Joe Johnson Trying To Prove BIG3 Can Be Path To NBA For Other Players

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Joe Johnson Trying To Prove BIG3 Can Be Path To NBA For Other Players 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:38 pm

Joe Johnson is trying to win a roster spot with the Detroit Pistons after winning MVP honors in the BIG3.

"My body's feeling great. This is probably the toughest part of training camp," Johnson said following Day 3 of Pistons camp at Michigan State University. "It's a lot of running and conditioning, but if you come into camp already in shape, you can get through it. I didn't have any problems.

"It's been fun for me, but I haven't had a break in the last six months. But it's been fun. The process has been amazing for me and I'm just thankful for the opportunity."

Johnson believes even receiving a camp invite makes his situation a success from his perspective. 

"That was another reason why I thought it was very important for me to take this opportunity because those guys in the BIG3, a lot of them anyway, have hopes to at some point to be able to get back in the league," Johnson said. "So I just wanted to let everyone know that it's possible just to get to this point. I mean, I'm not even all the way on the roster, but to get to this point, get your foot in the door. Then whatever you do from that point, it's up to you."

Via Eric Woodyard/ESPN

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,681

Re: Joe Johnson Trying To Prove BIG3 Can Be Path To NBA For Other Players 

Post#2 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:58 pm

path BACK? joe johnson is a proven NBA commodity. i have a hard time believing a player without very high level pro experience would be seriously considered from the BIG3.

this is re-entry for joe. very important distinction.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#3 » by johanliebert » Thu Oct 3, 2019 8:57 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:path BACK? joe johnson is a proven NBA commodity. i have a hard time believing a player without very high level pro experience would be seriously considered from the BIG3.

yea i dont understand why his BIG3 experience played any factor. he's less than a year removed from the NBA i doubt scoring on some washed up vets meant anything.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#4 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:33 pm

johanliebert wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:path BACK? joe johnson is a proven NBA commodity. i have a hard time believing a player without very high level pro experience would be seriously considered from the BIG3.

yea i dont understand why his BIG3 experience played any factor. he's less than a year removed from the NBA i doubt scoring on some washed up vets meant anything.

He was the best player in the league and hadn't played well in his last NBA season. Seeing him do so well even against lesser competition clearly opened some NBA teams' eyes.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#5 » by SlowPaced » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:11 am

johanliebert wrote:

It's about how dominant and comfortable he looked out there. Remember this is about getting a roster spot. Dominating recently retired NBA players the way he did is enough when you take his resume into account as well.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#6 » by TheCage4 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:39 am

The BIG3 is a path to the NBA like the XFL will be a path to the NFL.

Come on Joe, what did Cube give you to reference that mess?
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#7 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Oct 4, 2019 3:57 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
johanliebert wrote:

He was the best player in the league and hadn't played well in his last NBA season. Seeing him do so well even against lesser competition clearly opened some NBA teams' eyes.

not arguing that. i'm saying that's helpful to joe johnson. a non-former NBA player in the BIG3 wouldn't get such an opportunity.

joe johnson could have shown himself ready to return to the league in many ways.

it's not even the same game. my point is we already knew joe johnson is an NBA player. he used BIG3 to show he's not a washed athlete. an unknown baller dominating BIG3 would not be congruent to playing into an NBA training camp spot.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:04 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
johanliebert wrote:yea i dont understand why his BIG3 experience played any factor. he's less than a year removed from the NBA i doubt scoring on some washed up vets meant anything.

not arguing that. i'm saying that's helpful to joe johnson. a non-former NBA player in the BIG3 wouldn't get such an opportunity.

joe johnson could have shown himself ready to return to the league in many ways.

it's not even the same game. my point is we already knew joe johnson is an NBA player. he used BIG3 to show he's not a washed athlete. an unknown baller dominating BIG3 would not be congruent to playing into an NBA training camp spot.

That's fair. I think that's the model to market.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Oct 4, 2019 6:41 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

If the Big3 had any influence on NBA signings Amare would be back already. 1st in blocks, 2nd in points, 6th in Rebounds. NO, success in the Big3 means very little.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Oct 4, 2019 11:42 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

If the Big3 had any influence on NBA signings Amare would be back already. 1st in blocks, 2nd in points, 6th in Rebounds. NO, success in the Big3 means very little.

What? Wasn't saying playing well automatically equals a path back into the NBA. Was saying it gives players exposure. And it's obvious amare isn't back in the league due to his defense.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#11 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Oct 4, 2019 2:12 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

What? Wasn't saying playing well automatically equals a path back into the NBA. Was saying it gives players exposure. And it's obvious amare isn't back in the league due to his defense.

among other things. and i like amare.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#12 » by Billl » Fri Oct 4, 2019 2:30 pm

The problem with Big3 players isn't the talent level. It's age. I'm sure JJ is probably better than most guys taking that #15 slot on the roster. Teams generally aren't using that slot that way though. Most teams are looking for someone who might help them out 1 year or 2 down the line.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Oct 4, 2019 6:41 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:If the Big3 had any influence on NBA signings Amare would be back already. 1st in blocks, 2nd in points, 6th in Rebounds. NO, success in the Big3 means very little.

among other things. and i like amare.

1) Amare was 1st in blocks by a healthy margin. (That is more a reflection of Big3 competition.)
2) Joe Johnson is a terrible defender at this point.
3) There is virtually zero exposure with the Big3. Scouts/GM's aren't watching this. It's Disney on Ice. If these guys wanted to prove themselves they would join a G league team and play day in and day out. MJ could probably still destroy people for 11 minutes 8 times a year in the Big3.
4) I like Amare too. I have no idea why a team would give Anthony Bennett another look over Amare.... but the Big3 isn't going to get him there. If he finds a team it will likely be on a 10-day at this point.

Return to Wiretap Discussion