Last call, does anybody still think Zion will underwhelm in his rookie season ?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Do you think he'll be a bust ?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Yes, I do
29%
Nah
71%

Total votes: 157

bdp31770
Junior
And1: 237

Re: Last call, does anybody still think Zion will underwhelm in his rookie season ? 

Post#41 » by bdp31770 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm guessing 16 pts, 8 rebounds per game his rookie year. Teams will figure him out, key on him, and slow him down some this season. Ultimately though I think he has prime Charles Barkley potential offensively (with better defense). He just has to keep working hard and stay healthy.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,727

Re: Last call, does anybody still think Zion will underwhelm in his rookie season ? 

Post#42 » by MarcusBrody » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:42 pm

I do agree that Zion does have to be careful that he doesn't let his weight rise, but people seem to forget that two of the most durable players ever - Lebron and Karl Malone - were athletic monsters who played at 260-275 for years. They both work really hard on their bodies, but they demonstrate that with some genetic luck, NBA players can be very muscular and very durable.
so_bored
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,053

Post#43 » by so_bored » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:47 pm

There is zero chance he will bust unless injuries derail him. It's so much easier to get to the hoop in the NBA than college. There's more spacing, no Centers roaming the paint. Zion's handles are decent enough, once he gets steam, there's no one that can challenge this freight train body on his way to the paint.

Also, typically players with trunk legs are less prone to injuries to their lower bodies. Lebron and Karl Malone are perfect examples.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#44 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:54 pm

He will be absolute beast, never doubted him.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#45 » by Foye » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:00 pm

I still think his career will go down the Blake Griffin part of never being the main man on a team with championship hopes.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#46 » by orlando_joe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:01 pm

not sure how to vote bust and underwhelm is big difference to me
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,622

Post#47 » by PlatinumState » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Smirk wrote:Sometimes I look at these threads and wonder "Have any of these people ever watched him play?" and "Are they that butthurt that they didn't win the lottery that they have to attack him?"

Strange.

He's a hard worker, a good kid, always smiling. I don't understand how anyone could possibly hate him if they've heard him talk. Total team guy, everything you want in a kid.

And he is so SKILLED. Watch him. Really watch him. The way he moves with the ball in his hands. The way he moves without it. His basketball IQ, situational awareness, passing, ability to find spaces to attack the rim. He is impressive.

The -17 is a bit ridiculous. He was playing with starters and they played like absolute DOODOO. Jrue and Lonzo and Ingram kind of looked like they didn't care at all tonight, and Zion was in with them a lot.

Its only when all the backups came in that were hungry for minutes that the Pels caught absolute fire and the Bulls went completely away from what was winning the game for them.

Zion will be good. Period.

For some reason people love to hate. I guess its easier
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#48 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:06 pm

DaGawd wrote:His defense has been kinda underwhelming

He was a fantastic defensive player at Duke with great instincts and he plays his butt off. As with most rookies, there will be defensive learning curve but he’s eventually going to be very good on that side of the ball.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Liminy
Junior
And1: 189

Post#49 » by Liminy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:i expect 18, 7 ,4, top twenty in steals and blocks, lots of getting lost on defense, and many lackluster games against smart defenses. I think thats fair. I think he will reach that. So I think he will Whelm, not overwhelm, not underwhelm

Way to low on the rebounds. I think he'll never be below 10 in his career and might peak near 15.
Liminy
Junior
And1: 189

Post#50 » by Liminy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:12 pm

I'm going to give myself credit for calling this before the Duke season started just by seeing the dude and he has exceeded expectations in every way, except shooting. 19.5 10.5 3.5 2.2 steals 1.7 blocks as a rook. No makes the payoffs if Lonzo or Ingram can shoot the 3. Dwayne wade plus 50 pounds of muscle.
rickbrunson
Junior
And1: 294

Post#51 » by rickbrunson » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:22 pm

FWIW, the criticism of Zion's game being all athleticism, no skill outside of 5 feet, and potential for injury, are all the exact same criticisms made of young Shaq when he came out. I remember all the old timers saying how Shaq needed to develop a skyhook, and that he wouldn't be able to just dunk it every time. Boy were they wrong.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#52 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Simmons25 wrote:Yeah... his body. He is an injury waiting to happen and I can't see him going 82 games.

Unfortunately this is kind of how I feel as well.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he can have a long, healthy career, but man, I just don't know.
The_Hater

Post#53 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:31 pm

rickbrunson wrote:FWIW, the criticism of Zion's game being all athleticism, no skill outside of 5 feet, and potential for injury, are all the exact same criticisms made of young Shaq when he came out. I remember all the old timers saying how Shaq needed to develop a skyhook, and that he wouldn't be able to just dunk it every time. Boy were they wrong.

The differences here are that A: Shaq didn’t need to play outside 5 feet because he was the biggest, strongest player in the league the moment he arrived. Zion is significantly shorter. B: that 5 foot criticism people make for Zion is simply incorrect. He can play PG ad he has the handle and passing skills of a guard so he can bring the ball up the floor and make plays. He had a dribble drive game as well. And while people criticize his shooting, it’s a weakness not something that is non existent like Ben Simmons the past 2 seasons. He did shoot 34% from the arc last season.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#54 » by Simmons25 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:34 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:Yeah... his body. He is an injury waiting to happen and I can't see him going 82 games.

Unfortunately this is kind of how I feel as well.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he can have a long, healthy career, but man, I just don't know.

I heard on ESPN that Zion weighs over 280 and is only 6ft 6"? I mean damn... when you compare that to someone like Joel Embiid who officially weighed in at 240 odd and is 7 feet.... and look how much of an issue his weight was on his knees and feet.

Zion is 40 pounds heavier and 6 inches shorter and on top of that spends most of his time landing from a huge height because of his athleticism. It's just not sustainable :o
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,091

Post#55 » by Funcrusher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:35 pm

Memgrizz0 wrote:Considering his defense is trash, and he had a team worst -17, and the team ran as an actual team without him in there, I’m not saying anything definitive right now

also, what does this even mean? Zion hardly had any plays ran for him ffs :lol:
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
The_Hater

Post#56 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:35 pm

orlando_joe wrote:not sure how to vote bust and underwhelm is big difference to me

You think he’s going to be a bust? What is that exactly? Anthony Bennett level? Olowokandi level? Greg Oden level? Andrew Wiggins level? John Wall level? Blake Griffin level?
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,195

Post#57 » by antonac » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:38 pm

My issue with Zion has never been he looks underwhelming, my issue with Zion is that he isn't a primary offensive option, he may eventually be the best defender in the league but that will depend on his attitude (and probably whether the coaches encourage him to take over offense at the expense of defense).

I think he'll have a highlights reel as long as anyone in the league, I think he'll have nice numbers, in the rook of the year hunt, I do think however the Pels will lose a lot of games.

18/8/2 for me. probably 2/2 steals and blocks
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#58 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
LastNameEver wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:And that's a bad thing?

People think an usersized big consistently getting shots at the rim is an indictment.

Seriously. Would you rather him take mid-range shots or even threes than the most statistically efficient shot in the game (layups and dunks)? Like, people realize that's essentially Giannis' shot chart, right? Who is a superstar. A. Superstar.

Well if he only has one way to score he will be easy to figure out. Isn’t this issue the same as Simmons?
Forum permissions