Support Has Increased For Moving Free Agency Before Draft

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Support Has Increased For Moving Free Agency Before Draft 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:52 pm

The Houston Rockets made a suggestion in the past that the NBA move the free agency ahead of the draft on its calendar. At the time, the idea received little support but there appears to be a growing sentiment for the concept.

"One other factor that I think has gained more intrigue among teams (and) executives, and the Rockets brought this into a meeting is flipping the draft and free agency that would allow these conversations that at this point are not legal to basically take the framework of what free agency works in practice, which is teams are able to talk over a longer period of time with free agents. There was talk about why don't we just allow in the model now where a season is over, let agents legally talk about players who are done versus, if a guy in the playoffs, you have to wait until his team's eliminated. That's not happening.

"But if they just flip the draft and free agency, which there is more support for than maybe even a year or two ago, the problem is it has to be collectively bargained with the players' association."

"While it wasn't even seriously voted on when it was first brought up, more and more people are bringing it up to me," said Brian Windhorst. "I do think it's an idea that is gaining steam. I just think in general, the draft to a certain extent gets short shrift because The Finals come right up on it."

Via Adrian Wojnarowski, Brian Windhorst/ESPN

A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Re: Support Has Increased For Moving Free Agency Before Draft 

Post#2 » by A BETTER DJ » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:32 pm

To me this is a no-brainer. I think it will also increase the value of picks in trades.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#3 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:38 pm

What is there to gain for teams?

In 2019,
Would some big time free agents have waited until the draft before signing to see where Zion landed?

Does the league want KD and Kyrie signing their contracts during the middle of the draft?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#4 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:40 pm

A BETTER DJ wrote:To me this is a no-brainer. I think it will also increase the value of picks in trades.
Why do you believe it'd increase the value of picks?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Wiretap Discussion