ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Mitchell Robinson Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,861

Re: Official Mitchell Robinson Thread 

Post#721 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:09 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
NYKat wrote:Imma just go ahead and get this unpopular opinion out the way, just so I’m on record...

There’s something about this kid that rubs me the wrong way...

Yes, he has a **** of potential, but it’s just that potential,

he really hasn’t done **** yet and he’s too much of a goofball for my liking and he is a classic case of NY overrating their own players like we’ve done with everyone we’ve drafted from Majiec Lampe to Channing Frye to Iman Shumpert.

I saw the red flags with KP and his diva **** and chose to ignore it. I’m not ignoring Robinson’s red flags... he reminds me of a young Dwight Howard in terms of personality and we all know how his career progressed.

I hope I’m dead wrong, but something about this kid strikes me as he’s not all he’s cracked up to be.

Perhaps instead of thinking that we are each somebody, we should realize that everybody is nobody.

Nobody is everybody

We Are Besart
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,571

Post#722 » by Lord Commander » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:25 pm

I haven't seen Mitch's off court persona impact his play. He seems laser-focused on the court, with the highest motor I've ever seen in a player so young.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#723 » by NYKat » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:33 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I hate how goofy Dennis Rodman is on these Pistons. I don't think he'll amount to much.
NYKat, circa 1988

It could go the other way too, ijs...

Everyone wants to make it all sunshine and roses with this kid, but I’m just pointing out the other side of it.

We have a history as a fan base of only focusing on the best case scenario when it comes out going talent.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#724 » by NYKat » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:38 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:As far as his personality goes, I'd rather have guys be who they are as long as it is not divisive and petty. I don't always find his goofy stuff that interesting, but I cannot say it bothers me to the extent I'd say it is a problem. It is obviously clouding your judgment, because Mitch is probably a Top 3 center by the end of this season.

This the **** I’m talking about... Way too soon for that type of talk

Top 5 is his ceiling by the end of the season
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,134

Post#725 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:10 pm

NYKat wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:As far as his personality goes, I'd rather have guys be who they are as long as it is not divisive and petty. I don't always find his goofy stuff that interesting, but I cannot say it bothers me to the extent I'd say it is a problem. It is obviously clouding your judgment, because Mitch is probably a Top 3 center by the end of this season.

Answering both posts here.

Sure, it's possible Mitch's "attitude" goes either way, but I think the safer bet is more on the ebullient, goofy guy, who plays and practices hard, by all accounts, then a guy with other kinds of faults, a chip, etc. Howard seemed more aggressive and and d*chey from the jump. This kind of psychological profiling of players is so deep in the weeds, it's even hard to articulate, no less project.
I'll sum it up by saying I don't think Mitch's attitude seems too entitled or worrisome.

As far as overrating, what the fanbase does, etc, sure some of that goes on. Generally, Clyde seems to be more sober in his takes and forays into homerism, so when he's enthusiastic, I consider track record. But have we all gotten pumped over some future scrub? Yup.

I just think Robinson's floor is pretty undeniable, even if there is disagreement over his ceiling. I mean, I see his floor, already reached and probably exceeded, as a John Salley shotblocking menace off the bench and a real contributor to a good defensive team.

Ceiling? Who knows. And yes, I did run out a Thurl Bailey comparison, so there's that. But if top 5 center is too high, I don't think it's wrong to project a Marcus Camby career. Was Camby ever REALLY a top 5 center? Considering he played in the era of great centers, maybe not, but that's no shame. Mitch plays in possible the WORST era for centers I've witnessed. Even in those lowered standards, if he's lower down but still a highly effective role playing center, which Camby was in a lot of ways, I'll take that.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#726 » by Jalen Bluntson » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:04 pm

Mitch is a GAWD!!! AND YOU ALL WILL LIKE IT!!
:beer: RIP mags
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,371

Post#727 » by god shammgod » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:09 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
NYKat wrote:

Sure, it's possible Mitch's "attitude" goes either way, but I think the safer bet is more on the ebullient, goofy guy, who plays and practices hard, by all accounts, then a guy with other kinds of faults, a chip, etc. Howard seemed more aggressive and and d*chey from the jump. This kind of psychological profiling of players is so deep in the weeds, it's even hard to articulate, no less project.
I'll sum it up by saying I don't think Mitch's attitude seems too entitled or worrisome.

As far as overrating, what the fanbase does, etc, sure some of that goes on. Generally, Clyde seems to be more sober in his takes and forays into homerism, so when he's enthusiastic, I consider track record. But have we all gotten pumped over some future scrub? Yup.

I just think Robinson's floor is pretty undeniable, even if there is disagreement over his ceiling. I mean, I see his floor, already reached and probably exceeded, as a John Salley shotblocking menace off the bench and a real contributor to a good defensive team.

Ceiling? Who knows. And yes, I did run out a Thurl Bailey comparison, so there's that. But if top 5 center is too high, I don't think it's wrong to project a Marcus Camby career. Was Camby ever REALLY a top 5 center? Considering he played in the era of great centers, maybe not, but that's no shame. Mitch plays in possible the WORST era for centers I've witnessed. Even in those lowered standards, if he's lower down but still a highly effective role playing center, which Camby was in a lot of ways, I'll take that.

he'll likely be a much better offensive player than marcus. he's more fluid an athlete, he has a good handle for a guy that big and he's gonna shoot much better.

let me present to you, marcus camby's shooting form

Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#728 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:00 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
We Are Besart

Are we Besart?
Besart are we.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#729 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:18 pm

I have never seen another player do some of the things Mitchell does routinely. If you aren't a homer on Big Meetch, you aren't watching.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#730 » by DOT » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:30 pm

god shammgod wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
NYKat wrote:

he'll likely be a much better offensive player than marcus. he's more fluid an athlete, he has a good handle for a guy that big and he's gonna shoot much better.

I wasn't around for prime Camby, but how skilled offensively was he?

Like, comparing Mitch to him, Mitch shoots like 20% better from the field, but that's cause he does no creating, just dunks with no post ups

Did Camby post up at all? Cause it seems like the better comp would be DJ/Tyson in that scenario

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#731 » by god shammgod » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:46 pm

K-DOT wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Like, comparing Mitch to him, Mitch shoots like 20% better from the field, but that's cause he does no creating, just dunks with no post ups

Did Camby post up at all? Cause it seems like the better comp would be DJ/Tyson in that scenario

no, he didn't post up. he dunked, got putbacks and shot jumpers in the lane. he had a decent handle for a guy like that too. he could dribble it up the court on the break. there's a lot of similarities but i think mitch just looks more natural shooting and handling. if he continues to develop it wouldn't surprise me at all for him to be better. camby's jumper was ugly, but it would go in some, and he could go through charles smith-like droughts where he just couldn't get the ball in the hoop at the basket too.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#732 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:53 pm

NYKat wrote:

So you're going to the mat with Top 5 vs. Top 3?

Alrighty then!
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#733 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:57 pm

god shammgod wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
NYKat wrote:

Camby was a fine player, but Mitch has more talent and already does stuff Marcus couldn't dream of doing. I don't think it is even that close really and I was a Camby fan.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,540

Post#734 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:03 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I hate how goofy Dennis Rodman is on these Pistons. I don't think he'll amount to much.
NYKat, circa 1988

Apropos of nothing... Dennis Rodman was really **** good on the Pistons. He had two All Star appearances!

It's a pet peeve of mine that people say Phil/The Bulls fixed him. They kinda did after his SA debacle but he was a critical piece of the Pistons' two title runs.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,540

Post#735 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:09 pm

god shammgod wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

no, he didn't post up. he dunked, got putbacks and shot jumpers in the lane. he had a decent handle for a guy like that too. he could dribble it up the court on the break. there's a lot of similarities but i think mitch just looks more natural shooting and handling. if he continues to develop it wouldn't surprise me at all for him to be better. camby's jumper was ugly, but it would go in some, and he could go through charles smith-like droughts where he just couldn't get the ball in the hoop at the basket too.

In retrospect, that '99 team would have been REALLY good with a modern smallball system. They were kind of a precursor.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,364

Post#736 » by Iron Mantis » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:12 pm

Mitch is goofy, but tough on the court.. and seems like a very humble guy, willing to be molded as he grows.

Dwight has a huge ego, thinks he's better than Kareem in his prime...but is soft as bread and whiney.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#737 » by god shammgod » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:18 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:Mitch is goofy, but tough on the court.. and seems like a very humble guy, willing to be molded as he grows.

Dwight has a huge ego, thinks he's better than Kareem in his prime...but is soft as bread and whiney.

mitch has never been anything but intense on the court. he's almost sheed-like with how angry he is.

and as someone else said, dwight being goofy had nothing to do with his downfall. he hurt his back, got surgery and was never the same again. before that he was a mvp type.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#738 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:35 pm

Mitch is a beast on the court. IDGAF if his personality is goofy
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#739 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:13 pm

Capn'O wrote:
NYKat, circa 1988

Apropos of nothing... Dennis Rodman was really **** good on the Pistons. He had two All Star appearances!

It's a pet peeve of mine that people say Phil/The Bulls fixed him. They kinda did after his SA debacle but he was a critical piece of the Pistons' two title runs.

It's why I picked the year 1988. It was already established Rodman was really good defensively, but he hadn't become RODMAN yet.

I mean, as a fan, it jumped out to me from his rookie year. By his 2nd year, he was guarding 1-5 when he came in off the bench. I distinctly remember his guarding Ewing on multiple possessions and the PG on multiple possessions, and other forwards.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#740 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:25 pm

K-DOT wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Since a lot our memory, or at least mine, tends to lock in on young Knick camby flying down the court and dunking putbacks and passes etc, I THINK maybe people forget that Camby actually had something off a post game, and he absolutely had a jumper, though if my MEMORY serves, without going back and looking at youtube videos, I recall him jumper got a lot more use later in his career, at at least after like 3 or 4 seasons, where the jumper was reliable enough to be featured as part of his offense fairly often. Without a doubt, later career Camby was a good outside shooter and shot it often and well.

And I get comps like Chandler and DJ are more appropriate, as good defenders who made a living rim running and dunking, but I brought up Camby as someone some Knick fans would remember as really good and impactful as a young guy; limited in a lot of ways, but absolutely mattered and contributed to a winning team. And then who developed into a really good center, remembered a really good center, but was he really a top, top center? He was always NEAR the top, but feels like, and again, this is just based on hazy memory, but seems like there always about 4 or 5 guys off the top of the head a person would say were better.

It was really a way of discussing Mitch that hits the middle - what if he's a bit over-hyped now, which I'm not sure he is - I think he's special, but won't be someone who got hype but turned out "meh" like Shump. So tried to find that comp of a guy who started out with a bang while young, but still had a really, really good career, but not necessarily great. And I mean, Camby had some years being Camby where he'd feel dominant in games, a real terror. It's not meant to slight Camby.

It's like, there's a place between Ewe Blab and Wilt for big man comps. :-)

Return to New York Knicks