP/Maxi/DFS
Powell/Boban/Holman?
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Post#30 » by Deus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Hardaway or Jackson

I like Hardaway as a 6th man off the bench with Justin Jackson starting.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Teffer10 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Deus wrote:Hardaway or Jackson

Jackson seems to have limited offensive skills compared to THJ. I see Jackson as a scrappy blue-collar workhorse player similar to Najera, Matt Barnes, Brian Cardinal, etc..., and with Wright as a better defender than offensive threat, I think Rick will want to go with an offense-oriented player to play with Luka and KP.

Again I don't think THJ will be an unconditional starter like KP and Luka. If he isn't consistent and doesn't play within the borders of his role I could see Jackson, DFS, Brunson, Seth or even Lee moving into the starting lineup.

Mavs should and probably will have THJ under a microscope to be the 3rd of a big 3. If he doesn't live up to that I think he will be shopped aggressively by mid-season.

I think Seth will be the 6th man this season
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#32 » by daoneandonly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

Jackson seems to have limited offensive skills compared to THJ. I see Jackson as a scrappy blue-collar workhorse player similar to Najera, Matt Barnes, Brian Cardinal, etc..., and with Wright as a better defender than offensive threat, I think Rick will want to go with an offense-oriented player to play with Luka and KP.

Again I don't think THJ will be an unconditional starter like KP and Luka. If he isn't consistent and doesn't play within the borders of his role I could see Jackson, DFS, Brunson, Seth or even Lee moving into the starting lineup.

Mavs should and probably will have THJ under a microscope to be the 3rd of a big 3. If he doesn't live up to that I think he will be shopped aggressively by mid-season.

Yeah Seth should definitely be our 6th man, its a role made for him. Which is another reason I want us to trade THJ, I dont see those 2 guys really fitting well together as neither can really defend, and I dont want THJ starting either.
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Post#33 » by Deus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

I think you'll be surprised by what Justin Jackson brings to the team. I see him as a good up and coming player. 10-12 ppg likely. The only questions I have are his size. He's really thin at 6'8. He needs to bulk up (like Powell had to do in the last 4 years) if he's going to contribute on the defensive side of the ball. If he gets pushed around defensively Carlisle won't like it.

But your likely correct they'll have THJ start. He's getting the big money anyway.
chokingmav
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#34 » by chokingmav » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:53 pm

We're paying Powell to be (not including that insaneTHJ contract). With Luka and KP on the floor he should have a field day rolling to the basket. He should up his scoring to 13 to 15 points per game hopefully.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#35 » by The Sparest » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:57 am

I don't think we will have a true 3rd option. More like three 4th options (Wright, Hardaway, and Curry) who take turns stepping up.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#36 » by bobsquad » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:40 am

Teffer10 wrote:I'm beginning to think Hardaway will be our 5th starter on opening night and the job will be his to lose as the season progresses.

A lot of people are high on Jackson but I just don't see a lot of talent there. He will probably hang around the league for several years but I see him as more of a Najera type player with that type of career.

Hardaway has the skills to be our 3rd best player (similar to Fin) if he plays with the right attitude and stays within the boundaries of his role.

Luka/Brunson/Barea
Wright/Seth/Lee
THJ/Jackson/Broekoff
KP/Maxi/DFS
Powell/Boban/Holman?

I'm warming up to this lineup. THJ, imo, is our X-factor for being a playoff team. His range of production is from net on-court negative to legit 2nd scoring option: this could swing us in either direction.

Curry is probably the safest option to start, but we're not fully going to know what we have in THJ if he's just a hole-plugging bench guy. Our max potential with this roster is only reached if THJ can play with Luka and KP.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#37 » by Ganji » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:37 am

Tim Hardaway Jr
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#38 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:54 pm

My guess would be Curry or THJ. Curry if he’s indeed getting 25-27 mpg.

Teffer10 wrote:
gh123 wrote:Is THJ coming off the bench? Is he starting along Wright?
Either KP or THJ.

I think the 5th starter will be between Seth and either DFS or Jackson.

Luka/Wright/Jackson/KP/Powell
Luka/Wright/DFS/KP/Powell
Luka/Seth/Wright/KP/Powell

I think one of those 3 lineups will be the primary starting lineup.
THJ, Brunson, Maxi, Boban and 2 of those other 3 (Seth, DFS, Jackson) will be a pretty strong bench, especially with JJB, Broek and Lee being 12th, 13th and 14th on the depth chart.

Look for Lee, Broek and either Jackson or DFS to be dealt or cut by mid-season.

Yeah, I like

Luka, Seth, Wright, Powell and KP

I think having our best shooter (Curry) with the starters is important. And maybe DFS/Jackson replace Seth if we play a team w a big SF that Wright can’t handle.
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#39 » by Dundalis » Wed Oct 2, 2019 6:20 pm

bobsquad wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I'm beginning to think Hardaway will be our 5th starter on opening night and the job will be his to lose as the season progresses.

Luka/Brunson/Barea
Wright/Seth/Lee
THJ/Jackson/Broekoff
KP/Maxi/DFS
Powell/Boban/Holman?

I'm warming up to this lineup. THJ, imo, is our X-factor for being a playoff team. His range of production is from net on-court negative to legit 2nd scoring option: this could swing us in either direction.

Curry is probably the safest option to start, but we're not fully going to know what we have in THJ if he's just a hole-plugging bench guy. Our max potential with this roster is only reached if THJ can play with Luka and KP.

Don't like it defensively whatsoever. He isn't efficient enough offensively to be worth it. Gimme Curry/JJ if you want the offense, or DFS if you want the defense.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Teffer10 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 9:47 pm

Dundalis wrote:
bobsquad wrote:

Luka/Brunson/Barea
Wright/Seth/Lee
THJ/Jackson/Broekoff
KP/Maxi/DFS
Powell/Boban/Holman?

Don't like it defensively whatsoever. He isn't efficient enough offensively to be worth it. Gimme Curry/JJ if you want the offense, or DFS if you want the defense.

I'm giving THJ one more chance before I make a judgement. He has never played with multiple great players and has always seem to try to take on a bigger role to be a goto guy. Now he is playing with some star power and he could be maturing to a point where he will understand his role and play within it. I like what I'm seeing with his attitude and approach to this season.

The defense is certainly a concern but if he truly commits to his role he will improve in that area. He doesn't have to be a stopper but good enough to stay on the court against teams with elite wings and not become a liability. If he can do that, and become a consistent shooter/scorer, he will fit the starting lineup.

I can't see Rick putting nothing but defenders with Luka and KP. Wright is more of a defender than scorer so I'm really beginning to think they will give the opportunity to THJ first, then maybe try Jackson or DFS, then make a trade by the TDL if none of them pan out. That is how I see this thing playing out this season.

Return to Dallas Mavericks