Last call, does anybody still think Zion will underwhelm in his rookie season ?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Do you think he'll be a bust ?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Yes, I do
29%
Nah
71%

Total votes: 157

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Re: Last call, does anybody still think Zion will underwhelm in his rookie season ? 

Post#21 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:47 pm

Lol. I'm putting money down on Zion to win ROTY as I did with Luka last year. Easy money.

Zion is easy to bash and people criticize his height, weight etc. but he's still taller than Draymond Green and way more athletic.
ProcessMeUpFam
Senior
And1: 1,033

Re: Last call, does anybody still think Zion will underwhelm in his rookie season ? 

Post#22 » by ProcessMeUpFam » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm

DCRYsing89 wrote:I think it’s possible, he could just end up a glorified Jerami Grant

But most likely he beasts it

:noway:
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#23 » by Drygon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm

No. Zion is far too talented to actually be underwhelming...

He's definitely legit and will easily win the ROTY-award bar injuries.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#24 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 pm

LastNameEver wrote:
koningcosmo wrote:totally depends on what expectations you have for him. if you talking about the hype comin in then yeah he will underwhelm. if you talking my personel expectations then no because i dont see him as an new Lebron

This conversation is not for people who are buying into LeBron hype, that debate is for people commenting under ESPN clips.

The only thing i see that looks like LeBron is the force and athleticism he attacks the rim with. It either move or its gonna hurt. At least in college anyways but im not sure if anyone in the Pros will slow him down either.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#25 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 pm

But yeah hes too freakish not to have a big impact on both sides. He'll do alot of pacing around the rim just looking for any opportunity to attack it.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#26 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Isn’t his shot chart all within 5 feet from the basket?
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,667

Post#27 » by Johnny Fontane » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Nah. The league is all in on him and completely shilling for his success. Zion's going to get the calls Curry or Giannis get where you practically can't breathe on them or they're blowing the whistle. The league will prove a point to teams that he's the new golden child and I truly believe he's going to get whatever he wants in the paint/have a huge year as long as he stays healthy
Memgrizz0
Sophomore
And1: 251

Post#28 » by Memgrizz0 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Considering his defense is trash, and he had a team worst -17, and the team ran as an actual team without him in there, I’m not saying anything definitive right now
Memgrizz0
Sophomore
And1: 251

Post#29 » by Memgrizz0 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:01 pm

MotownMadness wrote:But yeah hes too freakish not to have a big impact on both sides. He'll do alot of pacing around the rim just looking for any opportunity to attack it.

You clearly don’t watch him on defense
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#30 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Memgrizz0 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:But yeah hes too freakish not to have a big impact on both sides. He'll do alot of pacing around the rim just looking for any opportunity to attack it.

You clearly don’t watch him on defense

Ive watched him in college alot and looked good to me. Are you talking about some preseason?
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,495

Post#31 » by The4thHorseman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:I mean, Zion is being compared to Lebron... who is in the MJ conversation for GOAT. How could he possibly live up to THAT kind of hype?

That said, Lebron was extremely inefficient in his rookie year.... a ORTG of 99 and a TS% of .488, which we now know to be really bad. Zion will probably exceed that.

Actually that isnt that bad when you factor in that James played 79gms at 39.5mins per game. Especially considering he was only 4mos. removed from High School.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,130

Post#32 » by Funcrusher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:05 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:Isn’t his shot chart all within 5 feet from the basket?

And that's a bad thing?
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Funcrusher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Memgrizz0 wrote:Considering his defense is trash, and he had a team worst -17, and the team ran as an actual team without him in there, I’m not saying anything definitive right now

lmao, based off of one preseason game. Have you actually watched him in college?
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#34 » by LastNameEver » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 pm

Funcrusher wrote:

And that's a bad thing?

People think an usersized big consistently getting shots at the rim is an indictment.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#35 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Impressive dunks, but wow does he look fat for an NBA player. Especially one that is only 18-19. I just can’t see how that is a good thing.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Funcrusher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:19 pm

LastNameEver wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:

And that's a bad thing?

People think an usersized big consistently getting shots at the rim is an indictment.

Seriously. Would you rather him take mid-range shots or even threes than the most statistically efficient shot in the game (layups and dunks)? Like, people realize that's essentially Giannis' shot chart, right? Who is a superstar. A. Superstar.
knicks512
Junior
And1: 1,127

Post#37 » by knicks512 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
LastNameEver wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:And that's a bad thing?

Seriously. Would you rather him take mid-range shots or even threes than the most statistically efficient shot in the game (layups and dunks)? Like, people realize that's essentially Giannis' shot chart, right? Who is a superstar. A. Superstar.

People are more concerned with being right than they are with being honest about how easy it is for this guy to get points against grown men in the NBA. At 19.
Wolf of Ball St
Junior
And1: 519

Post#38 » by Wolf of Ball St » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Even if he plays well, there will always be haters. See LeBron, year 17. This kid is a special talent, can’t we just embrace his greatness without diluting it to comparisons and whether he’ll be in the GOAT conversation? Stop comparing him to Barkley, Blake and LeBron. I just want this kid to be the best version of Zion he can be. I’m content with enjoying the moment and enjoying the spectacle. I mean, I’m not tuning into a preseason game between the Bulls and Pelicans if he’s not there. Excited to see what he becomes.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#39 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Simmons25 wrote:Yeah... his body. He is an injury waiting to happen and I can't see him going 82 games.

I am a little on board with his body needing to be better conditioned, but I don't see it as a injury waiting to happen frailty situation at all.
I think his body type is so uncommon in the NBA that nobody can really say for certain what impact it will have, but I compare him to a RB and do think his knees will be trashed by age 25 if he doesnt bring that weight down some
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Smirk
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#40 » by Smirk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Sometimes I look at these threads and wonder "Have any of these people ever watched him play?" and "Are they that butthurt that they didn't win the lottery that they have to attack him?"

Strange.

He's a hard worker, a good kid, always smiling. I don't understand how anyone could possibly hate him if they've heard him talk. Total team guy, everything you want in a kid.

And he is so SKILLED. Watch him. Really watch him. The way he moves with the ball in his hands. The way he moves without it. His basketball IQ, situational awareness, passing, ability to find spaces to attack the rim. He is impressive.

The -17 is a bit ridiculous. He was playing with starters and they played like absolute DOODOO. Jrue and Lonzo and Ingram kind of looked like they didn't care at all tonight, and Zion was in with them a lot.

Its only when all the backups came in that were hungry for minutes that the Pels caught absolute fire and the Bulls went completely away from what was winning the game for them.

Zion will be good. Period.

Return to The General Board