ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Mitchell Robinson Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

GONYK Game Notes: Die Another Day 

Post#741 » by GONYK » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:35 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
he'll likely be a much better offensive player than marcus. he's more fluid an athlete, he has a good handle for a guy that big and he's gonna shoot much better.

let me present to you, marcus camby's shooting form

I wasn't around for prime Camby, but how skilled offensively was he?

Like, comparing Mitch to him, Mitch shoots like 20% better from the field, but that's cause he does no creating, just dunks with no post ups

Did Camby post up at all? Cause it seems like the better comp would be DJ/Tyson in that scenario

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Since a lot our memory, or at least mine, tends to lock in on young Knick camby flying down the court and dunking putbacks and passes etc, I THINK maybe people forget that Camby actually had something off a post game, and he absolutely had a jumper, though if my MEMORY serves, without going back and looking at youtube videos, I recall him jumper got a lot more use later in his career, at at least after like 3 or 4 seasons, where the jumper was reliable enough to be featured as part of his offense fairly often. Without a doubt, later career Camby was a good outside shooter and shot it often and well.

And I get comps like Chandler and DJ are more appropriate, as good defenders who made a living rim running and dunking, but I brought up Camby as someone some Knick fans would remember as really good and impactful as a young guy; limited in a lot of ways, but absolutely mattered and contributed to a winning team. And then who developed into a really good center, remembered a really good center, but was he really a top, top center? He was always NEAR the top, but feels like, and again, this is just based on hazy memory, but seems like there always about 4 or 5 guys off the top of the head a person would say were better.

It was really a way of discussing Mitch that hits the middle - what if he's a bit over-hyped now, which I'm not sure he is - I think he's special, but won't be someone who got hype but turned out "meh" like Shump. So tried to find that comp of a guy who started out with a bang while young, but still had a really, really good career, but not necessarily great. And I mean, Camby had some years being Camby where he'd feel dominant in games, a real terror. It's not meant to slight Camby.

It's like, there's a place between Ewe Blab and Wilt for big man comps. :-)

Camby definitely had a nice jumper out to 10-12 feet. He was also extremely switchy back before you entire defense demanded it.

He used to give T-Mac fits, because he could actually stick with him on the perimeter and JVG would encourage the switch late in games.

Mitch is more athletic than Camby, but Marcus is the mold.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,779

Re: GONYK Game Notes: Die Another Day 

Post#742 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:48 pm

GONYK wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I wasn't around for prime Camby, but how skilled offensively was he?

Like, comparing Mitch to him, Mitch shoots like 20% better from the field, but that's cause he does no creating, just dunks with no post ups

Did Camby post up at all? Cause it seems like the better comp would be DJ/Tyson in that scenario

Since a lot our memory, or at least mine, tends to lock in on young Knick camby flying down the court and dunking putbacks and passes etc, I THINK maybe people forget that Camby actually had something off a post game, and he absolutely had a jumper, though if my MEMORY serves, without going back and looking at youtube videos, I recall him jumper got a lot more use later in his career, at at least after like 3 or 4 seasons, where the jumper was reliable enough to be featured as part of his offense fairly often. Without a doubt, later career Camby was a good outside shooter and shot it often and well.

And I get comps like Chandler and DJ are more appropriate, as good defenders who made a living rim running and dunking, but I brought up Camby as someone some Knick fans would remember as really good and impactful as a young guy; limited in a lot of ways, but absolutely mattered and contributed to a winning team. And then who developed into a really good center, remembered a really good center, but was he really a top, top center? He was always NEAR the top, but feels like, and again, this is just based on hazy memory, but seems like there always about 4 or 5 guys off the top of the head a person would say were better.

It was really a way of discussing Mitch that hits the middle - what if he's a bit over-hyped now, which I'm not sure he is - I think he's special, but won't be someone who got hype but turned out "meh" like Shump. So tried to find that comp of a guy who started out with a bang while young, but still had a really, really good career, but not necessarily great. And I mean, Camby had some years being Camby where he'd feel dominant in games, a real terror. It's not meant to slight Camby.

Camby definitely had a nice jumper out to 10-12 feet. He was also extremely switchy back before you entire defense demanded it.

He used to give T-Mac fits, because he could actually stick with him on the perimeter and JVG would encourage the switch late in games.

Exactly. That's why I didn't mind Camby as a comp. I mean, after ONE season, for offense, there are ways Mitch more resembles young DJ or Chandler, but there are enough similarities to Camby.

Different players, position etc, but I don't even mind some loose Rodman talk coming in, as long as people get WHY. Young Rodman - he played off the bench. He was limited on offense, or what he would DO (Rodman had some weird Frank like tendencies in that he COULD do more, but chose not to) but it was pretty clear with even young Rodman that on offense he was a SMART player. People kind of forget that.

Anyway, if fans noticed Rodman back then in season one or two, it was defense. And they noticed. And he'd come in, play about 20 minutes, but the complexion of the game CHANGED when he was in. And this was on top of a team that had no shortage of good, willing defenders.

Anyway, I know we hype guys, and I know that defenders on this team stick out because there are so few of them, but Mitch sticks out, as an NBA player, not just a Knick.

Are there some other promising young tall athletic role playing bigs in the league? Sure. I think Mitch is going to be some kind of very good, but I'm also going to continue to enjoy that he's a VERY good defensive role playing big the Knicks got by being smart and creative, in the 2nd round.

I'm as excited about what that says about the front office as I am about what Mitch is as a player. Same applies for Trier. And yeah, other teams hit on UDFA's often enough. Knicks hit on these guys together, in one off season. That was very above average FO work.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,967

Post#743 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:50 pm

GONYK wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
K-DOT wrote:I wasn't around for prime Camby, but how skilled offensively was he?

Tmac and KG. Camby was a terror and the inside-outside abilities is where that comp works best, imo.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Re: Official Mitchell Robinson Thread 

Post#744 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:53 pm

I mean, there may be some hyperbole in it, but I'm pretty encouraged when a young Knick gets generalized comparisons to Camby, K-Mart, Rodman, Sheed, young DJ, even Tyson Chandler. Someone who has kind of something(s) that gets him compared in a general way to those guys has something going on.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,967

Post#745 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:53 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I hate how goofy Dennis Rodman is on these Pistons. I don't think he'll amount to much.
NYKat, circa 1988

Apropos of nothing... Dennis Rodman was really **** good on the Pistons. He had two All Star appearances!

It's a pet peeve of mine that people say Phil/The Bulls fixed him. They kinda did after his SA debacle but he was a critical piece of the Pistons' two title runs.

It's why I picked the year 1988. It was already established Rodman was really good defensively, but he hadn't become RODMAN yet.

I mean, as a fan, it jumped out to me from his rookie year. By his 2nd year, he was guarding 1-5 when he came in off the bench. I distinctly remember his guarding Ewing on multiple possessions and the PG on multiple possessions, and other forwards.

Are you telling me I got up on my high horse for nothing?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#746 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:55 pm

Capn'O wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Apropos of nothing... Dennis Rodman was really **** good on the Pistons. He had two All Star appearances!

It's a pet peeve of mine that people say Phil/The Bulls fixed him. They kinda did after his SA debacle but he was a critical piece of the Pistons' two title runs.

It's why I picked the year 1988. It was already established Rodman was really good defensively, but he hadn't become RODMAN yet.

I mean, as a fan, it jumped out to me from his rookie year. By his 2nd year, he was guarding 1-5 when he came in off the bench. I distinctly remember his guarding Ewing on multiple possessions and the PG on multiple possessions, and other forwards.

Are you telling me I got up on my high horse for nothing?

Yes. Please step down. :D

I figured you were making a general statement, it's ok. But I really did pick the year based on "Ok, have to pick a year where it's well known that Rodman is a thing".
But I remember watching games with my brother, when Rodman was a rookie, being PISSED at Rodman, like "who the f*ck is this guy!?" and my brother would say "man, he's guarding EVERYONE"
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

GONYK Game Notes: Die Another Day 

Post#747 » by GONYK » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:58 pm

Rodman was a basketball genius. People see the hair and the rings and forget that he was a titan IQ wise.

I think he saw the game like this:

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#748 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:41 am

GONYK wrote:Rodman was a basketball genius. People see the hair and the rings and forget that he was a titan IQ wise.

I think he saw the game like this:

Finally. I've been waiting for years for someone to post a Besart GIF
Milk
Rookie
And1: 2,326

Post#749 » by Milk » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Knicks