ESPN Muzzles it's on air talent and refuses to allow them to speak on Hong Kong

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Bottomsouth
Pro Prospect
And1: 268

Re: ESPN Muzzles it's on air talent and refuses to allow them to speak on Hong Kong 

Post#41 » by Bottomsouth » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:52 pm

Haven’t watched ESPN for the most part since I was a kid/teenager. They have gotten to political and I think quality has gone down the drain. Nonetheless, they shouldn’t be scared to go full (Please Use More Appropriate Word). Weak.
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Re: ESPN Muzzles it's on air talent and refuses to allow them to speak on Hong Kong 

Post#42 » by Triples333 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Triples333 wrote:This is NOT the Kaepernick story people. This is much, MUCH bigger and involves two superpowers with a very tenuous relationship where the only common ground is commerce.

The NBA can do without China, but it would be at the cost of hundreds of billions of capital to them, networks like ESPN, endorsement deals to players (rest assure, the players do NOT want a feud with China, that's why they have not spoken up), etc. China does not want to lose the NBA either, but they have the upper hand in this discussion.

It is unfolding as predicted so far. Inevitably unless Silver backs off his stance even further, we will likely lose their business in the near future. It will hurt the NBA (endorsements lost, cap money for teams plummet, and networks/the league lose their largest growing market), but from MY angle I say good riddance (easy to say for me/us with essentially nothing at stake).

You just have to understand that this is a situation that has massive implications and that memo from ESPN to its employees is as predictable as the sun rising. It would have been beyond wreckless not to proceed cautiously here.

I would love to learn what % of the NBA's yearly earnings comes from the Chinese market.

I could not speculate, but I do know that they had a 5 year, 700 million dollar deal with Chinese media conglomerate "tencent" (their first, trial deal) to air NBA games, and that it went extremely well. That was up for renegotiation this year. Not to mention the brand deals for both teams and players, along with a company like Nike that gets untolds amount of revenue from Chinese NBA fans. You think kids in China are allowed to walk around in their Lebron/Kyrie jerseys right now or that their parents are buying them the new KD's this week? I doubt very many.

I know that a lot of the price valuations of NBA teams is also built within the knowledge that it inudes the growth potential globally (namely being China where most of their efforts were focused and the fan base is massive). And we have to understand that in a nation like China, they ultimately completely control all commerce. Tencent does not get to negotiate their next multi billion dollar deal with the NBA unless the powers that be allow them. But with how much money is at stake for not just the NBA but companies like Disney and Nike, it actually is tough to imagine them not smoothing this over.

That said, rest assure the funding to the Indian market (that has already been talked about this summer) is about to see a huge uptick this season.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#43 » by ATRAIN53 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:03 pm

what a shock, a Disney owned company not wanting to be controversial....

At least the The Ringer has some teeth - they print stuff that gets GM's fired!
I bet they will give Morey a platform to speak his side too - if he wants to.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,541

Post#44 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:12 pm

Triples333 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Triples333 wrote:This is NOT the Kaepernick story people. This is much, MUCH bigger and involves two superpowers with a very tenuous relationship where the only common ground is commerce.

The NBA can do without China, but it would be at the cost of hundreds of billions of capital to them, networks like ESPN, endorsement deals to players (rest assure, the players do NOT want a feud with China, that's why they have not spoken up), etc. China does not want to lose the NBA either, but they have the upper hand in this discussion.

It is unfolding as predicted so far. Inevitably unless Silver backs off his stance even further, we will likely lose their business in the near future. It will hurt the NBA (endorsements lost, cap money for teams plummet, and networks/the league lose their largest growing market), but from MY angle I say good riddance (easy to say for me/us with essentially nothing at stake).

You just have to understand that this is a situation that has massive implications and that memo from ESPN to its employees is as predictable as the sun rising. It would have been beyond wreckless not to proceed cautiously here.

I would love to learn what % of the NBA's yearly earnings comes from the Chinese market.

I could not speculate, but I do know that they had a 5 year, 700 million dollar deal with Chinese media conglomerate "tencent" (their first, trial deal) to air NBA games, and that it went extremely well. That was up for renegotiation this year.

I know that a lot of the price valuations of NBA teams is also built within the knowledge that it inudes the growth potential globally (namely being China where most of their efforts were focused and the fan base is massive). And we have to understand that in a nation like China, they ultimately completely control all commerce. Tencent does not get to negotiate their next multi billion dollar deal with the NBA unless the powers that be allow them. But with how much money is at stake for not just the NBA but companies like Disney and Nike, it actually is tough to imagine them not smoothing this over.

That said, rest assure the funding to the Indian market (that has already been talked about this summer) is about to see a huge uptick this season.

That's what I was thinking, India is probably looking on at this waiting to pounce.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#45 » by jason bourne » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:24 pm

I wouldn't go to ESPN to get political stories. They could discuss what the NBA is doing and today that is canceling of Lakers - Nets events and any media news. It will probably affect two other NBA teams over in Shanghai now. The China games are in jeopardy.

"The NBA has postponed Wednesday's scheduled media sessions in Shanghai for the Brooklyn Nets and Los Angeles Lakers, and it remains unclear if the teams will play in China this week as scheduled.

The teams were practicing in Shanghai on Wednesday, where at least two other NBA events in advance of the start of the China games were called off as part of the ongoing rift that started after Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey posted a tweet last week that showed support for anti-government protesters in Hong Kong.

"Given the fluidity of the situation, today's media availability has been postponed," the league said."

They should send Dennis Rodman over to show them Morey's IQ chart
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/10/09/nba-postpones-media-sessions-shanghai
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#46 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:28 pm

clyde21 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
Which side of the aisle is pro-china? This is all about their global brand not politics.

Same diff - I agree. Don't get involved in anything controversial

i wonder if this would be the sentiment if it were Jews being thrown in concentration camps in Xinjiang and not Muslims, but I digress

No, you certainly don't...even if the organization decides not to take some sort of public stance, to preemptively muzzle its members is cowardly.

People can say 'stick to sports', but right now what is happening with the NBA in China IS sports.

We have heard Silver's public statement about not interfering with the free expression of its players and other members, I wonder what is going on behind the scenes in NBA offices. Are they really sticking to their guns and not attempting to control the discussion (I hope...), and willing to accept the ramifications ($$$)? Are they encouraging players not to stir things up? Or maybe they're sitting around nervously looking Twitter, hoping some player doesn't blow things up next.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,826

Post#47 » by Karate Diop » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:09 pm

Most ESPN analysts / anchors barely know the sport they're tasked with discussing, it's probably for the best that they not speak politics... And I say this while not supporting any of China's blatant human rights denial campaigns.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,528

Post#48 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:33 pm

Anyone who watches ESPN to keep up to date on human rights violations occurring throughout the world is not going to be well informed about such matters.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#49 » by Buzzard » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:35 pm

I just watched ESPN's front woman, Rachel Nichol's spouting the company line and talking about how uncomfortable it is for the players. No mention about how uncomfortable the slave child labor is or freedom of speech. Of course the players are uncomfortable, they all know what is right but talking about it will cost them millions. We are seeing some true colors shining through with all the silence and the color is green. Morey sure knows how to get a topic up front in the spotlight.

Its all about the dollars. The NBA, ESPN, and most of the players prefer selling their brands so everyone is being politically correct. LeBron, Durant, AD hiding when they are usually tweet megastars. My hats off to Silver, Harden, Doc, and Pop who at least spoke up on freedom for speech.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
tyguy
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#50 » by tyguy » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:39 pm

13th Man wrote:This is hypocritical of them. They are ok tackling other SJW issues but are avoiding this one like the plague.

Either put up or shut up altogether.

100%, somebody remind them of this the next time there is some leftist out rage that gets their anchors to step on their soap box "to use their platform for a greater good."
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#51 » by Darknemo2000 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:48 pm

Sofia wrote:Not mad. Sports channel focuses on sport.

Agreed but why they used to make comments about Trump, LGBT etc before and used to pat each other on the back for that?

Sport doesn't need politics in it but it should go to all politics and not just some.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,541

Post#52 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:27 pm

I'm pretty certain that the NBA must have told the players to fall back here and let Silver handle things and take the heat. As a collective, that's the wisest decision for both the league and players. Silver got up, apologized for offending, and then rightfully defended Darry Morey's right to free speech as an American. I'm not sure why some of you folks are upset that the players or coaches aren't going gung ho in this situation especially when most likely not a lot of them understand the situation regarding Chinese Sovereignty and the issues with HK, Tibet, etc like they do the ongoing social issues here in the United States...only a fool offers an opinion about something he doesn't know anything about. It isn't really reported in the American mainstream news media, in fact this is the most attention it has gotten.

Fact is, I think some of you just want them to start talking **** about China for your own agenda, which I suspect isn't in good faith from some folks on here, because you're upset that coaches like Pop and Kerr took aim at particular social issues which tends to send folks who lean a certain way politically on here into fits of rage.

That being said, sports has always carried political undertones to it, especially since the days the pro leagues started integrating. This isn't anything new....so to the folks that keep screaming "KEEP POLITICS OUT OF MUH SPORTS!", you're either very, very ignorant of US history, or you've got blinders on. Probably a bit of both.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#53 » by sacking123 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:30 pm

azcatz11 wrote:This is nothing new and nothing surprising. This has been their stance for over a year now (maybe 2) ESPN refuses to get into politics and alienate 50% of the population

which all NBA employees should also realise
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,886

Post#54 » by Jabroni Lames » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:34 pm

Sofia wrote:Not mad. Sports channel focuses on sport.

ESPN doesn't focus on sports either.

DBCJUN
Freshman
And1: 58

Post#55 » by DBCJUN » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:39 pm

This is ESPN's MO, Bill Simmons spoke in length about how ESPN goes out of its way to stay á politcal.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,466

Post#56 » by Harry Garris » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:20 pm

clyde21 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:This is nothing new and nothing surprising. This has been their stance for over a year now (maybe 2) ESPN refuses to get into politics and alienate 50% of the population

wait, ESPN refuses to get into politics? since when? lol

I realize like a lot of people you probably don't watch ESPN anymore but they changed their stance on it and have had a no politics rule for almost 2 years now.
bongmarley
Veteran
And1: 1,152

Post#57 » by bongmarley » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:11 pm

First take craps on Trump all the time. How can they say they are not political
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,043

Post#58 » by Lalouie » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:25 pm

here's the bigger picture. I don't hear pops or LeBron or curry or anyone airing their righteous indignation.

money talks
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,867

Post#59 » by MotownMadness » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I'm pretty certain that the NBA must have told the players to fall back here and let Silver handle things and take the heat. As a collective, that's the wisest decision for both the league and players. Silver got up, apologized for offending, and then rightfully defended Darry Morey's right to free speech as an American. I'm not sure why some of you folks are upset that the players or coaches aren't going gung ho in this situation especially when most likely not a lot of them understand the situation regarding Chinese Sovereignty and the issues with HK, Tibet, etc like they do the ongoing social issues here in the United States...only a fool offers an opinion about something he doesn't know anything about. It isn't really reported in the American mainstream news media, in fact this is the most attention it has gotten.

Fact is, I think some of you just want them to start talking **** about China for your own agenda, which I suspect isn't in good faith from some folks on here, because you're upset that coaches like Pop and Kerr took aim at particular social issues which tends to send folks who lean a certain way politically on here into fits of rage.

That being said, sports has always carried political undertones to it, especially since the days the pro leagues started integrating. This isn't anything new....so to the folks that keep screaming "KEEP POLITICS OUT OF MUH SPORTS!", you're either very, very ignorant of US history, or you've got blinders on. Probably a bit of both.

Lol you only like them talking politics cause they act like liberal puppets. Trust me im sure if you tuned into watch sports and had to listen to Pro Republican talk instead you would sing a different tune.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#60 » by scrabbarista » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:30 pm

. edited and reposted

Return to The General Board