NBA Considering New Anti-Tampering Measure

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Considering New Anti-Tampering Measure 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Adam Silver is proposing a new anti-tampering proposal at this week's Board of Governors meeting.

In an effort to enforce existing rules regarding tampering, the league could vote on whether to approve an annual, random auditing of five teams' communications with rival front offices and player agents. 

The owners have wanted the NBA to help level the playing field.

The NBA must receive 23 "yes" votes to approve the new measure.

Teams and league officials will address questions about privacy and the specifics of enforcement.

Silver already has authority to investigate allegations of tampering, including reviewing text messages and other forms of communications.

"I don't think he should have any right to get into my phone," one GM told ESPN. "I wish my owner would vote no, but I doubt he will. You'll only make yourself a target for investigation if you do."

Some executives and agents are planning to wean themselves off electronic communication.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski, Zach Lowe/ESPN

Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Re: NBA Considering New Anti-Tampering Measure 

Post#2 » by Metallikid » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:30 am

It is increasingly becoming clear in society that certain positions of high status intrinsically come with the loss of some freedoms and some privacy.
the13thjoker
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#3 » by the13thjoker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:06 am

If they're using business phones what's the problem? Good luck doing business without electronic communication though.
geezr714
Junior
And1: 481

Post#4 » by geezr714 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:45 am

Nice. GM's are gonna start using pigeons to relay a message now.
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Post#5 » by ishoy123 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:33 pm

the13thjoker wrote:If they're using business phones what's the problem? Good luck doing business without electronic communication though.

What about, you know, just talking. Like in person.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:09 pm

ishoy123 wrote:
the13thjoker wrote:If they're using business phones what's the problem? Good luck doing business without electronic communication though.

Just depends how far the NBA is willing to go, and generally the answer has been only far enough to make it seem like they're doing something about a problem.

otoh, a little consistency and enforcement would go a long way towards making sure the ethical GMs and agents behave themselves.

First thing they need to do is expand their scope to player reps not just agents otherwise the World Wide Wes's of the league will continue to broker deals behind the scenes,
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#7 » by Revenged25 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:27 pm

ishoy123 wrote:

pssh screw talking in person. I'd go full Courier Pigeon on their rears.
cthunshammer
Sophomore
And1: 165

Post#8 » by cthunshammer » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:15 pm

"I don't think he should have any right to get into my phone," one GM told ESPN.

Not your phone, your company's phone. They have every right to do whatever they want with it.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#9 » by Barcs » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Tampering will still happen, there is no point in fighting it. The NBA even has a "legal tampering" period, that doesn't help their cause.

I agree if it's strictly business phones, it's fair. But if they are monitoring personal devices as well, then it's a violation of privacy. And if they are not monitoring personal phones, what's to stop GMs from tampering using their personal phones? It's a catch 22 that solves nothing.

I think they just need to leave it alone. If a player wants to go and talk to other teams through back channels, it's still going to happen, no matter what silly policies they try to implement. Are they going to force all players to wear recording devices every time they hang out with a friend who plays on a different team?
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:

Return to Wiretap Discussion