ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,317

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1461 » by Triple7 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:31 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
Triple7 wrote:The Jaylen situation is very confusing. We all know he’s expecting a max offer, and that team’s would probably offer him somewhere close to it, if not the max. The problem is, while i think he has an outside chance to be good, i don’t think he can show that to us this year. Playing behind Kemba, Tatum, hayward, and may be Kanter on offense. My hope is that he turns out like a Pippen type of player, and complementing Kemba and Tatum. The thing is, i don’t think we can see his true potential next season, and his actual play right now wouldn’t justify paying him 33M per year. If we could find a deal around 25M on a four year deal with team option, that would be ideal.

Jaylen like Pippen is a defensive stopper and a very good one. The problem is we already have Smart who is even better. And behind Smart we have Ojele who is capable in that role. How many defensive stoppers does one team need? What we don’t have unless Hayward regains form is a 40% plus 3 point shooter.

Are you a Celtics fan? Had no idea, tbh, I've seen you post thought you were a Kings' fan.

Btw, to me I think the offense will be great, problem is defense. Horford is LARGELY underrated defender, he is a poor man's Tim Duncan and I'm not even joking. Dude does absolutely everything on defense. Kemba's offense will improve, and he's a better defender than Kyrie according to stats. Also Kemba's 2 best teammates were Batum and Lamb, so his shooting numbers wont be great. Biggest loss right now is easily Horford, that's why Ainge was pissed about him having an agreement with 6ers way before FA started. :lol: I have a feel Ainge wasn't gonna offer 80+ mils on 3 years and 50% guarantee in the 4th like the 6ers did. Rumors were he offered 3-70(75) according to some of the known insiders on twitter.

I think wing defense will be okay, but big men are gonna have to put in some work. I'm counting on Theis and Poirier to step up. Theis' defensive stats are pretty good and he's gonna have a much bigger role this year. Poirier was very good for France in the World cup. Better athlete than Baynes, better shot blocker and rebounder, taller, younger, but can't shoot 3s.

Oh and when it comes to offense, as I wrote above I doubt it will be that big of a problem. The rebounding should improve as well with Kanter/Theis/Poirier, Horfie ain't too strong on the boards(his main weakness imo)... The offense should be good, too, cause Irving left and the ball will be moving. I expect Hayward to run half of our offense(initiating, etc), maybe 30-40% in Kemba's hands and then the young guys.

I agree with this. I think our offense would be miles better this season. Our rebounding would be better, and that would translate to easy fastbreaks, which i think brown and Tatum would flourish. We also have a good post up player in Kanter, which we don’t have the option last year. Im also hoping Poirier as well. Im sick of all 3pt jacking contest that we do on offense and all the dribble dribble dribble that kyrie does. I’m expecting a better and faster ball movement this season, especially sonce most of our ball stoppers are gone. Our defense could be a problem, but i’d like to see what Brad does, and i think Kanter could improve. Poirier and RWill could be defensive stoppers this season. Lets see what happens. I’m excited for the season to start.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1462 » by Sactowndog » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:36 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
Triple7 wrote:The Jaylen situation is very confusing. We all know he’s expecting a max offer, and that team’s would probably offer him somewhere close to it, if not the max. The problem is, while i think he has an outside chance to be good, i don’t think he can show that to us this year. Playing behind Kemba, Tatum, hayward, and may be Kanter on offense. My hope is that he turns out like a Pippen type of player, and complementing Kemba and Tatum. The thing is, i don’t think we can see his true potential next season, and his actual play right now wouldn’t justify paying him 33M per year. If we could find a deal around 25M on a four year deal with team option, that would be ideal.

Jaylen like Pippen is a defensive stopper and a very good one. The problem is we already have Smart who is even better. And behind Smart we have Ojele who is capable in that role. How many defensive stoppers does one team need? What we don’t have unless Hayward regains form is a 40% plus 3 point shooter.

Are you a Celtics fan? Had no idea, tbh, I've seen you post thought you were a Kings' fan.

Btw, to me I think the offense will be great, problem is defense. Horford is LARGELY underrated defender, he is a poor man's Tim Duncan and I'm not even joking. Dude does absolutely everything on defense. Kemba's offense will improve, and he's a better defender than Kyrie according to stats. Also Kemba's 2 best teammates were Batum and Lamb, so his shooting numbers wont be great. Biggest loss right now is easily Horford, that's why Ainge was pissed about him having an agreement with 6ers way before FA started. :lol: I have a feel Ainge wasn't gonna offer 80+ mils on 3 years and 50% guarantee in the 4th like the 6ers did. Rumors were he offered 3-70(75) according to some of the known insiders on twitter.

I think wing defense will be okay, but big men are gonna have to put in some work. I'm counting on Theis and Poirier to step up. Theis' defensive stats are pretty good and he's gonna have a much bigger role this year. Poirier was very good for France in the World cup. Better athlete than Baynes, better shot blocker and rebounder, taller, younger, but can't shoot 3s.

Oh and when it comes to offense, as I wrote above I doubt it will be that big of a problem. The rebounding should improve as well with Kanter/Theis/Poirier, Horfie ain't too strong on the boards(his main weakness imo)... The offense should be good, too, cause Irving left and the ball will be moving. I expect Hayward to run half of our offense(initiating, etc), maybe 30-40% in Kemba's hands and then the young guys.

I live in CA but have a relative in the Organization. As a result, despite long hating the Celtics, I am now invested in their success. I also have Celtics gear in my closet which, quite frankly, burned when I first put it on. Lol
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#1463 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:49 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

I live in CA but have a relative in the Organization. As a result, despite long hating the Celtics, I am now invested in their success. I also have Celtics gear in my closet which, quite frankly, burned when I first put it on. Lol

Soo, you aren't a C's fan and as soon as your relative leaves the organization one way or the other, you wouldn't care(go back to hating the C's). :D Gotcha.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#1464 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:40 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

You're lucky that they didn't work for the Knicks or Hornets instead.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#1465 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

Pretty good take, Fencer.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Sactowndog

Post#1466 » by Sactowndog » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

True :-)
Sactowndog

Post#1467 » by Sactowndog » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:49 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

Soo, you aren't a C's fan and as soon as your relative leaves the organization one way or the other, you wouldn't care(go back to hating the C's). :D Gotcha.

Let’s just say I’m materially tied to their success. And since many people in the organization have been wonderful to our relatives, I certainly won’t go back to hating them. But given how people move around I figured it’s pointless to change my handle with each move hence I’m still Sactowndog.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,642

Post#1468 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,220

Post#1469 » by reload141 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:42 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Hayward was a straight up killer in the practices last year too, it just didn't transition to real games... hoping that changes this year though obviously!
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,317

Post#1470 » by Triple7 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:46 am

reload141 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Hayward was a straight up killer in the practices last year too, it just didn't transition to real games... hoping that changes this year though obviously!

It’s really hard for a player coming back from a devastating injury and a long rehab process. He may be healthy physically, and practices are a lot different when you know the risk of re injury is lower compared to actual games. The mental part is the harder part to hurdle. Last year, though healthy, he’s afraid of re-injury and going through all the process again. That’s why he’s tentative and sometimes he looks like coasting out there. This season would be different. I’m sure he’ll get back to pre-injury form, which would give us another all star level player. If not, then this would probably be his new norm, and would just be a good role player at best. I have high hopes for hayward this season though.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1471 » by Ernest » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:28 am

Yeah, seems like it's a mental thing with Hayward. By now he should be 100% healthy right? I can understand being scared of getting hurt again, or on looking foolish on a subconscious level, but I hope he can snap out of it. It is a risk, but he needs to take it. To just keep playing it safe like he did last year isn't really an option if he wants to stay in the league long term.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#1472 » by Taget » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:57 pm

100proof wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Danny’s talking trades - https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/will-trader-danny-ainge-be-more-active-season-celtics :

Well aware of the team’s depth at the wing and dearth of proven talent in the frontcourt, Ainge admits that he might have to move one of his wings in order to shore up the team’s frontcourt.

“So the question is, do you trade for need or do you trade for talent?” Ainge said. “Because I think we have some really talented wings. And we have some uncertainty at the 4 [power forward] and the 5 [center]. So, let’s hope our fours and fives can play as well as we hope they can and we can keep our talented wings because we need a lot of them.”

Ainge knows trading players is a reality that comes with the job.

That doesn’t make it any easier, though.

“I invest a lot emotionally with the kids … trading is hard,” Ainge said. “Trading a player that you drafted, that you develop a relationship with, root for every second, get to know their families, that’s really hard. That’s a really hard process. But that’s just part of the job. It’s a hard job and that’s the hardest part of it, is trading away players. But ultimately we have to do what’s best.”

******Warning incoming purely speculative post

If he trades a wing Hayward is his first choice as he is not really a kid, has not been drafted by danny nor has he been rooted for every second of his career.

I'll repeat my constant prediction. It will be between Jaylen Brown and Gordan Hayward. Whichever one plays BETTER will be traded as they will have the most trade value. Right now that looks like Jaylen but if Gordon can make a big comeback he may earn the right to be traded to a team like the Hawks.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1473 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:43 pm

I think it will depend on the offers for each of them, too - but if Hayward is all the way back we could have a two, three year window with him and Kemba, at most..
ThirtyFour
Starter
And1: 3,477

Post#1474 » by ThirtyFour » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:46 pm

Apologies if already posted but wow... this is strange looking.
Read on Twitter
“There’s a sense of pride, there’s an edge you have to have to play here. I can only imagine the love, the reception, if you hung one of those banners up. It would be incredible — it’s going to be incredible. I know it.” —Jayson Tatum
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1475 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:51 am

reload141 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Really? Sh*t.. First I’ve heard.. no wonder Brad was trying to feed him minutes.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#1476 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:56 am

Ernest wrote:Yeah, seems like it's a mental thing with Hayward. By now he should be 100% healthy right? I can understand being scared of getting hurt again, or on looking foolish on a subconscious level, but I hope he can snap out of it. It is a risk, but he needs to take it. To just keep playing it safe like he did last year isn't really an option if he wants to stay in the league long term.

He is 100% for sure. He's been working the entire summer according to teammates and coaches and at times twice a day. I expect him coming out for blood this year.
Good assessment:

Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#1477 » by Banks2Pierce » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:03 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Ernest wrote:Yeah, seems like it's a mental thing with Hayward. By now he should be 100% healthy right? I can understand being scared of getting hurt again, or on looking foolish on a subconscious level, but I hope he can snap out of it. It is a risk, but he needs to take it. To just keep playing it safe like he did last year isn't really an option if he wants to stay in the league long term.

He is 100% for sure. He's been working the entire summer according to teammates and coaches and at times twice a day. I expect him coming out for blood this year.

I'll believe it when I see it. Can't be fooled by puff pieces about how he dominated Bradley Beal in 1v1 again. I doubt that he could get back to 100% physically based on how he looked last year. I feel like the people that think it's more mental than physical are straight up wrong. He had no burst or hangtime compared to what he used to have and losing 10% of that can be deadly.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#1478 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:33 pm

I dont remember him ever having incredible burst or hangtime. I do think he looked a step slow, but dont know how much of it was physical/mental.

But i do think it looked like he spent the entire time he was hurt in the weight room, and was maybe a little bulkier than he was used to being.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#1479 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:40 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:I dont remember him ever having incredible burst or hangtime. I do think he looked a step slow, but dont know how much of it was physical/mental.

But i do think it looked like he spent the entire time he was hurt in the weight room, and was maybe a little bulkier than he was used to being.

Watch his highlights from his last season in Utah. Dude was dunking all over people and his change of pace was fantastic.
Good assessment:

LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#1480 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:47 pm

reload141 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I think that goes beyond his injury. Hayward, more than anyone else on the team IMO was hurt by the selfish style of play that our Kyrie led team played last year. Hayward's skillset is particularly oriented towards Brad's system that we ran every year except for last.

Return to Boston Celtics