ImageImageImageImageImage

Other Notable Wizards' Front Office Hires (John Thompson III & Sashi Brown)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Re: Other Notable Wizards' Front Office Hires (John Thompson III & Sashi Brown) 

Post#81 » by keynote » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:21 pm

Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#82 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:34 am

Unless I read that wrong, I don't think it's a basketball job in particular or that the research is necessarily team or even sports related. Well in some sense of course -- but not about sports analytics.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#83 » by keynote » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 am

Reads like analytics to me -- albeit more holistically than we're used to talking about it.
payitforward wrote:Unless I read that wrong, I don't think it's a basketball job in particular or that the research is necessarily team or even sports related. Well in some sense of course -- but not about sports analytics.
Position Overview: The Vice President, Research is responsible for leading all internal research initiatives, with the prime objective of identifying competitive advantages to winning championships. This position will identify, analyze, and deliver the key information to support the organizational strategies, critical decisions, and day to day operational needs of Monumental Basketball Operations. 

Responsibilities: 

Identify optimal strategies relating to player evaluation, game management, in-game tactics, roster building, contract and salary cap strategy, and broader league trends. 

Collaborate with the Information Technology department to maintain a dynamic and secure information system that anticipates the needs of Monumental Basketball Operations staff.

Provide the Basketball Operations Department with the best empirical data and data analysis available, ensuring objectivity and integrity of information through rigorous analytical methodologies and standards.

Create analytical models to test, evaluate, and validate alignment of strategies and decisions across Basketball Operations with organizations goals.

Participate in meetings and strategic discussions with senior leadership of Basketball Operations.

Support coaching and scouting staffs in research projects.

Present latest work and findings to senior leadership and ownership.

Prepare the Annual Report for the Research Department.

Support VP of Basketball Analytics in salary cap and contract and research projects. 
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#84 » by trast66 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:19 am

I think it’s basketball related. What a bunch of corporate mumbo jumbo:

MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#85 » by badinage » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:25 am

You vill ave fun.

You vill like it!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#86 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:13 pm

keynote wrote:Reads like analytics to me -- albeit more holistically than we're used to talking about it.
payitforward wrote:Unless I read that wrong, I don't think it's a basketball job in particular or that the research is necessarily team or even sports related. Well in some sense of course -- but not about sports analytics.
Position Overview: The Vice President, Research is responsible for leading all internal research initiatives, with the prime objective of identifying competitive advantages to winning championships. This position will identify, analyze, and deliver the key information to support the organizational strategies, critical decisions, and day to day operational needs of Monumental Basketball Operations. 

Responsibilities: 

Identify optimal strategies relating to player evaluation, game management, in-game tactics, roster building, contract and salary cap strategy, and broader league trends. 

Collaborate with the Information Technology department to maintain a dynamic and secure information system that anticipates the needs of Monumental Basketball Operations staff.

Provide the Basketball Operations Department with the best empirical data and data analysis available, ensuring objectivity and integrity of information through rigorous analytical methodologies and standards.

Create analytical models to test, evaluate, and validate alignment of strategies and decisions across Basketball Operations with organizations goals.

Participate in meetings and strategic discussions with senior leadership of Basketball Operations.

Support coaching and scouting staffs in research projects.

Present latest work and findings to senior leadership and ownership.

Prepare the Annual Report for the Research Department.

Support VP of Basketball Analytics in salary cap and contract and research projects. 

Hands should apply for this job, what do you think?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#87 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 1, 2019 11:12 pm

Here's the Rod Thorn specifics.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255560/Wizards-Hire-Rod-Thorn-As-Senior-Advisor-Tom-Tommy-Sheppard

Weirdly, it seems his title is going to be "Senior Advisor to the General Manager." I thought we didn't have a "General Manager" -- i.e. that Tommy's title was "President of Basketball Operation."

Seems like an awful lot of spoons stirring the soup -- lets hope it works out well.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#88 » by Eli Babak » Wed Oct 2, 2019 5:57 pm

payitforward wrote:Weirdly, it seems his title is going to be "Senior Advisor to the General Manager." I thought we didn't have a "General Manager" -- i.e. that Tommy's title was "President of Basketball Operation."

Seems like an awful lot of spoons stirring the soup -- lets hope it works out well.

He's a GM: https://www.nba.com/wizards/wizardsdirectoryhtml

Yes, a lot of new guys but it can't be worse than Ernie's dictatorship. Looking forward these next few years!
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#90 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:14 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/hall-famer-rod-thorn-sees-solid-foundation-being-laid-wizards?amp&__twitter_impression=true

"In today's world, you're a phone call away," Thorn said. "Whatever Tommy and the team would like out of me, that's what I will attempt to do. [I will be] critiquing whatever they would like me to critique."

Rod Thorn to NBC Sports

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#91 » by WallToWall » Fri Oct 4, 2019 5:56 pm

We went from 1 person in a virtual bubble running the show, to a whole bunch of folks who I have no clue what they do. The pendulum has swung way off to the other side.
Wait and see what all this brings...

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#92 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 4, 2019 7:10 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:[https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/hall-famer-rod-thorn-sees-solid-foundation-being-laid-wizards?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Quote]"In today's world, you're a phone call away," Thorn said. "Whatever Tommy and the team would like out of me, that's what I will attempt to do. [I will be] critiquing whatever they would like me to critique."

Rod Thorn to NBC Sports[/quote]
I love that he said "a phone call away." Not exactly a millenial!! :)

Main point for me was that he said he wasn't going to be around all that much, which indicates that he won't have an active, shaping role. He'll be a resource, & no doubt he'll have special projects as well.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#93 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 4, 2019 9:12 pm

payitforward wrote:
I love that he said "a phone call away." Not exactly a millenial!! :)

Main point for me was that he said he wasn't going to be around all that much, which indicates that he won't have an active, shaping role. He'll be a resource, & no doubt he'll have special projects as well.

Things couldn't be any more anti-Grunfeldian. This is a good thing!

All kinds of resources, much transparency, legitimacy, and winning culture are a call away at worst. I just know the clock is ticking on Scott Brooks, too.
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#94 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:06 pm

I'd love to hire Pau Gasol as a big man skills coach.

Return to Washington Wizards