Image ImageImage Image

Denzel Valentine injury update thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,400

Re: Denzel Valentine injury update thread 

Post#81 » by Indomitable » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:53 pm

logical_art wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:john paxson. i saw and heard him say it

Are you his friend?

Watch it on youtube.
:banghead:
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#82 » by StunnerKO » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#83 » by logical_art » Tue Oct 1, 2019 12:09 am

nomorezorro wrote:(it was during the media day press conference that was broadcast on the internet.)

Would it really have been that difficult to cite that initially? There's a lot of BS out there. Take 2 seconds to establish the veracity of your post.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,852

Post#84 » by nomorezorro » Tue Oct 1, 2019 1:14 am

pretty insulted by this questioning of my trustworthiness
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#85 » by StunnerKO » Tue Oct 1, 2019 1:36 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,132

Post#86 » by HomoSapien » Tue Oct 1, 2019 2:05 am

Wow, really surprised that Denzel's ready after all we've heard. He's in a position to get minutes with Hutch hurt.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,130

Post#87 » by League Circles » Tue Oct 1, 2019 2:09 am

Interesting. Denzel vs Hutchison for backup SF minutes is going to be a legit competition. If neither can step up we could see any of Thaddeus, Tomas, Dunn or Shaq guarding some SFs.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#88 » by sco » Tue Oct 1, 2019 1:19 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-talk-podcast-takeaways-bulls-media-day

Much Val discussion. KC said he spoke to Val, who said he's 100%!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/denzel-valentine-looks-establish-himself-233012226.html

"I have to get back into game shape," Valentine said. "But I'm 100 percent healthy."

But Valentine went hard the final week of voluntary September workouts without issue and oozed confidence about what the upcoming season holds.

:clap:
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,948

Post#89 » by Chi town » Tue Oct 1, 2019 2:29 pm

sco wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-talk-podcast-takeaways-bulls-media-day

Much Val discussion. KC said he spoke to Val, who said he's 100%!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/denzel-valentine-looks-establish-himself-233012226.html

"I have to get back into game shape," Valentine said. "But I'm 100 percent healthy."

But Valentine went hard the final week of voluntary September workouts without issue and oozed confidence about what the upcoming season holds.

Val is a great fit w the 2nd unit if he can stay healthy and make those 3s.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#90 » by drosereturn » Tue Oct 1, 2019 2:57 pm

League Circles wrote:Interesting. Denzel vs Hutchison for backup SF minutes is going to be a legit competition. If neither can step up we could see any of Thaddeus, Tomas, Dunn or Shaq guarding some SFs.

Im not excited at all even if Denzel was back 100%. He hasnt played ball in 2 yrs and athleticism is bottom 90%.
He would have to be superstar level facilitator and shooter to be on the rotation knowing his defense sucks hard.
Not a fan of keeping low ceiling injury prone players. Even talented guys like MPJ, bol are getting trashed just bc their ill.
Hutch is exactly polar opposite. His offense is non existent and thats just terrible as a wing.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
rosenthall
Senior
And1: 278

Post#91 » by rosenthall » Tue Oct 1, 2019 4:20 pm

Val being 100% healthy is good news. He is a secret hidden key to our season for the following reasons:

- He had a quietly good second season and I think people forget that he was a well rounded mid-rotation player by seasons end.
- Backup SF is our biggest weakness, and if we don't find a solution there then we'll have weird holes to plug
- Our best bet for starting PG is Tomas, and our best bet for backup pg is Dunn. Dunn and Val are good fits together. Dunn and Hutch are really bad fits.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,680

Post#92 » by madvillian » Tue Oct 1, 2019 4:57 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
League Circles wrote:Interesting. Denzel vs Hutchison for backup SF minutes is going to be a legit competition. If neither can step up we could see any of Thaddeus, Tomas, Dunn or Shaq guarding some SFs.

Im not excited at all even if Denzel was back 100%. He hasnt played ball in 2 yrs and athleticism is bottom 90%.
He would have to be superstar level facilitator and shooter to be on the rotation knowing his defense sucks hard.
Not a fan of keeping low ceiling injury prone players. Even talented guys like MPJ, bol are getting trashed just bc their ill.
Hutch is exactly polar opposite. His offense is non existent and thats just terrible as a wing.

This is basically where I'm at. Val is not going to step onto the court after a two year abstence and tear it up. He was already a marginal NBA player hitting 40% from deep. I'd expect him to be incredibly rust and not shoot anywhere close to that for the first 40 or so games. If he can even stay healthy through those games. As you noted his "playmaking" (lol how did that meme get started? Last name?) is non existent as is his defense. He was mildly useful as a sharp shooting 9th man before his ankle flared up. What's he now?

Hutch has a lot to prove himself. Can he stay healthy? Can he find some offense? The wing situation on the Bulls is not great.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#93 » by League Circles » Tue Oct 1, 2019 5:49 pm

Showtime23 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not remotely excited at all. I think both Valentine and Hutchison suck. I wish we had declined Valentine's option. Ridiculous that we didn't IMO.

I just think they might suck relatively equally, and are the closest things to "true SFs" that we have after Porter.
sco
RealGM

Post#94 » by sco » Tue Oct 1, 2019 6:02 pm

League Circles wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not remotely excited at all. I think both Valentine and Hutchison suck. I wish we had declined Valentine's option. Ridiculous that we didn't IMO.

I just think they might suck relatively equally, and are the closest things to "true SFs" that we have after Porter.

I look at SF and C the same way this year. We have a starter who is good. We have two backups, neither of whom have proven anything. There is a chance (IDK - 50/50) that one of them demonstrates that he's a legit back-up. It's hardly certainty, but it feels better than prior years.

Valentine is an interesting situation. IDK if part of his lack of athleticism was due to his ankle - either due to playing or training limitations. That said, I am hard-pressed to remember a situation where a guy out that long, just picked up where he left off - so I'm thinking he won't be much of a contributor until January. I do think Hutch can be a useful bench guy as long as he's your 5 option offensive guy - So Coby, Sato/Dunn, Hutch, Thad, Luke could be ok.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#95 » by League Circles » Tue Oct 1, 2019 6:20 pm

sco wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:

I look at SF and C the same way this year. We have a starter who is good. We have two backups, neither of whom have proven anything. There is a chance (IDK - 50/50) that one of them demonstrates that he's a legit back-up. It's hardly certainty, but it feels better than prior years.

Valentine is an interesting situation. IDK if part of his lack of athleticism was due to his ankle - either due to playing or training limitations. That said, I am hard-pressed to remember a situation where a guy out that long, just picked up where he left off - so I'm thinking he won't be much of a contributor until January. I do think Hutch can be a useful bench guy as long as he's your 5 option offensive guy - So Coby, Sato/Dunn, Hutch, Thad, Luke could be ok.

Give me either Kornet or Felicio (and Lauri) over Hutch or Val as a back up believe it or not.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#96 » by rtblues » Wed Oct 2, 2019 10:43 pm

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Memo to Pax:
These injuries all occurred "in our building"....
So much for the B.S. he has spouting about that for a few years now.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#97 » by JimmyJammer » Fri Oct 4, 2019 11:38 am

rtblues wrote:
StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Memo to Pax:
These injuries all occurred "in our building"....
So much for the B.S. he has spouting about that for a few years now.

That's not true, Wendell has had a core problem since high school and Valentine has been dealing with injuries since his college days. And as for Luke Kornet, we don't know what started this.
sco
RealGM

Post#98 » by sco » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:43 pm

Back to Valentine.

I know he looked a bit slow and a little out of shape last night, but it was great to see him on the floor. I will also say that many are painting him as "Jabari out-of-shape", I think he looked better than a guy who has been limited for so long. He looked a little thick and a little slow, but much better than I feared.

Also, his shooting and passing didn't look rusty at all.

I am optimistic that he will be back to where he was pre-injury by January and could become a real contributor for 10-15 mpg. You could put him out with Coby, Hutch, Thad and Luke and he could be a great floor spacer and 2nd play maker.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,680

Post#99 » by madvillian » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:55 pm

sco wrote:Back to Valentine.

I know he looked a bit slow and a little out of shape last night, but it was great to see him on the floor. I will also say that many are painting him as "Jabari out-of-shape", I think he looked better than a guy who has been limited for so long. He looked a little thick and a little slow, but much better than I feared.

Also, his shooting and passing didn't look rusty at all.

I am optimistic that he will be back to where he was pre-injury by January and could become a real contributor for 10-15 mpg. You could put him out with Coby, Hutch, Thad and Luke and he could be a great floor spacer and 2nd play maker.

I thought he looked pretty good and I had written him off as a contributor. I don't think he looked out of shape just strong in his core with maybe a bit of weight that will come off as he ramps up training and plays in real games again.

Still don't think he's anything more than a decent 8th man sniper but Bulls need that.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#100 » by bad knees » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:51 pm

Just seeing Valentine on the floor was one of the highlights of last night. I had completely written him off based on what we had seen and heard. Hope he can stay healthy. There are definitely minutes for him on this team.

Return to Chicago Bulls