Image ImageImage Image

Advice Jerry Reinsdorf gave former Marlins president: "Finish 2nd place every year" (full quote in OP)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Advice Jerry Reinsdorf gave former Marlins president: "Finish 2nd place every year" (full quote in OP) 

Post#1 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:17 pm

Read on Twitter
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Re: Advice Jerry Reinsdorf gave former Marlins president: "Finish 2nd place every year" (full quote in OP) 

Post#2 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:35 pm

No surprise, I’ve been saying this is how the Bulls are run and have been for decades. Always avoiding luxury tax, never taking that next step. The funny part is the stans that seem to buy into some logic that JRs first priority is winning. It of course is not.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,130

Re: Advice Jerry Reinsdorf gave former Marlins president: "Finish 2nd place every year" (full quote in OP) 

Post#3 » by League Circles » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:58 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:No surprise, I’ve been saying this is how the Bulls are run and have been for decades. Always avoiding luxury tax, never taking that next step. The funny part is the stans that seem to buy into some logic that JRs first priority is winning. It of course is not.

I've been on this board for 18 years and I'm not sure I've ever heard someone argue that JR's first priority is winning.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
League Circles
RealGM

Post#4 » by League Circles » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:59 pm

From a business perspective he's right. Hopefully that mentality doesn't cost us any titles. I mean people don't think he thought the 6 titles were in error do they?
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#5 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:00 pm

If there wasnt MJ existence this would likely be worst run franchise in NBA history.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#6 » by League Circles » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:01 pm

Also there might have been a little gamesmanship in that advise. "You go ahead and be content with 2nd place based on this apparent logic, I'll win titles"
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#7 » by Red Larrivee » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:07 pm

I don't disagree with the logic, though it's obviously not something fans want to hear. Also, I think the quote comes off as condescending, because it makes fans sound like suckers.

Making money is the top goal of every franchise. Winning a championship is the optimal goal, because it's the best way to improve a franchise's value and make money. Unfortunately, only one team wins a title each year, so building a team that has a high floor of winning games, making the playoffs, and "being in it" is a wise thing to do.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#8 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:10 pm

League Circles wrote:Also there might have been a little gamesmanship in that advise. "You go ahead and be content with 2nd place based on this apparent logic, I'll win titles"

Yup, the White Sox are racking up the titles
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#9 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:12 pm

League Circles wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:No surprise, I’ve been saying this is how the Bulls are run and have been for decades. Always avoiding luxury tax, never taking that next step. The funny part is the stans that seem to buy into some logic that JRs first priority is winning. It of course is not.

I've been on this board for 18 years and I'm not sure I've ever heard someone argue that JR's first priority is winning.

Strange, I hear it all the time. About how they’re doing everything they can to win. That they haven’t had the right opportunities to pay the luxury tax. That’s my favorite line, hear that one a lot
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#10 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:18 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:If there wasnt MJ existence this would likely be worst run franchise in NBA history.

Most people have caught on at this point. Whenever GM and/or owner rankings come out, the Bulls are near the bottom.

It is certainly one of the worst in all of sports, not just the NBA.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#11 » by Jcool0 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:22 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:If there wasnt MJ existence this would likely be worst run franchise in NBA history.

You aren't even trying huh
League Circles
RealGM

Post#12 » by League Circles » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:28 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
League Circles wrote:

Strange, I hear it all the time. About how they’re doing everything they can to win. That they haven’t had the right opportunities to pay the luxury tax. That’s my favorite line, hear that one a lot

I think you're imagining things to be honest. Let us know next time you see it.

A. They have paid the luxury tax - when it made sense

B. NOT paying the luxury tax can be synonymous with doing everything you can to win (not saying it always or usually is, but if you understand how the passage of time and opportunity costs work it's clear why)
League Circles
RealGM

Post#13 » by League Circles » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:29 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

Most people have caught on at this point. Whenever GM and/or owner rankings come out, the Bulls are near the bottom.

Like when Gar Forman gets voted executive of the year multiple times? By the people who, unlike click bait media types, are actually privy to tons of private information about what the Bulls do?

It's weird as hell to follow a team you think is the worst run in league history.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#14 » by League Circles » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:31 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
League Circles wrote:Also there might have been a little gamesmanship in that advise. "You go ahead and be content with 2nd place based on this apparent logic, I'll win titles"

Nice redirect. My idea could be true even if they had never won anything. But of course they have won under JR.

If you can't understand why a businessman MIGHT intentionally give a competitor bad advice, I don't know what to tell you.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#15 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:37 pm

League Circles wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

Nice redirect. My idea could be true even if they had never won anything. But of course they have won under JR.

If you can't understand why a businessman MIGHT intentionally give a competitor bad advice, I don't know what to tell you.

It’s not a redirect. If it was gamesmanship and JRs true interest was winning, he’s be running the white Sox very differently than how they’ve been run. This is very obvious.

Not surprisingly, the Marlins have been much more successful than the White Sox.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#16 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:39 pm

League Circles wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
League Circles wrote:

I think you're imagining things to be honest. Let us know next time you see it.

A. They have paid the luxury tax - when it made sense

B. NOT paying the luxury tax can be synonymous with doing everything you can to win (not saying it always or usually is, but if you understand how the passage of time and opportunity costs work it's clear why)

I’m not imagining anything. There are thousands upon thousands of fans that think the Bulls top priority is winning. In fact, this is the common thought in sports until proven otherwise. Lots of those reside on this board.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#17 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:41 pm

League Circles wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

Like when Gar Forman gets voted executive of the year multiple times? By the people who, unlike click bait media types, are actually privy to tons of private information about what the Bulls do?

It's weird as hell to follow a team you think is the worst run in league history.

What years did Gar win executive of the year?
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#18 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:53 pm

At some point in the future, JR will pass away or give away the team full to Michael. Unfortunately, I reckon Michael will operate the same way.

After that at some point, the Bulls will go the way of the Blackhawks and have a stark change in ownership. That may not be in some of our lifetimes. Lol.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#19 » by League Circles » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:56 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

It’s not a redirect. If it was gamesmanship and JRs true interest was winning, he’s be running the white Sox very differently than how they’ve been run. This is very obvious.

Not surprisingly, the Marlins have been much more successful than the White Sox.

Why would there be one true interest?

I would think it's obvious that his interests are in making money and winning, which are typically correlated (at least in basketball, not sure about baseball).

If you want to make money and also to win (cause you love baseball like he does), what is inconsistent about trying to get your competitors to lower their aims? Especially since you can take solace in the fact that you gave good financial advice.
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,429

Post#20 » by aguifs » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:57 pm

Cheap old muthafu...
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE

Return to Chicago Bulls