Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Re: Full strength lineup for 19-20 

Post#81 » by Sixerscan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:24 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Wouldn't that also be the plan for Embiid load management nights, though?

A few minutes ain't the worst, but what about 25-28 minutes of that combo at F?

Why would they play that much together? I don't think that really makes any sense. Harris will play like 33-35, Scott will play 28-30, one will be on the court at all times, that's 13-17 minutes together. When they're on the court they'll still be out there with some combination of good defenders. I think you've overblowing how bad the two of them are on that end also at least for regular season purposes, like we won regular season games starting JJ with Dario and playing both of them with Belinelli and TJ.

That being said I'm not like exactly expecting them to win at a 70 win pace with Embiid sitting.

Scott won't play 28-30 mpg. Last year was like a career high at 24 minutes per game (for the 76ers), and that's with the bench having only two playable non-Centers. Scott has been a 15-20 minute guy his whole career. He's fine for what he is: A 4.5 million dollar, 40% bench 3pt shooter. There's nothing wrong with him on this team.

Well yeah generally you're right but we were talking about specifically if they start Scott when Embiid sits.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#82 » by Kobblehead » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:53 pm

I just think this roster would be better served with a defensive-leaning player at the reserve F spot that Scott will be taking up.

When talking jumbo, F-sized players capable of defending the SF and PF positions, our roster is thin. We got Ben Simmons and that's it. Tobias Harris is a bad defender. Mike Scott is a bad defender.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#83 » by Ericb5 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I just think this roster would be better served with a defensive-leaning player at the reserve F spot that Scott will be taking up.

When talking jumbo, F-sized players capable of defending the SF and PF positions, our roster is thin. We got Ben Simmons and that's it. Tobias Harris is a bad defender. Mike Scott is a bad defender.

I agree with you that Simmons is our best defender of that position, but if we get into situations where we are getting killed there we would just use him, and then have a smaller player like Thybulle or Richardson guard Simmons' man.

Ideally we would have a bench player that could do it, but Scott is still a good bench player for us overall.

I don't think that Harris or Scott are such a liability on that end that we would be stuck in an exploitable bad matchup for them.

It is certainly a weakness of our team, but we don't have a lot of weaknesses, and we can scheme to minimize this.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#84 » by youngcrev » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:44 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I just think this roster would be better served with a defensive-leaning player at the reserve F spot that Scott will be taking up.

Agreed, but those guys tend to get paid more than what we had available if they are rotation worthy players. Wouldn't of minded Jared Dudley or Justin Anderson for the minimum over Korkmaz though.

Maybe they get used Scott's contract as salary ballast to match a deal for someone who fits the bill (like a lot of people wanted to do with TJ)
GuideDog
Junior
And1: 138

Post#85 » by GuideDog » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 pm

In a straight up deal, I'd take Josh Richardson over Jimmy Butler. Josh is more decisive moving the ball while Jimmy likes to hold it longer and that eats up the shot clock. That didn't work well in our system. And, Josh is much younger. Otherwise, both are nasty good defenders. Josh is a slightly better shooter and Jimmy is a slightly better passer, but neither by any significant margin.

I think we got the best of that deal.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#86 » by Ericb5 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:13 pm

GuideDog wrote:In a straight up deal, I'd take Josh Richardson over Jimmy Butler. Josh is more decisive moving the ball while Jimmy likes to hold it longer and that eats up the shot clock. That didn't work well in our system. And, Josh is much younger. Otherwise, both are nasty good defenders. Josh is a slightly better shooter and Jimmy is a slightly better passer, but neither by any significant margin.

I think we got the best of that deal.

I think we got the best of that deal too, but not because of Richardson vs Butler straight up. Butler makes three times as much money, and with the difference in the salaries we were able to get most of what it took to get Horford.

So really the deal was Butler and Redick for Horford and Richardson. That deal is a win for us.

We are better on defense, offense and chemistry wise, but we took a step back in the sense that we lost our go to guy down the stretch. We need to find someone to fill that role, and I’m not sure that he is on the roster right now.

It’s the role that we hoped Fultz could grow into, and the role that Butler had late last year. What wing player gets the ball late in games and scores one on one when the defense clamps down?

Without that guy we are going to have to be very disciplined, and will have very little margin for error at the end of games. If Simmons forces teams to guard him in space out to 18 feet it would go a long way, but he hasn’t proven that yet.

Still, we can’t expect to have a perfect team. Of all of the contenders this year, I think we have the best outlook over the next 5 years. Lebron is turning 35 in a couple of months, Curry, Westbrook, Harden and Durant are all in their 30’s now, and Giannis is by himself.

The Clippers are the only other team with two stars that are under 30.

We are in position to have a contending team this year, and for the foreseeable future. If we get bitten by not having the one on one wing scorer this year we can prioritize finding him next year.

With Richardson and Horford vs Butler and Redick we solved more problems than we created, but it wasn’t a full home run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GuideDog
Junior
And1: 138

Post#87 » by GuideDog » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Because we don't really have a weak link, teams can't successfully guard them one on one at the end of games. Our closer will change from game to game based on match ups.
Ericb5
RealGM

Post#88 » by Ericb5 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:33 pm

GuideDog wrote:Because we don't really have a weak link, teams can't successfully guard them one on one at the end of games. Our closer will change from game to game based on match ups.

If we succeed that will probably be how/why, but I have seen it a million times in the nba. The playoffs slow down, and defenses are good, especially the farther you make it.

If we are running up and down the court we can score on anyone, and if we can get the ball into Embiid and space the floor around him we can also score on anyone, but if the defenses pack the paint, ignore Simmons, and swarm Embiid, then who is going to punish them for that?

You need someone that has the ability to impose themselves on the defense in the half court from the perimeter.

Harris has a little ability to score one on one in the post, but he doesn’t have the handle to create it himself from outside. Simmons has the handle, and athleticism to do it, but he hasn’t yet shown the ability to create his own offense in that way, and in the playoffs they tend to dare him to do it.

Simmons is SO far away from being able to do it because he first just needs to force defenses to guard him. Getting to the point where defenses need to double him may not ever happen. He would have to improve so much to get to that point.

We don’t need that person to be a star player, but they have to have that skill. Lou Williams, or Terry Rozier types could do it. I think missing a guy like that is still a weakness for us, and potentially, guarding guys like that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Philadelphia 76ers