Dynasty League

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Re: Dynasty League 

Post#661 » by bigfoot » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:As an incoming owner who would be taking over batsmashers team, which is pretty damn talented, I will support a separate draft for incoming owners that consists of the players from teams that do not have returning owners. This sounds like the fairest option.

However I don’t think Bigfoot should simply be able to swap rosters like that. This is no different than me taking over batsmashers team. It seems arbitrary that I would be taking over batsmashers roster and it’s also arbitrary that he’d be taking over Kops. But if he’s upgrading to kops team then heck yeah I want batsmashers squad.

I agree the fairest way for the two new owners this year is to draft all available players from both teams. It's just last year the first person to bow out had a fairly weak team outside of Curry and maybe Covington, so bigfoot took it. Then two managers with pretty stacked teams dropped out so basically he got penalized for being the first person to volunteer to take a team.

Curry should go off this year though.

How many new managers do we have this year?
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,170

Post#662 » by MrMiyagi » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm up for whatever gets this ship moving fastest.

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,462

Post#663 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:59 pm

bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:As an incoming owner who would be taking over batsmashers team, which is pretty damn talented, I will support a separate draft for incoming owners that consists of the players from teams that do not have returning owners. This sounds like the fairest option.

However I don’t think Bigfoot should simply be able to swap rosters like that. This is no different than me taking over batsmashers team. It seems arbitrary that I would be taking over batsmashers roster and it’s also arbitrary that he’d be taking over Kops. But if he’s upgrading to kops team then heck yeah I want batsmashers squad.

I agree the fairest way for the two new owners this year is to draft all available players from both teams. It's just last year the first person to bow out had a fairly weak team outside of Curry and maybe Covington, so bigfoot took it. Then two managers with pretty stacked teams dropped out so basically he got penalized for being the first person to volunteer to take a team.

Curry should go off this year though.

How many new managers do we have this year?

One new one so far and one team no one has claimed yet, so we would have two.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#664 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:00 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:I'm up for whatever gets this ship moving fastest.

We really need to get the other leagues going. I sent batsmasher a PM about transferring the commish duties to Mathias.

We also need to figure out all the teams in each of the other leagues.
wordsenuff
Pro Prospect
And1: 355

Post#665 » by wordsenuff » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:47 pm

How do I go about seeing my team? I need to decide on my keepers but can’t find a link that shows me my complete roster. I remember most of my team but would still like to view over my players.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#666 » by MathiasPW » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:58 pm

wordsenuff wrote:How do I go about seeing my team? I need to decide on my keepers but can’t find a link that shows me my complete roster. I remember most of my team but would still like to view over my players.

The league hasn't been renewed yet, so if you just login to your yahoo you should still be able to see your full roster.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#667 » by MathiasPW » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Okay, I think I got all owners figured out and those who inherited a team. I pasted all this info in this link:

https://tinyurl.com/y49gf4to

We are giving all NEW owners from last year and this year the chance to enter a Keepers' Draft, where they'll place all their current players and draft new 8 keepers each. Then we'll procede to the normal , non-snake, 4-tiered draft ("normal").

These new owners are: bigfoot, Golanator and dmastro32 (2018), sunskerr (2019), and ONE MORE OPENING, which I'll wait til Friday to find, or we'll just play with 15 teams this season.

As of now, if we don't find a new owner, I'll put the departing team's players in the GENERAL pool, not the NEW MANAGERS pool, as it would give them an unfair boost. We are talking about 8 keepers here, so it would benefit those with lowest rankings only (draft tiers 1 and 2).
wordsenuff
Pro Prospect
And1: 355

Post#668 » by wordsenuff » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:35 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
wordsenuff wrote:How do I go about seeing my team? I need to decide on my keepers but can’t find a link that shows me my complete roster. I remember most of my team but would still like to view over my players.

The league hasn't been renewed yet, so if you just login to your yahoo you should still be able to see your full roster.

Wouldn’t let me do it on my phone, but worked on my computer. Thanks
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#669 » by Golanator » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:36 am

MathiasPW wrote:Okay, I think I got all owners figured out and those who inherited a team. I pasted all this info in this link:

We are giving all NEW owners from last year and this year the chance to enter a Keepers' Draft, where they'll place all their current players and draft new 8 keepers each. Then we'll procede to the normal , non-snake, 4-tiered draft ("normal").

These new owners are: bigfoot, Golanator and dmastro32 (2018), sunskerr (2019), and ONE MORE OPENING, which I'll wait til Friday to find, or we'll just play with 15 teams this season.

As of now, if we don't find a new owner, I'll put the departing team's players in the GENERAL pool, not the NEW MANAGERS pool, as it would give them an unfair boost. We are talking about 8 keepers here, so it would benefit those with lowest rankings only (draft tiers 1 and 2).

Sounds good. Fwiw this will be my 3rd year, 2017-18 season was my first and then obviously last year. So not sure if I still qualify for the new owners draft.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#670 » by TASTIC » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:09 am

Hold up - new owners draft should strictly be for BRAND NEW owners to the dynasty league right? So that wouldn't be you Golanator, you'll have to keep circling the bowl of mediocrity like me and a few others :D

And I don't think people should be allowed to swap teams either...It's simply a case of luck of the draw/timing. Same thing happens with injuries, it's unfortunate but it happens.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#671 » by sunskerr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:40 am

Yeah, as this is a dynasty league, I think everyone should be prepared to suck for multiple years. It’s supposed to reflect actual team building strategy, in which it can take years to put together a competitive team.

I think however, if year to year parity is an issue, having less keepers can help fix that. For example(I’m not necessarily advocating for this exact thing), if we have 4 keepers total, and a team has 4 good players and 2 others who have a break out year, then that team would not be able to keep all six of those guys. Whereas if the keeper count is higher, like 7-8, they can amass essentially a super strong team and keep those players indefinitely. It’s just something else to think about when considering parity. It also reflects real life team building, where dominant teams are not able to pay all their guys, and must choose their best players.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#672 » by wheezy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Golanator wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:Okay, I think I got all owners figured out and those who inherited a team. I pasted all this info in this link:

Sounds good. Fwiw this will be my 3rd year, 2017-18 season was my first and then obviously last year. So not sure if I still qualify for the new owners draft.

Yeah I was the other new owner last year.... but after making several trades in the last year I'm not sure I would be interested in going back to drafting a team after I feel a certain amount of ownership over the team I've put together now.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#673 » by MathiasPW » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:51 pm

wheezy wrote:
Golanator wrote:

Yeah I was the other new owner last year.... but after making several trades in the last year I'm not sure I would be interested in going back to drafting a team after I feel a certain amount of ownership over the team I've put together now.

Okay, batsmasher transferred the commish status to me. I'll renew the league soon enough.

On the re-draft topic, we have different feelings towards it. What I am trying to avoid is that people feel like they are put at a loss due to timing at which they came into the league. For example, an owner of a bad team now could just dump his team and pick one of the new openings, assuming that team is better than his. And then if we have more than one candidate for that team, who gets preference?

So we'll do a re-draft where the current new teams must participate, but new owners from the previous year(s) are allowed to participate, if they wish to do so, so we are leveling this field.

Other more complex topics like amount of keepers will be discussed throughout the season.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#674 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:43 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
wheezy wrote:
Golanator wrote:

Okay, batsmasher transferred the commish status to me. I'll renew the league soon enough.

On the re-draft topic, we have different feelings towards it. What I am trying to avoid is that people feel like they are put at a loss due to timing at which they came into the league. For example, an owner of a bad team now could just dump his team and pick one of the new openings, assuming that team is better than his. And then if we have more than one candidate for that team, who gets preference?

So we'll do a re-draft where the current new teams must participate, but new owners from the previous year(s) are allowed to participate, if they wish to do so, so we are leveling this field.

Other more complex topics like amount of keepers will be discussed throughout the season.

One problem is that if say, the two new teams and one new team from last year perform a draft of 24 players, you would need to consider their draft tier. You currently have the newer teams slated in their original tier. But the two new teams finished fairly well I think (or at least one did) and for example, if say, bigfoot improved his team to get some players from those other teams, he likely wouldn't have finished so low...and of course if a team that finished well last year and has a low draft spot, gets worse because of a re-draft, they are somewhat being penalized now for drafting lower than where their redrafted team would have likely finished.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#675 » by MathiasPW » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:20 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:
wheezy wrote:Yeah I was the other new owner last year.... but after making several trades in the last year I'm not sure I would be interested in going back to drafting a team after I feel a certain amount of ownership over the team I've put together now.

One problem is that if say, the two new teams and one new team from last year perform a draft of 24 players, you would need to consider their draft tier. You currently have the newer teams slated in their original tier. But the two new teams finished fairly well I think (or at least one did) and for example, if say, bigfoot improved his team to get some players from those other teams, he likely wouldn't have finished so low...and of course if a team that finished well last year and has a low draft spot, gets worse because of a re-draft, they are somewhat being penalized now for drafting lower than where their redrafted team would have likely finished.

I understand that, but that's why the draft is optional for last years' new managers.

It's hard to argue that this years' new teams managers are being penalized when it wasn't them who actually played last season. They are getting a blank canvas and a "random" draft spot, so it shouldn't really matter how the previous owner performed.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#676 » by TASTIC » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:54 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:

I understand that, but that's why the draft is optional for last years' new managers.

It's hard to argue that this years' new teams managers are being penalized when it wasn't them who actually played last season. They are getting a blank canvas and a "random" draft spot, so it shouldn't really matter how the previous owner performed.

Agree with keeping them in their draft slots as is.

But they’re choosing to take over a team? Treat it like the real NBA, there are so few openings that (the majority) of GM candidates take the first open job.

I’m really opposed to letting anyone other than first time managers the chance to basically start over. Goes against the whole point of having a dynasty league if they’re just redrafting in their second year? My team for example - 2yr ago I was rolling with All NBA level Isiah Thomas and Boogie, now look where they both are. Also drafted well getting Sexton then dealing he and Griffin for Wall - then what happened to him? Point is, make trades and pick a route of either competing or compiling, don’t just sit on your thumbs for a season. There are enough active and knowledgeable fantasy players in here to improve your team and theirs if need be, but not through a redraft.

Also don’t like the reduction of keepers from 7/8 to 4. Why should a really good team with a core 4-5 be penalised for either nailing a late pick or grabbing 1-2 guys off the scrap heap? That’s what the warriors did with Draymond and the rest of the NBA shouldn’t penalise that, they should try and replicate it. It’s not like a top team is signing KD, they’re just keeping an investment they made during the season.

Sorry to rant but the more new tweaks we make the more difficult this will become in future years to keep consistent. This includes my own suggested tweaks which were mainly included if people got bored with the current format and more and more posters wanted to join.

This is a good, fun and competitive league with active and smart managers for the most part - keep that as the core of the league and let’s not make new rules just because some of the new managers don’t like the squad they inherited. What happens next season if they don’t like their team again and they just go back in the pool? I’ve been in dynasty leagues for 15yr in some cases and have never heard of a current manager just redrafting, that’s not a keeper league that’s a new redraft...
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#677 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:02 pm

TASTIC wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

But they’re choosing to take over a team? Treat it like the real NBA, there are so few openings that (the majority) of GM candidates take the first open job.

I’m really opposed to letting anyone other than first time managers the chance to basically start over. Goes against the whole point of having a dynasty league if they’re just redrafting in their second year? My team for example - 2yr ago I was rolling with All NBA level Isiah Thomas and Boogie, now look where they both are. Also drafted well getting Sexton then dealing he and Griffin for Wall - then what happened to him? Point is, make trades and pick a route of either competing or compiling, don’t just sit on your thumbs for a season. There are enough active and knowledgeable fantasy players in here to improve your team and theirs if need be, but not through a redraft.

Also don’t like the reduction of keepers from 7/8 to 4. Why should a really good team with a core 4-5 be penalised for either nailing a late pick or grabbing 1-2 guys off the scrap heap? That’s what the warriors did with Draymond and the rest of the NBA shouldn’t penalise that, they should try and replicate it. It’s not like a top team is signing KD, they’re just keeping an investment they made during the season.

Sorry to rant but the more new tweaks we make the more difficult this will become in future years to keep consistent. This includes my own suggested tweaks which were mainly included if people got bored with the current format and more and more posters wanted to join.

This is a good, fun and competitive league with active and smart managers for the most part - keep that as the core of the league and let’s not make new rules just because some of the new managers don’t like the squad they inherited. What happens next season if they don’t like their team again and they just go back in the pool? I’ve been in dynasty leagues for 15yr in some cases and have never heard of a current manager just redrafting, that’s not a keeper league that’s a new redraft...

We voted on 7 keepers and then voted again on moving it to 8. I don't think it should be more or less than 7 or 8 and am pretty sure the majority feels that way since we've been building our teams with that in mind for a few years.

I'm not really opposed to new teams redrafting their combined players, but I don't know that previous year takeovers should be included since they have managed their team for a year.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,170

Re: Dynasty League - one open spot...anyone interested? 

Post#678 » by MrMiyagi » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:11 pm

I think the most helpful and realistic to implement suggestion is reducing the number of keepers. Whether we should do it now, or after next year in another story, but I think reducing the number of keepers by 1 would be best. And I think I'm in on new owners just taking over a team as is. Right now there are still a lot of roster moves available to be made (trade market seems fairly responsive), the draft is coming up, bad teams have a chance to land talent. It isn't simple, but like the real NBA, doing some research to find a gem to turn you around is one of the main reasons you play a Dynasty type format. If you just want to reset every year, join the other yearly league system (Premier, G-League, is CBA still around?)

Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Dynasty League - one open spot...anyone interested? 

Post#679 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:21 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:I think the most helpful and realistic to implement suggestion is reducing the number of keepers. Whether we should do it now, or after next year in another story, but I think reducing the number of keepers by 1 would be best. And I think I'm in on new owners just taking over a team as is. Right now there are still a lot of roster moves available to be made (trade market seems fairly responsive), the draft is coming up, bad teams have a chance to land talent. It isn't simple, but like the real NBA, doing some research to find a gem to turn you around is one of the main reasons you play a Dynasty type format. If you just want to reset every year, join the other yearly league system (Premier, G-League, is CBA still around?)

Only jdiddy is still in the CBA.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#680 » by MathiasPW » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:23 pm

TASTIC wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Jokes aside, I get (parts of) your argument. I agree most of our managers actually make very few adjustments to their teams and sit on their thumbs too much. I do not agree so much to the "it's been always done this way" types of arguments, though.

I am trying to find solutions that keep managers motivated and active. A league that has 2 or 3 managers leaving every season is troublesome.

The PARTIAL, KEEPERS ONLY re-draft is just to level the field among new managers, who've had no input in their teams other than saying "I want to play". This is very different from your situation, which is 100% self-inflicted (with a great lot of bad luck included).

Because it seems as a fair idea to be done with the new managers, I thought it could be expanded VOLUNTARILY to less-new managers since they didn't have the chance to do so when they came in, and would participate only this one time. The pool and redraft rule would continue to exist ONLY for new managers for future seasons, if more than one team changes hands, again.

This engages new managers more as they have input on their team build from day 1. It should not affect current managers that much, as you're only moving existing pieces around, much like trades would do, and none of those pieces are in your team.

Anyway, I believe the pool and redraft for new managers is pretty much a consensus. The whole point is if we do want to let bigfoot (and wheezy, if he feels like it) join, as well. This also depends if we are able to find a new manager for our 2nd vacant team. If we don't, sunskerr takes over one, we don't do any pooling, we reduce the league to 15 players, and the extinct team's players are up for grabs under normal draft rules.

Return to Phoenix Suns