ImageImageImageImageImage

Video: OG New Shooting Form Adjustments

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Re: Video: OG New Shooting Form Adjustments 

Post#61 » by LastNameEver » Sat Oct 5, 2019 8:36 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:

Its amazing that hes an elite shooter and ball handler now
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,183

Post#62 » by Hoopstarr » Sat Oct 5, 2019 9:10 pm

Why is no one talking about his Hayesian calves?
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#63 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Oct 5, 2019 9:38 pm

Boogie! wrote:
gerrit4 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
He has big hands so it should be easier for him to develop handle than other players. Hopefully that happens eventually. It’s doubtful he develops his handles to an elite level like Paul George did but I think he can get it to an above average level eventually.

It will be interesting to see. To my eyes, his body doesn't really move as fluidly as a lot of those guys, but some of that might have been injury related.

In Demar's rookie year, I'd argue that he was the worst ball-handling SG in the entire league, and by the time we traded him, he was probably among the best. I never saw that coming. So now I'll never write off a player's handle.

To my eyes (and I'm by no means a shooting expert), I've always felt that OG's lower body strength and lower body form is why he's been able to be a pretty good 3pt shooter in the league so far, even though his release has looked pretty tight and ugly to me. Pascal on the other hand (2 seasons ago) had a fine release -low and sloppy, but soft and fluid, but his lower body always looked out of whack. He really improved his shot preparation last year, and became a good enough 3pt shooter.

If OG can ever become an efficient 12ppg player, I'll be thrilled. I have no doubts that he'll always be a very good defender, and I'm pretty confident he can get to league average offensively. Anything above that is gravy.

By demars second season he was finishing in traffic regularly and shooting post fadeawaysover defenders. People like to look at things like "handle" in a vacuum without realizing that other factors play a role in a players ability to create and finish. Og is awkward around the basket with nobody control or craftiness. When he encounters defense he just wildly throws up a shot. He's Terrence Ross like in that regard and Ross didn't even have a bad handle. Theres things that can improve through hard work and things that may never get better. There's a reason why not every player is a superstar and it has nothing to do with just hard work.

Yeah I agree in a sense. OG just is lacking that fluidity and natural touch that most star scorers have. I’ve never been too high on his offense for this reason. Kawhi is also not that fluid but he does have great touch to make up for it.

But I remain exceptionally high on his defense. I think people are focusing on the wrong things with OG.

If I was the coaching staff I’d push him less towards the next Kawhi or Jimmy Butler or whatever and more towards the Andrei Krilenkos and Shawn Marions of the world.

OG has the potential to be a legitimate DPOY type Imo. That’s really where his focus should be as a player.

That means on top of becoming a better defender his offensive focus should be on improving his off-ball game, attacking close outs, better in transition and becoming a better secondary/tertiary playmaker and better rebounder.

That’s something Marion really excelled at and could give you 15-20ppg just based on his solid off ball game without ever trying to be much of a on ball creator.

Most of that you can improve with hard work especially if you have all the tools for it like OG does.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#64 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 1:35 am

Boogie! wrote:This isn't meant to be negative, but are there any specific accounts of guys becoming much better shooters after changing their shooting form in the middle of their NBA career?

OG isn't in the middle of his NBA career though. He's 22.
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#65 » by team edward » Sun Oct 6, 2019 1:52 am

Life circumstances took away his shot at contributing to a title. I expect him to be playing with a chip on his shoulder.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,746
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#66 » by Boogie! » Sun Oct 6, 2019 3:03 am

team edward wrote:Life circumstances took away his shot at contributing to a title. I expect him to be playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Tbh he didn't fit in last years playoff run. Our defense was already great without him, and our inability to generate offense outside of kawhi is why we struggled at times in the Philly series and that's not his strong suit.

If og wants to be a contributor he has to take a legit huge step similar to siakam, but again I just don't see it. Norman Powell is the one guy I want to be forcefeed minutes, I hope we don't forcefeed og minutes just to make him feel better if he's not contributing.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#67 » by RonaldArtest » Sun Oct 6, 2019 3:34 am

Boogie! wrote:
team edward wrote:Life circumstances took away his shot at contributing to a title. I expect him to be playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Tbh he didn't fit in last years playoff run. Our defense was already great without him, and our inability to generate offense outside of kawhi is why we struggled at times in the Philly series and that's not his strong suit.

If og wants to be a contributor he has to take a legit huge step similar to siakam, but again I just don't see it. Norman Powell is the one guy I want to be forcefeed minutes, I hope we don't forcefeed og minutes just to make him feel better if he's not contributing.

His defence and size would’ve been great against Philly though, allowing the team to match up better and maybe it doesn’t go down to the wire like it did. You’re spot on about not having another guy outside Kawhi consistently stepping up in that series, but I don’t think our defence throughout was so effective that it couldn’t have been improved upon. Having Anunoby as an option would’ve helped NN battle with teams who went with bigger lineups. OG played fairly well in his one playoff run, being tasked with guarding one of the goats in Lebron, and doing a better job than many anticipated. I think if he was healthy physically and mentally than he would’ve certainly been a valuable bench piece for the run.

Of course in hindsight it doesn’t matter because the raps won a championship. Hopefully OG steps up and plays to his potential.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#68 » by RaptorsNorth » Sun Oct 6, 2019 10:54 am

His shooting form wasn't really a big issue for me. I mean he shot the ball well in his rookie season. It's his terrible handles that's a bigger issue. He needs to get in contact with the guy that helped DeMar with his handles.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#69 » by Psubs » Sun Oct 6, 2019 3:27 pm

Boogie! wrote:

I feel like OG's last season was like Powell's 2 season's ago. OG can make the same jump that Powell made last season, no doubt.

Isn't crazy that Norm is close to 50/40/85? :o
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#70 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:56 pm

He should work with DeMar to get them handles improved
Credits to Jstock12
rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Post#71 » by rrdjutriurt » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:21 pm

If OG could bring a lot of what Danny Green brought to the table he would be a very valuable piece of the Raptor's future. Beyond defending he has the ability to rebound better and protect the rim as well as become a top notch 3 point shooter. His long range shooting has been very good to this point of his young career and should continue to improve going forward.
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#72 » by Indeed » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:42 pm

antonaki1 wrote:If OG could bring a lot of what Danny Green brought to the table he would be a very valuable piece of the Raptor's future. Beyond defending he has the ability to rebound better and protect the rim as well as become a top notch 3 point shooter. His long range shooting has been very good to this point of his young career and should continue to improve going forward.

I think OG is brining Leonard's defense. As for offense, hopefully he can improve his catch and shoot to Green's level. If that's the case, we will expect less on the SG spot.
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#73 » by howlin mad axer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:44 am

djsunyc wrote:Image

Isn't WWE just for rednecks?

Return to Toronto Raptors