Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,828

Re: Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China 

Post#61 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 am

paulbball wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
paulbball wrote:
1. Western perspective: China overreacting and flexing their economic muscle in silencing a Western critic in support of Hong Kong 'protests'. China is abusing human rights and supressing the freedom of the people of Hong Kong.

2. Chinese perspective: speech is free, but consequences are not. China is punishing NBA's refusal to fully refute and apologize for Morey's statement in support of Hong Kong 'riots' and independence movement. Chinese culture is sensitive to Western meddling in its territorial affairs due to historical reasons (outlined from a Chinese perspective here by Nets owner Joe Tsai: https://www.facebook.com/100001583307192/posts/2653378931391524?sfns=mo)

Note: Joe Tsai's framing of this is from a pro CCP angle. He does present valid facts, but be wary that he is also spewing propaganda on behalf of the Chinese government, who has him by the balls.

I already miss Mikhail Prokhorov. He was owned by the Russian mob but FFS nothing as awful as this situation happened while he owned the team. And I was happy to see Tsai buy the team because he's a person of color like I am but I cannot condone shilling for the CCP.

Man, you are accusing a Taiwanese American of spouting CCP propaganda.

Why is it so difficult to acknowledge that there is more perspective than a Western perspective? When anything that doesn't align with your perspective becomes CPP propaganda. It seems that Chinese perspective is not possible without you'all calling it CPP propaganda. Perhaps we should be calling Western perspectives CIA backed propaganda.

Because calling people protesting against extradition laws "separatists" is a huge red flag. It's blatant gaslighting. Joe Tsai saw an opportunity to move the Nets into the spot that Houston abandoned the moment Morey sent out that tweet and I find it to be shameful.

Joe Tsai's bread is buttered in China. I'm not stupid enough to believe that he would bite Xi's hand on behalf of American free speech. Why would he?

Also, Joe is a Taiwanese-Canadian, not an American.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Re: Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China 

Post#62 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:17 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:OK so lets assume the Chinese GOV is upset with the NBA. How exactly does that translate to financial losses? Have the games been banned there?

They can stop all NBA operations, stop televising games, advertising etc. It's not unprecedented for China to go to such extreme measures.
Why so serious?
jimmy_smith
Bench Warmer
And1: 914

Post#63 » by jimmy_smith » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:28 am

If you thinks it is only Chinese goverment that up set about the tweet, you don't know anything about it.

It's the other way around, Chinese people ARE up set about the tweet.
Weibo (china twitter) had been bombing with furious user's comment about Morey's twitter THEN the chinese goverment start to take action to make their people happy.

This NBA ban in china get full support by it's people, they compare it to Sterling's incident and call the NBA hypocrite by handle it differantly.
KC: Do you still think your a championship caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if i'm wrong
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,974

Post#64 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:32 am

scrabbarista wrote:Read the thread title and remember that this is the result of a single tweet that said, "Fight For Freedom. Stand With Hong Kong." Really think about that. And then dare to take a side.

Personally, I don't believe the CCP would jeopardize that much money for a single tweet, but assuming they would, imagine how insecure you have to be as a government to light billions on fire for seven harmless little words that were there for like an hour and then were erased. If you ask me, the CCP is a tottering regime that will go to insane lengths to protect its "legitimacy" domestically.

And I don't think it's just the money that's at stake for the CCP. I think that if the CCP bans the NBA (or, to a far lesser extent, the Houston Rockets), it will do more harm to its rule in China than good. I believe the silent majority of Chinese understand their government is extremely crappy, to put it mildly. When you see loud Chinese voices shrieking online for Chinese sovereignty and nationalism, blah blah blah, what you're mostly seeing is fear and self-interest. Most of those same people would do anything to get out of their country if they could. That's my opinion as someone who lived in China and Taiwan, speaks some Chinese, and has followed China news nearly every day for about ten years. I don't know who'll agree with me on these boards, but I truly believe that the CCP needs the NBA more than the NBA needs China. If the NBA sticks to its guns and we end up seeing a Berlin '89 or USSR '91 situation in China in the next five years, remember this comment.

I had a similar thought process today. The optics of banning a sporting event that everyone loves would be so bad. What if a tweet by Daryl Morey provides the spark to bring down the CCP? What a world.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,672

Post#65 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:32 am

jimmy_smith wrote:If you thinks it is only Chinese goverment that up set about the tweet, you don't know anything about it.

Weibo (china twitter) had been bombing with furious user's comment about Morey's twitter THEN the chinese goverment start to take action to make their people happy.

This NBA ban in china get full support by it's people, they compare it to Sterling's incident and call the NBA hypocrite by handle it differantly.

On the other hand, if they didn't support the government's actions, they wouldn't be able to tell us, would they? When the voice of the Chinese people is controlled and suppressed by the Chinese government, how are we supposed to recognize their true voice? In country where dissent is punishable by death, "full support" is a meaningless phrase.
jimmy_smith
Bench Warmer
And1: 914

Post#66 » by jimmy_smith » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:45 am

scrabbarista wrote:
jimmy_smith wrote:If you thinks it is only Chinese goverment that up set about the tweet, you don't know anything about it.

On the other hand, if they didn't support the government's actions, they wouldn't be able to tell us, would they? When the voice of the Chinese people is controlled and suppressed by the Chinese government, how are we supposed to recognize their true voice?

You will kidding yourself if you think Chinese people support Hongkong riot. They HATE each other with passion.
To the point that when Chinese government approval start to drop, they will try to take jab at Hongkong to make it's people happy (Like Trump does with mexico, except in this case, 90% of the country is conservative).
KC: Do you still think your a championship caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if i'm wrong
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#67 » by Pennebaker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:51 am

scrabbarista wrote:

On the other hand, if they didn't support the government's actions, they wouldn't be able to tell us, would they? When the voice of the Chinese people is controlled and suppressed by the Chinese government, how are we supposed to recognize their true voice?

There are 80,000 American citizens that live and work in China. They have Chinese friends and Chinese co-workers. They discuss things like censorship and how regular Chinese people feel about it (most are indifferent). No one is getting arrested for this. Most educated and worldly Chinese people actually like their government and they know full well why Americans think that they shouldn't.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#68 » by dangermouse » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:05 am

Chinese Citizen here and I am outraged about these comments! (+5 social credit points)

This has nothing to do with Chinese Communist Party! (+5 social credit points) I am an independent person with my own thoughts and ideas! (-5 social credit points)
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#69 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:06 am

jimmy_smith wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

You will kidding yourself if you think Chinese people support Hongkong riot. They HATE each other with passion.
To the point that when Chinese government approval start to drop, they will try to take jab at Hongkong to make it's people happy (Like Trump does with mexico, except in this case, 90% of the country is conservative).

Also, except Mexico isn't part of America. No wonder Hong Kong is protesting.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#70 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:17 am

Pennebaker wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

There are 80,000 American citizens that live and work in China. They have Chinese friends and Chinese co-workers. They discuss things like censorship and how regular Chinese people feel about it (most are indifferent). No one is getting arrested for this. Most educated and worldly Chinese people actually like their government and they know full well why Americans think that they shouldn't.

I lived and worked in China for 13 months. (Also lived another 5.5 years in East Asia.) I had Chinese friends and co-workers there. I still have Chinese friends. I've had those conversations. There's a difference between liking your government and not being allowed to criticize it. My point is that the CCP makes it impossible to tell the difference.

I have a great Chinese friend, an emigrant who left the country because of the persecution of Christians. Her dad is still back in China, and she's afraid to even talk about God with him on the phone because of what might happen to him. I don't know what you mean by "worldly" - whether or not she fits that description - but she's highly educated and most certainly does not fit your sweeping generalizations.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#71 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:21 am

dangermouse wrote:

Chinese Citizen here and I am outraged about these comments! (+5 social credit points)

This has nothing to do with Chinese Communist Party! (+5 social credit points) I am an independent person with my own thoughts and ideas! (-5 social credit points)

Bruh. You forgot to give yourself a name like "Don Johnson" or "Jimmy Smith." You wanna be a real Wu Mao or just an amateur?
PG24
Junior
And1: 252

Post#72 » by PG24 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:24 am

Hell of a tweet, Morey.

Surreal what became of it.
Bet on yourself and believe in yourself if everybody doesn't believe in you. F--k everybody else. What do they know? If you have a passion and you want to put the work into something, then chase it. If it means something to you, chase it.

- Kevin Garnett
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#73 » by CptCrunch » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:27 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
paulbball wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Note: Joe Tsai's framing of this is from a pro CCP angle. He does present valid facts, but be wary that he is also spewing propaganda on behalf of the Chinese government, who has him by the balls.

I already miss Mikhail Prokhorov. He was owned by the Russian mob but FFS nothing as awful as this situation happened while he owned the team. And I was happy to see Tsai buy the team because he's a person of color like I am but I cannot condone shilling for the CCP.

Why is it so difficult to acknowledge that there is more perspective than a Western perspective? When anything that doesn't align with your perspective becomes CPP propaganda. It seems that Chinese perspective is not possible without you'all calling it CPP propaganda. Perhaps we should be calling Western perspectives CIA backed propaganda.

Because calling people protesting against extradition laws "separatists" is a huge red flag. It's blatant gaslighting. Joe Tsai saw an opportunity to move the Nets into the spot that Houston abandoned the moment Morey sent out that tweet and I find it to be shameful.

Joe Tsai's bread is buttered in China. I'm not stupid enough to believe that he would bite Xi's hand on behalf of American free speech. Why would he?

The protest has not been about extradition laws for months. The extradition law has been declared dead since July 09.

There are countless videos like this of peace loving freedom fighters fighting for freedom

oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#74 » by oceanlife » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 am

Pennebaker wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

Of course the Chinese love their government. There's a few reasons why.

#1 The Chinese government is making their citizens rich. The US government is letting their citizens be eaten alive by financial parasites. Big difference in priorities. Now, it's not all roses in China, but if you look at the trajectories and the individual worker the Chinese man is getting richer while the American is getting poorer.

#2 The Chinese teach their kids to love their country, Americans don't. History Classes in American schools tend to highlight everything we did wrong in the past, from slavery, to killing Indians, to oppressing other countries, if you've been to American schools you've learned all this. But in China, how shall I put this, imagine a Donald Trump Rally with more discipline, that's a Chinese history class. Get educated in China and you'll think China is fantastic.

#3 America has media that is controlled by international corporations while China is state controlled. Basically in America you have a small group of companies, some people put it at 6, that run 95% of all media in America. Every one of those companies has a large foreign ownership component. Many of them run programming that is negative to America. China does not allow such negative media. Chinese media trains the citizens to love their people and government, American media trains you to be critical of your people and government.

I'd still take America 10/10 times over China, but I understand why they are so unified.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#75 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:42 am

paulbball wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
paulbball wrote:

The protest has not been about extradition laws for months. The extradition law has been declared dead since July 09.

There are countless videos like this of peace loving freedom fighters fighting for freedom

Everyone knows the CCP uses staged "protesters" for propaganda purposes. Whether these were those, I have no idea. (I think not.) What I do know is that whenever a government becomes destructive of the rights of the people to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, those people have the right to abolish it. I also know that experience shows that people are disposed to suffer while evils are sufferable rather than to abolish the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train (no pun intended) of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government.

I'm not going to get into a video-sharing contest with you, showing a defenseless protester being beaten to a pulp or shot in the eye or gassed mercilessly or struck with clubs by gangsters while police turns their backs for every act of vandalism that you show. Because I've already made the point that those videos would make: when people destroy everything they know, it's because everything they know has become unbearable.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#76 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:37 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:OK so lets assume the Chinese GOV is upset with the NBA. How exactly does that translate to financial losses? Have the games been banned there?

Yes.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#77 » by Jim Naismith » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:58 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Yes.

Only G-League games
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,136

Post#78 » by Chandan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 am

jimmy_smith wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

it's weird. back when Hong Kong was like 16% of China's GDP, whenever China encounters natural disaster, Hong Kong residence would donate millions and millions to disasters relieve. How quickly they forget once they got some money.
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#79 » by Rockice_24 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:02 am

How does this affect the Chinese businesses? They have to be taking a big hit financially too right? I mean the NBA is huge there so boycotting it has to be hurting their bottom line too. Anyone with insight on that angle. If it's bad for them it makes me think they'll eventually come to an agreement for their own prosperity, no?
Nutty Nats Fan
General Manager
And1: 4,947

Post#80 » by Nutty Nats Fan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:07 am

azcatz11 wrote:
oceanlife wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Can someone explain to me in like 2 sentences why China cares about a Morey tweet and why this has turned into such a cluster?

China is testing the western world's resolve like the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park tested their cage. If they can get the Rockets to shut Morey up then it sends a clear message to all other businesses to stay in line and not cross China.

It's not just Morey's tweet, China is censoring western movies, influencing the news we watch, and even manipulating opinions on social media social media (China is investing hundreds of millions into Reddit). It's a big deal.

Thanks man.

-Signed
Ignorant American

If you want more recent examples, google Blizzard. A streamer mentioned free HK on a live stream during a tournament, and Blizzard responded by taking away his prize money, banning him from competition, and also firing the two commentators on the stream for not denouncing the free HK comment made by the streamer (they didn't say anything).

Just a tad, waaaay overkill.

Return to The General Board