NBA Rejects Rockets' 'Likely Bonus' Deal With Nene

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NBA Rejects Rockets' 'Likely Bonus' Deal With Nene 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:08 pm

The Houston Rockets' contract with Nene including "likely" bonuses won't be allowed by the NBA.

Nene's deal will include the $2.6 million in base salary.

Nene had bonuses in the deal of more than $7 million, which would have turned his contract into a major trade chip.

While the contract didn't explicitly violate the collective bargaining agreement, it has essentially been ruled that it violated the spirt of it.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Re: NBA Rejects Rockets' 'Likely Bonus' Deal With Nene 

Post#2 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:31 pm

"If ya ain't cheatin', ya ain't tryin!"

I definitely feel like this was the boldest attempt I've ever heard to fabricate a trade asset through a player contract. I can't knock the Rockets for it, though. I'm just glad the league stepped in, even if their justification is a little bit subjective.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Ryan91729
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#3 » by Ryan91729 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Good move, had it been approved everybody would start doing it and the rich would all get richer.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#4 » by LakersLegacy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Good move. It was manipulating the spirit of the game. Almost as much as flopping.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#5 » by jstudabaka » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:39 pm

Another self-own by Morey
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#6 » by kobyz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Rockets should take NBA to court for this, if it's in the role, it's in the role!
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,563

Post#7 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:25 pm

Miami heat did the same thing to get Mike Miller, NBA picks and chooses when to enforce rules and when not too. I guess if it helps if it's for LeBron huh

In Raptor Ball I Trust
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#8 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:43 am

I agree in principle with both sides. However the slope gets slippery (as Cuban once remarked) once other teams are emboldened to try... perhaps this is the best course of action. This of course begs the question: What now happens to Nene?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
3baller9
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#9 » by 3baller9 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:01 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:Miami heat did the same thing to get Mike Miller, NBA picks and chooses when to enforce rules and when not too. I guess if it helps if it's for LeBron huh
No, they did not. Miller got a full mid-level exception and at a time that meant 1/10 of the salary cap.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,666

Post#10 » by scrabbarista » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:06 am

I would be outraged if the NBA blocked my favorite team from completing a deal that was 100% within the rules, but since it's not my favorite team, I fully support this arbitrary, subjective, and authoritarian action.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#11 » by scrabbarista » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:10 am

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:I agree in principle with both sides. However the slope gets slippery (as Cuban once remarked) once other teams are emboldened to try... perhaps this is the best course of action. This of course begs the question: What now happens to Nene?

The slippery slope goes both ways. If the NBA can block this because it violates the spirit, they can block anything that violates the spirit. That's why we have rules. To avoid slippery slopes.
BasketballJunky
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#12 » by BasketballJunky » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:44 am

Update: nene gets paid but bonuses cannot be used in a trade.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#13 » by HIF » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:30 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:Miami heat did the same thing to get Mike Miller, NBA picks and chooses when to enforce rules and when not too. I guess if it helps if it's for LeBron huh

I don't think your facts are correct there but obviously you have your own agenda.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,729

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:00 pm

scrabbarista wrote:I would be outraged if the NBA blocked my favorite team from completing a deal that was 100% within the rules, but since it's not my favorite team, I fully support this arbitrary, subjective, and authoritarian action.

It's hardly arbitrary.

There is absolutely no reason for this contract except cap circumvention. The fact the NBA has the right to disallow a contract means they gave themselves the power to deal with situations like this where someone invents a construct that goes against the intention of the cap that wasn't previously foreseen.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#15 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:02 pm

scrabbarista wrote:The slippery slope goes both ways. If the NBA can block this because it violates the spirit, they can block anything that violates the spirit. That's why we have rules. To avoid slippery slopes.

The NBA probably does have the authority to block anything that violates the intention of the cap or intention of the league in order to protect the league. They probably can do that. It isn't a slippery slope. The intention is to protect the integrity of the game.

This contract was created with the sole purpose of circumventing the cap.
@doug_thonus on twitter
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#16 » by scrabbarista » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:35 pm

dougthonus wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:The slippery slope goes both ways. If the NBA can block this because it violates the spirit, they can block anything that violates the spirit. That's why we have rules. To avoid slippery slopes.

The NBA probably does have the authority to block anything that violates the intention of the cap or intention of the league in order to protect the league. They probably can do that. It isn't a slippery slope. The intention is to protect the integrity of the game.

This contract was created with the sole purpose of circumventing the cap.

The NBA blocked this because they felt it made them look stupid, IMHO. "Circumventing the cap" is a meaningless phrase. What actually happened is that the team used the rules to gain an advantage, which is no different than what all 30 teams are trying to do with every contract they sign. Are NBA refs going to start saying, "Well, to be honest, you didn't break any rule, but we feel like you violated the spirit of the rules, so we're going to have to just take the ball away from you. We don't have a specific call, so just make one up yourself. The point is... you know... the... spirit?"

EDIT: Now that I think about it, that's kind of what happened to James Harden in the 2018 WCF. Eh. Maybe that's just life in the NBA. Fairness and equal competition be damned. I'm not going to die on this hill.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#17 » by njknicks » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Rockets once again showing the knack for salary cap magic.

The reality is that teams will be getting ultra creative to attract as much talent on the teams - the money to be made will be astronomical once the NBA truly ventures into international territory in the next 10 years (i.e. NBA Euro, NBA Asia, NBA Africa leagues ).

The question is what is the tolerance level for the owners / commissioner on the amount of financial "creativity"?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#18 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:07 pm

scrabbarista wrote:The NBA blocked this because they felt it made them look stupid, IMHO. "Circumventing the cap" is a meaningless phrase.

The NBA blocked it because the deal was exploitative and did not have legitimate intent. I applaud the Rockets for their creativity, but I also applaud the NBA for saying, no this is a loop hole, and we're not going to let you use it, we're going to close it immediately rather than let you use it.

What actually happened is that the team used the rules to gain an advantage, which is no different than what all 30 teams are trying to do with every contract they sign. Are NBA refs going to start saying, "Well, to be honest, you didn't break any rule, but we feel like you violated the spirit of the rules, so we're going to have to just take the ball away from you. We don't have a specific call, so just make one up yourself. The point is... you know... the... spirit?"

If the NBA has the right to disallow contracts then that is also part of the rules isn't it. In which case, no rule was broken by the NBA. They have a final right to void contracts that they don't think are within the spirit of the rules, and you know darn well this one wasn't. There was no intent to pay Nene this money.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, that's kind of what happened to James Harden in the 2018 WCF. Eh. Maybe that's just life in the NBA. Fairness and equal competition be damned. I'm not going to die on this hill.

I have no idea what you're talking about here.
@doug_thonus on twitter
DreamTeam09
RealGM

Post#19 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:42 pm

HIF wrote:

I don't think your facts are correct there but obviously you have your own agenda.

When Miami big 3 came together the 1st year, they all had "likely incentives in their deals" the incentives were that they had to win 47 games to trigger the bonuses. Since their cap number was at a lower than the expected cap hit to begin the year, they used that money to sign Mike miller. They went to wln to win more than 47 games that year.

What facts do i have wrong ??

In Raptor Ball I Trust
DreamTeam09
RealGM

Post#20 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:43 pm

3baller9 wrote:
No, they did not. Miller got a full mid-level exception and at a time that meant 1/10 of the salary cap.

When Miami big 3 came together the 1st year, they all had "likely incentives in their deals" the incentives were that they had to win 47 games to trigger the bonuses. Since their cap number was at a lower than the expected cap hit to begin the year, they used that money to sign Mike miller. They went to wln to win more than 47 games that year.

What facts do i have wrong ??

In Raptor Ball I Trust

Return to Wiretap Discussion