ImageImageImageImageImage

Davis should start

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,497

Re: Thomas and Davis 

Post#61 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Oct 9, 2019 12:52 pm

VanVleet, who also went undrafted and opted to sign with the Raptors, has taken Davis under his wing and is giving him some tough love amidst the support.

“He’s been good. He’s been aggressive (but) there’s a lot of room for growth,” VanVleet said when asked by the Toronto Sun about what he has seen from Davis so far.

“He’s got to get a lot better obviously to be able to help this team but you see flashes. You see what he brings to the table. But he’s kind of in an awkward position. I know they’re asking him to do some primary ball-handling which is probably not natural for him so I think in a more traditional second unit with a point guard (on the floor with him) he can play off the ball more,” VanVleet said.

“But he’s got the right approach. He works and the talent will show when it needs to show he’s got a bright future and we are all trying to help him and speed up his learning curve. He’s got a lot to learn as well but you like what you see from him.”

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/vanvleet-giving-new-raptor-davis-advice-and-tough-love
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#62 » by durka » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:33 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
VanVleet, who also went undrafted and opted to sign with the Raptors, has taken Davis under his wing and is giving him some tough love amidst the support.

“He’s been good. He’s been aggressive (but) there’s a lot of room for growth,” VanVleet said when asked by the Toronto Sun about what he has seen from Davis so far.

“He’s got to get a lot better obviously to be able to help this team but you see flashes. You see what he brings to the table. But he’s kind of in an awkward position. I know they’re asking him to do some primary ball-handling which is probably not natural for him so I think in a more traditional second unit with a point guard (on the floor with him) he can play off the ball more,” VanVleet said.

“But he’s got the right approach. He works and the talent will show when it needs to show he’s got a bright future and we are all trying to help him and speed up his learning curve. He’s got a lot to learn as well but you like what you see from him.”

https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/vanvleet-giving-new-raptor-davis-advice-and-tough-love

Love how fred is becoming such a leader. This is that championship DNA everyone always talks about and now we're seeing it first hand.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#63 » by Dalek » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:01 pm

Loved what TDII showed in the game even if he took and missed some bad shots from outside. He has obvious bounce, and aggressiveness that really remind me of Eric Bledsoe. I think he will have a better outside game, but I just see a lot of similarities, especially how he likes to go for at the rim shot contests.

Matt Thomas missed I think three open threes. I know he has a great rep from Europe, but I don't want a hot and cold type guy like CJ Miles.

Last game Malcolm Miller did more in shorter time. Theoretically he is a better defender with his size. Over his short career playing in the NBA he has made 43% of his threes.

I would like to remind people that Thomas is practically on a minimum deal, so while it is better than non-guaranteed deal that Miller is on, I don't think it is automatic that Thomas makes the cut. Maybe they are leaning that way, but I think Miller is a better player.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#64 » by Indeed » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:22 pm

I really think Davis skill set is the missing piece on the starting lineup, but he is unlikely to be ready this year.
Meanwhile, Thomas is an option off the bench, where he maybe great to play with Gasol against bench unit.
My expectation on OG is 3+D. I don't think he can improve his handle, but his slashing playing at SF wouldn't be bad.
Powell plays like a SF, but at the size of Guard who can't finish at rim, so if he can settle for long range jumpers he should be more consistent, but if he tries to drive, it would be a disaster.

Johnson really disappointed me, with RHJ was very limited as well being in SF size. I am not sure we can play both non-shooter off the bench together. I think they should fight for the SF spot, while Boucher may play the PF role with Ibaka. Will watch the next game and see.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#65 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:37 pm

Dalek wrote:Loved what TDII showed in the game even if he took and missed some bad shots from outside. He has obvious bounce, and aggressiveness that really remind me of Eric Bledsoe. I think he will have a better outside game, but I just see a lot of similarities, especially how he likes to go for at the rim shot contests.

Matt Thomas missed I think three open threes. I know he has a great rep from Europe, but I don't want a hot and cold type guy like CJ Miles.

Last game Malcolm Miller did more in shorter time. Theoretically he is a better defender with his size. Over his short career playing in the NBA he has made 43% of his threes.

I would like to remind people that Thomas is practically on a minimum deal, so while it is better than non-guaranteed deal that Miller is on, I don't think it is automatic that Thomas makes the cut. Maybe they are leaning that way, but I think Miller is a better player.

I think Matt Thomas went 2 for 5 from deep. So that's 40% and if he hits 1 of those open ones in the future 3 for 5 is 60%. :D
It's been 1 game, so you can't judge hot/cold guy.

JJ Redick is a starter in the NBA and getting paid above average money. Look at his box scores and he's streaky too. A team just needs enough shooters so as a team it averages out and not all of them will have a cold game.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#66 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:40 pm

Indeed wrote:I really think Davis skill set is the missing piece on the starting lineup, but he is unlikely to be ready this year.
Meanwhile, Thomas is an option off the bench, where he maybe great to play with Gasol against bench unit.
My expectation on OG is 3+D. I don't think he can improve his handle, but his slashing playing at SF wouldn't be bad.
Powell plays like a SF, but at the size of Guard who can't finish at rim, so if he can settle for long range jumpers he should be more consistent, but if he tries to drive, it would be a disaster.

Johnson really disappointed me, with RHJ was very limited as well being in SF size. I am not sure we can play both non-shooter off the bench together. I think they should fight for the SF spot, while Boucher may play the PF role with Ibaka. Will watch the next game and see.

Off the bench shooters, FVV, Thomas, OG, Boucher
Non-shooters, Stanley, McCaw, RHJ, Hernandez (though he seems like he could become like Gibson)

The non-shooters would provide average defense and hustle.
gregdj
Starter
And1: 251

Post#67 » by gregdj » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:40 am

Indeed wrote:I really think Davis skill set is the missing piece on the starting lineup, but he is unlikely to be ready this year.

Let's not put that into the universe, if Davis has the type of mindset and work ethic that FVV has.... We're gonna see this.
Lowry
Davis
O.G.
Siakam
Gasol
Boucher
Ibaka

Before the end of this season. There will be some mix up in rotation and we'll get to see the 2 undrafted studs play together. FVV deserves to start but not over Lowry. They could start FVV at the 2 but they need him to lead and maintain consistency in the 2nd lineup.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#68 » by Indeed » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 am

gregdj wrote:

Let's not put that into the universe, if Davis has the type of mindset and work ethic that FVV has.... We're gonna see this.
Lowry
Davis
O.G.
Siakam
Gasol
Boucher
Ibaka

Before the end of this season. There will be some mix up in rotation and we'll get to see the 2 undrafted studs play together. FVV deserves to start but not over Lowry. They could start FVV at the 2 but they need him to lead and maintain consistency in the 2nd lineup.

This is the lineup that I have been thinking, but would wait until the end of pre-season to determine.
The question is Boucher (ready yet?) and Johnson (more expensive than RHJ/Boucher). I think Thomas would have his role as well.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#69 » by Indeed » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 am

Psubs wrote:

Off the bench shooters, FVV, Thomas, OG, Boucher
Non-shooters, Stanley, McCaw, RHJ, Hernandez (though he seems like he could become like Gibson)

The non-shooters would provide average defense and hustle.

I wouldn't call OG a shooter regardless of him coming off the bench or starting.
Meanwhile, McCaw may not be a shooter, but I think he can take the corner 3s, so not exactly a non-shooter either.

The question is, would Miller be above RHJ or Johnson? Miller has been with the team for a while, and he deserves as much chance as the others. What makes RHJ and Johnson better than Miller?
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#70 » by hype_2004 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:56 am

Asif16 wrote:Davis is so versatile.

He can Defend, Score, Handle, Rebound, Shoot pretty well....this dude is gonna be a key role player for us

Again why was this guy not a 1st round pick? Attitude?Age? Size? Surely it's not skill and athleticism as this guy has loads of it and then some.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#71 » by Boogie! » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:49 am

Your Powell assessment is way off. It really seems like no one has a proper understanding of Powells game. Like they watch one play where he misses a layup and act like that's the epitome of who he is as a player.

Powell is actually one of the few people on the team that I actuallry trust to finish in traffic. He doesn't have the craftiness or body control of a guy like DeMar, but his length and athleticism allows him to get his shot off with guys around him. The only other player thst I can definitively say is a better finisher is pascal siakam. Again I have no idea how you think uncoordinated og can be a slasher tppe while suggesting Powell is a disaster driving to the paint. It's just completely inaccurate.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,823

Post#72 » by Duffman100 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:56 am

hype_2004 wrote:
Asif16 wrote:Davis is so versatile.

He can Defend, Score, Handle, Rebound, Shoot pretty well....this dude is gonna be a key role player for us

Again why was this guy not a 1st round pick? Attitude?Age? Size? Surely it's not skill and athleticism as this guy has loads of it and then some.

My guess is a combo of 4 year senior, high turnover guy, and his shot is a little suspect.

People get so obsessed with youth, they forget you can build a bench out of these guys.
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,029

Post#73 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:40 am

Davis is a stud
Ganjamayne
Starter
And1: 5,308

Post#74 » by Ganjamayne » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:06 am

Davis looks great, wonder how many games we play until he starts
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#75 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:53 am

both look pretty good

idk how the team does it but we get better undrafted guys than most teams do with their firsts
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#76 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:58 am

Stanley is not on my top ten..neither is McCaw.
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#77 » by tor1234567 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:08 am

Reeko wrote:It is going to be beautiful to watch the ball get kicked out to Matt Thomas and just know in your heart of hearts that the ball is going in. No anxiety, no desperation just a calm confidence that we are about to get 3 more points on the board.

On a scale of 1 to Redick, how automatic is he?

I haven't been watching preseason, but I'm intrigued with having a true gunner being able to hit threes off the dribble.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#78 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:09 am

Ganjamayne wrote:Davis looks great, wonder how many games we play until he starts

Davis doesn't start. I think he is playing great and has great potential, but Norm is ahead of him. We need talent on the bench too. Remember when the bench mob held or extended leads a couple years back. They even got us back in games some nights. Davis is needed for that role.

Thomas plays better defense than I thought he would. He passes the ball well and I don't remember any turnovers. I don't see any panac in his game, which I thought might be there on the big stage. Yes, he shoots threes, but on this team you can't embarrass yourself with porous defense or not protecting the ball.

Now Stanley, I think the panac is with him. He needs to relax when he has the ball.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#79 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:09 am

tor1234567 wrote:
Reeko wrote:It is going to be beautiful to watch the ball get kicked out to Matt Thomas and just know in your heart of hearts that the ball is going in. No anxiety, no desperation just a calm confidence that we are about to get 3 more points on the board.

On a scale of 1 to Redick, how automatic is he?

I haven't been watching preseason, but I'm intrigued with having a true gunner being able to hit threes off the dribble.

His release isn’t reddick fast but he’s pretty much automatic if he gets the space
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,260

Post#80 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:15 am

Looks like we have too many SGs now; Powell, TD, Thomas, and sometimes FVV. What will our rotation look like? Can one of these guys play SF? OG is going to need some help

Return to Toronto Raptors