[Charania] The Houston Rockets have waived former No.1 overall pick Anthony Bennett

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

the sea duck
Pro Prospect
And1: 623

Re: [Charania] The Houston Rockets have waived former No.1 overall pick Anthony Bennett 

Post#41 » by the sea duck » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Bennett shouldn't have wheezed that statement about Hong Kong in between sprints.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Re: [Charania] The Houston Rockets have waived former No.1 overall pick Anthony Bennett 

Post#42 » by leolozon » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
Mogspan wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Disagree. His talent level was « lower end of the lottery in an average draft ». He was considered the 7th best prospect in what was considered one of the worst draft of all-time.

The Cavs being stupid doesn’t change the fact that many guys with his talent level are out of the league as fast as him.

If I pick my grandma with the number 1 pick and my grandma can’t make it into the NBA. It doesn’t mean my grandma is a bust, it means I was stupid to pick her there in the first place.

It's not all about pre-draft expectations. A bust can just be something whose value is much lower than what was given up to get it. Whether it's fair or not, the first overall pick was spent on him, and he was practically the worst player in the league. That makes him a bust, i.e., a failed pick.

This , he was first pick he was never injuried I mean couldn’t even back up at the end of bench . That’s bad

I still disagree with that definition. Expectations is the biggest part of it. Here's the definition that I found :

"A draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations."

It can’t be dependant on what team is picking first.

So according to you, if the Cavs were stupid enough to pick Romery Osby with the 1st pick in 2013, Romery Osby would now be the biggest bust of all-time?

No other team was picking Bennett 1st. So, if any other team ended up with the number 1 pick, Bennett would be less of a bust according to your theory. How can being a bust be dependant of the lottery, a random event? It’s about talent level and Bennett wasn’t a great prospect.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#43 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:19 am

leolozon wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Mogspan wrote:
It's not all about pre-draft expectations. A bust can just be something whose value is much lower than what was given up to get it. Whether it's fair or not, the first overall pick was spent on him, and he was practically the worst player in the league. That makes him a bust, i.e., a failed pick.

This , he was first pick he was never injuried I mean couldn’t even back up at the end of bench . That’s bad

I still disagree with that definition. Expectations is the biggest part of it. Here's the definition that I found :

"A draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations."

So according to you, if the Cavs were stupid enough to pick Romery Osby with the 1st pick in 2013, Romery Osby would now be the biggest bust of all-time?

No other team was picking Bennett 1st. So, if any other team ended up with the number 1 pick, Bennett would be less of a bust according to your theory. How can being a bust be dependant of the lottery, a random event? It’s about talent level and Bennett wasn’t a great prospect.

Are you talking about 2nd 53rd pick by the Oralando Magic ? How’s that even close to Benett being drafted number one overall
Mogspan
Senior
And1: 1,104

Post#44 » by Mogspan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:57 pm

leolozon wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Mogspan wrote:

What matters is what was given up to get him. Since he was taken that high, the Cavs must have had very high expectations. If you hit on 20 in Blackjack and go over 21, it's still "busting" even if no one else would have done the same thing.
Also, something that might surprise people. I think when it comes to athleticism, agility, physical attributes and skill I rate LeBron only in the top 50.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#45 » by LofJ » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:04 pm

The Cavs drafted for positional need in 2013, it's why they didn't make the smart call and draft Oladipo or Noel instead. They had just drafted Kyrie, Tristan, and Waiters and didn't want another guard or Center. They've learned that lesson, it's why they didn't hesitate to take Garland this summer.
ElodyTamTam
Junior
And1: 329

Post#46 » by ElodyTamTam » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:46 pm

homecourtloss wrote:Image

Do you have a YouTube link please? I'd love to hear commentary on this one.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,501

Post#47 » by DaPessimist » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:12 pm

I would've like to see how he developed if he were a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick.

One of the worst scouting jobs by NBA teams in history.
LeverRed
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#48 » by LeverRed » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:34 am

And the big surprise is ?
My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,494

Post#49 » by My Main Man » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:54 am

People talk about Wiggins not having passion but watching Bennett on the Wolves was maddening. When he felt like it (like twice a month), he was a monster. Made smart cuts to the basket, finished really hard, rebounded well, etc. Then he’d go back to looking like a frustrated kid whose parents were forcing him to play even though he wasn’t interested.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#50 » by TheBallsDeeper » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:15 am

Mogspan wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:This , he was first pick he was never injuried I mean couldn’t even back up at the end of bench . That’s bad

What matters is what was given up to get him. Since he was taken that high, the Cavs must have had very high expectations. If you hit on 20 in Blackjack and go over 21, it's still "busting" even if no one else would have done the same thing.

Most teams didn't have him at one - but they all would have had him in the first round. Even at pick 30 he is a bust, so you can continue to argue about your definition, but he is a bust.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#51 » by LibertyPrime » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:14 am

There was legitimately a long-running debate on the Wolves board over who was worse, Bennett or Adreian Payne. What a thrill-a-minute year that was.
"The last domino falls here!"
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#52 » by leolozon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:44 pm

TheBallsDeeper wrote:
Mogspan wrote:
leolozon wrote:

Most teams didn't have him at one - but they all would have had him in the first round. Even at pick 30 he is a bust, so you can continue to argue about your definition, but he is a bust.

My definition ? You mean the definition? I entered «draft bust definition » on google. It’s not mine.

Where did I say that he wasn’t a bust? He was considered the 7th best prospect in that draft, so he is a bust. I was answering someone saying that «he’s the biggest bust by far in the past 20 years.» Which is just stupid considering the expectations.

Even if you go by the definition of one of you; «what was given up for him», Bennett isn’t the worst bust. What was given up for him is Oladipo. What was given up for Oden is Durant. What was given up for Thabeet is Harden.

#1 or #2 picks don’t have the same value every year.

The black jack analogy is even an argument for
Me. If you hit 21 when you have 20 on the table, you bust, but it isn’t a worst bust than if you had 12, because the odds were better for you. Same thing with a draft, the better the odds are, the worst the bust is. The mistake is to not consider that 2013 didn’t have a great #1 pick and that Bennett was a reach. His odds of becoming a great player weren’t equivalent to those of an average #1 pick, far from it.
balrog27
Sophomore
And1: 149

Post#53 » by balrog27 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:31 am

Ballerhogger wrote:No good bye tour ? Biggest bust by far in last 20 years

what you talking bout mang? he's the biggest bust in the history of the entire NBA draft.

And I'm Canadian...lmao... really thought we had something by having 2 1st pick overalls

Return to The General Board