NBA Warned Clippers To Stop Sending Representatives To Kawhi Leonard's Games In Toronto

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

NBA Warned Clippers To Stop Sending Representatives To Kawhi Leonard's Games In Toronto 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:17 pm

The Los Angeles Clippers were known to frequently send members of their staff to watch Kawhi Leonard play during his season with the Toronto Raptors.

Steve Ballmer, Lawrence Frank and other team representatives occasionally made appearances at Scotiabank Arena as well.

“I got a lot of credit, and so did Jerry West, but the guy that was the hero in all this was Lawrence Frank,” Doc Rivers said. “He did all the work. He had Steve Ballmer going to Raptors games and he went to some, too. We were warned that no more Clippers players, coaches or employees could go to games in Toronto. We were sending guys to go sit in the stands. 

“There was nothing wrong with what we were doing, but Steve Ballmer sitting courtside in Toronto seemed a little strange. But we didn’t say a word. We just wanted [Leonard] to know we were there and we were interested.”

The Clippers had been optimistic of their odds of signing Leonard, but the Los Angeles Lakers' ability to pair him with LeBron James and Anthony Davis was an obstacle.

“We had a meeting with Kawhi at my house in Malibu and we felt we had the inside position,” Rivers said. “The Lakers had a meeting with Kawhi and they built this whole thing up for him to come to their new practice facility and he said, ‘No, you can come to my hotel room.’ But with us he said, ‘Yes, I’ll come to your house.’ When we heard that it felt like he was telling us he wants to come here.”

Rivers had never spoken with Leonard before the Clippers' meeting.

“I actually tried to speak to him last season a couple times as he was walking by and you get nothing out of him. Nothing,” Rivers said. “He comes into this meeting and he shakes our hands and he’s talking. We were prepared for a meeting where we would have to drag things out of him. Instead, he’s the one talking and finally he tells us exactly what the deal is.

“He said, ‘I want to play for you,’ and he pointed at me. He said, ‘Mr. Ballmer, I love the things you do and what you stand for, but your team is not good enough and if you don’t change your team, I’m not coming.’ ”

Via Arash Markazi/Los Angeles Times

cavs4872
Senior
And1: 242

Re: NBA Warned Clippers To Stop Sending Representatives To Kawhi Leonard's Games In Toronto 

Post#2 » by cavs4872 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:37 pm

This Clippers team is still pretty bad. They could use that veteran piece like a Joe Johnson. He doesn't solve your problems, but I would eyeball Carmelo if I were them.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Re: NBA Warned Clippers To Stop Sending Representatives To Kawhi Leonard's Games In Toronto 

Post#3 » by EAS Law » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:27 pm

cavs4872 wrote:This Clippers team is still pretty bad. They could use that veteran piece like a Joe Johnson. He doesn't solve your problems, but I would eyeball Carmelo if I were them.

I’m not sure how they are “pretty bad” with both PG13 and Leonard on the team. When you add Lou Will, that alone will propel you to “pretty good”.

While I believe Melo is being black-listed, it’s probably not widely accepted that his presence would make even a noticeable difference for a team in the Clippers’ position.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,119

Post#4 » by Revived » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:03 pm

cavs4872 wrote:This Clippers team is still pretty bad. They could use that veteran piece like a Joe Johnson. He doesn't solve your problems, but I would eyeball Carmelo if I were them.

Lol Kawhi, George, LouWill, Beverly and Harrell. Plus a bunch more good role players.

If Doc doesn’t screw this up, it can be a team better than the Heatles ever was. The depth and quality of roster is incredible.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:07 pm

Green font works better for posts like this.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 242

Post#6 » by cavs4872 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:45 pm

EAS Law wrote:

I’m not sure how they are “pretty bad” with both PG13 and Leonard on the team. When you add Lou Will, that alone will propel you to “pretty good”.

The depth and surrounding pieces are pretty weak aside from Lou Will and Harrell. I know PG is versatile af, but you never want both your star players to be the same position.

The best lineup is what, Bev-Lou Will-Kawhi-PG-Harrell? That doesn't even sniff the balance of the Raptors.

You guys will love this, but I don't see them being much better than last year's Clippers. We'll see come April. An injury to one of the big two and they're toast, unless Kawhi carries like never before.

Revived wrote:If Doc doesn’t screw this up, it can be a team better than the Heatles ever was. The depth and quality of roster is incredible.

Y'all are ****' trippin'; that was three bonafide hall of famers vs. two. The Heat had a way better role player core too, including a Hall of Famer in Ray Allen.

I'll give them a 4/5 seed.
PHXCavaliers
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#7 » by PHXCavaliers » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:13 am

cavs4872 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:

The depth and surrounding pieces are pretty weak aside from Lou Will and Harrell. I know PG is versatile af, but you never want both your star players to be the same position.

The best lineup is what, Bev-Lou Will-Kawhi-PG-Harrell? That doesn't even sniff the balance of the Raptors.

You guys will love this, but I don't see them being much better than last year's Clippers. We'll see come April. An injury to one of the big two and they're toast, unless Kawhi carries like never before.

Revived wrote:If Doc doesn’t screw this up, it can be a team better than the Heatles ever was. The depth and quality of roster is incredible.

Y'all are ****' trippin'; that was three bonafide hall of famers vs. two. The Heat had a way better role player core too, including a Hall of Famer in Ray Allen.

I want to agree and lean towards actually agreeing with you.... besides the fact Bosh is in no way shape or form a bonafide HOF'er
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,717

Post#8 » by BoyzNTheHood » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:14 am

Of course, had this situation been the other way around the Clippers would have been furious if another team did this to recruit their star. Then again, double standards are rarely ever logical.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Anthoine
Junior
And1: 35

Post#9 » by Anthoine » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:35 am

Revived wrote:

Lol Kawhi, George, LouWill, Beverly and Harrell. Plus a bunch more good role players.

If Doc doesn’t screw this up, it can be a team better than the Heatles ever was. The depth and quality of roster is incredible.

What....that team is actually trash outside of the ones you mentioned -_- . Tbh without an effective big the can space the floor on that squad I don’t think that team will go as far as people anticipate. I’m not even a lakers fan but I believe lakers have them beat by a long shot. Who on that roster is guarding AD? I don’t even think anyone on that roster can guard an injured d12 lmao. Kawhi had a luxury in Toronto playing with outside bigs. He could drive and the paint would never be clogged. Any defending big that tried to help would pay the price with a kick out three from gasol or ibaka or pascal. That luxury is not there for kawhi or pg now. Don’t you dare mention Patrick Patterson.....only time will tell how they do but I don’t think they will do as well as people think.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#10 » by Sam195 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:09 am

PHXCavaliers wrote:
cavs4872 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:I’m not sure how they are “pretty bad” with both PG13 and Leonard on the team. When you add Lou Will, that alone will propel you to “pretty good”.

I want to agree and lean towards actually agreeing with you.... besides the fact Bosh is in no way shape or form a bonafide HOF'er

LMFAO are you high - Bosh is a guaranteed first ballot Hofer there isn't even a debate unless u seriously f***** in the head. He was the 2B option behind Lebron during those 4 seasons where they went to 4 finals and won 2 titles. Bosh was also a top 15 nba player stats wise when he was a Raptor helping that franchise make the playoffs on more than one occasion and win it's first division title ever in 2007. Bosh also had the market value of a superstar in his prime in 2014 free agency after Lebron bolted back to the Cavs. If I recall three teams in the Rockets, Lakers and Nuggets all offered Bosh a 4 year $88M max which forced the Heat's hand to offer him the 5 year $118M max to resign with the franchise and be the number one option. Bosh had two hot starts making the allstar game and that first season in 14-15 even being mentioned in the mvp conversation before he had each season shutdown with serious blood clot issues including his selection for the 2016 NBA Allstar Game being held for the first time ever by his former team in Toronto. Bosh also grabbed the key rebound and passed the ball to Ray Allen in the infamous Game 6 shot that helped the Heat extend their 2013 nba final series with the Spurs and ultimately win a title. If Bosh was healthy and producing today like he did those two Heat seasons cut short by blood clots he'd actually be a max player right now. Lmfao Paul Millsap is making like $30M this season and Al Horford just signed for 4 years $109M with the Sixers - a healthy Bosh is a way better player, leader and championship experienced veteran than either of those two who can stretch the floor, rebound, post up if necessary and defend both bigs in the post and perimeter players on the wing. He is the original stretch 4 before the phrase became normalized in today's nba. And if I recall he held the title of the best mid-range shooter in the nba his entire run with the Heat and even Erik Spolestra made comments recently that such a skill is invaluable in today's nba where every team, player and their grandma is jacking up threes and being guarded on the perimeter leaving significant space open both in the mid range and paint making the players who can score jump shots or post up while also stretching the floor like Bosh ridiculously lethal.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#11 » by Sam195 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:16 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:Of course, had this situation been the other way around the Clippers would have been furious if another team did this to recruit their star. Then again, double standards are rarely ever logical.

Lol remember the Clippers-Mavs Deandre debacle of 2015 this team even under Ballmer's ownership is as corrupt and dysfunctional as they were under Sterling's reign aside from the racism scandal. The only difference is Clippers have wooed two home grown superstars clearly by waiving improper side benefits in addition to their max salaries/contracts and the appeal of christening a brand new arena with the potential to win the first championship for a local franchise that is not the Lakers in the same city they and their family are from and they themselves prefer to live in and play for.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#12 » by LloydFree » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:26 am

PHXCavaliers wrote:
cavs4872 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:I’m not sure how they are “pretty bad” with both PG13 and Leonard on the team. When you add Lou Will, that alone will propel you to “pretty good”.

Bosh may not be a bonafide HO'Famer, but he's 10x better than any of Harrell, Lou Williams or Beverly. Those three guys are more along the lines of Mike Miller and James Jones than anything close to Bosh.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,072

Where See Bad? 

Post#13 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:33 am

How bad are the Clippers? Is it health, size, and play-making bad? Leonard and George are injury prone (George is expected to miss the first six weeks of the regular season), Ivica Zubac is their only seven foot guy (and there's a belief the Clippers did this on purpose to put a sense of trust and urgency on his shoulders a la DeAndre Jordan), and there's no true point guards (which is actually a good thing in that it's better to pretend to be a point guard than it is to pretend to be a small forward, a weakness of Lob City that many teams exploited with ease).

Or, is it bad in the sense of their losing history? They've never gotten past the 2nd round then, they'll never get past it now. That was under Donald Sterling and his twisted ownership. Steve Ballmer bought the team, but his purchase only served to erase the Sterling stench; it's Jerry West who has finished the job. They might finally make the conference finals simply for having West.
Batsy
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#14 » by Batsy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 am

PHXCavaliers wrote:
cavs4872 wrote:

Neither is PG, he has been a failure as a lead star and a co-star. He got torched by a rookie 2 years ago and had one the biggest playoff shots nailed in his face. He has no choice, but to hoop on Kawhi's back for a free championship ride.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,119

Post#15 » by Revived » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:23 am

Anthoine wrote:
Revived wrote:

What....that team is actually trash outside of the ones you mentioned -_- . Tbh without an effective big the can space the floor on that squad I don’t think that team will go as far as people anticipate. I’m not even a lakers fan but I believe lakers have them beat by a long shot. Who on that roster is guarding AD? I don’t even think anyone on that roster can guard an injured d12 lmao. Kawhi had a luxury in Toronto playing with outside bigs. He could drive and the paint would never be clogged. Any defending big that tried to help would pay the price with a kick out three from gasol or ibaka or pascal. That luxury is not there for kawhi or pg now. Don’t you dare mention Patrick Patterson.....only time will tell how they do but I don’t think they will do as well as people think.

Who on the Lakers is guarding Kawhi or George? LeBron has already shown that he’s too old to play defense anymore and he would likely get Beverly or something. Kuzma ain’t guarding anyone and AD can’t guard out on the perimeter full time.

Kawhi can guard AD better than anyone on the Lakers can guard either him or George.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#16 » by Bentley1225 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:02 pm

I’m glad that what the Clippers did will now force league to change tampering rules. Good luck trying to win a title Ballmer/Rivers, you’ve got a 2 year window.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#17 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Batsy wrote:
PHXCavaliers wrote:
cavs4872 wrote:The depth and surrounding pieces are pretty weak aside from Lou Will and Harrell. I know PG is versatile af, but you never want both your star players to be the same position.

Neither is PG, he has been a failure as a lead star and a co-star. He got torched by a rookie 2 years ago and had one the biggest playoff shots nailed in his face. He has no choice, but to hoop on Kawhi's back for a free championship ride.

9ne of the biggest playoff shots nailed in his face lol that gave me a good laugh it's true and it did break that team and PG13 was pretty bad on OKC playoff runs but so was westbrick.. PG13 was pretty good with Indiana.. All said he is coming off surgery it will be interesting.. I still don't think Kawhi is as good as LeBron no way no how and PG13 is not as good as AD.. I do prefer Lou Williams Harrell and Beverly as a line up to any 3 players Lakers can put with LeBron and AD that said I feel like LeBron and AD can overcome that deficit pretty handily..
CanesHeatFins
Senior
And1: 650

Post#18 » by CanesHeatFins » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Now imagine if the Lakers would have sent Magic Johnson to attend Raptor games....you think the Lakers would've have ONLY gotten a warning letter(a letter that the clips clearly ignored). LOL Lakers got frigen torched by the league for Magic saying Gianis is a great player.
Anthoine
Junior
And1: 35

Post#19 » by Anthoine » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Revived wrote:
Anthoine wrote:
Revived wrote:Lol Kawhi, George, LouWill, Beverly and Harrell. Plus a bunch more good role players.

Who on the Lakers is guarding Kawhi or George? LeBron has already shown that he’s too old to play defense anymore and he would likely get Beverly or something. Kuzma ain’t guarding anyone and AD can’t guard out on the perimeter full time.

Kawhi can guard AD better than anyone on the Lakers can guard either him or George.

Lol. If that’s your train of thought on how the lakers would play def I’ll just not even continue. After the last time Beverly guarded lebron that didn’t end up to well for Beverly. I’ll take my chances with lakers team def with the amount of defenders they have over Paul George and kawhi. Def is not played individually. If you realistically think kawhi is checking AD you’re not thinking logically. Let’s hypothetically use your matchup process. I’ll take Lebron posting Beverly every play down the floor... send help and it’s a kick out for three every play assuming ad lebron kuz green and Bradley are on the floor. I’m not disputing that kawhi or pg can’t play def. But the rest of that roster can’t hold their own.... I don’t even like the lakers. George is actually my fav player but I’m not really thinking biased here...
elgrandeques0
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#20 » by elgrandeques0 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:14 pm

cavs4872 wrote:
EAS Law wrote:

I'm pretty sure an injury to any teams top 2 players leaves you in a bad position... We even saw that with the most stacked team in history, the Warriors last year.

Portland without Lillard or CJ is going to be in trouble.
Lakers without AD or Lebron are gonna be in trouble.
Warriors without Klay are hurting.
Bucks without Giannis or Khris
We'll see how the Raptors look without Kawhi

You're argument is nonsense. The Clippers have two potential areas of weakness, the center position - which Zubac helped tremendously last season after acquisition - and a true creator for others.

Return to Wiretap Discussion