Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Re: Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China 

Post#81 » by Pointgod » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:08 am

oceanlife wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
On the other hand, if they didn't support the government's actions, they wouldn't be able to tell us, would they? When the voice of the Chinese people is controlled and suppressed by the Chinese government, how are we supposed to recognize their true voice?

There are 80,000 American citizens that live and work in China. They have Chinese friends and Chinese co-workers. They discuss things like censorship and how regular Chinese people feel about it (most are indifferent). No one is getting arrested for this. Most educated and worldly Chinese people actually like their government and they know full well why Americans think that they shouldn't.

Of course the Chinese love their government. There's a few reasons why.

#1 The Chinese government is making their citizens rich. The US government is letting their citizens be eaten alive by financial parasites. Big difference in priorities. Now, it's not all roses in China, but if you look at the trajectories and the individual worker the Chinese man is getting richer while the American is getting poorer.

#2 The Chinese teach their kids to love their country, Americans don't. History Classes in American schools tend to highlight everything we did wrong in the past, from slavery, to killing Indians, to oppressing other countries, if you've been to American schools you've learned all this. But in China, how shall I put this, imagine a Donald Trump Rally with more discipline, that's a Chinese history class. Get educated in China and you'll think China is fantastic.

#3 America has media that is controlled by international corporations while China is state controlled. Basically in America you have a small group of companies, some people put it at 6, that run 95% of all media in America. Every one of those companies has a large foreign ownership component. Many of them run programming that is negative to America. China does not allow such negative media. Chinese media trains the citizens to love their people and government, American media trains you to be critical of your people and government.

I'd still take America 10/10 times over China, but I understand why they are so unified.

So you pretty much reinforcing the point that the Chinese population is fed a steady dose of propaganda and are essentially condition against dissent of their government... the fact that when you google Tiananmen square in China the information is essentially censored let’s you know everything about the Chinese government and its relationship to its citizens.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,539

Re: Teams are prepping scenarios where the cap is 10-15% lower due to the NBA situation with China 

Post#82 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:19 am

kuclas wrote:It’s always about the money. NBA stands to lose too much from China. Don’t want to get too political on these boards. But the USA doesn’t want to mess with China in general. And why they don’t go bomb North Korea cause that would upset the Chinese.
I don't know, as a geopolitical analysis it sounds a bit simplistic to me.
Слава Украине!
koogiking
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#83 » by koogiking » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:00 pm

Here comes the spin lmao these team owners are very savvy. They're always trying to find ways to take money from the players
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,981

Post#84 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:11 pm

koogiking wrote:Here comes the spin lmao these team owners are very savvy. They're always trying to find ways to take money from the players

Stop watching Alex Jones the owners didn't force Morey to send out the tweet with the intention of lowering league revenues thereby lowering the cap thereby lowering salaries.

That is next level crazy
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#85 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 pm

koogiking wrote:Here comes the spin lmao these team owners are very savvy. They're always trying to find ways to take money from the players

The owners are losing money here too. It’s why Tilman Fertitta was probably ready to murder Daryl Morey with his bare hands as of a few days ago.

The split of all total BRI (Basketball-related income) will not change. 51% to the players, 49% to the owners.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Post#86 » by cpower » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 pm

who would have thought the NBA salary is the first indicator of global recession?
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#87 » by spacemonkey » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:59 pm

The cap dropping by 15% immediately made me think of how that John Wall contract is going to look...
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,761

Post#88 » by Quattro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 pm

milkii wrote:NBA players are already overpaid.

Says who? Why should the owners take more of the share than the current split? Or do you go to games to watch Steve Ballmer and Mark Cuban?
GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,269

Post#89 » by GusT15 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:12 pm

spacemonkey wrote:The cap dropping by 15% immediately made me think of how that John Wall contract is going to look...

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#90 » by LofJ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:18 pm

cpower wrote:who would have thought the NBA salary is the first indicator of global recession?

It definitely isn't the first indication, that said the US-China trade war in general is what is going to tip the world into an economic recession. Basketball is just one of many industries that are getting financially hurt by the growing cold war between the US and China.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,779

Post#91 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Is China willing to lose the NBA's business over Morey's tweet? I don't see anyone raising that issue. If the sale of NBA jerseys goes way down, the folks who own the Chinese factory that makes them won't be happy. If there is no NBA on Chinese television, the Chinese television stations selling ad space to advertisers in the Chinese market won't be happy either.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,452

Post#92 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:01 pm

LofJ wrote:
cpower wrote:who would have thought the NBA salary is the first indicator of global recession?

It definitely isn't the first indication, that said the US-China trade war in general is what is going to tip the world into an economic recession. Basketball is just one of many industries that are getting financially hurt by the growing cold war between the US and China.

Eh, US-China has nothing to do with US EU trade wars, US Canadian ones. Brexit. GDP growth slowdown in India. Not sure you can link it to manufacturing slowdowns in Germany.

Plenty of factors from all over the world are driving the current economic "slow down" which may turn eventually into a downturn and then yes perhaps a recession.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#93 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:03 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Is China willing to lose the NBA's business over Morey's tweet? I don't see anyone raising that issue. If the sale of NBA jerseys goes way down, the folks who own the Chinese factory that makes them won't be happy. If there is no NBA on Chinese television, the Chinese television stations selling ad space to advertisers in the Chinese market won't be happy either.

I've raised it a few times in these threads. I've stated that I personally believe the answer is no. On one hand, I could be wrong, and on the other, the league will have to continue to stand by Morey for me to even have a chance of being proven right. But my reasoned belief is that no, China cannot afford to lose the NBA's business. And not just its business. More important, perhaps, is its cultural and symbolic importance. I can't help but believe (having lived in China and based on the Chinese people I know) that hundreds of millions of Chinese people recognize how silly it is that they could lose the NBA because of a single tweet - even many of the ones who vehemently take exception to the content of that tweet. If the CCP did the seemingly unthinkable and indefinitely banned the NBA outright, it would not contribute to the stability of its rule, which is the Party's primary concern in every decision it makes. The politburo is too smart not to know this. And that's to say nothing of the economic benefits of the NBA's presence. As I've said, that money flows both ways. And economic progress is the CCP's ostensible source of legitimacy in a mountain of domestic propaganda, so there's also that. It just wouldn't make sense for the Party to ban the NBA. With that said, knowledgeable dissidents have said that the Party's greatest weakness is its hubris. This might cause it to act against its own best interests. And lastly, the situation in Hong Kong (and how it is perceived in the mainland) is a constantly evolving unknown variable. As I think you implied by referencing the happiness of Chinese executives and business people - not to mention, the people they employ - the best way to understand the CCP is through the lens of power (not money), and, above all, domestic power over its own citizens. Until the Party perfects its ability to keep them from doing so through fear, science, psychology, and technology, it still has to keep its population content enough not to revolt. Whatever serves that end will almost always guide the Party's decisions.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,513

Post#94 » by ropjhk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:06 pm

This thread has been derailed. I was hoping for some discussion on how the hit to the salary cap would affect each team and which teams are poised to benefit and which teams would be most screwed over. Instead the political discussion just goes on.

I guess people don't care much about basketball anymore.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,105

Post#95 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:14 pm

ropjhk wrote:This thread has been derailed. I was hoping for some discussion on how the hit to the salary cap would affect each team and which teams are poised to benefit and which teams would be most screwed over. Instead the political discussion just goes on.

Or maybe people realize there are way more important issues going on right now than the **** nba
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#96 » by LofJ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:18 pm

ropjhk wrote:This thread has been derailed. I was hoping for some discussion on how the hit to the salary cap would affect each team and which teams are poised to benefit and which teams would be most screwed over. Instead the political discussion just goes on.

I think the teams that will be most negatively affected are the ones that will be over the lowered cap and still have players to re-sign. So teams like the Pacers (Sabonis), Celtics (Brown), Magic (Isaac, Augustin), and Nuggets (Beasley, Millsap, Plumlee) might need to find a way to cut future salary obligations or they could be forced to let some of these guys walk.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,676

Post#97 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:21 pm

LofJ wrote:

I think the teams that will be most negatively affected are the ones that will be over the lowered cap and still have players to re-sign. So teams like the Pacers (Sabonis), Celtics (Brown), Magic (Isaac, Augustin), and Nuggets (Beasley, Millsap, Plumlee) might need to find a way to cut future salary obligations or they could be forced to let some of these guys walk.

Wouldn't it affect teams with cap space too, though? Like, Brown and Sabonis may not get the money they want since a lot less teams would have max space
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#98 » by asdfgh » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm

The owners are going to lose money too, not just the players. Morey has really ruined the NBA.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,508

Post#99 » by sikma42 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:29 pm

Yes, they'd be willing to lose it if it came to that. Most difficult lose would be that Chinese people love basketball and it would cause issues there. But Chinese businesses are like the ones in the US, and government has a huge say in all aspects. If it comes to it...they will just suck it up and smile.
Curmudgeon wrote:Is China willing to lose the NBA's business over Morey's tweet? I don't see anyone raising that issue. If the sale of NBA jerseys goes way down, the folks who own the Chinese factory that makes them won't be happy. If there is no NBA on Chinese television, the Chinese television stations selling ad space to advertisers in the Chinese market won't be happy either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,545

Post#100 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:29 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:

Stop watching Alex Jones the owners didn't force Morey to send out the tweet with the intention of lowering league revenues thereby lowering the cap thereby lowering salaries.

That is next level crazy

The kooks are coming out of the woodworks over this issue.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to The General Board