How good was Giannis' MVP season?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Rate his regular season MVP

GOAT
5%
Top 10
13%
Top 20
34%
Top 30
18%
Outside top 30
31%

Total votes: 152

EasternHeretic
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

How good was Giannis' MVP season? 

Post#1 » by EasternHeretic » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:28 pm

Far as regular season go, is it in the top 20 all time?
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,228

Re: How good was Giannis' MVP season? 

Post#2 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:34 pm

Why is GOAT even an option...?
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#3 » by Pennebaker » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:34 pm

It would rank as LeBron's 4th best season, so it's really very good. Top 20.
EasternHeretic
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Post#4 » by EasternHeretic » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:02 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:Why is GOAT even an option...?

More dominant than Shaq in the paint
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,047

Post#5 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:08 am

EasternHeretic wrote:

I wouldn’t say that, but he can do other things that Shaq never could
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,556

Post#6 » by sikma42 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:12 am

Not even top 50 regular seasons of all time

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,182

Post#7 » by CodeBreaker » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:29 am

EasternHeretic wrote:

Not even close. Hope you're joking
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#8 » by homecourtloss » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:33 am

sikma42 wrote:Not even top 50 regular seasons of all time

:lol:

30+ PER, .290 wins shares per 48+, 10+ Box-plus minus, 7+ value over replacement player has been done 10 times in NBA history (since early ‘70s at least).

LeBron in 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013
Jordan in 1988, 1989, 1991
Curry in 2016
David Robinson in 1994
Giannis last year

http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/u43lY

Even a 28+ PER, .275 WS/48+, 9+ Box pus minus, 7+ VORP has only been done 16 times

http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/Kr2tT

That’s before we even mention his RPM, AuPM, RAPM, PIPM Numbers that measure his impact that puts him into into rarefied territory as a DPOYish caliber player who’s the first option on offense.

Giannis had a special, special year
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
sikma42
Lead Assistant

Re: China cancels NBA stuff / Silver issues statement (pg1) /Ongoing discussion... 

Post#9 » by sikma42 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:41 am

homecourtloss wrote:

30+ PER, .290 wins shares per 48+, 10+ Box-plus minus, 7+ value over replacement player has been done 10 times in NBA history (since early ‘70s at least).

Curry in 2016
David Robinson in 1994
Giannis last year

That’s before we even mention his RPM, AuPM, RAPM, PIPM Numbers that measure his impact that puts him into into rarefied territory as a DPOYish caliber player who’s the first option on offense.
Depends what you value. What happened to Giannis in the playoffs was forseeable. Better players prepare there teams for the that stuff (Ive watched Kobe and Lebron do for years). Giannis plays basketball like he is playing checkers. He never thought ahead. For that reason, as great as the numbers looked...the holes were there all season. Its hard to overlook this when Ive seen stars intentionally take there foot off the pedal to get there teams to play championship basketball. So if the goal of the regular season is to prepare to a win a championship...i dont have Giannis too high up there.

GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,271

Re: China cancels NBA stuff / Silver issues statement (pg1) /Ongoing discussion... 

Post#10 » by GusT15 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:56 am

sikma42 wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:

Curry in 2016
David Robinson in 1994
Giannis last year

Depends what you value. What happened to Giannis in the playoffs was forseeable. Better players prepare there teams for the that stuff (Ive watched Kobe and Lebron do for years). Giannis plays basketball like he is playing checkers. He never thought ahead. For that reason, as great as the numbers looked...the holes were there all season. Its hard to overlook this when Ive seen stars intentionally take there foot off the pedal to get there teams to play championship basketball. So if the goal of the regular season is to prepare to a win a championship...i dont have Giannis too high up there.

The goal of the regular season is to make the playoffs with the highest seed possible while staying healthy and well conditioned.

This is a regular season thread.One would only mention the playoffs if he had a personal agenda against the player in question.
I don't suppose you have one...do you?
sikma42
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by sikma42 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:18 am

We disagree on the goal of the regular season. I have no agenda against Giannis, i really like him as a player and talent. But i believe the goal of the regualar season is to put yourself in the best possible position to win a chanpionship. Oftentimes that will coincide with the #1 seeds, but it doesnt have to be the case.

There are a lot of players throughout history that could have taken on a similar offensive role and resulted in better stats. They could have also had a great team record as well. But they knew what was needed to adapt in the playoffs and used the regular season to prepare.

GusT15 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:

Curry in 2016
David Robinson in 1994
Giannis last year

The goal of the regular season is to make the playoffs with the highest seed possible while staying healthy and well conditioned.

This is a regular season thread.One would only mention the playoffs if he had a personal agenda against the player in question.

GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,271

Post#12 » by GusT15 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:48 am

GusT15 wrote:

sikma42 wrote:We disagree on the goal of the regular season. I have no agenda against Giannis, i really like him as a player and talent. But i believe the goal of the regualar season is to put yourself in the best possible position to win a chanpionship. Oftentimes that will coincide with the #1 seeds, but it doesnt have to be the case.

There are a lot of players throughout history that could have taken on a similar offensive role and resulted in better stats. They could have also had a great team record as well. But they knew what was needed to adapt in the playoffs and used the regular season to prepare.

And,my personal favorite,the only difference between Giannis and Ben Simmons

Take it away Jack

Good day sir.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,165

Post#13 » by skones » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:53 am

Oh my, zip up the body bag.
sikma42
Lead Assistant

Re: China cancels NBA stuff / Ongoing discussion... 

Post#14 » by sikma42 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:57 am

GusT15 wrote:
GusT15 wrote:

sikma42 wrote:We disagree on the goal of the regular season. I have no agenda against Giannis, i really like him as a player and talent. But i believe the goal of the regualar season is to put yourself in the best possible position to win a chanpionship. Oftentimes that will coincide with the #1 seeds, but it doesnt have to be the case.

Take it away Jack

Good day sir.
I stand by everything i wrote. I also like Giannis and think he is a great talent.

My take on regular season applies to all players...not just Giannis.

Bigdave11
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#15 » by Bigdave11 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:17 am

Top 20 all time for sure

He was REALLY good
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,497

Post#16 » by old skool » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:33 am

I don't think there are very many of us capable of evaluating any individual MVP season within the context of every other MVP season. Heck, most posters on this site probably did not see Antetokounmpo very much last season. We only think we know what he accomplished, but that would be difficult to see from TV alone.
PicPock
Sophomore
And1: 194

Post#17 » by PicPock » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:57 am

GusT15 wrote:
GusT15 wrote:

Take it away Jack

Good day sir.

My wife does this trick to me every time we argue. She remembers everything :o
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Re: China cancels NBA stuff / Ongoing discussion... 

Post#18 » by Gooner » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:10 am

sikma42 wrote:
GusT15 wrote:
GusT15 wrote:

Take it away Jack

Good day sir.
I stand by everything i wrote. I also like Giannis and think he is a great talent.

My take on regular season applies to all players...not just Giannis.

As you should, everything you wrote is true. Giannis' game is manufactured in more ways than one.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#19 » by JN61 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:18 am

There has been so many good players in this league and so many who have had better seasons. It really is about drawing lines on water. I can't say but definitely there are a lot better seasons than his.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#20 » by freethedevil » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:43 am

homecourtloss wrote:

:lol:

Curry in 2016
David Robinson in 1994
Giannis last year

Even a 28+ PER, .275 WS/48+, 9+ Box pus minus, 7+ VORP has only been done 16 times

http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/Kr2tT

Giannis had a special, special year

You're so well versed in stats and yet you still use per. I don't understand.

Return to The General Board