ImageImageImageImageImage

Davis should start

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,819

Re: Thomas and Davis 

Post#41 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:46 pm

I can't be the only one that views McCaw as a bum. A winning bum, but a bum nonetheless.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,159

Post#42 » by djsunyc » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:51 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:I can't be the only one that views McCaw as a bum. A winning bum, but a bum nonetheless.

i've updated my pc to automatically find&replace all uses of the word garbage to mccaw.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,620

Post#43 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:58 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:I thought Davis was just okay. He did some things well but also made some bad mistakes. He needs to tighten his handle and jumper while cutting down the turnovers. He's a pretty good undrafted player but to say he might start at the end of the year based on what he's shown in pre-season is a ridiculous take. He'll be in and out of the G-League and behind Norm and McCaw in the depth chart.

5 ast and 2 to's in 19 mins is better playmaking that he did in college when he had to force things. Oh and he had 3 steals in those 19 mins! He should become an MLE level backup for the 2-3 years. That will also keep his extension cheap like Norm's current deal.

Masai has this team on a very balanced system of hierarchy and has hit again with undrafted Thomas and Davis. Thomas' ceiling is probably Redick and Davis is Baron Davis! :D

Still wanted Tacko Fall at #59, but Hernandez looks like an MLE calibre player as well.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#44 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:00 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:I can't be the only one that views McCaw as a bum. A winning bum, but a bum nonetheless.

McCaw is like a lanky version of a young Avery Bradley. AB has now developed a more consistent 3, who knows how McCaw will develop, but 6'5 without shoes is amazing for a defensive combo guard.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#45 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:03 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Powell won't be here past the trade deadline. You can pretty much bet your house on that.

Only for the facts that he's an above average player on an average contract and his player option extends into 2021/2022 season.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#46 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:07 pm

Zeno wrote:Based on the game today I was really encouraged by Norm as the starting 2 and OG at the 3, and that Davis,Thomas and maybe even Boucher could be part of the rotation.

McCaw and Hollis Jefferson weren't great and Stanley Johnson was horrible. I think only one of these three non-shooters can be in the rotation if we want the offense to be at all passable

I also liked what I saw from Malcolm Miller for the final roster spot and Oshae Brissett for one of the two ways.

I would love to trade Stanley Johnson ,RHJ, 2020 2nd pick and a future 2nd pick for Taj Gibson (has an affordable team option for 2020/2021).

PG Lowry - FVV - TD
SG Powell - Thomas - TD
SF Siakam - OG - McCaw
PF Ibaka - Gibson - Hernandez
C Gasol - Ibaka - Boucher

I think that team could go toe-to-toe with Milwaukee and Philly to get to the NBA Finals.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,228

Post#47 » by TheAlchemist » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:10 pm

Terrence Davis looks like he can be a star. Intangibles are crazy good.

If he becomes solid, I'm afraid Fred's time is up.

Norm is really good and should start based on role, fit and experience. I don't see Thomas starting over him, and that should be the case.

Thomas though, can literally develop into a JJ type of guy if developed right.

All in all Masai is a genius and we're becoming the next Spurs in developing talent that nobody else sees.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#48 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:13 pm

TheAlchemist wrote:Terrence Davis looks like he can be a star. Intangibles are crazy good.

If he becomes solid, I'm afraid Fred's time is up.

Norm is really good and should start based on role, fit and experience. I don't see Thomas starting over him, and that should be the case.

Thomas though, can literally develop into a JJ type of guy if developed right.

All in all Masai is a genius and we're becoming the next Spurs in developing talent that nobody else sees.

TD could be Powell who can finish with contact (from his football mentality) and with PG handles.

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#49 » by mademan » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:15 pm

Thomas needs some NBA experience to become a not complete liability on defense and then he can be the next JJ Redick/Joe Harris. He's gonna need to hit the weight room though.

Davis looks special tbh. Dunno how he went undrafted
Drfunk33
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#50 » by Drfunk33 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:53 pm

It sounds like a lot of you were listening to Leo's slurpy praise of Davis and not actually watching the game. Very confused by the reaction here. Despite looking, physically, like an NBA player, Davis appears to have very low basketball IQ. In addition to the bad shots and turnovers, he made the wrong read on several plays - notably on a few fastbreaks where he nearly turned the ball over on bad passes. Even simple passes were often jumbled but eventually recovered by teammates. It could just be first game jitters, so I'm willing to wait and see - but I was not nearly as encouraged as some on this board.

Stanley Johnson was also trash. Very uncreative as a finisher, poor handle, poor shooter, sloppy passer... not impressed.

Matt Thomas, on the other hand, was exceptional, I thought. He made the correct reads on just about every play. He did a great job swinging the ball, cutting hard, making open shots. Also - a very small item - but he made good entry passes and when he received the ball back immediately passed back into the post and reset the player. Very encouraged by his play. We'll need all the shooting we can get this season without Kawhi's ability to bail us out.

I was pleasantly surprised with Oshae Brissett's ability to slash and hustle. Really impacted the game.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#51 » by YelloC » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:10 pm

Davis actually has Westbrook like speed and size. I could see him making the Rookie-sophomore game.
Malcolm Miller looked good too. He has the tools to be our next Danny Green. Whenever he shoots, it feels like it’s going in.
Ivan Playoff
Junior
And1: 389

Post#52 » by Ivan Playoff » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:27 pm

It's one preseason game and already my mind is melting!!!

Thomas was quicker and smarter than I expected. His role isn't that complicated so he looks very promising but minutes at 2 are not in his favour.

Then, we will play Fred at shooting guard to close games.

Davis looks more versatile than Powell. That's one preseason game in.

Norm can't play point and puts the small in SF. He's an average shooting guard but does nothing well enough to be distance himself from just any old shooting guard.

Norm has earned a chance to start but his three ball or defense better be lights out or we've seen enough.

I'd rather have Danny Green back.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,353

Post#53 » by tdotrep2 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:31 pm

Drfunk33 wrote:It sounds like a lot of you were listening to Leo's slurpy praise of Davis and not actually watching the game. Very confused by the reaction here. Despite looking, physically, like an NBA player, Davis appears to have very low basketball IQ. In addition to the bad shots and turnovers, he made the wrong read on several plays - notably on a few fastbreaks where he nearly turned the ball over on bad passes. Even simple passes were often jumbled but eventually recovered by teammates. It could just be first game jitters, so I'm willing to wait and see - but I was not nearly as encouraged as some on this board.

Stanley Johnson was also trash. Very uncreative as a finisher, poor handle, poor shooter, sloppy passer... not impressed.

Matt Thomas, on the other hand, was exceptional, I thought. He made the correct reads on just about every play. He did a great job swinging the ball, cutting hard, making open shots. Also - a very small item - but he made good entry passes and when he received the ball back immediately passed back into the post and reset the player. Very encouraged by his play. We'll need all the shooting we can get this season without Kawhi's ability to bail us out.

I was pleasantly surprised with Oshae Brissett's ability to slash and hustle. Really impacted the game.

eww, trash troll account gtfo pathetic
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,511

Post#54 » by S.W.A.N » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:34 pm

I want Davis sent to the G League. Start grooming him to be a full time pg. His potential is scary high for an undrafted guy. Could be our next Fred, but with more athleticism and size :o :o

As for all the OG hate. You all need to stuff it. Three and D small forwards who can guard positions 2-4 and hit the three. We have exactly one. He's going to be fine and fits his role perfectly. He'll look much better playing with Lowry and Gasol. Heck most of the wings will look better once Gasol and Lowry out there.
We the North
Jim Todd Jr.
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,483

Post#55 » by Jim Todd Jr. » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:22 pm

I usually dont drink the Koolaid, but every day I feel a little bit more like Davis II has a real role on this team.

Heres why:

1. Fred has adopted him, and lets be real - this is the year Fred takes over the leadership of this team.

2. He has a unique skillset at an extremely thin position for us.

3. Nurse has now talked him up multiple times in pressers since the start of camp.

4. We gave him a 3 year deal, not a 2 way.

He may not start over Norm but Im gonna guess their minutes wind up very close by year end.
Chips with the dip baybeeee.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#56 » by navyblue » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:33 pm

its a small point, but i have seen it mentioned incorrectly a few times already.

Terrance davis signed a 1+1 team option contract, not a 3 year deal as mentioned.

thomas signed a 3 year deal, with the last year non guranteed.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#57 » by Psubs » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:37 pm

Drfunk33 wrote:It sounds like a lot of you were listening to Leo's slurpy praise of Davis and not actually watching the game. Very confused by the reaction here. Despite looking, physically, like an NBA player, Davis appears to have very low basketball IQ. In addition to the bad shots and turnovers, he made the wrong read on several plays - notably on a few fastbreaks where he nearly turned the ball over on bad passes. Even simple passes were often jumbled but eventually recovered by teammates. It could just be first game jitters, so I'm willing to wait and see - but I was not nearly as encouraged as some on this board.

Matt Thomas has played a couple of seasons in Europe already. TD is raw, but we see more star potential over Powell. He should spend most of the year with the 905 running a pro level offense. Some are jumping the gun about starting him at SG this year. :lol: He should be a rotation player next year and then maybe fighting to start.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#58 » by The_Hater » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:56 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:
SHFT wrote:Was only able to catch parts of the 2nd half but looking at the box score, Norm seemed to have a good game. What about his night makes you think he isnt the guy?

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app

He is what he is....actually would start him at SF. OG is def not the guy. My top 10 would be

Lowry
Thomas
Norm
Pascal
Gasol

FVV
Davis
OG
RHJ
Ibaka

As much as a like Thomas, starting him against a majority of the leagues starting SF’s would be a defensive nightmare. He’s too small, too weak and too slow.

OG should clearly start and help give the team a much needed defensive identity. That’s where this team is going to hang it’s hat. Thomas can be a rotation player with his shooting and court sense but shouldn’t have his minutes overextended so that he become diminishing returns.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#59 » by Scott Hall » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:00 pm

Good to see some people are finally waking up to the Davis and Thomas signings...

As someone who's been high on Davis since the start I thought today was a mixed bag for him he made a lot
of mistakes but you also could see the upside and all around game he has. At the very least we're looking
at a high end role player and that may be his niche. Davis did look shorter then I thought though on the floor.
Matt Thomas is the prototypical San Antonio Spurs type player.

People gotta stop living in fantasy land with Norman Powell though he wouldn't start for most teams in
the league he's inconsistent and is 26 already.
cbosh4mvp
Suspended
And1: 805

Post#60 » by cbosh4mvp » Wed Oct 9, 2019 12:19 am

Davis reminds me of Josh Richardson. Anyone else feel that way? Thomas reminds me a little of Reddick.

Return to Toronto Raptors