Tilman Fertitta Says Rockets, Carmelo Anthony Split 'Kinda Surprised Me'

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Tilman Fertitta Says Rockets, Carmelo Anthony Split 'Kinda Surprised Me' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Tilman Fertitta discussed a wide range of topics, including Carmelo Anthony's time with the Houston Rockets, during an interview with Ian Begley of SNY to promote his new book. 

Fertitta said that he never met Anthony during the forward's short stint with the Rockets.

"Basketball ops decided to make a decision and, you know, it kinda surprised me too, as a fan of the Houston Rockets. But I know what I know and I know what I don't know. And if my basketball ops thought that we should move on, then I sure wasn't going to tell them not to, even though I thought that Melo's one the greatest players to ever play the game," said Fertitta.

The Rockets owner, who added that Anthony should still be in the NBA, discussed the perception of how the transaction was handled.

"You know, I heard how my basketball ops people handled it. You hear different stories at different times and how different things are perceived. And it's disappointing that that's the way it was. But I just don't know enough facts about exactly how it went down."

Via Ian Begley/SNY

IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Re: Tilman Fertitta Says Rockets, Carmelo Anthony Split 'Kinda Surprised Me' 

Post#2 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:19 am

This is like one of the first times he's spoken with even a hint of understanding...
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:57 am

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:This is like one of the first times he's spoken with even a hint of understanding...

Lmfao the fact Melo and his camp were never formally introduced to the Rockets owner makes me think Daryl Morey had decided this was a huge chemistry gamble to begin with and was prepared to shelf Melo asap even after 10 games when he deemed the fit with the Rockets was not working out. Obviously their preference was to salary dump Melo's contract in a trade as oppose to waive/releasing him so they could avoid the cap hit and luxury tax from keeping his salary on their books. That is why Melo couldn't play till close to the trade deadline when he got traded to the Bulls and was waived but then no team just like now chose to sign him.

The Westbrook situation is different - the Rockets got rid of that awful CP3 contract in exchange for a younger player who is two seasons removed from an mvp year and all it cost them was two future first round picks that should land in the 20s and two pick swaps that likely go unused. Add to that Rockets got Westbrook to restructure the payment terms on his contract so they are not front loaded with hefty signing bonuses at the beginning of each season as well as getting him to opt into the fourth year option on his deal. I actually think Morey believes if the Westbrook-Harden tandem doesn't work in Houston he can flip Westbrook to another team be it mid-season before the trade deadline or in the off season for a return much higher than what he just gave up to OKC. He played Sam Presti like a fiddle again by making the OKC GM undervalue CP3's albatross contract just like he made him overvalue that reverse protected lottery pick in 2013 Houston got for Kyle Lowry from Toronto that became the centerpiece in the James Harden trade and ended up turning into Steven Adams who is not a superstar but actually an overpaid role player if he is not playing for a contender.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,420

Post#4 » by scrabbarista » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:55 am

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:This is like one of the first times he's spoken with even a hint of understanding...

I still feel sick every time I see a quote from him. This one makes as little sense as any. He says Melo was one of the greatest players to ever play and should still be in the NBA, but then tries to imply that he was completely divorced from anything to do with Melo's time in Houston.

Not his idea.

He didn't have any input.

He didn't even talk to the guy once.

To be clear, Fertitta was the owner for all three months from the time Melo signed to the time Melo played his last game. Then Melo was officially with the team another two and a half months. So, even if we're generous, that's three months. Seems weird that it never occurred to him to meet one of "the greatest players to ever play" in those three months.

Then he goes a step further, when, instead of defending his front office, people he presumably knows very well and has worked very closely with, he throws them under the bus by lending credibility to "what he heard," which was "disappointing." Fertitta has just been so fishy from day one. I miss Les Alexander every time he opens his mouth.

All of that said - and I could've said more - yes, this is somehow one of the most lucid Rockets statements I've seen from him. Hey, I'm still trying to give him the benefit of the doubts. It's just a lot of doubts in the wrong direction.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:18 pm

Sam195 wrote:

Lmfao the fact Melo and his camp were never formally introduced to the Rockets owner makes me think Daryl Morey had decided this was a huge chemistry gamble to begin with and was prepared to shelf Melo asap even after 10 games when he deemed the fit with the Rockets was not working out. Obviously their preference was to salary dump Melo's contract in a trade as oppose to waive/releasing him so they could avoid the cap hit and luxury tax from keeping his salary on their books. That is why Melo couldn't play till close to the trade deadline when he got traded to the Bulls and was waived but then no team just like now chose to sign him.

Do you honestly think that the GM could shield a player from meeting an owner for over 3 months? Why wasn’t Fertita present at the introductory press conference, training camp or any of the games? Why didn’t he pick up the phone at some point?

The reason Fertita never met Melo is he either couldn’t be bothered to take the time. He wasn’t around the team and he obviously didn’t think it was important.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,384

Post#6 » by Jody Smokz » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Melo was a vet minimum player on the team. Dude is a billionaire or whatever and he's not James Harden or CP3 was at the time on the team. Him not meeting Melo isnt all that surprising.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,538

Post#7 » by lonzo_pelota » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:06 pm

wow and then another wow at this comments.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#8 » by br7knicks » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:03 pm

how does the owner not know more facts?

that just makes you a bad owner.

the other reason you're a bad owner is that you approved bringing in carmelo and thought he would be helpful
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#9 » by likashing » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:20 am

He is the most outspoken and at the same time ignorant owner in the NBA right now.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.

Return to Wiretap Discussion